Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post

It sits on the bottom of my TV stand, there is plenty of ventilation above it since the stand is open. There is a 360 and PS3 above it. I did have it up pretty loud but what will happen when I move into a bigger place and really want to crank it up? I can only get 3hrs out of it? I guess I will have to purchase some power PC fans and sit it on top of it or something.

Yamaha recommends almost 12" of clearance above the receiver and about 8" on the sides and back. (30cm and 20cm.) It's quite possible that you'll have to add some "forced air" if you're running it that loud for long periods of time.

I'd worry more about my hearing at those levels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

There is no way around it, and no, not even with adding a external amp can it be done. You either need to buy a RX-Z9 or the new RX-Z11 if you want it.

There may in fact be a simple workaround, although not adding true rear surround. For my old Yamaha DSP-AX3200 I added a switch at the single rear centre/rear surround which allowed me to feed the speaker with the input from the + terminal of one surround speaker, and the - terminal of the other. I found this to fill out the rear sound field nicely when I was feeding the amp the analog 5.1 PCM input of BDs, or 5.1 analog SACD/DVD-A. After upgrading to the 3800 I won't be needing this anymore, except for the analog SACD input, but wouldn't this be worth trying together with a presence speaker setup? I'm not aware of any risks involved by creating this fake rear surround channel, for me it worked nicely.
post #723 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

You have a 7 channel amp. You are maxed out at 7.1.

It was my understanding that the presence speakers are driven by separate, smaller amps (35w-50w?), and not by the standard 7.1 amps. Was I incorrect in thinking that?
post #724 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have any issue with the receiver shutting off? My RX- V1800 shut off today after about 3hrs of use at the volume around -5. I'm guessing this is just due to overheating? Anyone else experience this? Should I take it back to Best Buy or purchase some fans to sit ontop of the receiver?

I had mine running for 10 hours or so on Tuesday and Wednesday at about -12, and there were no heat issues. I'd put it through some more tests to assure it's not defective.
post #725 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

It was my understanding that the presence speakers are driven by separate, smaller amps (35w-50w?), and not by the standard 7.1 amps. Was I incorrect in thinking that?

Don't think so. It's rating is 140w x 7 amps = 980 total watts
post #726 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhead View Post

How exactly can these codes be programmed into a Harmony remote?

From other reading I've discovered that the Yamaha maintains a 12v level on its trigger outs while it is on. My amps need a pulse to turn them on and another pulse to turn them off. So I was planning to send an OFF signal after the Yamaha comes on (to simulate a pulse) and an ON signal just before switching off the Yamaha to create another pulse.

I've learned more about the Triggers on the RX-V3800 and am posting the info for future reference. TitanFan has noted that the commands are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFan View Post

You will need to program the following remote codes into your universal remote:

DC1 Trigger, Zone 1 ON - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=73
DC1 Trigger, Zone 1 OFF - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=74

DC2 Trigger, Zone 1 ON - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=3E
DC2 Trigger, Zone 1 OFF - Custom Code=7E, Data Code=3F

Here's how Trigger 1 works:
When the receiver is first switched on it sets Trigger 1 High, maintaining a 12V voltage while the receiver is on. The voltage drops to 0 when the receiver is turned off. However, if during operation Trigger 1 is set Low using a remote control, then when the receiver is next switched on, Trigger 1 will remain Low. Apparently the state of the trigger at shutoff is reproduced when the receiver is next switched on.

I experimented with Trigger 1 only. I expect Trigger 2 behaves the same way.

I used tools from remotecentral.com (mkhex, hex2ccf, decodeIR etc.) to program them into a Radio Shack remote connected to a PC and then "learned" them into the Harmony remote.

In the Harmony remote I left the receiver 's PowerOn command unchanged. I changed PowerOff to use the sequence Trigger 1 Low, Trigger 1 High, PowerOff. Since my amps require a low to high transition for both turn on and turn off, they now remain in sync with the receiver.
post #727 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

Yamaha recommends almost 12" of clearance above the receiver and about 8" on the sides and back. (30cm and 20cm.) It's quite possible that you'll have to add some "forced air" if you're running it that loud for long periods of time.

