post #1621 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHF View Post

FWIW, I've noticed no audio sync issues using my 705 via HDMI from a Motorola Comcast box and to a pioneer 5010FD.

Watch more TNT on cable. Someone could say something, leave the room and come back in time to catch up with the audio. No fault of the 705, blame Ted T. Its the only station that has a problem with me, sometimes just unwatchable.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Watch more TNT on cable. Someone could say something, leave the room and come back in time to catch up with the audio. No fault of the 705, blame Ted T. Its the only station that has a problem with me, sometimes just unwatchable.

I dont know what going on with TNT but I am having the same exact problem. I had an old Pioneer receiver and it did the same thing. Now I have the Onkyo 805 and delay in audio is terrible with TNT. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue.
post #1623 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I dont know what going on with TNT but I am having the same exact problem. I had an old Pioneer receiver and it did the same thing. Now I have the Onkyo 805 and delay in audio is terrible with TNT. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue.

Believe me you're not alone. I liken it to a really poorly dubbed foreign film. Absolutely awful. Its so bad it has to be by design. Presently, my favorite hot button.

EDIT: Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.8587.html

post #1624 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Believe me you're not alone. I liken it to a really poorly dubbed foreign film. Absolutely awful. Its so bad it has to be by design. Presently, my favorite hot button.

EDIT: Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.8587.html

Good to know!
post #1625 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Oh yeah, it's really bad on TNT! Pretty much makes this station unwatchable for me. Their HD does not look so hot either but the audio is just trash.
post #1626 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look up in the p1200 thread. This doesn't sound right, pun unintentional. Have you connected with a digital connection? Does this apply to DD as well? Are you talking about plain old DTS on SD or DTS HD?MA on BD?

all dolby works fine. and its any dts on standard or bluray. pretty much better just to watch dd, so i can get processing in the receiver.
post #1627 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM

I'm looking at upgrading my HT with the new Onkyo 705 and a Toshiba gen 3 HDDVD player. I have 7 channels and want to keep it that way. Will the 705 give me both side and rear surround sound with Toshiba's HD-A3 player or should I spend the extra for the HD-A35 player? I have a 720p/ 1080i LCD projector which I plan to keep.

Thanks, Cliff
post #1628 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrotropic View Post

You will have to connect analog connections for all your HDMI devices for them to work in Zone2 (dual connections). Even if you use component + optical, analog L/R connections must be made in addition to the optical. If one exists and is <$2500, I'll trade my 3wk old '705 in tomorrow and buy it.

The other little drawback is that the '705 will not control the volume in Zone2 if you use the preamp output.

This is the dirty little secret about HDMI that I discovered while researching AV's. If there is an HDMI receiver out there that will pump out Z2 audio from a preamp output just from the HDMI input, I sure haven't found it and I looked at every AV with HDMI w/o regard to price.

Arrg, So basically the 705 rendered my PS3 fairly useless as I wanted to use it as a multi zone music media server and BD movie player. It cannot have both analog/hdmi active at the same time. I do have it somewhat cobbled together. I am using the preamp output into an analog input on the 705 for the ps3 and for cable just using the analog out from tv into the analog in on 705.

I was hoping it would just pass through the all audio to the TV so that anything pumped through the TV could be feed into the analog input on the 705. I still don't understand why the audio from the ps3 will not be passed through to the tv when HDMI1 comcasts will. If it did pass ps3 audio through then my scheme would work. What if I just wanted to listen to the ps3 on the TV and not the reciever? Could it be it is feeding the 705 bitstream thus not passing it onto the tv?

Using the preamp the zone 2 volume does control volume in zone 2 but it works 'on top of' the main zone. Both are always active, the zone 2 volume is just a +- offset from the main zone. You can turn zone2 all the way up and turn the main volume down to a minimal level. You can still hear it in the main zone but at least it is not blasting.

