post #2611 of 2622 Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

That table is pretty cryptic, but I always assumed Front & Sub meant the sub gets: Front low frequencies ("low" meaning below the crossover) even when the fronts are set as Large, + LFE + low frequencies (below the crossover) of any other speakers set as small.

I hear ya on the cryptic comment. Definitely appreciate the exchange and explanations. I have a much better mental picture of what's taking place now.

Cheers

Love DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2622 Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone else noticed that Yamaha has announced new flagship separates, CX-A5000 pre-amp and MX-A5000 power amp. Since I've been using my Z11 in pre-amp mode all along for almost 6 years now I bit the bullet and pre-ordered a CX-A5000 to replace it.
post #2613 of 2622 Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Anyone else noticed that Yamaha has announced new flagship separates, CX-A5000 pre-amp and MX-A5000 power amp. Since I've been using my Z11 in pre-amp mode all along for almost 6 years now I bit the bullet and pre-ordered a CX-A5000 to replace it.

Very nice. I had not seen that Bill,

Where did you Pre-order from Bill - any wiggle room from MSRP?

Can't wait for your review.. I'll be anxiously awaiting the "5000" owners thread... biggrin.gif

Cheers

Love DIY
post #2614 of 2622 Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have one on pre-order also. Will be running it with Emotiva XPR-5s (x2) and XPR-1s (x2).

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #2615 of 2622 Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Very nice. I had not seen that Bill,

Where did you Pre-order from Bill - any wiggle room from MSRP?

Can't wait for your review.. I'll be anxiously awaiting the "5000" owners thread... biggrin.gif

Cheers

I ordered mine from A&B TV here in Austin (I've been dealing with them for about 20 years now). And yes, they did come off of MSRP for me. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

I have one on pre-order also. Will be running it with Emotiva XPR-5s (x2) and XPR-1s (x2).

I will be driving Outlaw Audio amps: 7900 for the 7 main channels and 4 2200's for the 4 presence channels.
post #2616 of 2622 Old 12-22-2013, 12:55 AM

Liked: 10
I'm trying to find the right settings to use for movies with my Yamaha Z11 so that I get sound from all four surround speakers (2 side and 2 back) and sound from my front presence speakers. When I put the amp in a DSP mode like Movie Spectacle I can clearly hear sound coming from the presence speakers but the surround is only coming from the side speakers (from a Dolby Digital 5.1 source like my Apple TV or most Blu-rays). If I put the amp in THX mode, the surround signal seems to come out both sets of rear speakers which sounds dramatically better in my room but there appears to be no sound at all from the presence speakers in that mode. All speakers are wired correctly and they work when I do the level test so the issue is not the hardware or connections but probably a settings issue.

So what I am looking for is specific guidance on the right settings for the amp so that all the speakers I have paid for are used and so that the amp will correctly output sound the surround channels when fed a 5.1 or a 7.1 signal. For the 5.1, I would expect it to send the same signal to all back channels (which is what the THX Cinema Ultra 2 appears to do) while still expanding the front sound stage via the presence speakers. For a 7.1 signal, I would expect to direct the signal to the side or rear surrounds as encoded on the disk again while still having the front presence speakers working.

Anybody know if the amp is capable of doing this and if so how? One other minor note, I do not have rear presence speakers just front presence.
post #2617 of 2622 Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelbab View Post

I'm trying to find the right settings to use for movies with my Yamaha Z11 so that I get sound from all four surround speakers (2 side and 2 back) and sound from my front presence speakers. When I put the amp in a DSP mode like Movie Spectacle I can clearly hear sound coming from the presence speakers but the surround is only coming from the side speakers (from a Dolby Digital 5.1 source like my Apple TV or most Blu-rays). If I put the amp in THX mode, the surround signal seems to come out both sets of rear speakers which sounds dramatically better in my room but there appears to be no sound at all from the presence speakers in that mode. All speakers are wired correctly and they work when I do the level test so the issue is not the hardware or connections but probably a settings issue.

So what I am looking for is specific guidance on the right settings for the amp so that all the speakers I have paid for are used and so that the amp will correctly output sound the surround channels when fed a 5.1 or a 7.1 signal. For the 5.1, I would expect it to send the same signal to all back channels (which is what the THX Cinema Ultra 2 appears to do) while still expanding the front sound stage via the presence speakers. For a 7.1 signal, I would expect to direct the signal to the side or rear surrounds as encoded on the disk again while still having the front presence speakers working.

Anybody know if the amp is capable of doing this and if so how? One other minor note, I do not have rear presence speakers just front presence.

In the owners Manual there is a chart that lists all the settings & what speakers they use - look there....

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #2618 of 2622 Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm trying to find the right settings to use for movies with my Yamaha Z11 so that I get sound from all four surround speakers (2 side and 2 back) and sound from my front presence speakers.

So what I am looking for is specific guidance on the right settings for the amp so that all the speakers I have paid for are used and so that the amp will correctly output sound the surround channels when fed a 5.1 or a 7.1 signal.

O, it's definitely capable of doing just that. I run all 11 channels religiously.. biggrin.gif

Hopefully it's just a settings issue - could be a hardware issue yet I doubt it. I don't have my manual handy yet dive back into the configuration pages on 7.1 and 3D audio. But remember, if your source isn't a 6 or 7 channel mix your "rear" surrounds won't function. Look on the front of your Z11 towards the right of the display where it depicts which channels are present- the little square blocks with L, C, R, etc. - if you don't see all 7 channels you aren't playing a 7 channel source.

Maybe tells us what is depicted on your Z11 display for both surround indications and channel presence.