I'd worry more about my hearing at those levels!

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated. I only have about half those clearance measurements, didn't realize an AVR needed that much space. Anyone have an fan setup's with their receiver that work well (and quietly)?
post #728 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated. I only have about half those clearance measurements, didn't realize an AVR needed that much space. Anyone have an fan setup's with their receiver that work well (and quietly)?

I run less than an inch of top/side clearance and 2-3 inches in the rear with my homemade rack. The rear is enclosed and has two temperature controlled fans. Like I mentioned, I've seen it hit 110 degrees F just above the receiver and haven't had any shutdown issues.

My fan arrangement is also homebrew, just a couple of 80mm (?) 12V fans connected to a 12V wall wart power supply I had laying around with a home made temp controller. Here's what it looks like:

I tried to pick some quiet fans. You can hear these if the receiver is turned way down, but at any reasonable volume level, they're unnoticeable.
post #729 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the 1800 have problems with popping and out dropouts when using HBR audio and TrueHD or DTS-HD MA?

post #730 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Has anyone "gone deep" into the 1800/3800's remote control?

I guess I'm a little confused because the manual appears to lump "CBL" and "TV" together and then goes into some gobbledygook about programming the PHONO part of the remote. (Huh?) On the surface, there doesn't appear to be a way to separate the TV from a STB. The remote appears to treat the TV as a "special case" with the slide switch, yet there doesn't seem to be a separate area to program the TV type (I have the TV programmed into the "CBL/TV" slot).

I've got it all working except for the STB, which is almost the most important part for normal use, and would like to reduce the remote control count. Gotta be missing some fundamental concept here -- anyone have a clue?
post #731 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Try the Cooler Guys. I have one of their super quiet fans and the only way you can tell its on is to look at it and see the blades turning. http://coolerguys.com/index.html

----Cheers---
Jules
post #732 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 02:59 PM

I have a new set up which includes an 1800 and a 46lx177. I have a bb gift card and am wondering about buying a upconverting dvd player because I am hesitant to buy and HDDVD or BD. Should I purchase a good upconverting dvd player or just hook up my old dvd player and run it through the 1800 and let it do the upconverting?
post #733 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

Has anyone "gone deep" into the 1800/3800's remote control?

I guess I'm a little confused because the manual appears to lump "CBL" and "TV" together and then goes into some gobbledygook about programming the PHONO part of the remote. (Huh?) On the surface, there doesn't appear to be a way to separate the TV from a STB. The remote appears to treat the TV as a "special case" with the slide switch, yet there doesn't seem to be a separate area to program the TV type (I have the TV programmed into the "CBL/TV" slot).

I've got it all working except for the STB, which is almost the most important part for normal use, and would like to reduce the remote control count. Gotta be missing some fundamental concept here -- anyone have a clue?

This is confusing, but I did get it to work. I programmed the TV using the Phono input and then the DTV/CBL as my Motorola DVR. It works quite well actually once you understand how the remote handles the different components. I also had the remote learn a number of codes from my other remotes. I have a Harmony universal, but I'm trying to make a go with the 1800 remote so that I'll have easy access to all of the 1800's features.
post #734 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just want to add that my 2 12v fans run off a 9v cell phone charger for even quieter operation, and are tied together lying on rubber bumpers at the corners, sitting directly over the left side back corner vent holes, right on top of the transformer, the hottest part of the RX-V3800. This way at the end of a DTSMA-HD movie the unit is barely warm. BTW i only use it as a pre/pro.

My system:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #735 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

Only the RX-Z9 and the RX-Z11 have the additional dedicated power amp sections for the presence channels.
Yamaha's other lower cost AVR's below them do not, and that is why they can not run a full 7.1 setup and the presence channels all at the same time.
post #736 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 06:41 PM

I just received by 1800 unit from 6ave.com.

I connected all the speaker wires and tried powering on. On first power on, it made a "buzz" noise and nothing happened. I then plugged the unit into another outlet and when I first tried powering on, i saw a bright spark!

I quickly unplugged and then replugged after 30 seconds.

When I turn on the unit now, it power off after 10 seconds of powering on.

Do I have a defective unit?
post #737 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo99uoft View Post

I connected all the speaker wires and tried powering on. On first power on, it made a "buzz" noise and nothing happened. I then plugged the unit into another outlet and when I first tried powering on, i saw a bright spark!

Sure sounds like it. Received my 1800 for Christmas and saw nothing like that.
post #738 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Jpco, do you mind telling me where you purchased your unit from?
post #739 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesfriedman View Post

Try the Cooler Guys. I have one of their super quiet fans and the only way you can tell its on is to look at it and see the blades turning. http://coolerguys.com/index.html

Thanks for the link, I probably will go with this:

http://coolerguys.com/comcool.html

I will let you guys know how it turned out once I get them and install the fans.
post #740 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Something's being shorted. I suggest disconnecting all the speakers and then powering on your unit to see if it remains on. Then, switch off and add one speaker at a time and switch on until you isolate the problem.

Also check that your speaker cables aren't damaged, and there's no short at the speakers themselves.
post #741 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jpco, do you mind telling me where you purchased your unit from?

The local Best Buy Magnolia.
post #742 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoxx4 View Post

Hi.

I have just got a 3800 for Xmas and have discovered a couple weird things i would like to know if they are normal or not.

First when i switch the unit on from standby i get a pop sound out of the left surround speaker ?

Second ( and this one will freak you out when it happens to you ) when i switch the unit on and off again quickly and wait about 15 to 20 seconds there is a crazy frequency sweep through all speakers ??? Dose anyone else get this ?

I am using the pre outs into an expensive 5 channel power amp and it worries me that it might damage my power amp ? Already i have a problem with its left surround channel emitting a static crackling sound i never had before. Could it be something the Yamaha has done ?

Dose anyone have an answer regarding these issues or can say if there unit dose the same or not ?

Thanks.
post #743 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Doesn't sound right to me. If you're sure that no speaker wires are shorting out, then I'd say you have a DOA unit.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #744 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM

I pulled out all the speaker wires and its still shutting down by itself
post #745 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:

I pulled out all the speaker wires and its still shutting down by itself

You've got a defective unit. Don't do anything but exchange it.
post #746 of 8664 Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on the 9.1 options. I run out board amps on all the channels from the 1800 anyway and would like to run another for the prensence as well.
I think the additonal feed idea from Duden is great. It reminds me a little of the way some people derived a "DIY" 7.1 from 5.1 systems and is a throw-back to the Halfer Effect(simple explaination for those interested see: http://www.aeolian.co.uk/acoustics/d...s/10intro.htm) This option also made me think of another option whereby an additional feed from the centre outboard amp to another outboard amp driving seakers in the "presence" locations. They could be turned off during inital system setup YAO/Manual) then balanced manually after that. It wouldn't be the same as the full system setup but could "lift" the centre channel location espically with a large screen if required. I still think it would've benn nice to allow the unit to output 9.1 even if only using the pre's.

FYI ~ the unit does not like unsual speaker loads (like my electrostatics which is not suprising). If you are using anything a little non-standard try the 6 Ohms speaker impedance setting and then try recalibrating.
Thanks,
Matthew O'Sullivan

Happiness is a big screen & a Newfoundland to watch movies with.
post #747 of 8664 Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 AM

Followed John's advice on the "not getting output from the rear's" issue previously amd find with SD DD source although the system only lights up 5.1 it is outputting 7.1 using the rears when set to IIx Movie setting as John suggested.
Maybe it will only light up the back 2 if the presence fronts are activated or something?
Thanks

post #748 of 8664 Old 12-29-2007, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To get the the back 2 to light up you need 7.1 source like RFOM from the PS3.

post #749 of 8664 Old 12-29-2007, 02:41 AM

right ~ but it does seem to play in 7 channels even though they don't all light up. I wonder if that's the case when the presence speakers are used sometimes as well....
thanks jsil

post #750 of 8664 Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

To get the the back 2 to light up you need 7.1 source like RFOM from the PS3.

Correct. We watched a movie about a week ago on my XA2 which was 7.1 source; speaker indicators all lit up.
But 7.1 source films are very scarce, most are 5.1 so you'll only see the 5.1 speaker indicators light up on the receiver's display.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page