Is there an 7.1 AVR that is THX rated with HDMI sound for less than $700? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an 7.1 AVR that is THX rated with HDMI sound for less than $700?I've found 7.1 THX receivers for less than $500 with HDMI but not with HDMI sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 AM

what do you mean hdmi sound? if the receiver can accept hdmi 1.1 and you output whatever your watching or using in pcm then you can get sound anyway through the hdmi
post #3 of 33 Old 08-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Are you looking for something that can handle 7.1 channels on uncompressed PCM over HDMI?

The Denon AVR-2307CI is supposed to do this, and you can find it from an authorized dealer, reconditioned, for just under $500

Online sellers are here
http://usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp

If you want HDMI 1.3, and Dolby HD, then you probably have to pay more, but with uncompressed PCM, you really don't need anything else.

BTW, I am probably going to get a AVR-3806, which is a little more expensive, but is supposed to sound better.

Randy
post #4 of 33 Old 08-10-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I know I probably sound like I work for Yamaha, but I don't. The RX-V2600 does this. Check out one call. They even have open box units for under $500. Impressive unit. I have one and its awesome. Also check the price for new one.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just know that the 2600 can't pass 1080p over HDMI, which could become an issue at some point. Sounds like a great rig otherwise.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytsuch1 View Post

Are you looking for something that can handle 7.1 channels on uncompressed PCM over HDMI?

The Denon AVR-2307CI is supposed to do this, and you can find it from an authorized dealer, reconditioned, for just under $500

Online sellers are here
http://usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp

If you want HDMI 1.3, and Dolby HD, then you probably have to pay more, but with uncompressed PCM, you really don't need anything else.

BTW, I am probably going to get a AVR-3806, which is a little more expensive, but is supposed to sound better.

Randy

But it's not THX rated. Sigh...
post #7 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Onkyo 705.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

Sorry, missed that part of your requirement .

Good luck with your search.

Randy
post #9 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I 2nd the Onkyo 705. Picked one up at Circuit City this weekend for a little bit under $700.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Is there an 7.1 AVR that is THX rated with HDMI sound for less than $700?I've found 7.1 THX receivers for less than $500 with HDMI but not with HDMI sound.

Have you found a unit yet? I would be interested to know as well.

- Osh
post #11 of 33 Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Liked: 11
I am struggling to find a suitable reasonably priced Receiver. Looked at a slightly used Pioneer VSX 54TX Elite. How does this compare with Yamaha RX-2600? I have an old Yamaha HTR 5750. Not sure if it is doing a good job with my new Klipsch speakers and Martin Logan sub...
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
post #12 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:

just print this in tiny size

then glue it to your new receiver and voilÃ* !!! you have a THX rated receiver...

there is 10 kinds of people : those who
understand and those who don't
post #13 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The Pioneer 54TX does not have HDMI. I still say Yamaha 2600 and would also add the Onkyo 705,as others have suggested. If A Pioneer Elite is what you want to compare try looking at the VSX-80TXV. It's under $700 easily.
post #14 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

There are several..
But what level of video performance are you expecting?
To handle HDMI audio you need to have HDMI compliance of at least 1.1 but then the majority of these earlier AVRs will only handle up to 1080i..
post #15 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM

if you want some future proof i think you should consider <$799.99
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
HDMI 1.3, 7.1, THX CERTIFIED,
or tx-sr605
post #16 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdavedsp View Post

what do you mean hdmi sound? if the receiver can accept hdmi 1.1 and you output whatever your watching or using in pcm then you can get sound anyway through the hdmi

Not true, many only have hdmi connections as a pass through for another device. Pioneer comes to mind.

To the OP, drop the requirement for THX. While it is nice to have and ensures some level of quality, it is really not a necessity. There are plenty of receivers that are not THX rated, but could easily pass the standard, they just choose not to add the cost
post #17 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 AM

Three recomendations for Onkyo 705, OP doesnt respond and some are saying there arent any that fit his requirements.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

To the OP, drop the requirement for THX. While it is nice to have and ensures some level of quality, it is really not a necessity. There are plenty of receivers that are not THX rated, but could easily pass the standard, they just choose not to add the cost

that's exactly what i wanted to say with the sticker post... THX is only a sticker on the receiver, and lots of receivers don't have it but it doesn't mean they are not meeting the quality requirements, In fact THX is often a way to sell a receiver which otherwise would'nt sell well (if it didn't have the logo on it..)

post #19 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Why exactly does it have to be THX rated? Is the rest of your equipment including your speakers all THX?
post #20 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Umm, THX is more than a sticker, it includes electronics as well, but it doesn't mean that there aren't any non-THX receivers that sound as good (or better).
post #21 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Umm, THX is more than a sticker, it includes electronics as well, but it doesn't mean that there aren't any non-THX receivers that sound as good (or better).

Yes, I was only simplifying things THX is a set of requirements met by the appliance (which ones is secret it seems), as far as I know a THX certified appliance meets those requirements but it doesn't mean that a non THX certified products doesn't also meets the specifications needed.
To be THX certified you have to ask for it and pay a fee (which is added to the selling price at the end), some manufacturers don't want to pay the fee, it doens't mean their products are of lesser quality, just that they didn't ask for THX certification.

post #22 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjozdemir View Post

if you want some future proof i think you should consider <$799.99
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
HDMI 1.3, 7.1, THX CERTIFIED,
or tx-sr605

The 705 does not have a THX processing mode, which the 805 does. What does this mean exactly?

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
post #23 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephD05 View Post

The 705 does not have a THX processing mode, which the 805 does. What does this mean exactly?

Joseph

The 705 has THX - I believe it is their cheapest reciever with THX.

Here is the info from their website regarding THX on the 705...

THX Select2 Certification for a Better Class of Home Theater
From its development stage to its final conception, the TX-SR705 has been engineered to comply with the most stringent requirements of THX Select2. Select2 certification means that the TX-SR705 is ideally suited to a home theater where the viewing distance from screen to seat is around 10-12 feet and the room volume is no greater than 2000 cubic feet. Among its technologies, Advanced Speaker Array (ASA) digitally reconfigures surround speakers for three listening modes: movies, music and gaming. The THX stamp of approval also covers an A/V receiver's amplification characteristics. For example, under THX testing, the TX-SR705 has been proven to provide 12.5 amperes of peak current for its front channels and 6.2 amperes for its surrounds.

- Osh
post #24 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshuwah View Post

Joseph

The 705 has THX - I believe it is their cheapest reciever with THX.

Here is the info from their website regarding THX on the 705...

THX Select2 Certification for a Better Class of Home Theater
From its development stage to its final conception, the TX-SR705 has been engineered to comply with the most stringent requirements of THX Select2. Select2 certification means that the TX-SR705 is ideally suited to a home theater where the viewing distance from screen to seat is around 10-12 feet and the room volume is no greater than 2000 cubic feet. Among its technologies, Advanced Speaker Array (ASA) digitally reconfigures surround speakers for three listening modes: movies, music and gaming. The THX stamp of approval also covers an A/V receiver's amplification characteristics. For example, under THX testing, the TX-SR705 has been proven to provide 12.5 amperes of peak current for its front channels and 6.2 amperes for its surrounds.

- Osh

Oh I know it is THX certified, but does not have a THx PROCESSING MODE.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver

the 805 does.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
post #25 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

MLK - I am really confused now and I've noticed by your posts you seem to know what you are talking about, so...

I thought THX was a level of audio coding like Dolby or DTS. I did not know it had anything to do with hardware. I am more concerned with sound quality and getting a rich audio experience.

Of course I really have no idea what I am talking about - which is Why I have been trolling this sweet forum for the last two weeks
post #26 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

THX certification:

Manufacturers have the option of deciding if they want to APPLY for this certification, steps are spend $30-$100k ( depending on the product line dept etc ) send the Lab products for testing, ( a 3rd party certification center ) wait for them to test for sound quality, processor quality etc and the product either passes or fails, if it passes ( which a ton of high end receiver could but like others said, the choose not to spend the $$$ ) then the mfg can now put the THX badge on the box and products and charge us a premium for it. THX receivers will get you a certain level of sound quality, no doubt but keep in mind there are dozens of other avr's that could most likely pass the test but never were submitted. On another note, I would doubt that any AVR's in the $200-$400 price range could be approved for a THX rating

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #27 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoguy34 View Post

THX certification:

Manufacturers have the option of deciding if they want to APPLY for this certification, steps are spend $30-$100k ( depending on the product line dept etc ) send the Lab products for testing, ( a 3rd party certification center ) wait for them to test for sound quality, processor quality etc and the product either passes or fails, if it passes ( which a ton of high end receiver could but like others said, the choose not to spend the $$$ ) then the mfg can now put the THX badge on the box and products and charge us a premium for it. THX receivers will get you a certain level of sound quality, no doubt but keep in mind there are dozens of other avr's that could most likely pass the test but never were submitted. On another note, I would doubt that any AVR's in the $200-$400 price range could be approved for a THX rating

Thanks for the feedback. The receiver I was set on buying was the 674 which I can get on amazon cheap as it is heavily discounted. I would think this is a better AVR than the typical $200-$400 units, no?

Josh
post #28 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshuwah View Post

I thought THX was a level of audio coding like Dolby or DTS. I did not know it had anything to do with hardware. I am more concerned with sound quality and getting a rich audio experience.

Nope,
THX use Dolby Digital, the only thing is that it cuts off the frequencies below 80 Hz to send them to the sub, so if you have big speakers capable of very low frequencies, it won't matter, they won't be used, you'd better have a good sub though...
There is also some filters to cut high frequencies regarding the fact that hf are often pushed to pass through the projection screen in cinema theaters but you won't need that in your home theater, so the High frequencies need to be leveled.

post #29 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I suggest googling THX and doing a little homework.

THX implies that the unit in question passed THX certification, which is supposed to be non trivial. Depending on the level of THX, the unit may be required to produce certain output levels. There are also THX processing modes, which are built ontop of existing decoders - there is no such thing as a THX decoder that I am aware of. I don't trust my memory to explain all the THX processing modes, so once again, I suggest doing some homework.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #30 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 06:31 AM

Wow, the 705 looks like an amazing reciever for the money... anyone that has it had any problems with popping or heat like the 605/805?

- Jon
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page