Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCPHT View Post

Spoke too soon. The DTS bomb is alive and well. Had a good one too, scared the crap out of me and the dog! This was in Flyboys HD-DVD around 50 something minutes in.

So, does the firmware update really not fix this problem or is something else going on here? Has anyone else been able to confirm that this has been fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I missed the info on the firmware update, any one care to link back?

thanks! I'm still shopping for a "new" avr. (1800, 663, ?)
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM

I am wondering if they 'fixed' the problem by writing a bit of code to cover the known issues with the current titles; sort of a title specific fix.

I have Flight of the Phoenix and watched it several times with no issues. So far it is only Flyboys (also known to show this problem) that is giving me problems. My copy is an import HD DVD, not the domestic Blu-ray. The disk gives me no other problems except this. Playing it on my HD DVD player in the bedroom, which only does DTS, the movie is fine.

I am not sure exactly what is going on. I am contacting Yamaha to see if they are aware of the issue. For all I know, the Dutch HD DVD is authored incorrectly.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCPHT View Post

I am not sure exactly what is going on. I am contacting Yamaha to see if they are aware of the issue. For all I know, the Dutch HD DVD is authored incorrectly.

Thanks - I hope they didn't take the "fix certain discs" approach as Samsung seems to have done with my Blu-ray player.

I must complain about YPAO some more. I just ran it twice in a row with the "Flat" and "Natural" options and it came up with slightly different speaker levels each time? Also, it irritates me that it seems I can only see the actual speaker levels (in number form) when I am viewing the YPAO results. If I try to change them manually after the calibration all I get is a "meter" just like the dreaded "volume meter" (what exactly does Yamaha have against actual numbers anyways??).
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Thanks - I hope they didn't take the "fix certain discs" approach as Samsung seems to have done with my Blu-ray player.

I must complain about YPAO some more. I just ran it twice in a row with the "Flat" and "Natural" options and it came up with slightly different speaker levels each time? Also, it irritates me that it seems I can only see the actual speaker levels (in number form) when I am viewing the YPAO results. If I try to change them manually after the calibration all I get is a "meter" just like the dreaded "volume meter" (what exactly does Yamaha have against actual numbers anyways??).

Yes the dreaded meter shows up far too often! After I change levels I usually end up checking the numeric values once I leave the setup menu (with the "level" button on the remote).

BTW I have a solution to the volume meter if you don't mind having a PC connected to the RS-232 port all the time. It's still in the experimental stage, but the idea is that you still use your remote control (you don't need to sit with the PC on your lap!) but when you change volume a program on the PC will detect it and send a command via RS-232 to write the appropriate volume in large numbers on the front panel. Once I polish it up a bit I can share it.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

BTW I have a solution to the volume meter if you don't mind having a PC connected to the RS-232 port all the time. It's still in the experimental stage, but the idea is that you still use your remote control (you don't need to sit with the PC on your lap!) but when you change volume a program on the PC will detect it and send a command via RS-232 to write the appropriate volume in large numbers on the front panel. Once I polish it up a bit I can share it.

Sounds great. Please share it when it's ready (I still need to get an RS232 extender but would love to try it eventually). The other thing I was thinking that might be cool would be to write a display plugin for the LCD Smartie program so that we could display various information on the front panel display (weather, time, etc.). Do you know if it is possible to write to both lines of the display?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Sounds great. Please share it when it's ready (I still need to get an RS232 extender but would love to try it eventually). The other thing I was thinking that might be cool would be to write a display plugin for the LCD Smartie program so that we could display various information on the front panel display (weather, time, etc.). Do you know if it is possible to write to both lines of the display?

The OSD message function only writes to the top line of the display, and it blanks out the second line. If it were possible to write to both lines independently we could have a lot of fun with it.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
"Once I polish it up a bit I can share it."

Very impressive krik... Really, quite impressive. Maybe an added feature to the software manager package?

Since the Denon 3808 overlays the volume, etc., even with the HDMI having a signal on it, it can be done that way. Not sure why Yamaha hasn't added it.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"Once I polish it up a bit I can share it."

Very impressive krik... Really, quite impressive. Maybe an added feature to the software manager package?

