Is it ok to leave receiver on all the time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just have a quick question. I own the Onkyo 605. Is it ok to leave the receiver on all the time,or should I turn it off when my television is not on? Its in an open cabinet,so it gets plenty of air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd turn it off - more susceptable to surges if it is on. I can't think of any advantage to leaving the receiver on, other than wasting power - but hey, it's your dime

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #3 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok, thanks. Most of the time I do turn it off.There have been a few times I have left it on.
post #4 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I leave my Denon receiver on constantly (except for when I moved). No issues at all in 4 years. My ROTEL amplifier has also been on constantly for almost as long (except for when I moved). Advantages? Maybe not, but I would think it's actually better to just leave it On than cycling it On and Off repetitively.

The power used when left on is next to nothing, so that's a non-concern.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I leave mine on all the time too, budget onkyo receiver. It's been on for 2 years or maybe a little over without any issues. When I'm not using it I leave it on soft background music. If my dog doesn't hear anything he starts destroying the house. Leaving it on is much cheaper than buying new furniture and replacing chewed carpet.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're all just wasting power and natural resources. Turn your equipment off when you're not using it. It's solid state electronics. It's not magically going to break.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post

You're all just wasting power and natural resources.

Malarkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post

It's solid state electronics. It's not magically going to break.

The switch isn't solid state.

(btw, my universal player stays on all the time, too)

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I have left my Onkyo on Standby for about 6 years now and it still works great.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #9 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM

Liked: 12
Just get a universal remote & program it to shut off your tv, stb & reciever with one press of the power button, that's what I do.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

most people that repair electronics and are in the field will say that leaving stuff on is actually better for it because the on and off cycles are what kills stuff

wasting natural resources?, give me a break

-Gary
post #11 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

most people that repair electronics and are in the field will say that leaving stuff on is actually better for it because the on and off cycles are what kills stuff

This is true. Electronics 101.
post #12 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

wasting natural resources?, give me a break

-Gary

I've noticed the same with my PC's in the house. Mine always lasts longer than my wifes who turns hers on and off every day..
post #13 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I leave mine on 24/7. Never seems to hurt it. Greenpeace probably has me on their hitlist though.

Did you ever notice that lightbulbs die when switched on? It's probably the shock of a sudden current surge. The same theory may hold for other electronic circuits. I certainly don't believe in turning on and off PCs due to the HD having to spin up and spin down.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #14 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I leave mine on 24/7. Never seems to hurt it. Greenpeace probably has me on their hitlist though.

Did you ever notice that lightbulbs die when switched on? It's probably the shock of a sudden current surge. The same theory may hold for other electronic circuits. I certainly don't believe in turning on and off PCs due to the HD having to spin up and spin down.

Except that other circuits aren't running on absolutely tiny wire with enough current to cause it to glow. Your receiver is not susceptible to this. At all.

I don't know about your receiver, but mine is still quite warm when it's on and idle. It's definitely wasting power.

And for those of you that think that it just affects your electrical bill, think again. With so many people wasting power leaving things on (my dad and my sister always would leave TVs and lights and everything on), demand for power goes up and the laws of supply and demand state that it will get more expensive. It affects us all. The unit price of electricity would go down if we used less.

That said, I don't think we need to go overboard and shut off the main power to our houses when we're out, but why should a receiver be left on? I can see an argument for computers, but receivers? No.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #15 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Your receiver is not susceptible to this. At all.

Whether it will damage a receiver, I don't know, but there is a power surge when you turn a receiver/amp on.

Quote:

It's definitely wasting power.

I'm a liberal and I like Al Gore, but he wastes more energy than I EVER will flying all over the world giving lectures.

And that Live Earth concert? How much energy do you think Madonna wasted?

Quote:

...........................but why should a receiver be left on?

I like my receiver "fluffed" and ready to go.

post #16 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I'm a liberal and I like Al Gore, but he wastes more energy than I EVER will flying all over the world giving lectures.

And that Live Earth concert? How much energy do you think Madonna wasted?

Since when has it been okay to do something because someone else does something? I have no respect for Al Gore, Greenpeace or any of that crap; I merely think that my own electricity bill would be cheaper if people wouldn't leave their damn receivers on.

-Dan D.
post #17 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I merely think that my own electricity bill would be cheaper if people wouldn't leave their damn receivers on.

I know it all adds up, but I think that the amount of energy our equipment uses when left on all the time is such a teeny weeny, tiny amount of the country's total energy consumption that there are much more effective (and easily doable) ways to go about saving energy than simply turning off our receivers.

If we'd all switch to using those flourescent "light bulbs" instead of conventional light bulbs, for example, would save a huge amount of energy relative to what our equipment consumes.

post #18 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Much debated topic. I've been cycling audio gear on and off for years. Never had a problem. Seems logical to me not to waste the energy compounded exponentially, but hey, it's your equipment and your electricity bill. America is full of choices.

I will say this. In the summer IF I leave my amp and SSP on for extensive periods of time, my small dedicated room does get very warm. I know of a few people on here who live in warm climates year round that don't purchase class A amps due to the heat they generate. Higher energy cooling costs?

Winter time, it can be quite nice in the Northeast. Lower energy costs?

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #19 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we'd all switch to using those flourescent "light bulbs" instead of conventional light bulbs, for example, would save a huge amount of energy relative to what our equipment consumes.

I do use those.

-Dan D.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I know it all adds up, but I think that the amount of energy our equipment uses when left on all the time is such a teeny weeny, tiny amount of the country's total energy consumption that there are much more effective (and easily doable) ways to go about saving energy than simply turning off our receivers.

First, please tell me what method of saving energy could be simpler and cheaper to implement than turning off devices that aren't in use. I can't think of one. I don't turn devices off at the wall, but I do turn them off at the machine which switches quite a few of them into standby mode rather than completely off, but that still saves something.

Second, I swapped my light bulbs to energy saving compact fluoros and my first quarterly electricity bill after the change showed a reduction of around $2 in the bill so I did save some electricity. The bulbs cost me a bit over $100 to do the whole house (both figures in Australian $ and we're talking Australian electricity costsYMMV). The actual energy saving wasn't all that large and at this stage it's not looking like a particularly cost effective way for the consumer to reduce their energy use., even when you factor in the savings on bulbs over the longer life span of the compact fluoros.

There are definitely other ways to save power rather than switching things off. Class D amplification is more efficient than other classes of amplification, but changing amplifiers can get to be very expensive and may not be cost effective. Ditto for swapping any other component to a more energy efficient one. There's also the question of whether the energy savings at the consumer end require more energy expended in the actual production of the product. If they do, it might actually be more effective overall to go with something that uses a bit more at the consumer end but uses significantly less energy to make at the production end. Compact fluoros obviously cost more to make, hence their higher cost, but do they also require more energy to make than a standard light bulb and, if they do, how much does that extra energy used in production offset the later energy savings in use?

I could also save energy by using components less by watching less TV/video and listening to less music. I can use less light by going to bed earlier and not reading in bed. I could swap to eating meals that don't require cooking or heating. All of these represent pretty drastic changes to my lifestyle that I don't want to contemplate at this stage.

While I don't mind trying to conserve energy, I do object to doing so in ways that end up costing me a lot more than the energy I save would cost, that require me to change components which are still working well and don't require replacement, or that significantly impact upon my enjoyment of life. My experience with the light bulbs has taught me that this is a lot trickier area than we tend to think at the outset.

Turning things off when not in use, or at least to standby, actually looks more and more like the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. After that, I start to look at buying the most energy efficient devices that do what I want when it comes time to replace something, but part of 'what I want' is often performance quality and I'm unlikely to compromise on that in areas that are important to me.
post #21 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I turn Both of My vintage Receivers (marantz and Soundesign) off before I leave the house .

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #22 of 33 Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post

There are definitely other ways to save power rather than switching things off. Class D amplification is more efficient than other classes of amplification, but changing amplifiers can get to be very expensive and may not be cost effective.

I also support Class D, see title. I've got a UcD-based amp waiting to be built soon

-Dan D.
post #23 of 33 Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Wow, some people feel very strongly about this.

Tell you what, write to your representatives and suggest they push the AV manufacturers into a mandatory standbye mode that uses less power or something.

But first halt the sales of 10MPG SUVs. I think our gear is a drop in the bucket to those things.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #24 of 33 Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Much debated topic. I've been cycling audio gear on and off for years. Never had a problem.

Exactly. For you guys and gals arguing on here that turning on/off a receiver hurts it more than leaving it on.... what was the quote "Electronics 101" - well, how 'bout you explain that to me please?

See, i have all kinds of electronic stuff I turn off and on all the time. Been doing it for years. Never had a problem.

Electronics 101? How 'bout instead of reading electronic books, read your manuals for your equipment instead. Then get back to me with the page number where it says to "leave your gear on all the time as it is easier on the electronics then turning it off and on".

Computers - yes - leaving it on all the time is fine - that's what they're designed for (servers that is).

But to just belabour the point a bit longer - most of us here use a device that causes far more damage to it (especially in cold months) to turn it off and on than a measly power button on a receiver. Yet if you take care of these things, they'll last longer than any receiver out there (left on or not). Though to be honest, in the cold months, the diesel versions are left on as the cold will jelly up the diesel and you'll have lots of fun "turning that thing on".

As for the power consumption - you're right, especially in stand-by mode you're not going to use a lot of it. But to sit there and tell me that a receiver is more likely to fail if you turn it off and on then just leaving it on is a bunch of hogwash. I suppose you leave your TV's on too for the same reason?

If you took Electronics TWO 01, you'd have learned that they're DESIGNED to be turned off an on. If it fails, it has NOTHING to do with turning the machine off and on (unless the power supply was faulty to begin with. Then guess what? It would fail regardless).

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #25 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I turn mine off, but I really don't give a shite what anyone else does. If you really want to save energy, have less people.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #26 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 AM

I turn my electronics on and off and have never had anything blow up or fail on me. PCs are certainly the exception. I leave them on most of the time, because I have media center and dont want to miss recordings.

Arent there other reasons to turn off besides just electricity savings? For instance, if it's left on all the time, isnt there a chance it could overheat? I certainly worry about this with my PCs. Heaven forbid a fan should fail while the thing is on. Or if the cat were to squeeze up in there for a nice warm place to sleep and wind up suffocating the thing. I guess one step further, if there's a short while its on, I guess in very rare circumstances it could cause a fire, couldnt it? So just turn it off and on. At least you'll be there at the time and can handle whatever might happen.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"But first halt the sales of 10MPG SUVs. I think our gear is a drop in the bucket to those things."

Then you would just complain that something else took up more energy.

I'm amazed that there are so many intelligent yet ignorant people on here. The energy you'd save would easily cover a warranty on the item and the chance that turning it off is going to break is next to zero. The manufacturers warranty the item. They wouldn't do so if the thing was going to break when you turned it on and off.

Turning things off is the easiest thing to do to save energy. I hope you're all parents and you tell your kids how much you love them and want them to lead long and happy lives. Then you can leave the stereo on and go hop in the SUV and go for a drive.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=sivadselim]Whether it will damage a receiver, I don't know, but there is a power surge when you turn a receiver/amp on.

There is not a power surge, maybe a high current draw by the amplifier, which might cause lights to dim if your electrical is not up to snuff.
post #29 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

But first halt the sales of 10MPG SUVs. I think our gear is a drop in the bucket to those things.

Michael,

Agreed on the issue of the SUV's. I still see those beasts on the highway and even though the owners probably can afford to purchase and feed them, I feel pretty strongly there could be alternative means of transportation in most cases. However, I don't feel strongly enough to get into a verbal or written confrontation.

Our gear is probably a drop in the bucket as you suggest. I do think that America is a country where instant gratification is desired and drops seem meaningless. Yet, if enough people would contribute those drops in all areas of our lives, somehow, someway, exponentially the rewards could be reaped in energy consumption.

Sometimes it seems fruitless to get everyone on the same page these days with this stuff!! I am not the sky is falling kind of guy, but I do hope that my children's children don't have a heavy burden to bear for previous generations neglect.

Anyway, I still think most electronics are OK to cycle on and off. YMMV

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #30 of 33 Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

If it was a question of completely interrupting the power to the AVR then I would likely side with the "leave it on crowd" but many AVRs, like my Onk, go into standby whereby the cold start shock is greatly reduced so I say, let it standby.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page