The PS3 sucks as a media extender anyway maybe I should look for another. Any suggestions for a inexpensive hard drive or USB non streaming type of MP3/WMA player with Analog out of course.

The zone 2 support was the main reason I got the new receiver past the finance committee.
-Craig
post #1629 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

TNT is a bit whacked -- something they've done in the past few weeks . . . it changes modes from whatever I've selected (wide-zoom, for example) and the next one on my menu. It only does this when the the DVD recorder is on -- if it's powered down, the signal's all right . . . makes it a bad channel to record. . . . .

Long time listener, first time caller
post #1630 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM

Hey woots:

Saw this in an article on highdefdigest this morning:

"Although the current cost of a high-end receiver capable of decoding the tracks via bitstream is likely to keep DTS-HD Master Audio out of the hands of all but the most dedicated home theater enthusiasts, word on the street is that DTS is working with Sony to add internal DTS-MA decoding to the PS3 before Christmas."

Full article here.

Awesome! Now I can wait a bit longer on copping a BDP-1400 or 2400.
post #1631 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 AM

This is from a post of mine in the 805 thread. Several users there thought it would be useful to post this in the other Onkyo threads (note that I don't typically follow anything but the 805 thread and a couple of Oppo threads so if you have any questions, OR ANY ANSWERS, please PM me in addition to posting here so that I'll be aware of that fact - thanks). I've also added some other info from some other posts in the 805 thread that I felt would be relevent to the subject matter.

Firmware and Heat - Part 1
====================

Did some testing today. I have lots of observations and questions:

As stated earlier, I have an older unit (CC, mid-June, Japan, MAIN=8 1.01/07523B).

First of all, I'd like to detail my testing steps since I found some of the previous testing directions to be confusing.

Steps to get to the temperature info:

1) Turn on receiver
2) Press and hold "Display" button and then immediately press "Standby" button
3) Release both buttons (MAIN page of firmware info will be displayed) and then quickly press "Tone" button (if you wait too long, the display will revert back to what it was before the "Display" and "Standby" buttons were pressed). Temperature info will stay on until a function change is initiated.

Steps to get firmware info:

1) Turn on receiver
2) Press and hold "Display" button and then immediately press "Standby" button
3) Release both buttons (MAIN page of firmware info will be displayed) and then quickly press either the ">" or "<" button below the "Tone" button in order to display the second page (">" button) or the last page ("<" button) of firmware info. Continue to press either the ">" or "<" button in order to step forward or backward through the six pages of firmware info (note that once the MAIN page of the firmware info is displayed, if you wait too long between button presses, the display will revert back to what it was before the "Display" and "Standby" buttons were pressed). If you subsequently press the "Display" button while viewing any of the firmware pages (other than the "MAIN" firmware page), further info is displayed pertaining to that firmware page. Continue to press the display button in order to step through several pages of additional info (no additional info for MAIN page, four additional pages for each DSP page, one additional page for HDMI page, and three additional pages for VIDEO page). Once this additional info is accessed, the display will NOT revert back if you wait too long between button presses. Also, the third page of addtional info for the VIDEO firmware page displays the OSD level. This level will not be shown on the display itself but will show up on attached TV (via monitor out jack).

At this point, I'm not sure what most of this additional info is. Hopefully, someone else can shed some light on this info. I did notice that this info changed depending on whether there was any activity on the selected input and whether the device connected to the selected input was turned on or not.

With respect to the temperature display, this is what it looked like right after I turned the receiver on with no input activity (please note that my receiver runs very hot so I have an external fan sitting on top of the rear-right quadrant sucking air out). All testing was done with this external fan running. The top of my receiver never gets more than warm when this fan is running. Without the fan, under heavy usage, it will get hot enough that I cannont keep my hand on top of it (by the way, I have plenty of space around the receiver).

T:24/24 FAN: -
V 0.00 SEC:H

After some very heavy usage, it looked like this:

T:61/64 FAN:M
V: 2.09 SEC:M

Some observations and questions:

1) Why are there two temperature readings?