Since the Denon 3808 overlays the volume, etc., even with the HDMI having a signal on it, it can be done that way. Not sure why Yamaha hasn't added it.

Someone at Yamaha obviously thought a graphical volume meter on the front panel would be cool, but they were wrong (and apparently they have already gone back to large numbers on the 663/863).

I'm not sure exactly what the Denon volume overlay looks like (number or meter), but personally I think it would be distracting for other people watching a movie to see stuff appearing on the screen whenever I tweaked the volume a bit. I'd rather just look at the front panel display.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

krik...

Numbers and on the screen its a bar graph. Its not distracting. Skinny, down at bottom of screen. Only there for a moment. Works nicely.

You can turn it off as well so if you don't want to see it you don't have to. The numbers while not huge on the front of the AVR are big enough to read from across the room.

You'd think if the display can display larger numbers/letters they'd at least consider....

What am I thinking.....?

Sorry. I'm back.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM

I am getting ready to purchase my L-C-R speakers for my 1800. I have to go in-walls for the L & R. Many of the speakers I am considering (Pinnacle and Polk LC's for example) are 4 ohm. For instance:

Polk LC 265i L & R + Polk LSI center = 4 ohm

vs

Polk TC 265i L & R + Polk A6 center = 8 ohm

Is the RX - V1800 up to the task of pushing the 4 ohm speakers up front, or should I just save myself a few bucks and go with the 8 ohm offerings.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post

I am getting ready to purchase my L-C-R speakers for my 1800. I have to go in-walls for the L & R. Many of the speakers I am considering (Pinnacle and Polk LC's for example) are 4 ohm. For instance:

vs

Is the RX - V1800 up to the task of pushing the 4 ohm speakers up front, or should I just save myself a few bucks and go with the 8 ohm offerings.

Thanks in advance.

Short answer, yes.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:

vs

Thanks in advance.

Fact: 4 ohm speakers play louder but playing louder mean more distortion.
The in between for less distortion and good power is 8 ohm.

But the 1800 is up for the task with 4 ohm speakers.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I think your center channel might cause a problem.

On page 117 of the manual it list speaker impedance settings, there are two (8 ohm minimum and 6 ohm minimum)

The 8 ohm setting is pretty straight forward...all speakers must be 8 ohms or higher.

The 6 ohm setting has a few differences.

When choosing the 6 ohm setting the front speakers must be 4 ohms or higher, but center and surrounds must be 6 ohms or higher.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Not sure if code still works, but I ordered the 1800 from 6th Avenue last night using an old code "AFLYAM768" I found in this forum. Got shipping confirmation today. $768.00 no tax and free ship. I'm a happy camper.
Any one want to buy a used Onkyo TX-SR703?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_MO_Guy View Post

I think your center channel might cause a problem.

On page 117 of the manual it list speaker impedance settings, there are two (8 ohm minimum and 6 ohm minimum)

The 8 ohm setting is pretty straight forward...all speakers must be 8 ohms or higher.

The 6 ohm setting has a few differences.

When choosing the 6 ohm setting the front speakers must be 4 ohms or higher, but center and surrounds must be 6 ohms or higher.

I have two Vienna Acoustic 4 ohms attached and researched this very carefully before purchase and you are OK with them, but it is an added level of complexity that is not warrented if you are going with the Polk speakers. I would just get the 8 ohm and make your life simpler.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the 4 vs 8 ohm thing fellas. So many speaker choices and going in-wall really complicates things because they are damn near impossible to demo and to make things worse, reviews are few and far between. Now tormenting myself over these combos:

Pinnacle
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/superk555.html
&
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/bd600.html

NHT
http://nhthifi.com/current/products/...rs/threec.html
&
http://nhthifi.com/current/products/speakers/iw4.html
Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM

I just got a v-1800 and I'm in the planning stages for inputs, etc.

I have a question - if I have more AV devices than can be accomodated by the 6 inputs provided (HD-DVD, DVD, DTV/CBL, DVR, VCR, V-AUX) can I use one input for two different devices, by assigning HDMI and Component, and COAX and an Opt to the same input?

(I assume that CD and CD-R will not have the option of assigning a video input)

If yes, and both devices are on (shouldn't happen, but could) is there a priority system such that it selects HDMI over Component, and OPT over COAX?

Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frollo View Post

I just got a v-1800 and I'm in the planning stages for inputs, etc.

I have a question - if I have more AV devices than can be accomodated by the 6 inputs provided (HD-DVD, DVD, DTV/CBL, DVR, VCR, V-AUX) can I use one input for two different devices, by assigning HDMI and Component, and COAX and an Opt to the same input?

(I assume that CD and CD-R will not have the option of assigning a video input)

If yes, and both devices are on (shouldn't happen, but could) is there a priority system such that it selects HDMI over Component, and OPT over COAX?

Hope this makes sense.

Yes. ex: You could have four different video input sources into one video "category" (S-video, composite, component, HDMI). There is a sequence the AVR will look for (starting with HDMI) but I'd just leave it set to AUTO and you can select the input type manually. Or, just turn off the unwanted device and the AVR will switch to the next source.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM

How does the Yammy 1800 and 3800 compare to the Denon AVR 3808? Sound quality wise, video quality / upscaling wise and over all? I recently picked up an RX-v1800 but a deal on a Denon AVR3808 came up and I'm considering trading. Also I notice the Denon uses up to 8 seating positions for calibration while the Yammy only 1. Does that play a significant role on the SQ?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hello 1800/3800 owners,

I am about to join the Family very soon,

Currently using an RX-V661 , but need to add a second AVR because
I'm moving into a larger home soon, more rooms = more room for toys.

I dont need a lot more power, but am certainly interested in an increase
plus some of the features/specs of the 1800 appeal to me as well.

My front towers get pounded pretty hard for music and my speakers
are Mission M34i with a fairly High Sensitivity (SPL/M @ 2.83V) 92dB
(Recommended Amplifier 25-150W)

I'm using a PS3/HD-PVR/A2 HD DVD/XBOX360 as my main sources
...also have CD/SACD/VCR and a Turntable

But I cant seem to shake a die-hard fanboy who is convinced the new RX-V663 is the end all and be all of AVR's.

These are not even available in Canada yet, so they will be a premium for a while,
as opposed to some bargain deals showing up on the 1800's locally.
($***.**) almost what I paid for my 661 just last Summer

Is there anyway an RX-663 at 95w/ch @ 0.06 THD
will sound better at near reference levels
than running the RX-V1800 at 130w/ch @ 0.04 THD ?

He wont let the issue die and is convinvced I'm wasting my money
for something I will never hear a difference in. I'm convinced the
1800 has to sound better than my 661. Am I crazy?

just an aside note,
I've had 5 different Yamaha receivers over the last 20 years,
and the 1800/3800 is by FAR the nicest looking Yamaha to date.

That alone is good enough for me
I already know they sound the best!

Would any of you give up your 1800 for a 663,
and add an extra HDMI switch
and an external amp for more power if the price worked out about equal?

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Hello 1800/3800 owners,
Would any of you give up your 1800 for a 663,
and add an extra HDMI switch
and an external amp for more power if the price worked out about equal?

Since you're in Canada, I noticed that yamaha.ca just added the 663 to their web site, and Best Buy Canada is now selling the HTR-6160 which is the same thing. But it's not that cheap at BB (compared to the deals available from the US on the Internet).

I can imagine someone choosing the 663 over the 1800 on the basis of price alone, but if you have to add external switches and amps to make up for missing features, why bother?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Since you're in Canada, I noticed that yamaha.ca just added the 663 to their web site, and Best Buy Canada is now selling the HTR-6160 which is the same thing. But it's not that cheap at BB (compared to the deals available from the US on the Internet).

I can imagine someone choosing the 663 over the 1800 on the basis of price alone, but if you have to add external switches and amps to make up for missing features, why bother?

