The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8760 Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows View Post

Which buttons on the remote activate them? Again, the manual has zero information about this, unless I'm missing something.

You will need to program the following remote codes into your universal remote:

DC1 Trigger, Zone 1 ON - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=73
DC1 Trigger, Zone 1 OFF - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=74

DC2 Trigger, Zone 1 ON - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=3E
DC2 Trigger, Zone 1 OFF - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=3F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8760 Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM

So, if my remote (MX-500) only has some pre-programmed stuff and learning, I'm SOL with that?
post #543 of 8760 Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM

I'm not familiar with the MX-500, but if it has macro programming capability, you should be able to program a macro to power on the Yahama receiver and then send the remote code to active the trigger. You can assign the macro to a button on the remote so when you push that button, it will send the commands stored in the macro. The macro is essentially a series of commands assigned to a button on the universal remote.

I know Harmony remotes support macro commands, but I'm not sure about the MX-500....hope this helps.
post #544 of 8760 Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So if I'm only using HDMI in and out on the 3800 and I want to have a remote monitor I have to buy a HDMI switcher?
post #545 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM

hey guys,
just how inportant ARE these 'interlacing' issues??

total newbie here, after reading probably 100 reviews on a/v receivers i found yours very helpful
Read the review on the Yamaha 3800 the only hangup was this passthru as opposed to processing issue. to the casual noob, does it truly matter?

re:The only personal letdown for me was the AVR's inability to process certain video signals to 1080p; instead it simply passes them through. Even with this shortcoming, this is an excellent product and is worthy of your consideration when looking for an AVR in this price class.
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...800/index.html

?1 how does that fact affect watching tv thru my hd cable box?
?2 would using a blu ray or hd dvd be preferable? as in is one better than the other?
this machine sounds right for me -but i want to know which image quality suffers and which does not
thank you
george

what makes this issue a 'shortcoming'?
my display is an elite pro940 plasma, how would this 'shortcoming' affect my image?
thanx for answering what may be an obvious question from a nearly clueless noob
geo
post #546 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM

I'm considering pulling the trigger on the 1800 (upgrade from 1200) very soon.
I've read through all the above posts but have a few questions concerning the advanced audio codecs.
I have the Toshiba HD-A1 and the Panny BD10 and would like to know if :
1) DTS HD-MA from the Panny via HDMI, do I get full bitrate or DTS 'core' ?
2) THD from the Toshiba, similar question - full lossless or DTS 1.5mb down-converted ?
post #547 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_S View Post

2) THD from the Toshiba, similar question - full lossless or DTS 1.5mb down-converted ?

HD-A1 will give you full lossless via HDMI. (I'm not sure about the Panasonic, but it'll be the determining factor -- if it can process DTS-HD or pass it through, the 1600 can handle it.)
post #548 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenarchik View Post

what makes this issue a 'shortcoming'?

It's a capability that some competing units offer right now, most notably the Onkyo 875 with its Reon chip and the Denon AVR-3808 with its Faroudja chip. For my part, after reading about all the issues people have had with the Onkyo and Denon, I've concluded that video processing in receivers at this level is still unsettled and immature, and it's probably best to get a unit like the Yamaha that doesn't have it than to get a unit that has a half-baked implementation.

Anyway, as to the effects for you: It will not make anything worse; if you're using your sources or your display to deinterlace and scale right now, you'll continue to do so. It just won't make anything better.
post #549 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Very simple, you use a mono 1/8" plug to send a 12v current.

So I did end up buying the 1800, and I went to hook the trigger up, and... oops. The 12v trigger on my amp (Parasound HCA-1500A, circa 1997) is two screw-down things that look like they're designed to take bare wire. Anyone know if this is compatible with the 1800, and if so, what cable I need?
post #550 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Thank you very much for your reply!!
Very helpful.
I have 0 equipment except the elite 940HD (740 i believe).
The cable HD picture looks fantastico, and as long as nothing is worse , I am way cool with that!
May I ask, what a/v receiver do you own and why?
g
post #551 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:

HD-A1 will give you full lossless via HDMI. (I'm not sure about the Panasonic, but it'll be the determining factor -- if it can process DTS-HD or pass it through, the 1600 can handle it.)

Thanks, but I believe that my question was not entirely clear. I know for a fact that the Toshiba A1 will pass lossless THD through the HDMI, but I'm more interested in finding out what exactly will I be hearing from the Yamaha 1800, THD lossless or just a down convert to 1.5mbs 'core' as I get right now from my existing RXV-1200 through optical.
The Panasonic BD10, I'm not sure if it will pass DTS HD-MA through HDMI (even though I do have the very latest firmware).
post #552 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 PM

The 1800 will decode TrueHD, so it is a lossless signal if you pass TrueHD. (I didn't think the A1 passed TrueHD, but it definitely decodes it in the player and sends uncompressed multi-channel PCM across HDMI, which amounts to the same thing.)
post #553 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:

The 1800 will decode TrueHD, so it is a lossless signal if you pass TrueHD. (I didn't think the A1 passed TrueHD, but it definitely decodes it in the player and sends uncompressed multi-channel PCM across HDMI, which amounts to the same thing.)

I kinda figured the same thing.
I believe (according to the specs) that I may have to get THD, from the Toshiba, decoded by the Yamaha and use the analogs to get DTS HD from the Panasonic.

BTW, are there any good deals in the Toronto area for the 1800 this week?
post #554 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_S View Post

I believe (according to the specs) that I may have to get THD, from the Toshiba, decoded by the Yamaha and use the analogs to get DTS HD from the Panasonic.

No. The Toshiba will decode TrueHD internally and send it across as PCM to your receiver (which will not show that it's receiving a TrueHD signal, because it's not). And if the Panasonic can decode DTS-HD to the analogs, it can do it to the HDMI (I have no idea whether it can do either, but it's both or nothing).
post #555 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Well I audition the RX-V1800 last saturday: The sound quality from this one is totally amazing, coming from a RX-V1400(nice unit by the way) I got to say that this unit sounds more detail, warmer but very crips and natural at the same time. For me at least this (800 series) have the most balaced sound in a mid-price receiver I've heard.That same day I ordered mine. good work Yamaha!

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #556 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM

I got the unit from J&R for $899 shipped. It is the best sounding receiver I've ever owned. I will echo what most have already said here about the SQ. Warm, detailed, and the bass is just phenomenal. As far as the SQ goes you will not be disappointed.

I was disappointed in the remote for this unit. It's big and clunky and doing anything other than controlling basic functions is a pain. You will NOT want to use this as your universal remote. Very poorly designed IMHO. The GUI does not overlay with HDMI, big bummer for me. It makes it very difficult to make changes while watching a movie or program. Also, there is no dedicated "NIGHT" button on the remote which sucks because you have to go all the way into the GUI to turn it on. I wish Yamaha would have spent more time on the ergonomics of the unit and making it more user-friendly. The manual isn't the clearest either, I spotted some Engrish here and there.

Still, despite these flaws this is an excellent receiver to get.
post #557 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
lpr

I'm curious is anybody using this amp with a SA8000 HD PVR?

I'm using a Monster DVI to HDMI adapter and a hdmi cable to get to the RX-V1800.

I find the image to be too dark and contrasty when I'm passing through the amp. I'm not having this issue with other hdmi devices or when I plug the SA8000 directly in the projector.

Any idea what may be causing this?
post #558 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone (HD DVD) is the first title I've tried with True HD EX and I couldn't get the 3800 to automatically detect the EX flag. It does read EX under Signal Info but I had to force EX in the surround setup. I'm using an HD-A35 to send bitstream to the 3800. To compare, I popped in Gladiator and selected the DTS track and it automatically showed DTS 6.1 Discreet. Usually I use DPLIIx but if a title is already EX or ES I try to set everything to Auto. Can anyone else who has the Potter disc confirm?
post #559 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

I got the unit from J&R for $899 shipped.

When did you get it for this price?

that is a great buy. I wonder if 6th Ave. would price match?
thanks...

<><

RTR
post #560 of 8760 Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER View Post

When did you get it for this price?

that is a great buy. I wonder if 6th Ave. would price match?
thanks...

<><

J&R is selling RX-V1800 for $899 and RX-V3800 for $1299. If you call them and place the order through phone,they will give you for that price. Also ask them for free shipping. I was able to get free shipping (I live in NJ) anf got the receiver within 2 days.

I don't think 6AVE price match it because it is not an advertised price. But 6AVE and Electronics-Expo are selling RX-V1800 for $999 and RX-V3800 for $1399 either through their store (you may have to ask for the deal) or through their phone sales.
post #561 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknown View Post

J&R is selling RX-V1800 for $899 and RX-V3800 for $1299. If you call them and place the order through phone,they will give you for that price. Also ask them for free shipping. I was able to get free shipping (I live in NJ) anf got the receiver within 2 days.