2) The M for FAN came on when the unit got hotter. Before it came on, I'm fairly sure that the Onkyo fans were not running. After it came on, I'm fairly sure that they were running. Do the fans have several settings (possibly -, L, M, H)? If they do, I'm not sure why I never saw an "L" unless it jumped right past that speed. I'm going to do more testing (tomorrow hopefully) with my external fan turned off in order to get the internal temperature to a higher lever (much higher level) so that I can see if the "M" changes to an "H." Also, the "M" blinked on and off sometimes.

3) Is it possible that the newer firmware levels turn the Onkyo's internal fans on sooner (i.e., at a lower temperature)? This could explain the cooler running newer units.

4) The "V" value changed constantly when there was activity on the selected input. It generally increased in value, the louder the music was played. Is this some measure of voltage associated with the level of the sound being produced?

5) The "SEC" value changed from "H" to "M" as the unit heated up. Does anyone know what this value represents?

Thanks.

Firmware and Heat - Part 2
====================

Well, I did further testing today WITHOUT my external fan. I managed to get the following temperature display:

T:70/73 FAN:H

At this level, the top of the unit was definitely too hot for me to leave my hand on. When I finished testing, and turned it down, the "H" changed to an "L" so I've now seen all of the following at different times as part of the fan display:

"-" "L" "M" "H"

This sure looks like fan speeds of "Off", "Low", "Medium" and "High" to me. I have to admit that I had to play music (the third track of Particle's Launchpad CD) at EXCRUCIATINGLY loud levels for about 45 minutes to achieve these temperatures (I only went in the room for the last minute or two - I LOVE loud, undistorted music but this was even too loud for me - it was still totally clean at these levels though). No one with normal hearing would be able to listen at these levels for very long without some hearing problems developing. [Just F.Y.I. - I have Athena F2's, B1's and a C1 along with an SVS dual 12" sub in a 3500 cubic foot room driven by the 805 which is being fed by an Oppo 970.] My purpose in this testing was just to try to determine a "top end" for the fan readings for my set up and to see if I could get the "M" to change to an "H" for the "FAN" value. I have to say that, in my current setup, the output from this receiver is quite extraordinary. I previously had a Pioneer 1015 preamped out to two Marantz 700 mono amps for the front speakers (Pioneer still driving everything else) and I can truthfully say that the 805 plays louder and clearer than my previous setup ever did.

Future Onkyo 805 Firmware Thread
==========================

I hope to do this soon, when time permits (probably wouldn't be limited to just the 805).

Other Undocumented Functions
=======================

One more function we've become aware of:

Hold down just the display button (on the front panel) for about 2 seconds, and the input and output resolution is shown

Audio Delay
========

The audio delay in the 805 has finally been explained (and it's existence can no longer be debated). See post 56 here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11692940

It has been noted in the 805 thread that the 605 (and maybe others in the line) have only one DSP chip which would result in them having much less delay (most likely to the point of not being detectable).

Also, here is a response from Audyssey regarding a question concerning a method of minimizing the delay which may be of interest:

> There's an audio delay issue with the Onkyo 805 (which I believe
> you are aware of) that can be somewhat mitigated by basing all of
> one's speaker measurements off of the 30-foot speaker distance
> limit for Audyssey.
>
> For example:
>
> True distances to speakers -> sub=17, FR=14, FL=14, C=13, RR=8, RL=8
>
> Distances I would use after running Audyssey (i.e., I would reset Audyssey-
> derived distances to these distances) in order to minimize delay -> sub=30
> (17+13), FR=14+13=27, FL=14+13=27, C=13+13=26, RR=8+13=21, RL=8+13=21
>
> Would changing the total distance while keeping the relative distances between
> the speakers the same screw up Audyssey's settings in some way? Someone
> mentioned that the filters Audyssey uses may use distance as one of their input
> parameters and therefore doing something like this might negate some of the
> benefit of running Audyssey.

As long as the relative distances remain the same you are fine. So
adding the same number to all speakers is OK. The filters are not
affected by the distance/delay settings as these come after the
filters are calculated.
post #1632 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

Any suggestions for a inexpensive hard drive or USB non streaming type of MP3/WMA player with Analog out of course.

I use a Diskstation as streaming server and have several streaming clients in the house. The Dreambox sat receiver in the living room, the Showcenter in the bedroom and my kid is either using a PC as streaming client or his old Xbox (non-360). (I got the Squeezebox really cheap when I bought the Diskstation - It's convenient for listening to my MP3 collection or for streaming internet radio)

My relevant streaming equipment: Onkyo TX-SR705, DM600PVR, Squeezebox, ShowCenter 200, Disk Station DS207.
post #1633 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I notice in the manual that European models come with a cover for the unsightly AUX input panel. These receivers are ugly enough without visible jacks. So, I was wondering if there is a way to get one of these covers for my 705. (Every little bit helps.)

Does anybody have any ideas?

Also, wth didn't they include this cover with NA models?
post #1634 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

XXXXXX, thank you for sharing the info. Excellent piece of work. Very informative.

post #1635 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx View Post

> There's an audio delay issue with the Onkyo 805 (which I believe
> you are aware of) that can be somewhat mitigated by basing all of
> one's speaker measurements off of the 30-foot speaker distance
> limit for Audyssey.

Has anybody tried this with the 705? It does makes sense. The receiver would have to provide less audio delay, if the speakers were further away. (Or, it would have to provide more video delay.)
post #1636 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Below I did some math to see how much reduction in delay we get (in milliseconds) per each 10 feet of distance we add to our onkyo speaker distance settings.

Code:
The Math:

1st we need to get our feet (distance) since Onkyo speaker distance 
is measured in feet. We also need to get our (speed) in order to figure out (time)

The speed of sound is 769 mph and there are 5,280 feet per mile 

Therefore, our (speed) of sound is 4,060,320 feet per hour
(I converted to feet since thats the distance measurement I want to work in.)

Now for the formula using 10 feet as my speaker (distance):
Equation: time = distance ÷ speed
[10 feet (speaker distance)] ÷ [4,060,320 (ft. per hour)] = 0.000002463 (of 1 hour)
(approx., I had to round up a tiny bit my calculator stopped working number was to big)

Now to convert this to milliseconds since thats what our onkyo does on the A/V delay window....
1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds = 3,600,000 milliseconds

0.000002463 X  3,600,000 = 8.86 milliseconds
So for every 10 feet you add to the onkyo speaker distance you get about about 8.86 milliseconds of reduced delay

A loose rule of thumb then can be for every 1 foot of distance you get 1 millisecond of delay.

For 10 feet distance thats -10 ms below zero ms of delay if you already set your receiver to 0ms. (20feet = -20ms below 0) .. it may just be enough to give that lil extra added delay shift you need.

*Experiment Update*

Only do this if your KNOW the delay has to be set lower then 0ms .. otherwise just play very carefully with your settings to get things right and no need to do this trick. Most people say they are happy within 30-80ms delay range. However, I do have one source that needs to be lower then 0ms.. and for that source this works like a charm... so 1st be sure you set your receiver to 0ms delay 1st for that source.

You can get it to be lower then 0ms by adding distance to your speaker distance settings. I experimented with this for a long period of time and even though it does bring most things back into sync overall I do no like the audio quality I get when I added 20 feet to all my speakers (things got quieter and less punchy).. so be sure to experiment to your liking when doing this. Also, this will effect ALL of your other source delay settings so if you have a source that worked perfectly at 65ms for example... go back after this distance tweak as you will likely have to tweak it again (just write down all your old settings before doing any of this so its easy to revert back)

Good luck!

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #1637 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Hmm, interesting about TNT audio delays; i have heard many members complaining about this, but I must admit that I have not experienced this on my setup going through 705. Wonder if this issue affects different cable systems or some systems know it's an issue and somehow compensates for it while others don't; just a wild guess .

I watch TNT HD all the time, no issues at all, maybe I am just lucky .
post #1638 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad578 View Post

Hmm, interesting about TNT audio delays; i have heard many members complaining about this, but I must admit that I have not experienced this on my setup going through 705. Wonder if this issue affects different cable systems or some systems know it's an issue and somehow compensates for it while others don't; just a wild guess .

I watch TNT HD all the time, no issues at all, maybe I am just lucky .

mr gribbles lives very close to me.. and I can agree TNT HD down here is horrible. It is by far the worst network for HD lag we have... or at least one of the worst.

It would be interesting to do a poll elsewhere on the forums and get people to vote TNT HD lags yes vs no... and ask them to post there location too.

Here is whats ironic about that. Turner Broadcasting is based out of atlanta.. lol.... if there is anywhere in the country that should get no lag it should be us! I know, I know it doesn't work like that.. I am just saying its ironic... especially being that you live on the other side of the country and get no lag from a television station produced where we live. I think comcast needs to fix their equipment out here... they probably got an onkyo plugged in to and they just never fixed the audio delay. (noobs!)

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #1639 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

mr gribbles lives very close to me.. and I can agree TNT HD down here is horrible. It is by far the worst network for HD lag we have... or at least one of the worst.

It would be interesting to do a poll elsewhere on the forums and get people to vote TNT HD lags yes vs no... and ask them to post there location too.

Here is whats ironic about that. Turner Broadcasting is based out of atlanta.. lol.... if there is anywhere in the country that should get no lag it should be us! I know, I know it doesn't work like that.. I am just saying its ironic... especially being that you live on the other side of the country and get no lag from a television station produced where we live. I think comcast needs to fix their equipment out here... they probably got an onkyo plugged in to and they just never fixed the audio delay. (noobs!)

Yeah, it's quite an irony for you guys in Atlanta and TNT; maybe you guys should all walk down to their station and tell them to put their sh** together . For what it's worth, I also have Comcast here (Seattle suburb), but just because we both have Comcast doesn't say much.

Good luck!
post #1640 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the 705 matrix in the rear centre channel in a 6.1 speaker system like it can for a 7.1?

What limitations are there for DolbyTrueHD if you only have a 6.1 system? Are you still able to get DolbyTrueHD at least in 5.1?
post #1641 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFigueiredo View Post

Will the 705 matrix in the rear centre channel in a 6.1 speaker system like it can for a 7.1?

What limitations are there for DolbyTrueHD if you only have a 6.1 system? Are you still able to get DolbyTrueHD at least in 5.1?

All the "x" or "ex" flavored DSP's calculate for the "extra" rear channels whether it be 6.1 or 7.1 (ex: Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic IIx, etc)

Most True HD is encoded at 5.1, so ya thats the minimum. Infact speaking from my own experience, its rare to find a Blu Ray movie with native 6.1 and 7.1 in True HD or DTS HD MA. I only own one movie with 6.1 and its DTS HD MA format (Xmen 3)... I heard some Avengers Blu ray cartoon is a 7.1 encoded movie (which could be the only one?? on blue ray side)

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #1642 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypen View Post

I notice in the manual that European models come with a cover for the unsightly AUX input panel. These receivers are ugly enough without visible jacks. So, I was wondering if there is a way to get one of these covers for my 705. (Every little bit helps.)

Gary, it's probably for the same reason that Euro models have caps installed in the speaker connectors so that banana plugs can't be inserted. Some sort of European product safety commission BS....

I'd check with parts houses or maybe Onkyo in Europe directly. Seems to me that a removable cover could get lost and need to be replaced sometimes!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #1643 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ya that was an interesting post "xxxxxx" made. I will try this later tonight. Since the distance is greater the audio has to play sooner to get to the same location in time.

Below I did some math to see how much reduction in delay we get (in milliseconds) per each 10 feet of distance we add to our onkyo speaker distance settings.

Code:
The Math:

1st we need to get our feet (distance) since Onkyo speaker distance 
is measured in feet. We also need to get our (speed) in order to figure out (time)

The speed of sound is 769 mph and there are 5,280 feet per mile 

Therefore, our (speed) of sound is 4,060,320 feet per hour
(I converted to feet since thats the distance measurement I want to work in.)

Now for the formula using 10 feet as my speaker (distance):
Equation: time = distance ÷ speed
[10 feet (speaker distance)] ÷ [4,060,320 (ft. per hour)] = 0.000002463 (of 1 hour)
(approx., I had to round up a tiny bit my calculator stopped working number was to big)

Now to convert this to milliseconds since thats what our onkyo does on the A/V delay window....
1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds = 3,600,000 milliseconds

0.000002463 X  3,600,000 = 8.86 milliseconds
So for every 10 feet you add to the onkyo speaker distance you get about about 8.86 milliseconds of reduced delay

(Its ironic thats its very nearly 1 millisecond per 1 foot.)
So thats approximately 1 more tick on the extreme end of the slider bar on our Onkyo, per every extra 10 feet you add of speaker distance (every tick on AV delay setting menu is 10 ms, so this is close to 1 tick).. it may just be enough to give that lil extra added delay shift we need.

I will have to see how it plays out. One device I need it set to 0 to work properly another device I need it set to 250 to work properly. So only one of these will benefit by reducing delay. The other is going to suffer even further. However, knowing that changing the speaker distance can have an effect on my delay times... it just gives me one more setting to play around with and tweak.

I think there is something else at play here other then just reducing delay. I added about 15 feet to all my speakers (bumping them all close to 30ft) and without having to go into delay settings and tweak (like i thought I was going to have to) the delay seemed to fix itself... even on pain in the butt channels like TNT HD... very weird.. just letting you all know adding distance helps the delay issues.

Perhaps those with large speaker distance settings to begin with never noticed this problem cause the distance was negating the issue for them. I have this setup installed in a bedroom.. so the distances I had set were not very far.. so by bumping up the distance it helped me a lot.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #1644 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

Arrg, So basically the 705 rendered my PS3 fairly useless as I wanted to use it as a multi zone music media server and BD movie player. It cannot have both analog/hdmi active at the same time. I do have it somewhat cobbled together. I am using the preamp output into an analog input on the 705 for the ps3 and for cable just using the analog out from tv into the analog in on 705.

I was hoping it would just pass through the all audio to the TV so that anything pumped through the TV could be feed into the analog input on the 705. I still don't understand why the audio from the ps3 will not be passed through to the tv when HDMI1 comcasts will. If it did pass ps3 audio through then my scheme would work. What if I just wanted to listen to the ps3 on the TV and not the reciever? Could it be it is feeding the 705 bitstream thus not passing it onto the tv?

Using the preamp the zone 2 volume does control volume in zone 2 but it works 'on top of' the main zone. Both are always active, the zone 2 volume is just a +- offset from the main zone. You can turn zone2 all the way up and turn the main volume down to a minimal level. You can still hear it in the main zone but at least it is not blasting.

The PS3 sucks as a media extender anyway maybe I should look for another. Any suggestions for a inexpensive hard drive or USB non streaming type of MP3/WMA player with Analog out of course.

The zone 2 support was the main reason I got the new receiver past the finance committee.
-Craig

Well, it does not sound (no pun intended) that not controlling the volume in Zone2 is big issue with you so it really centers on the PS3 being a POS for your needs. Does the PS3 not have a composite video out? I know it looks like crap, but it would allow you to see and hear it in the Main and Zone2. I too got the fancy '705 receiver to listen to different sources in Zone2. I bought a $40 XM MiniTuner and $60 iPOD dock and can pump those types of sources around. It is nice that I can watch football on the CAB/SAT input, select the Tuner or Tape (iPOD) inputs and listen to music instead of Howie and those other talking heads. I have called watching TV this way "College TV" for a long time and truly love it.

You brought up the Zone2 volume control on the preamp outputs...can you adjust the Zone2 preamp output up with the Zone2 Volume up/dn buttons and affect the volume? I think you mean that the Zone2 preamp volume is a +- off the main volume - is that correct? I was wondering why I had my amp way up one day and my Zone2 did not seem as loud as is once was. If you can explain it better, please, 'cause sometimes I am a little slow.
post #1645 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

(Its ironic thats its very nearly 1 millisecond per 1 foot.)

Not really. That is the standard measurement soundmen use when setting the delay time for the speakers that are set further back in the house at arenas and stadiums. (also called "delay towers"). 1ms for each foot from the main speakers.
post #1646 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Gary, it's probably for the same reason that Euro models have caps installed in the speaker connectors so that banana plugs can't be inserted. Some sort of European product safety commission BS....

I'd check with parts houses or maybe Onkyo in Europe directly. Seems to me that a removable cover could get lost and need to be replaced sometimes!

Good idea. Thanks.

My Denon 2805 had one. It made the facia look much smoother. I do miss the physical beauty and incredible sound of the Denon. But, alas, I didn't want to spend hundreds more for a new Denon with the same features as the 705. The 705 sounds pretty darn good too. It's just so ugly.

That tiny little display with the huge metal panel under it. It looks like one of those ugly new Dodge cars. All that's missing are 20" chrome wheels.
post #1647 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the delay seemed to fix itself... .. just letting you all know adding distance helps the delay issues.
.. so by bumping up the distance it helped me a lot.

Sweet!!! I'm hitting "setup" as soon as I get home.
post #1648 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrotropic View Post

Well, it does not sound (no pun intended) that not controlling the volume in Zone2 is big issue with you so it really centers on the PS3 being a POS for your needs. Does the PS3 not have a composite video out? I know it looks like crap, but it would allow you to see and hear it in the Main and Zone2. I too got the fancy '705 receiver to listen to different sources in Zone2. I bought a $40 XM MiniTuner and $60 iPOD dock and can pump those types of sources around. It is nice that I can watch football on the CAB/SAT input, select the Tuner or Tape (iPOD) inputs and listen to music instead of Howie and those other talking heads. I have called watching TV this way "College TV" for a long time and truly love it.

You brought up the Zone2 volume control on the preamp outputs...can you adjust the Zone2 preamp output up with the Zone2 Volume up/dn buttons and affect the volume? I think you mean that the Zone2 preamp volume is a +- off the main volume - is that correct? I was wondering why I had my amp way up one day and my Zone2 did not seem as loud as is once was. If you can explain it better, please, 'cause sometimes I am a little slow.

Well the PS3 was purchased for instant access to all my CD's and BluRay playing in all 1080p glory so composite isnt' going to cut it and analog is not active when the HDMI is on. I don't often listen to two different sources, a simple A+B setup like my previous $200 Pioneer had would be perfect.

The preamp output is probably not controlled by zone 2 volume control but when you input into an analog port you can turn that port up in relation to the main volume. So I can turn up zone2 high enough to blast it on the patio and have it at a low enough volume in the family room not to blast it there.
I had my XM set through 1 analog port that works fine my three other digital sources I was hoping to route through the TV and output analog from that to one analog input on the 705.
post #1649 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garypen View Post

Not really. That is the standard measurement soundmen use when setting the delay time for the speakers that are set further back in the house at arenas and stadiums. (also called "delay towers"). 1ms for each foot from the main speakers.

interesting

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #1650 of 3326 Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Garypen,

I'd like to know also.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page