Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

IIRC it also happens when unpausing. Ironically it was reports of this in the Onkyo 805 thread that steered me away from it and toward the RXV-1800. At any rate I have no regrets as I've had Yamaha for several years now and am really enjoying the 1800.

If that had been the only reported problem with the Onkyos, I would have bought one of those a long time ago. But as you probably know, there are many reported issues with them. The dealbreaker for me was the numerous reports of how long it took the Onkyos to lock on to a new audio codec when it began. This meant when a show came out of commercial and there was a change in the audio, the Onkyo would take several seconds before any audio was heard at the speakers.

As I said before, it the chapter skipping/coming out of pause issue is the only one we experience, we'll be doing far better than virtually any other HDMI receiver I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Turned up the 1800 to +10 while watching the beginning scene of The Two Towers in 6.1 DTS EX last night and overloaded it... well I assume I overloaded it because it shut down. Shouldn't it be able to handle this or am I stupid to turn it up that loud. Its not even maxed out at +10. ??

Are you deaf?

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On my RX-V1800, I noticed that there is a static sound less then a 1/4 of second for blu-ray movies that have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA soundtracks when I skip chapters, but no static sound for DD, DTS, and PCM. I assume the static sound is caused by the RX-V1800 decoding the HD audio bitstream signal from my Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player. I am not to sure if the static sound is normal for those HD audio bitstream signals. Overall I really like the RX-V1800, but this static sound is a minor annoyance for me.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Are you deaf?

Not yet...

Just like to see what it will pump out when the family is gone.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

HEHE...good enough! Have you double checked all of your speaker connections to make sure that you don't have an "arc" going on?

David Vaughn

Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Wazzey, if you don't mind my asking, what speakers are you using? I'd be curious to know the actual minimum impedance is the amp is seeing -- many speakers these days say "8 ohms" and have an actual minimum impedance much less than that -- I've seen as low as 2.5 - 3 ohms.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Need some help.

I've been running the HD-20 outputting HDMI into a DVI cable into a Hitachi 50V500 50" DLP for about a year, bypassing the Sony receiver for video. No problems.

Today, I brought home the RXV-3800. So far, very disappointing.

I am running a new HDMI cable from Sound Advice from the HD-20, which is outputting 1080i all the time (set that way) into the Yamaha receiver. The HDMI / DVI cable that I have been using is now running from the Yamaha into the Hitachi set. No picture.

I scrambled and figured out I needed to see the menu- composite into a different TV input. Tried all of the video settings, including lowering to 720 and 420P, no effect. The TV did briefly show the names of those resolutions in display text, but no picture. Also tried "pass through". 1080P is not showing as an option, as expected, so that isn't the problem. No resolutions are showing digitally.

If there is a miracle cure, or you have an idea, please let me know!

Given the money just spent, I am considering having a tech come out or swapping the unit, or buying another brand. This was really unexpected.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ian
Old 11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

On my RX-V1800, I noticed that there is a static sound less then a 1/4 of second for blu-ray movies that have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA soundtracks when I skip chapters, but no static sound for DD, DTS, and PCM. I assume the static sound is caused by the RX-V1800 decoding the HD audio bitstream signal from my Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player. I am not to sure if the static sound is normal for those HD audio bitstream signals. Overall I really like the RX-V1800, but this static sound is a minor annoyance for me.

Read the last couple of pages of this thread and you'll see this is what has been discussed. It appears both the 1800 & 3800 will have this very brief noise on some tracks (depending on how loud the beginning of the next track is) while chapter hopping. This only happens with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. On many chapters I've heard no noise since the beginning of that particular chapter starts off quietly. So it really does depend on the volume level of the chapter you're skipping to.

So yes, for now it is normal. Hopefully Yamaha will offer a firmware fix for this, but I'd recommend you call them and report the issue. The more people that call on this issue the more Yamaha will realize this is an issue.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandrysdale View Post

Need some help.