THANK YOU!, that's my whole point
I dont need tons of more power, but any I can get is more than welcome
The 4 HDMI's would be great!,my 661 and the 663 only have 2 HDMI's

plus the 1800 is just so darn sexy looking

Thank's for the headsup on the Yam.ca site...that must have just happened
I was there not 2 hours ago and there was nothing on the new AVR's

You know what's really insane is BB/Futureshop's price on the 6190
...the same model as the RX-V1800
almost $1500

I found an 1800 for half that (really close to the RX-V663 ,HTR-6161 price locally)
plus the 1800 comes with a seperate remote for Zone 2/3 that the 6190 doesnt get.

no need for addition amps/wires/HDMI switch boxes

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM

I just got my new 1800 all hooked up. All I can say is ... WOW. It replaced my trusty RX-v997 and I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the difference, at least not until I got a PS3. But it is fantastic. Crisp, clear sound - hearing things I'm sure I would not have heard before. I'm sure some of it is expectations rather than reality, but it sounds terrific.

Also, the video upscaling is fantastic. Much better than I hoped. I connected my PVR (8300HD) using component rather than HDMI so that it would scale the non-HD channels. It looks marvelous (connected to a PT-Ax100 projector). Even the HD channels look better - likely because I was switching the component through a cheap switch since my old receiver didn't do component switching. The colours are sharper, the picture is sharper. And the non-HD channels look great (did I say that already?)

Next up - see how SD video gaming looks (Wii, PS2).

I also hooked up some old speakers I had lying around as presence speakers - and used the dialog lift - it really works, and works well.

Now I'm thinking about getting the back speakers - maybe just one, making it a 6.1.

OSD - looks like a video game from the ATARI days - but hey, it gets the job done. Its not like you have to use the menu every day.

Oh - I also like the sensitivity on the volume control. Much finer control than on my older Yamaha.

Now I can't wait for a PS3 to see how HD sound, sounds like.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am getting ready to purchase my L-C-R speakers for my 1800. I have to go in-walls for the L & R. Many of the speakers I am considering (Pinnacle and Polk LC's for example) are 4 ohm.
(edit)

You'll find in this thread and on other audio forums, not only will the larger Yamaha's drive 4 ohm loads, they'll do it on the 8 ohm setting. I've driven 4 ohm speakers in 5.1 with the 2500, 2600, 4600, 2700, and 3800 with no problems. Look at Yamaha's specs, and you'll see dynamic (IHF) power ratings down to 2 ohms.

This does NOT mean you should try to drive 2 ohm loads with the Yamaha (or even some pro amps!). Also, as with most receivers, the power supply will limit your ability to put max power into low impedance loads of all channels simultaneously -- but if you are looking at needing that much power (large room and/or very inefficient speakers) you're going to need power amps anyway. I don't think you'll have any problems with the 1800 and the speakers you are talking about.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM

I was worried about the 4ohm speakers too. My two front AND centre are 4Ohm. No problem at all.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

talon....

I had both the 1800 and the Denon 3808 in my front room in real world use. I stayed with the Denon 3808. Better features, upscaling better than the 1800. The 3800 has good upscaling as well. The 3800 to the 3808 woud be a tough call. The 1800 to the 3808 my opinion is the 3808.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

talon....

I had both the 1800 and the Denon 3808 in my front room in real world use. I stayed with the Denon 3808. Better features, upscaling better than the 1800. The 3800 has good upscaling as well. The 3800 to the 3808 woud be a tough call. The 1800 to the 3808 my opinion is the 3808.

For sure the Denon 3808 should be compared to the Yamaha 3800 (not the 1800) on features, but for sound quality alone are you saying the Yamaha 1800 and Denon 3808 are pretty close?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

krik...

At the level we are talking about here the differences are not going to be huge. For me the Denon sounds better, cleaner or crisper, dialog easier to understand and Audyssey does a much better job of creating a listening environment rather than a sweet spot like YPAO/MACC do. Yes, the 3808 sounds better than the 1800 to me.

That does not mean the 1800 sounds bad.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

krik...

At the level we are talking about here the differences are not going to be huge. For me the Denon sounds better, cleaner or crisper, dialog easier to understand and Audyssey does a much better job of creating a listening environment rather than a sweet spot like YPAO/MACC do. Yes, the 3808 sounds better than the 1800 to me.

That does not mean the 1800 sounds bad.

For anyone relying on auto-setup, the Denon sounds like it has the advantage. If you set up manually (like me), there's probably not much in it. Certainly Yamaha YPAO came up with some odd results when I tried it.

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver