The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1771 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslavbg View Post

Apply EMLWEB6

Thanks. I just ordered from 6ave at the $575 price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by johni View Post

Thanks. I just ordered from 6ave at the $575 price.

do they add tax to 575?? or this site does not charge tax??
post #1773 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

do they add tax to 575?? or this site does not charge tax??

nope, 575 with some change out the door

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ

post #1774 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 PM

In addition to my prior questions...

1) Lipsync issue - no big deal?
2) rear speakers to complete 7.1 - does having listening point flush to wall directly beneath these sats nullify their benefit?
3) Anyone have experience with the Extech 407730 spl meter? (RadioShack brand is out of stock).

...I have another question.

The 705 manual states:
Quote:

If you do not use this unit for a long time, it may
not work properly the next time you turn it on, so
be sure to use it occasionally.

This seems really vague. Why shouldn't it work after a period of non-use? What about those sitting in warehouses now that won't be purchased until Christmas?
post #1775 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleid20 View Post

Apologies, if this has been posted to death, but can someone tell me the a few reasons why I'd want a 705 over a 605? I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD A30 player. I'm not interested in 7.1 as my theater is currently set up as 5.1 and I dont have plans to expand.

check out the 605 vs 705 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11708200

..in a nutshell
605:
fanless
1 Digital Signal Processor = less potential for lip-synch problems
less DSP's so most likely less heat problems

705:
Phono In
3 DSP's, more sound modes
10 more watts
TXH logo (means you get more preset eq modes)
Pre-outs for all 7 channels in case 100 watts doesn't do it for you
1+ optical, coaxial, and hdmi input
Better HDMI upscaling

...did I miss anything?
post #1776 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

My finger grew weary and slipped on the trigger; this receiver is now on it's way. I guess I got too trigger happy when the Amazon-direct price slipped to six-oh-five.

I'm really worried about lip sync problems mentioned in this thread. To me that would be a deal-killer (we are gamers), but too late -- the receiver is already on it's way.

I spent the past few days re-reading this entire thread, and I don't recall anyone confirming they definitely DO NOT have a lipsync problem at all, and no one seems to have been able to resolve the problem 100%. Isn't this a big deal?

Does anyone have experience with the Extech 407730 SPL meter?

I am not in the position to confirm or deny lipsynch problems, as i have an older TV and no hidef sources or games consoles, however from my readings in these threads I saw that you can generally reduce and almost eliminate lip synch issues (if you do have them) by setting the audio delay in the source input menu to the smallest amount of delay (there was some confusion IIRC where originally people were specifying a value thinking that meant the least delay but it was actually giving them the most delay... i now cant recall whether 0ms gives you the most or least delay). Then, recently some information came to light regarding speaker distances... as long as you keep the relative distance between the speakers the same, you can increase them all to maximum, to reduce the delay (speakers further away need less delay for the signal to reach you). So for example if your furthest speaker is 5meters, you can increase it up to the maximum distance selectable, and then add the same amount onto each of the other speakers. People like woots who originally were complaining of lip synch/delay issues then seemed much happier that their problems were resolved. Infact i think woots said that it seems the speaker distances actually provide a greater amount of delay then what you would expect given scientific calculations using the speed of sound etc. There was also an issue with a particular cable channel (TNT?) over there in the states, which seems to be a problem with the provider and not so much anyone's equipment or setup.

I suppose you just have to wait until you get the onkyo hooked up, utilise the couple of methods (source audio synch setting, speaker ddistances) at your disposal and assess whether you have issues with lipsynch or not
post #1777 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyfromco View Post

check out the 605 vs 705 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11708200

..in a nutshell
605:
fanless
1 Digital Signal Processor = less potential for lip-synch problems
less DSP's so most likely less heat problems

705:
Phono In
3 DSP's, more sound modes
10 more watts
TXH logo (means you get more preset eq modes)
Pre-outs for all 7 channels in case 100 watts doesn't do it for you
1+ optical, coaxial, and hdmi input
Better HDMI upscaling

...did I miss anything?

well i dont know that the 605 has less potential for heat issues due to less DSPs. I suppose we would have to look at reported temps from 605 and 705 threads, but given the 705 has fans etc, i dont feel heat is a particularly concerning issue with this receiver. yes it runs hotter than previous generation AVRs but i dont think it's a problem.

it also has an SPDIF optical output if that matters to anyone. Better fully baklit and programmable/learning remote. The THX certification is more than just additional listening modes, it has to pass various testing/design etc requirements, and does mean something to some people. The 3 DSPs mean it can matrix 6.1 and 7.1 ointop of PCM whereas the 605 cant do this.