I've been running the HD-20 outputting HDMI into a DVI cable into a Hitachi 50V500 50" DLP for about a year, bypassing the Sony receiver for video. No problems.

Today, I brought home the RXV-3800. So far, very disappointing.

I am running a new HDMI cable from Sound Advice from the HD-20, which is outputting 1080i all the time (set that way) into the Yamaha receiver. The HDMI / DVI cable that I have been using is now running from the Yamaha into the Hitachi set. No picture.

I scrambled and figured out I needed to see the menu- composite into a different TV input. Tried all of the video settings, including lowering to 720 and 420P, no effect. The TV did briefly show the names of those resolutions in display text, but no picture. Also tried "pass through". 1080P is not showing as an option, as expected, so that isn't the problem. No resolutions are showing digitally.

If there is a miracle cure, or you have an idea, please let me know!

Given the money just spent, I am considering having a tech come out or swapping the unit, or buying another brand. This was really unexpected.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ian

Ian, call Yamaha tomorrow and mention your HDMI>DVI cable to them. I'm not sure of the proper setup for this type of cable, but I see these problems in countless threads and more times than I count, it's always the HDMI>DVI hookups that are causing issues. They seem to always cause issues where pure HDMI connections don't when using HDMI switchers or repeaters. But Yamaha may well be aware of how to properly set up the reciever for this.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post

Wazzey, if you don't mind my asking, what speakers are you using? I'd be curious to know the actual minimum impedance is the amp is seeing -- many speakers these days say "8 ohms" and have an actual minimum impedance much less than that -- I've seen as low as 2.5 - 3 ohms.

Sure... I might have something set wrong. I just hook em up and listen

JBL
L890 Fronts
LC2 Center
L820 surround
L810 Rear

http://jbl.com/home/products/series....=US&Region=USA

And what does it mean to check to see if I have an "arc"

thanks for the replys

Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Wazzey, those are mostly 91-92 dB sensitivity speakers -- that means they'll play pretty loud for a given amount of power.

The nominal 8 ohm impedance spec. on JBLs site doesn't mean much -- as I said actual impedance may dip to 3 ohms or lower (or not!) -- at some frequencies.

In any case, you have found the limits of the 1800s amps. Protection circuitry activated and saved expensive repair. Hard to say how much more volume you could get by adding an external power amp before overstressing your speakers.

I'm pretty sure by "arc" David meant a short -- for instance, if you are using stranded speaker wire make sure a stray strand isn't touching an opposite polarity terminal anywhere
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

That is exactly what I meant. Installing a HK receiver for a friend, we had the exact same thing happen, but only at louder levels. Disconnecting all of the speaker wire to the amp and to each speaker fixed it. We didn't see anything touching, but a stray strand may have been close enough to cause a problem.

David Vaughn

Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I've given up on getting the 1800 to work with my 7.1 setup. Can't get sound out of the back surrounds using the preouts, unless I turn the presence speakers on in the menu. I'm not sure if I have a bad unit or what, but I also discovered that when I tried to play Live Free or Die Hard with DTS-MA, I got a horrible screeching noise over the dialogue. It seems clear that it is the receiver, as I don't get it when I play DTS-MA on the same disc with the Pioneer Elte 92 TXH. Guess it will have to go back. Nice sounding receiver though -- at least through 5.1 channels.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 AM

Thanks, I will call Yamaha. I did make some progress- I disconnected the component inputs into the same input, and then cycled the resolutions from the DVR (1080 - 480I - 480P- 720- 1080). Once cycled, it locks and I have a picture. Interestingly, as soon as I activate the GUI, the picture 100% disappears, and I need to turn off the GUI, cycle...

I have component "out" setup on a different input on the TV so that I can make GUI adjustments.

At least it was usable this AM. The lock seems to be very shaky. I will call Yamaha when I can. (back to work today.)

