TV's speakers as center speaker using Onkyo 505 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I'm putting together my new surround sound in the next couple weeks and I am wonder how the heck can I use my TV's speakers (Aquos 46D62U) as my center speakers using my Onkyo SR505 reciever.

Is there a pre-amp connection on this reciever for DVD/CD/SAT/etc that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x View Post

Hey everyone, I'm putting together my new surround sound in the next couple weeks and I am wonder how the heck can I use my TV's speakers (Aquos 46D62U) as my center speakers using my Onkyo SR505 reciever.

Is there a pre-amp connection on this reciever for DVD/CD/SAT/etc that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.

If you can avoid it, just don't do it. The center channel is too important in a ss system to allocate a display's built in speakers. If you cannot get a separate center, then you may be better off setting up the receiver for a 4.1 system with a phantom center created by the Fl/FR speakers.

Cheers,

Gary
post #3 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Using your tv speakers is not the way to go for a center channel. There is just no way that can be a true dedicated center channel.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help. I actually decided to get PSB Mini Theater System for now. It has a center speaker so I will not have to worry about getting that out of my tv.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your help. I actually decided to get PSB Mini Theater System for now. It has a center speaker so I will not have to worry about getting that out of my tv.

Good boy!

Gary
post #6 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
xmaciek82x,

Don't mean to hijack your thread (looks like you're all set there anyway), but I was wondering -- how do you like the Onkyo 505 receiver? I've done searches, and there's not much feedback on that box here. It's on my short-list (want to avoid all the HDMI upscaling/downscaling mumbo-jumbo of the 605, and just use the receiver for SOUND--imagine that ).

Have you had any AV-synch problems? Crossover work well for adjusting the sub? Any issues with lack of power, or sound quality, etc?

Thanks!

Florida_Gator
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Gator View Post

xmaciek82x,

Don't mean to hijack your thread (looks like you're all set there anyway), but I was wondering -- how do you like the Onkyo 505 receiver? I've done searches, and there's not much feedback on that box here. It's on my short-list (want to avoid all the HDMI upscaling/downscaling mumbo-jumbo of the 605, and just use the receiver for SOUND--imagine that ).

Have you had any AV-synch problems? Crossover work well for adjusting the sub? Any issues with lack of power, or sound quality, etc?

Thanks!

I actually just got it yesterday... It's sitting in a box next to my Aquos and PS3... I'm closing on my house next week and I'm getting everything ready.
But I'm new to audio so my review will be useless, I did get the reciever for $200 so I know I won't be disapointed.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I actually just got it yesterday... It's sitting in a box next to my Aquos and PS3... I'm closing on my house next week and I'm getting everything ready.
But I'm new to audio so my review will be useless, I did get the reciever for $200 so I know I won't be disapointed.

No no, your review will NOT be useless! We have a PS3 also, so I'm wondering how it works with that for 5.1 sound (from games and moves). Looking forward to your review/feedback!

Where did you find it for $200!? PM me if you prefer... thanks!

Florida_Gator
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Gator View Post

No no, your review will NOT be useless! We have a PS3 also, so I'm wondering how it works with that for 5.1 sound (from games and moves). Looking forward to your review/feedback!

Where did you find it for $200!? PM me if you prefer... thanks!

I will let you know but like I said it will be probably another 2 weeks till I have everything setup.

Don't expect to get surround sound from the HDMI alone, from what I gathered, its passthrough only, so ur TV will get the sound. you will need to run optical digital output from ur ps3 to the reciever to get the surround sound going.

At first I didn't like that but now that I think about it, it won't be bad since I probably won't want surround sound ALL the time when I play PS3.

BTW. I PMed you the place I got the reciever from, I'm new to this forum so I don't know if they like us posting that type of stuff...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page