ANd it doesnt actually have better HDMI upscaling... im pretty sure the upscaling in 605/705/805 is all the same eg 480P with a secret menu option to use 720P but since its undocumented/unadvertised it can cause issues with widescreen sources etc. It also has the better audyssey multiEQ implementation supporting more listening modes and better equaliser etc. Also there are more selectable crossover frequencies for sppeaker setup
post #1778 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 04:17 PM

on Saturday I plan to finalize the installation of my rear channel to complete my 7.1 upgrade (going from 5.1 w/dual subs to 7.1 w/dual subs).

What BluRay is best suited to impress me with Lossless and/or 7.1 coming from my new 705?
post #1779 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 PM

thanks for clarifying HDMI, scarecrow420,

from liquid theater.com "THX"

* Speaker to subwoofer crossover frequency set to 80hz
* Reequalization of higher frequencies to lower their output for a smoother sound
* Equal high power for all five main amplified channels
* Subwoofers able to properly handle low frequency effects
* Diffused dipolar surround channels
* Low equipment noise

With so many similar internal components between the 605/705/805 my present understanding is that THX is 'more' a marketing tool than a standard which can clearly set one component apart from another. It seems to me that many systems that don't carry the thx logo would qualify for the majority of these descriptions.

Here's another description, http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Real_So...ivers/E7H8J4L7
post #1780 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet View Post

nope, 575 with some change out the door

Am guessing they will charge tax if you are in the states they have a physical presence in i.e. NY and NJ.
post #1781 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

The 3 DSPs mean it can matrix 6.1 and 7.1 ointop of PCM whereas the 605 cant do this.

Important? From what I understand, the 605 will pass lossless 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 if available on disc; it just can't matrix 5.1 into 6.1 or 7.1 right?

Also, does the 605 actually decode and display Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master? Or, will it convert to PCM and show as multichannel?

Basically wondering if 705 is really worth it over the 605.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1782 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In continuation of my planned audio set-up, I'm planning on purchasing the KEF 3005 (5.1) set. However our listening point (our bed) is flush with a wall; would I benefit at all from buying the 2 add'l sats to achieve 7.1 with this receiver? I read the rear speakers should be a few feet behind the listener.

you pretty much need a few feet in rear for sound to expand. if not it would sound too localized. if i were you i would stick to 5.1.
post #1783 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

2) rear speakers to complete 7.1 - does having listening point flush to wall directly beneath these sats nullify their benefit?
3) Anyone have experience with the Extech 407730 spl meter? (RadioShack brand is out of stock).

The 705 manual states:

This seems really vague. Why shouldn't it work after a period of non-use? What about those sitting in warehouses now that won't be purchased until Christmas?

all spl meters pretty much same, either analog or didgital. set slow, c weight, and use receivers test tones and dial it in to 75db.
post #1784 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:

The 705 manual states:

I just setup my TX-SR705 from CC (hooked up a Comcast Moto HD DVR and an Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player via HDMI to the receiver, Replay TV Component with Optical Audio to the Receiver) and I have experienced the lyp-sync issue from the start. TV is a TH-50PX60U Panny 50" Plasma via HDMI to the receiver).

Lyp-Sync is not watchable on most, noticable on all else. I am bummed I spent so much time rewiring my entire HT system (from Yamaha 992 and Luxman MX-113 Amp) to something that we can't watch (really listen to but it is the visual that gets distracting)!

Also, there is up to a two second delay in audio starting when switching channels or inputs or quick skip, etc... We miss 2 seconds of audio almost everytime.

I guess I'll try calling tech support but honestly think this should go back. Why would anyone put up with any lyp-sync issues on a new receiver...

OK, now that I've got that off my chest, maybe there is something that can be done about, I'm just not crazy about risking hard earned dollars in hoping it gets fixed.

That said, picture looks great.
Sound quality is much sharper than my Yamaha, but I'm sure I can EQ that out (nice feature of the SR705) if I keep it.