I don't think 6AVE price match it because it is not an advertised price. But 6AVE and Electronics-Expo are selling RX-V1800 for $999 and RX-V3800 for $1399 either through their store (you may have to ask for the deal) or through their phone sales.

thanks...

Could you or someone else describe the problem these receivers are having when FF a chapter on a Bluray or HD DVD advanced audio? I have read about noise on this thread but is this a definite problem on all these receivers and if so is there going to be a fix? I had honestly thought of buying one of these for the new HDMI 1.3 but was scared off by this problem. thanks for any help that you could give me.

<><

RTR
post #562 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:

thanks...

Could you or someone else describe the problem these receivers are having when FF a chapter on a Bluray or HD DVD advanced audio? I have read about noise on this thread but is this a definite problem on all these receivers and if so is there going to be a fix? I had honestly thought of buying one of these for the new HDMI 1.3 but was scared off by this problem. thanks for any help that you could give me.

<><

I don't have an HD-DVD or Blue-Ray player. From what I have seen from my friend's home(as well as read from this forum), this is not a major issue. When you skip chapters on an HD-DVD player (only when you skip) with True HD, you hear a clicking sound. It is not a really a terrible thing. You can definitely live with that (thats my personal opinion).
post #563 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM

I own the RXV1800 and really like it but recently when i use hdmi in i found a bit of clipping in the sound? Has anyone else experienced this?
post #564 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknown View Post

I don't have an HD-DVD or Blue-Ray player. From what I have seen from my friend's home(as well as read from this forum), this is not a major issue. When you skip chapters on an HD-DVD player (only when you skip) with True HD, you hear a clicking sound. It is not a really a terrible thing. You can definitely live with that (thats my personal opinion).

That is correct. On many chapter you hear no noise at all since it's dependent upon how loud the next chapter starts off. Considering that's the only issue I've had with the Yamaha 3800, I'm extremely pleased. I've tried a few of the other HDMI receivers and they all have more issues than this and most don't sound as good.
post #565 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

I was disappointed in the remote for this unit. It's big and clunky and doing anything other than controlling basic functions is a pain. You will NOT want to use this as your universal remote. Very poorly designed IMHO. The GUI does not overlay with HDMI, big bummer for me. It makes it very difficult to make changes while watching a movie or program. Also, there is no dedicated "NIGHT" button on the remote which sucks because you have to go all the way into the GUI to turn it on. I wish Yamaha would have spent more time on the ergonomics of the unit and making it more user-friendly. The manual isn't the clearest either, I spotted some Engrish here and there.

Could you explain the gui not overlaying with the hdmi. I'm looking for a receiver with osd through the hdmi connection. Are you saying that if you bring up the osd, the video disappears?

Thanks.
post #566 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Ken Ross;12514379]That is correct. On many chapter you hear no noise at all since it's dependent upon how loud the next chapter starts off. QUOTE]

What does the noise sound like? Is it a dead air sound or clicking and/or popping or something different?

thanks.

<><

RTR
post #567 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonW View Post

Could you explain the gui not overlaying with the hdmi. I'm looking for a receiver with osd through the hdmi connection. Are you saying that if you bring up the osd, the video disappears?

Thanks.

That is correct. This happens with most, if not all, current receivers.
post #568 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 2609
[quote=BAMAVADER;12515295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

That is correct. On many chapter you hear no noise at all since it's dependent upon how loud the next chapter starts off. QUOTE]

What does the noise sound like? Is it a dead air sound or clicking and/or popping or something different?

thanks.

Probably somewhere between a click and a pop. I can't imagine this causing any harm to speakers if that's what you're concerned about.
post #569 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 142
[quote=Ken Ross;12516722]
Quote:

Probably somewhere between a click and a pop. I can't imagine this causing any harm to speakers if that's what you're concerned about.

Has anyone that opened a case with Yamaha about this heard anything back? I sent mine in via email a few weeks ago and never heard a peep since.
post #570 of 8760 Old 12-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post

So if I'm only using HDMI in and out on the 3800 and I want to have a remote monitor I have to buy a HDMI switcher?

After more reading, I'm about 98% sure this is a "yes" but can someone confirm?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page