Bottom line, the Z11 has all of the amps and processing to run all four presence speakers, 7 main channels and two subs simultaneously. That's why I own it as well - just need to figure out your settings. :-)

Cheers

Love DIY
post #2619 of 2622 Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks KJ. I think that the question I am asking is what should the settings be if you are listening to a 5.1 source (so not a source with the side and back channels) so that you can hear sounds from both the front presence speakers and the 4 surround speakers. I have tried to put the amp in Movie - Spectacle mode where I get sound from the presence speakers but only the two side surround speakers. If I put the amp into THX mode, I get sound from all four back channels but not from the front presence speakers in that mode. What am I doing wrong?

I am pretty sure that the movie spectacle mode will work fine with a 7.1 source (Dolby Digital EX?) but a lot of my devices (e.g. apple TV and most older dvds and blu-rays) do not export a signal for all channels.
post #2620 of 2622 Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks KJ. I think that the question I am asking is what should the settings be if you are listening to a 5.1 source (so not a source with the side and back channels) so that you can hear sounds from both the front presence speakers and the 4 surround speakers. I have tried to put the amp in Movie - Spectacle mode where I get sound from the presence speakers but only the two side surround speakers. If I put the amp into THX mode, I get sound from all four back channels but not from the front presence speakers in that mode. What am I doing wrong?

I am pretty sure that the movie spectacle mode will work fine with a 7.1 source (Dolby Digital EX?) but a lot of my devices (e.g. apple TV and most older dvds and blu-rays) do not export a signal for all channels.

Gotcha,
I didn't think you could matrix the rear/back channels of "non" 6 or 7 channel sources while in THX mode let alone presence channels - due to not meeting the THX specifications etc? Sounds like it will for the rears at least. Study the Cinema DSP modes and Cinema DSP HD3 modes. In order to play 5 channel or less sources back on all channels you need to have an applicable "decoder" selected and Cinema DSP HD3 activated. Having only front presence speakers will not prevent you from using the DSP HD3.

It's been quite awhile since I messed with those settings or looked at the manual myself. You have me curious now. biggrin.gif. Mine is set on Auto to where it decodes DTS or HD audio only for the source channels then adds in the Cinema DSP/HD3 presence channels/effects - I prefer Spectical, Sci-Fi and Adventure.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #2621 of 2622 Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM

KJSmitty had some questions about subwoofer outputs some time ago - last April. Better late than never.

The Z11 subwoofer crossover frequency is controlled by the front channel. If you change the fronts from small to large, the subwoofer output continues to use the most recent front crossover frequency from the small setting.

I recommend setting the sub configuration to stereo and using the 2 sub outputs for your 2 subs - the L sub gets L bass plus LFE, and the right sub gets R bass plus LFE.

I recommend setting Bass Out to SWFR. The fronts will roll off at the crossover frequency if they are set to small. If you set Bass Out to Front + SWFR, the fronts do not roll off when set to small.

It is best to set all speakers to small and use the same crossover frequency. Doing otherwise makes it impossible to get smooth bass response. I use the THX recommended 80 Hz for all speakers, even though my fronts are full range. I tried numerous settings and EQ approaches using the fronts as large and it always produced uneven bass response. I could get the sub response to look good, and I could get the front response to look good, but when I put it all together it would fall apart.

Part of my reason for using 80 Hz is that I EQ my subs to get a smooth bass response, and I want everything below 80 Hz to go through the EQ.

Room EQ Wizzard (REW) is excellent for measuring your room response, setting speaker levels, etc. You can purchase an inexpensive EQ box and use REW to EQ your subs to eliminate your room resonance modes (boomy bass). You can also EQ them to match a house curve which provides a rising bass output below the sub crossover point. This allows you to adjust the low bass level so that it is the same loudness as midrange in your room. Lots of info on their website.

If you use REW to EQ your subs, you can use the Z11 PEQ to EQ the other speakers to match the objective roll off curve in the bass region. To do this, you use the Bass Limited curve in REW and adjust the Z11 PEQ to match. You get 3 usable filter frequencies for each speaker/channel. This will help smooth out your bass response and prevent the other speakers from exciting a room resonance. They are still putting out a good bit of sound well below the crossover frequency.

The Z11 PEQ does not have sufficient resolution/filters/capability to EQ the subs.
post #2622 of 2622 Old 05-26-2014, 05:49 PM

Hi all,

I just picked up an RX-Z11 from surplus at work and I'm playing with its configuration.  I'm a little confused how the zone video works. Here's my setup:

Control:

Crestron X-Panel driven by Crestron MP2E

Sources (All HDMI):

Blu-Ray

ChromeCast

TiVo HD

Main Zone:

Epson 8700UB (HDMI)

7.1 Surround (using built in amplifiers)

Works flawlessly and awesomely.

Zone 2:

Panasonic PT-FW300 (HDMI or Component)

2 Ch Stereo.

Zone 3:

2 Ch Stereo Audio Only

No issues here.

Here's my issue.  The Z11 has 2 hdmi outputs, but the don't work simultaneously, right? I found a brochure that says they're supposed to (www.hi-def.ru/file_download/9).  I tried using Component out, but didn't get ANY video. Does it downscale HDMI signals to component?

I plugged in a composite source and tried that, but again, NOTHING. What gives? Zone 2 is on, and I've selected the source.

Also, the audio options stink! You can only select one digital source when using multi-zone and for it to work, Party Mode must be on.  When off, the digital audio input can only be used in the main zone.

I think I need a different receiver.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page