I haven't Bi-Amped fronts yet, but might try it (don't need 7.1, I am happy with 5.1)...
post #1785 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 PM

I remember reading that this reciever went on sale at CC for 550. Did this just happen once or more then once. When was the last time it was this low? Anybody know??
post #1786 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by djap2 View Post

I just setup my TX-SR705 from CC (hooked up a Comcast Moto HD DVR and an Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player via HDMI to the receiver, Replay TV Component with Optical Audio to the Receiver) and I have experienced the lyp-sync issue from the start. TV is a TH-50PX60U Panny 50" Plasma via HDMI to the receiver).

Lyp-Sync is not watchable on most, noticable on all else. I am bummed I spent so much time rewiring my entire HT system (from Yamaha 992 and Luxman MX-113 Amp) to something that we can't watch (really listen to but it is the visual that gets distracting)!

Also, there is up to a two second delay in audio starting when switching channels or inputs or quick skip, etc... We miss 2 seconds of audio almost everytime.

I guess I'll try calling tech support but honestly think this should go back. Why would anyone put up with any lyp-sync issues on a new receiver...

OK, now that I've got that off my chest, maybe there is something that can be done about, I'm just not crazy about risking hard earned dollars in hoping it gets fixed.

Sound quality is much sharper than my Yamaha, but I'm sure I can EQ that out (nice feature of the SR705) if I keep it.

I haven't Bi-Amped fronts yet, but might try it (don't need 7.1, I am happy with 5.1)...

The lyp sync bothers me too. I have the lyp sync setting to zero. Can't tell if the lyp sync issue is from the 705, my D* HR20 receiver or both, or how to resolve, or if just stuck with the problem?
post #1787 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

I remember reading that this reciever went on sale at CC for 550. Did this just happen once or more then once. When was the last time it was this low? Anybody know??

From what I remember it happened twice, for 4 hours or so each time (I know the second time was like 4 or 5 hours; on a Sunday morning). I always assumed it was an error on someone's part; either that or some kind of test marketing (it wasn't advertised anywhere AFAIK).

I think the last time was over a month ago.

Hal
post #1788 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM

has anybody ever ordered from accessories 4 less. they have the 705 for 550. It says onkyo factory recondtioned. Not really sure what that means. They are located in orlando and so am i, so I wouldnt have to pay shipping. You think this is a good deal
post #1789 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercao View Post

Does anyone have a workaround for the problem of the 705 causing the 3416 to reset to 720p output instead of 1080i? The only thing I've be able to figure out is to turn the set top box off first, then the 705, then the flat panel, and to turn them on in the opposite order. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There is no way I can train the wife to do that.

There is clearly a signal being sent to the Motorola from the 705 that is causing this, no matter what Onkyo says. I'd rather not use the HDMI out directly to the flat panel and audio some other way as I'd lose the Pure Audio feature. (I think.)

watercao,

I know this isn't going to solve your problem but just fyi. I've been using an Onkyo TX-SR705 with a Motorola DCH-3416 (Comcast) via HDMI ($5 Monoprice cable) for about a month without a single issue, box never resets and always outputs HD @ 1080i and I have SD set to output 480i. The box has never reset or changed resolutions.

Maybe you got a bad box? Just throwing something out there to try and help.

Good luck...
post #1790 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djap2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKYMTN View Post

The lyp sync bothers me too. I have the lyp sync setting to zero. Can't tell if the lyp sync issue is from the 705, my D* HR20 receiver or both, or how to resolve, or if just stuck with the problem?

Guys, I remembered some posts on lip synch and delay stuff from a while back and ive gone back and tracked them down for you. I found them by using the "Search This Thread" drop down at the top right of the screen, and searching for the word "delay". I knew that woots and mrgribbles had both made good posts on the subject

Basically at one point woots made a post saying that 0ms in the delay settings, actually gives the WORST delay. On a hunch he set the delay to the maximum value, and all but resolved his issues.

Then later on there is some discussion about speaker distance settings, where it was shown that setting them to be further away than they relaly are will reduce the delay as well.

It seemed that after following these 2 pieces of advice, some other people who had previously been complaining of lip synch issues confirmed that they were now pretty much rectified, and almost un-noticable.

Here are some links to those earlier posts hopefully you can read there, and the following discussions. Good luck!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post11626312
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post11730829
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11745744
post #1791 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Important? From what I understand, the 605 will pass lossless 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 if available on disc; it just can't matrix 5.1 into 6.1 or 7.1 right?

Also, does the 605 actually decode and display Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master? Or, will it convert to PCM and show as multichannel?

Basically wondering if 705 is really worth it over the 605.

It is so worth it unless you don't want 7.1 surround and only have 2 HDMI players to send it. The 605 does fully decode and display TrueHD and DTS MA just like the whole new Onkyo lineup. It just can't take PCM from an HDDVD player (other than A35) or a BD player (other than Sammy1400) and make 7 channels. If you have A35 and 1400 then it is fine because it should be able to matrix those bitstreams to 7.1. But any other players as of now are screwed to go 7.1.

edit I just quickly downloaded the 605 and 705 manuals and actually the 605 can't even apply DPLIIx to TrueHD or DTS HD-MA bitstreams either. The 705 can. Here are the links to the manuals chk around pages 60-70 and there are charts to show the proccessing modes. http://63.148.251.135/redirect_servi...05_En_0604.pdf http://63.148.251.135/redirect_servi...05_En_web_.pdf

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #1792 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

has anybody ever ordered from accessories 4 less. they have the 705 for 550. It says onkyo factory recondtioned. Not really sure what that means. They are located in orlando and so am i, so I wouldnt have to pay shipping. You think this is a good deal

If you are in FL, then you likely have sales tax, so $550 is $550 + tax.

Order from 6th Ave for $575, no tax, shipping included (go back in thread and get 6% off promo code). Then you have new unit, authorized dealer, and a warranty.
post #1793 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Given that a CC purchase will have sales tax, CC $550 + tax in most states will be more than the current 6ave sale price.
post #1794 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Guys, I remembered some posts on lip synch and delay stuff from a while back

Thanks scarecrow420, I really appreciate your help but I had just finished reading the entire thread (about 60 pages) before submitting that post, and the reason I posted about that issue is due to the words you yourself included in your recap -- "pretty much", "almost", etc.

I am aware of the improved-but-not-quite-right fixes...but that's why I asked the question. Is "almost" good enough for a mid-range receiver?

Falsifying the speaker distances helps lipsync, but I'm then concerned how that impacts the surround.

P.S. Issues like this one is why the only online dealer I use for major purchases is Amazon.
post #1795 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

all spl meters pretty much same, either analog or didgital. set slow, c weight, and use receivers test tones and dial it in to 75db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

you pretty much need a few feet in rear for sound to expand. if not it would sound too localized. if i were you i would stick to 5.1.

Thanks a million, warlord260.
post #1796 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks scarecrow420, I really appreciate your help but I had just finished reading the entire thread (about 60 pages) before submitting that post, and the reason I posted about that issue is due to the words you yourself included in your recap -- "pretty much", "almost", etc.

I am aware of the improved-but-not-quite-right fixes...but that's why I asked the question. Is "almost" good enough for a mid-range receiver?

Falsifying the speaker distances helps lipsync, but I'm then concerned how that impacts the surround.

P.S. Issues like this one is why the only online dealer I use for major purchases is Amazon.

I have not yet suffered any lip synch issues so cant comment from first hand experience. I still think if i was in your shoes i would try all of the methods at your disposal first, and only then if i was still unhappy would i return it.

It was certainly worth pointing out those posts to others, because i had seem some people say they were setting delay to 0ms, when woots has infact said that this is actually the WORST setting... it seems somewhat counter intuitive that a higher value gives less delay, but i would certainly hate to think that the people complaining of this issue are actually exascerbating it with the way they have the settings.

Also you shouldnt be worried about what false distances do to your surround - someone from audyssey confirmed that as long as the relative distances between each sepaker were kept the same, it wouldnt have any affect other than changing the audio delay.

It may bug some people that there is still a slight issue, but for the originally most vocal people about this issue (like woots) to now be happy with the lip synch situation, one would assume that alot of other users are probably going to fall into the same category and wont notice it, once they have utilised the methods at their disposal to mitigate it
post #1797 of 3326 Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Also you shouldnt be worried about what false distances do to your surround - someone from audyssey confirmed that as long as the relative distances between each sepaker were kept the same, it wouldnt have any affect other than changing the audio delay.

I agree - I also noticed people were still turning down the delay to 0 in spite of the findings by woots.