Ian
Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info gentlemen... I'll check the connections

Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Read the last couple of pages of this thread and you'll see this is what has been discussed. It appears both the 1800 & 3800 will have this very brief noise on some tracks (depending on how loud the beginning of the next track is) while chapter hopping. This only happens with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. On many chapters I've heard no noise since the beginning of that particular chapter starts off quietly. So it really does depend on the volume level of the chapter you're skipping to.

So yes, for now it is normal. Hopefully Yamaha will offer a firmware fix for this, but I'd recommend you call them and report the issue. The more people that call on this issue the more Yamaha will realize this is an issue.

I called Yamaha support today to report this popping issue with TrueHD when using HBR audio and they had no clue what I was talking about and no reports of it.

Having owned Yamaha receivers for 10+ years now and calling their supporting now and then, this did not surprise me in the least...

Please - for everyone having this problem go to https://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/...l?CTID=5010270 and fill out the online form to report the problem. The more people they hear from the sooner they will acknowledge and hopefully resolve the issue.

I think using that form is better than calling since the calls only get to a level 1 "Humm, haven't heard of that before" contact whereas hopefully the emails sent by the online form will get escalated...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great advice lovingdvd. Everyone should take note and fill out that form. I just did.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hey guys, I'm between the Yammy 1800 and the PIO-ELite 92. Comming from a Yammy 1400 I'm more interesting in this one, but should I be that concerned about the "Brief noise" when changing chapters? is it very annoying? or no big deal at all. Thanks in advance!

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic View Post

Hey guys, I'm between the Yammy 1800 and the PIO-ELite 92. Comming from a Yammy 1400 I'm more interesting in this one, but should I be that concerned about the "Brief noise" when changing chapters? is it very annoying? or no big deal at all. Thanks in advance!

I had a RX-V1400, then went to the HTR-6090 (essentially a RX-V1700) and recently to the RX-V1800. I highly recommend it. The pop noise is a little annoying, but not greatly. Plus I only hear it if I skip around chapters. If I just sit still and watch a movie without skipping around it plays back flawlessly. To me its really more annoying that it does it at all, as opposed to the noise being annoying if you know what I mean.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

For me, the static sound is a minor problem and not a big deal. The sound lasts for about 1/4 of a second when skipping chapters on hd movies that have the advance audio. Besides the sound, I recommend the RX-V1800.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:

If that had been the only reported problem with the Onkyos, I would have bought one of those a long time ago. But as you probably know, there are many reported issues with them. The dealbreaker for me was the numerous reports of how long it took the Onkyos to lock on to a new audio codec when it began. This meant when a show came out of commercial and there was a change in the audio, the Onkyo would take several seconds before any audio was heard at the speakers.

As I said before, it the chapter skipping/coming out of pause issue is the only one we experience, we'll be doing far better than virtually any other HDMI receiver I've seen.

One of the many reasons I returned mine and bought the 1800. That, the sound and the heat were the biggest ones.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great advice lovingdvd. Everyone should take note and fill out that form. I just did.

Great. Hopefully ALL 1800/3800 owners will take a couple minutes and report this as well. Strength is in numbers, and without numbers they are likely to dismiss us as just being picky or not knowing what we are talking about...
Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm new to Yamaha Recievers. What are the comparable models in the HTR series to the 1800 or 3800?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I frankly don't find it a big deal. It doesn't happen on all chapters, only those with relatively loud beginnings to the chapters and with the advanced audio codecs. Much depends on how much chapter hopping you do (I don't do much) and how loud you play the receiver. Obviously the louder you play it, the louder the noise will be when it's there.

I found the lip synch issue on the Pioneer 94 far more disturbing. With the Pioneer, the auto lip synch is either on or off, there are no adjustments beyond that. I have found, particularly with HD DVD & BR discs, you need some adjustment latitude for lip synch.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As Im not experiencing the problem I dont feel a need to report it. Anyway, I tend to watch my movies all the way through without skipping back and forth. Im a little old school like that...