Thanks for the add'l info from audyssey on relative distances -- I missed that. Your information and advice has been very helpful .
post #1798 of 3326 Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

I've had the 705 for about a day and haven't had any lip-sync issues
post #1799 of 3326 Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No lip-sync issues for me either.
post #1800 of 3326 Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

FOR EVERYONE WITH LIP SYNC ISSUES, HERE ARE SOME SOLUTIONS:

Guide on Correcting Onkyo Audio Sync Delay

(First I want to say that I didn't start off trying to make this as long as a "book".. its just ended up this way! )

Lip sync is a problem with all these new Onkyo receivers in this series, including the higher priced models. You will find owners within every single model level that both will and will not agree that there is indeed audio lag that gets introduced through this receiver. I think the reason for this variance of opinions isn't due to the fact that some people are more tolerant then others. I believe this is due to the fact that "some" source components create lag on their own to begin with and perhaps they were not overly visible before. (key word being "some" components, not all). However, after the receiver is installed the situation worsened to the point of VERY noticeable. I say this because on my cable box (even before this receiver) some HD channels via HDMI never created lag and some other ones were ALWAYS laggy. After the receiver they ALL became laggy and the bad ones became unbelievably BAD! So, I just want to clarify the problem DOES exist, but the extent of the problem is unique to each persons source equipment setup. (ex. Cable boxes, satellite boxes, tivos, consoles, dvd players, etc)

The good news is there are ways to fix this problem so that it is within a range that is tolerable and near perfect; Rather then something that is just angering to watch and listen to.

Every mode you select on this receiver (ex. DVD, DVR, CBL, GAME, etc) each of these modes allow you to individually tweak the audio lag unique for each mode. So when you follow these steps below be sure to tweak the A/V settings for ALL of your difference modes. (Ex. PS3, Cable, Xbox 360, etc) They all produce unique lag and this receiver will remember different A/V Sync delay settings for each of these Video Modes. Even if you are using analog and not HDMI you may experience audio lag and these steps below will come close to curing them.

===================================

Solution 1 (A/V Sync)

on the remote click "menu" and then select:
> 4. Source Setup > A/V Sync > (tweak this setting)

Take your time when adjusting this option the more energy you put into making this setting perfect the less aggravation you have later. You will very likely be finding yourself doing little 10-20ms second tweaks and going back and watching the tv and then going back through the menus and tweaking again and again and again! Just hang in there! A good tip is do 50-100ms jumps up an down the A/V Sync range until you think you are close.. then do the finite tweaking. Typically most things seem to sync up nice in the range of 0-70ms (I find with my equipment). However, one of my sources (a video game) required me to set the delay to the extreme high end. Just be sure to play around with the entire delay range before giving up if it doesn't work near 0ms you may need to jump it way higher.

Cable/Sat HDTV Sync TIPS:
I suggest when you set up your Cable or Satellite box that you pick a good non voice laggy "HD" channel (something that never lagged before you bought this new receiver) If you bought this receiver the same time as your tv, then plug the cable box directly to the tv and find a channel that seems like voices have no lip sync lag (or very little). This will become your "guinea pig" A/V sync testing base line channel to tweak your receiver to. I mention this because some channels where I live lag badly even when the I have box plugged directly into my tv's hdmi slot. If I attempted to voice sync just for that "bad" channel.. all my other channels would be horribly out of sync. This is why you need to tweak the receiver to a good non laggy channel. The good news is, that if you can A/V sync your receiver to this base-line channel, the lip sync matches up nicely on all the other channels. Even the really troublesome channels seem to be slightly improved (perhaps even better then they were originally, in worst case scenario exactly how they were originally without the receiver making it worse). You just have to differentiate; is the lag coming from the "channel", or my receiver? Some channels will just always be out of wack.. I rather have the majority function correctly though instead of them all suffering for the one screwed up channel.

Game Console Sync TIPS:
Video games are the easiest to tweak the A/V sync. Just find a game that produces a sound when you press a button on the controller.. you can adjust the A/V sync based on the delay between when you press the button, to the time when you hear the sound. In some ways this is a lot like setting the midi speed of midi musical instruments like keyboards and drum machines (for those of you who are musicians too) with really bad setting you press the button and a 1/4 second later you hear the sound. So this is a very tactile and easy sound sync trick for consoles.

PS3 as a Blu Ray movie player and a gaming console Sync TIPS:
You may notice that ps3 has a dual personality when plugged in via hdmi with this receiver. You may notice blu ray movies play with no lip sync lag, but the video games on the ps3 do! (or vice versa) Here lies the dilemma. Since you can only tweak the A/V sync for the whole ps3, you have to chose which is more important for perfect sync. The video games or the movies?! The ultimate solution is just buy an external blu ray or hd dvd player and sync the ps3 for what it was made to do best (play video games). I myself use it to game and to watch movies. Thankfully I own a Xbox 360 and all the good games come out for that console and i find myself rarely playing PS3 anyway. (I am sure I would get flamed for saying that on the Sony boards) Anyhow, I sync my receiver to watch movies perfectly on the PS3; But, yes the games can sometimes get WAY out of wack with the current settings I have chosen. Its up for you to decide.

Solution 2 (Speaker Distance Trick) Use only for extreme lag situations
If you find you are at maximum A/V adjustment range (either at 0 or at 250) and you still are not in sync.. do this option below.

> 2. Speaker Setup > Speaker Distance > (adjust these distances)

For every 1 foot you add to these speakers you get approximately 1ms of reduced lip sync delay... ex. 10 ft = 10 ms. If you find that on some of your receivers mode settings you are at the extreme top or bottom end of A/V sync and you still cant get it perfect try this technique above. Please note that if you add 10 feet to 1 speaker add exactly 10 feet to all the speakers. What this is doing is tricking the receiver into thinking your speakers are further away then they actually are in reality and they compensate by playing sooner thereby reducing the delay even further then is allowed in A/V Sync. Please be mindful that the maximum speaker distance range this receiver allows you to set up for is 30 feet. If you decide you want to add 10 feet to all your speakers be sure you can add +10 for all of your speaker's settings without going over 30ft. on any of them. Just increase or decrease this distance accordingly for your setup.

Please note, that when you do this speaker distance increase, it is holistic for the entire receiver and not an individual mode option. If you do this you 'may' have to go back and re-compensate the A/V sync on some of your other modes that you already tweaked to perfection.

Lastly, I have tried this myself with a lot of experimenting over the last week. Even though increasing the speaker distance to near 30 feet distance provides the best overall A/V sync solution, it DOES come at a cost. The tonal quality of my playback seemed like it took a slight degradation when I increased the distance that far. You will have to be the judge of that for yourself. To me it wasn't a horrible quality decrease but it seemed noticeable enough for me to go back and reduce the distance I set to put some vibrancy back into my system. This Option in my opinion is a trade off, lip sync correction for listening quality. Its a tough choice so this is why I said use only for extreme situations. This distance trick may not have such a negative effect on all speaker brands. Be a judge for yourself before you rule this option out totally before trying it.

Solution 3 (Lip Sync) All your equipment must be HDMI 1.3 and brand spanking new to get this feature!

If you own a HDMI 1.3 TV do the following:

> 7. Hardware Setup > HDMI > Lip Sync (switch this to enable)

now check for the following, select:
> 4. Source Setup > A/V Sync > "Lip Sync" option will now be visible below "A/V Sync" (tweak this setting)

I have an HDMI 1.2 tv so this rules me out of this category. However, the Onkyo manual says that if you select HDMI lip sync option in the Onkyo HDMI menu settings a new option will appear below the A/V sync option (described above) called Lip Sync ... this is an "extra" level of tweaking that you gain over other people. I know for a fact that if your tv is less then hdmi 1.3 this option is invisible in the Onkyo menu.

This lip sync delay adjustment may be that little extra bit that just makes everything sync up perfect. I have not tested this myself so I cant speak too greatly on this topic. Just know, if you have a full 1.3 hdmi setup (must be a 1.3 tv too) then you can play around with this feature and test it out.

I hope all this helps some of you new owners out there. Just spend your time really giving an honest effort in tweaking this lag situation and in the end you will be happier with your viewing experiences. I promise you!

Also, if you have something to add or correct on my post please let me know and I will add your edit in. We can use a link to this post to address this question for all the new buyers from this point forward. I created this because it seemed like we have this info spread out all over the place. Perhaps down the road, someone out there can take the time to start formulating an extensive FAQ with details and links to all the popular questions we can refer people to. It would make some of the regulars job here a little easier and be able to help people more efficiently at the same time.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page