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Hello,

I found a really good deal on the RX-18oo receiver but before I purchase it I had a few questions that the sales person couldn't answer. I've read through this thread and I think I have the answers but I need to be sure.

To allow the receiver to upscale the SD sources coming in from my DVD player and satellite box, is it true that I need to connect these using component video instead of the HDMI outputs? (The DVD player has upscaling to 1080i via HDMI, but I have a feeling the 1800 will do a better job. The Satellite receiver is HD but we still watch many SD programs)

Will the RX-1800 output 1080i HD via Component video to a second TV another room?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Well I picked up a Yamaha 3800 after having gone through a Sony 5300, Elite 94 and Denon 3808. The Yammy is a keeper!

I was really growing weary of different issues with each of the receivers. The Sony had HDMI switching issues, inconsistent ability to switch to the on-screen GUI from a 1080p input and some trouble with initiating Dolby True HD from an HD DVD player.

The Denon just didn't sound good to my ears although it didn't have the Sony issues. The sound was too thin with a lacking in the low end.

The Pioneer sounded great, but I wound up having lip synch issues with the advanced audio codecs. The problem here is that the lip synch setting on the Pioneer is automatic and can't be adjusted. So it either works or it doesn't and you can't intervene to nudge the delay so that everything looks right. Some people aren't as sensitive to lip synch issues, but when you are, you just want to turn the TV off.

Enter the Yamaha. It works! It sounds superb with tons of low-end output! It does everything it's supposed to and allows all sorts of adjustments many other receivers don't. Even something as simple as a 'trim' adjustment to equalize the volume of all your sources, is missing on most receivers. The Yamaha has it.

The lip-synch adjustment is more sophisticated than any other receiver I've encountered. Very nice! I just wish they would have allowed a unique adjustment for each input. But as LovingHD said above, you can store unique settings in the memory slots and then have your remote do a macro when you switch sources.

I've had a number of Yamahas in the past and I guess in retrospect this should have been my first 'look-see' at a new HDMI switching receiver.

Same, I just returned my 3808 after being unhappy with the sound, especially from movies which is what I use my receiver for 99 percent of the time. This might be due to the fact I was a very happy DSP-A1 owner for over 10 years. The new 3800 sounds amazing! I do suffer the same 'click' noise when surfing through different channels. Kind of annoying especially when the volume is up.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Well for the record I returned my 1800. Not for any real issues rather at $699 the Onkyo 805 seems like a better buy. I just spent four hours with it (HDTiVo and Blu-ray) and so far no lip sync issues that had me worried.

I didn't like the sound of the Pioneer 92 at all (I'm sure I could have tweaked it to sound better) and the 1800 sounded as nice as the 1700 I just sold. So far the Onkyo 805 has a little more punch to it. Not as crisp and clear and I'm liking it (outside of the dialog (center channel) appearing a little boxy at times and at other times it sounds better than the 1800). Overall it sounds halfway between the Sony 30ES and Denon 3805 receivers I used to own.

If I end up having issues with the 805 I'll probably visit Best Buy with another coupon in hand and go back to the 1800. It's a solid receiver.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I personally never ventured into Onkyo waters. After wading through all the Onkyo threads (805, 875, 905), it seemed to me those receivers had more issues than any of the current crop of HDMI receivers. The issue of the lag time before the Onkyos lock on to a new audio codec was what convinced me to stay away. There was way too many reports of TV shows that came off of commercial breaks where the receiver didn't lock on to the DD audio of the program for several seconds. That would drive me nuts.

But hopefully you'll be lucky and not experience these issues. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

The issue of the lag time before the Onkyos lock on to a new audio codec was what convinced me to stay away.

I hardly ever watch TV in the theater. However when it switches codecs with Blu-ray and HD DVD you hear a little pop... they even added it their release notes... it's expected.

I had written it off too. But reading this post by bfdtv got me to give it a try.

By the way I think you can get around the lock on issue by changing the default surround field to be the same for the different codecs. I mostly use PLIIx Movie anyway.

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver