The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Member
 
rodhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

I'm actually thinking the limit is 6 A/V devices on the 1800/3800. The reason for my thinking this is that there are only 6 A/V selections on the input selector (front panel knob or remote control). There are an additional 4 audio-only devices and then 4 more "special purpose" devices (XM, tuner, etc.).

In theory, you could connect 7 A/V inputs, but you would would be constantly remapping the inputs (not hard to do, but it'd be a pain if you had to do it all the time).

Maybe someone else has a different take on this (hope so!). It seems really odd that Yamaha would provide the front-end capability for 7 devices and then limit the selector to 6.

It's likely possible to piggyback more devices using the S-Video/composite inputs, though. I haven't tried this, and these inputs are not remappable. But, you could conceivably wire a device into the DVD input (input "I") using S-Video and stereo composite audio and still have the "I" input mapped to HDMI, for instance. In this case, the unit should revert to the S-Video and composite audio if the HDMI device is turned off. Just a guess, though.

I wonder if the Denon handles things differently.

Anyone got a better take on this? (Just curious at this point.)

The 3800 allows you to physically connect 7 high-definition A/V sources using the 4 HDMI and 3 component connections. Which of these physical connections is selected as input is user-mappable on to the A/V input selectors. Each A/V selector may be mapped to 1 HDMI input, 1 component input, or 1 HDMI input and 1 component input. When two physical connections are mapped to the same A/V selector, the HDMI connection takes priority. If the HDMI source is off, the source connected by component becomes the input.

For example I have things set up as follows:

BD/HD DVD --> HDMI-1: BluRay player, Component-A Satellite Box2
DVD --> HDMI-2: HD-DVD player
DTV/CBL --> HDMI-3: Satellite Box1
DVR --> HDMI-4: AppleTV

Then when I select BD/HD DVD input, if the BluRay player is on, it becomes the input. If it is off, Satellite Box2 is the input. No further remapping is necessary, just keep the inputs you don't want selected, OFF.

The S-Video and composite inputs are not remappable.

Because the input selectors can be remapped and renamed quite freely, there doesn't need to be a strict association between A/V type input selectors on the remote and the physical sources.

Hope that's clear.
rodhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
 
iknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

I went here and found a bunch of Yamaha receivers, but no 3800

When you go to www.6ave.com and select Yamaha recievers, the RXV3800 is on the second page. In fact is is listed as RXV3800BL. It is listed just beneath the 1800 model.

I just tried it and I am able to see that. Also when I applied the coupon code AFLYAM1098, the price gets reduced to $1098.

Hope you can shop this product. If you live in NJ/NYC area, you can go to one of their stores and ask for this price and you will be able to get that.
iknown is offline  
post #813 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Member
 
austinlvfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am probably going to get a RX-V1800. I am considering a Pioneer VSX-92TXH. Any reasons why I should definitely go with the Yamaha. I am learning toward the yamaha because my wife prefers it (and I usually have to give her what she wants
austinlvfr is offline  
post #814 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Member
 
TAdams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Minooka, IL
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well reading through the thread, and trying things, I am now throughly confused about the audio portion of Blu-Ray. Just got the Panny BD30, and Yamaha RX-V3800. Moved up from the Denon AVR-3300. I have the audio settings on the BD30 set to bitstream for all options and the secondary audio shut off. I popped in Casino Royal and chose the PCM umcompressed 5.1. I have the five speakers and sub. All that will come up on the 3800 is Dolby PL, when I cycle through the audio options on the 3800 remote all I get is Dolby Pro Logic in it various modes like music, hall, etc. My display also only shows the front L,R icons lit, yet I am getting sound from all the speakers, but not at the levels they seem like they should be at. No matter what I try I can't get all the speaker icons to light up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I consider myself pretty home theater savy, having been into it since the early 1990's. Remember Laser Discs!! This stuff now is getting confusing as hell. I can't image what JSP thinks when they try to hook this stuff up.

Forgot to add that I am using the componet video out to the 3800, and optical audio to the 3800.

"I love the smell of racing gas in the morning."
www.timadamsphotography.com
TAdams is offline  
post #815 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Bobington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the 3800 today and I gotta say it gets really hot.

1. I've got it set up with the Tivo -> Receiver -> Stereo+TV using HDMI and I don't think I've been able to get the Video Conversion to work. The resolution seems to keep switching.

2. I'm having a vigorous argument over what kind of speakers to get and I'm wondering if you can use different types of speakers without seriously damaging the quality of sound. Can I have big speakers up front, cube speakers as LR surround and cabinet speakers as rear LR?

3. What's the recommended player for getting DTS and TrueHD output. I've heard the PS3 won't support these yet. Does it even matter?
Bobington is offline  
post #816 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ikn....

That coupon works. Huge discount. What's it from?

Jim

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #817 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Member
 
postnobills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknown View Post

When you go to www.6ave.com and select Yamaha recievers, the RXV3800 is on the second page. In fact is is listed as RXV3800BL. It is listed just beneath the 1800 model.

I just tried it and I am able to see that. Also when I applied the coupon code AFLYAM1098, the price gets reduced to $1098.

Hope you can shop this product. If you live in NJ/NYC area, you can go to one of their stores and ask for this price and you will be able to get that.

Anyone had success getting one at this discounted price? No-one (local or online) seems willing to price-match 6Ave and this coupon price despite the fact that 6Ave is an authorized dealer. This price seems almost too good to believe!
postnobills is offline  
post #818 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by postnobills View Post

Anyone had success getting one at this discounted price? No-one (local or online) seems willing to price-match 6Ave and this coupon price despite the fact that 6Ave is an authorized dealer. This price seems almost too good to believe!

I was able to get a very reputable local electronics store to go $20 lower than 6ave's deal with their coupon. I convinced them that if I ordered through 6ave I would not have to pay sales tax. Before getting that price I was going to spend $800 on the 1800. I love this 3800! Played some nice streaming Irish music entertaining for New Years this evening.. It sounded Awesome!
kpdillon is offline  
post #819 of 8663 Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Member
 
HD-FANATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, you can include me in the bunch that ordered the Yammy 3800 from 6th ave. Read reviews about the online retailer and checked to see if they were an authorized Yamaha dealer..indeed they are. Finally pulled the trigger today after much thought. Should recieve the unit this Fri, and to join the ranks of others.
HD-FANATIC is offline  
post #820 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Member
 
rodhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdams View Post

Well reading through the thread, and trying things, I am now throughly confused about the audio portion of Blu-Ray. Just got the Panny BD30, and Yamaha RX-V3800. Moved up from the Denon AVR-3300. I have the audio settings on the BD30 set to bitstream for all options and the secondary audio shut off. I popped in Casino Royal and chose the PCM umcompressed 5.1. I have the five speakers and sub. All that will come up on the 3800 is Dolby PL, when I cycle through the audio options on the 3800 remote all I get is Dolby Pro Logic in it various modes like music, hall, etc. My display also only shows the front L,R icons lit, yet I am getting sound from all the speakers, but not at the levels they seem like they should be at. No matter what I try I can't get all the speaker icons to light up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I consider myself pretty home theater savy, having been into it since the early 1990's. Remember Laser Discs!! This stuff now is getting confusing as hell. I can't image what JSP thinks when they try to hook this stuff up.

Forgot to add that I am using the componet video out to the 3800, and optical audio to the 3800.

The optical audio connection won't give you anything beyond Dolby Digital. You need to string an HDMI cable between your DMP-BD30 and the 3800, and another HDMI cable between 3800 and your display. If your display takes only component then I'm afraid you're out of luck, since the 3800 cannot down-convert video from HDMI to component (see page 22 of the manual).
rodhead is offline  
post #821 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Member
 
christop43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-FANATIC View Post

Yep, you can include me in the bunch that ordered the Yammy 3800 from 6th ave. Read reviews about the online retailer and checked to see if they were an authorized Yamaha dealer..indeed they are. Finally pulled the trigger today after much thought. Should recieve the unit this Fri, and to join the ranks of others.

Add me to the list too. The price was too good to pass up! Hopefully it will arrive soon. My setup went from

Reciever-Sony STR-DE885
T.V.- Toshiba tube tv
DVD Player- KLH Costco special
Speakers- Mix of cheap speakers

To
Reciever- Yamaha RX-V3800
T.V.- Panasonic TH-42PZ700U Plasma
DVD Player- Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray
Speakers- Aperion 5.1 setup

Still waiting for the reciever and speakers to show up, but so far I am loving it. I have never owned a Yamaha reciever before, but it should be a big step up from my old setup. I plan on asking a few questions once I get everything setup
christop43 is offline  
post #822 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 AM
 
iknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

ikn....

That coupon works. Huge discount. What's it from?

Jim

They put this ad in one of the web sites ( I think it was in deal2buy.com) or some other New Year discount sites. Even if you didn't use this coupon code, you can order it though their phone numbers and they will give it for the same price ($1098). Or you can walk into one of the 6AVE stores in NYC/NJ area and buy it (you need to pay taxes in that case).
iknown is offline  
post #823 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Loving the 3800. When listening to talk radio or even talk on TV and have the sound set to music enhancer, the voices almost sound kind of robotic. I'm sure music enhancer is not meant for tv/radio voices but I'm still learning this thing... Was wondering if anyone else has heard the same on their 1800/3800 or if this is to be expected. Should Music enhancer only be used for CD's?
kpdillon is offline  
post #824 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 AM
 
iknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdams View Post

I popped in Casino Royal and chose the PCM umcompressed 5.1. I have the five speakers and sub. All that will come up on the 3800 is Dolby PL, when I cycle through the audio options on the 3800 remote all I get is Dolby Pro Logic in it various modes like music, hall, etc. My display also only shows the front L,R icons lit, yet I am getting sound from all the speakers, but not at the levels they seem like they should be at. No matter what I try I can't get all the speaker icons to light up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I consider myself pretty home theater savy, having been into it since the early 1990's. Remember Laser Discs!! This stuff now is getting confusing as hell. I can't image what JSP thinks when they try to hook this stuff up.

Forgot to add that I am using the componet video out to the 3800, and optical audio to the 3800.

I am using RX-V3800 with a sony regular DVD player (it is just 480P only). I connected it using component video and digitial coaxial to the receiver and a single HDMI output to my 1080P TV. I also have the HD cable box which outputs 1080i through the component video and optical audio cables. They are also connected to the receiver.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup and I am able to see the 5+1 icons lit up. Earlier when I connected the DVD player, I didn't change the settings on the DVD player and it was showing only Front, L,R icons only.

Just a question: What volume level in which you guys run the system usually?
iknown is offline  
post #825 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toby10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

Loving the 3800. When listening to talk radio or even talk on TV and have the sound set to music enhancer, the voices almost sound kind of robotic. I'm sure music enhancer is not meant for tv/radio voices but I'm still learning this thing... Was wondering if anyone else has heard the same on their 1800/3800 or if this is to be expected. Should Music enhancer only be used for CD's?

Music Enhancer is really meant for compressed music (mp3, wma, etc...) and I use it often for Internet Radio streaming. In most cases it deffinately adds some more detail and depth to compressed audio. It can be used on most any audio input source, but beyond compressed music it seems to me to give an "over processed" audio quality.
toby10 is online now  
post #826 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks toby10, appreciate the info... One more question for 3800/1800 owners... Wondering what reasons you picked the 3800/1800 over the Denon 3808... Was it mostly for sound reasons, reputation, reliability? I picked the 3800 b/c it seemed to be a good match for my speakers (Orb Audio). Reading some of the functionality offered by the Denon 3808 seems to make it a good competitor to the Yamaha 3800/1800.
kpdillon is offline  
post #827 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Arpeggi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where did you guys get the 1800 for $800?
Arpeggi is offline  
post #828 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
tatanka01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhead View Post

The 3800 allows you to physically connect 7 high-definition A/V sources using the 4 HDMI and 3 component connections. Which of these physical connections is selected as input is user-mappable on to the A/V input selectors. Each A/V selector may be mapped to 1 HDMI input, 1 component input, or 1 HDMI input and 1 component input. When two physical connections are mapped to the same A/V selector, the HDMI connection takes priority. If the HDMI source is off, the source connected by component becomes the input.

For example I have things set up as follows:

BD/HD DVD --> HDMI-1: BluRay player, Component-A Satellite Box2
DVD --> HDMI-2: HD-DVD player
DTV/CBL --> HDMI-3: Satellite Box1
DVR --> HDMI-4: AppleTV

Then when I select BD/HD DVD input, if the BluRay player is on, it becomes the input. If it is off, Satellite Box2 is the input. No further remapping is necessary, just keep the inputs you don't want selected, OFF.

The S-Video and composite inputs are not remappable.

Because the input selectors can be remapped and renamed quite freely, there doesn't need to be a strict association between A/V type input selectors on the remote and the physical sources.

Hope that's clear.

Gotcha... So, by minding which components are turned on (and a little mapping), you can use all 7 HDMI/Component inputs.

Taking it a step further, it looks like one could still add three more video sources (though not HD) with digital audio and two more with stereo audio. For instance, using your example for BD/HD DVD, you have a BluRay player connected via HDMI and a satellite box connected via Component-A (and I'll assume the sat box's audio is coaxial). One could then also connect a SD DVD player to the S-Video and optical BD/HD DVD inputs for a total of three devices on the BD/HD DVD selector. The same could be done with the DVD and DTV/CBL inputs before running out of optical audio inputs.

So, this would bring the grand total to this:

HD inputs: 7 (4 HDMI, 3 Component)
SD inputs with digital or stereo audio: 3 (S or Composite video)
SD inputs with stereo (composite) audio: 2 (S or Composite video)
Composite-only audio (no video): 4
tatanka01 is offline  
post #829 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Member
 
bdstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a very reputable place to price match 6ave on the 1800. Although the coupon code doesn't work on the 1800, call them, ask for their best price and it should be about $380 off the 1800. PM me if you want the name of the place that matched them and the final price. All of these people do much lower prices on the phone
bdstuart is offline  
post #830 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
OldCodger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhead View Post

The 3800 allows you to physically connect 7 high-definition A/V sources using the 4 HDMI and 3 component connections. Which of these physical connections is selected as input is user-mappable on to the A/V input selectors. Each A/V selector may be mapped to 1 HDMI input, 1 component input, or 1 HDMI input and 1 component input. When two physical connections are mapped to the same A/V selector, the HDMI connection takes priority. If the HDMI source is off, the source connected by component becomes the input.

For example I have things set up as follows:

BD/HD DVD --> HDMI-1: BluRay player, Component-A Satellite Box2
DVD --> HDMI-2: HD-DVD player
DTV/CBL --> HDMI-3: Satellite Box1
DVR --> HDMI-4: AppleTV

Then when I select BD/HD DVD input, if the BluRay player is on, it becomes the input. If it is off, Satellite Box2 is the input. No further remapping is necessary, just keep the inputs you don't want selected, OFF.

The S-Video and composite inputs are not remappable.

Because the input selectors can be remapped and renamed quite freely, there doesn't need to be a strict association between A/V type input selectors on the remote and the physical sources.

Hope that's clear.

I wish this had been posted before I set up my 1800. The answer I received in the "Anticipation" thread left a lot to be desired. Thanks Rod.

Just to be clear, I can connect my upscaling DVD player to the DVD HDMI input and a LD, which outputs only SVideo, to the DVD SVideo input and the optical, analog and the coax from the RF converter hooked to the LD player to the respective DVD inputs on the 1800. Using a Harmony remote the DVD and LD activity will turn on the correct components. If the DVD player is on the picture and sound will be outputted through HDMI, while with the LD the receiver will go through its hierarchy and pick the SVideo and the appropriate sound output.

A different question, how well does the 1800 handle DVI --> HDMI? Any handshake problems? My previous receiver had no HDMI so I ran the DVI from the set top box to one of the HDMI inputs on the plasma and left it that way when I got the 1800.
OldCodger73 is offline  
post #831 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
DVI is just HDMI without sound.

To illustrate i have a 25 ft. HDMI-DVI cable from the dawn of digital TV i used to connect my PLV-Z3 to a Gefen splitter.

Now i had to buy a DVI-HDMI adapter to plug it into my 3800 with HC5000 at other end. Works like a charm.
bobpaule is offline  
post #832 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think it's possible to upscale a Wii to 1080p with the 3800 as suggested with a sony AVR here? Would the Denon 3808 be able to do this?

http://forums.lovingwii.com/latest-n...wii-1080p.html
kpdillon is offline  
post #833 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
SAVholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Porta del Sol, PR
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

One more question for 3800/1800 owners... Wondering what reasons you picked the 3800/1800 over the Denon 3808... Was it mostly for sound reasons, reputation, reliability?.

I personally pick the RX-V1800 for every single reason you just mention

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

SAVholic is offline  
post #834 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Member
 
bdstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep me too -- RX-V1800 for sound quality, reputation, reliability. It wasn't worth $300 for the network capabilities of the RX-V3800. I've got a RX-V2092 that has lasted 10+ years...Yamaha builds a quality receiver
bdstuart is offline  
post #835 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Bobington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

Do you think it's possible to upscale a Wii to 1080p with the 3800 as suggested with a sony AVR here? Would the Denon 3808 be able to do this?

http://forums.lovingwii.com/latest-n...wii-1080p.html

I will hook up my Wii during the week. The short answer is yes.
Bobington is offline  
post #836 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Member
 
hagur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Reykjavik - Iceland
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree with the above two posters.

I'm very pleased with my RX-V1800. I've had it for about 3 months and absolutely no problems yet. I use it as a hub for all my A/V devices and just recently I started watching old VHS tapes which look better than I could have expected through the Yammy on my LCD TV.

I've also used the the front V-AUX connection for composite video and audio from a Sony hand-held camcorder and it looked surprisingly good when upscaled/converted to HDMI on my AX-100 projector.

I would recommend the RX-V1800 to anyone.
hagur is offline  
post #837 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Member
 
rodhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I wish this had been posted before I set up my 1800. The answer I received in the "Anticipation" thread left a lot to be desired. Thanks Rod.

Just to be clear, I can connect my upscaling DVD player to the DVD HDMI input and a LD, which outputs only SVideo, to the DVD SVideo input and the optical, analog and the coax from the RF converter hooked to the LD player to the respective DVD inputs on the 1800. Using a Harmony remote the DVD and LD activity will turn on the correct components. If the DVD player is on the picture and sound will be outputted through HDMI, while with the LD the receiver will go through its hierarchy and pick the SVideo and the appropriate sound output.

A different question, how well does the 1800 handle DVI --> HDMI? Any handshake problems? My previous receiver had no HDMI so I ran the DVI from the set top box to one of the HDMI inputs on the plasma and left it that way when I got the 1800.

Regarding audio/video connections - since BD/HD DVD, DVD, DTV/CBL, DVR and VCR have physical S-video+composite+analog audio inputs, one component and one HDMI source can be "stacked" above them. So your example will work as expected: Yamaha's DVD input selector mapped to upscaling DVD first, then the LD player.
rodhead is offline  
post #838 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Member
 
GB1099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow that 6th ave deal on the 3800 looks great...however I already ordered the 1800 on line and paid $820 plus 40 shipping and it will arrive tomorrow. I am upgrading from an old Yammy RV992 that served me well for the last 7 years.

I was considering the Onkyo to save some money, but after spending 5 hours on this site reading all these posts I decided to stay with Yamaha.

I use an external high current amp for the mains (Legacy audio Focus) with a BBE sonic maximizer in between for some added live punch.....sounds awesome IMO.

I also bought 2 DVD players Panny BD-30 and Tosh HD-A35.....and am still researching projectors (looking hard at the Sony V60 black pearl or Mits HC6000).

My only problem is that I am building a new house with a dedicated media room and it won't be ready for another couple months....so I'm going to quit visiting this place until then....or I might start stringing wire with duct tape all over my rental house living room.

If someone can provide me objective advice on these 2 projectors I'd appreciate it. In their respective forums all the owners rant and rave about each of them.
GB1099 is offline  
post #839 of 8663 Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Member
 
webmst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Snowy Mountains Australia
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanx for the Pm's & comments re Hugo the Newfoundland movie critic complete with dribble...

Still working on the pre out signals issue on the 1800.

Can I just add to the 1800/3800 value debate here:
The 1800 is a mid to low tier product and the feature set /picture and sound quality are very good indeed. Even if I find the pre outs are wrongly assigned I may still keep it. Consider how much more I'd pay for something I could actually discern as significantly acoustically better? It would need THX plus 7.1 plus all the new formats.... an extra $1,000? or $1,500.
smitty ~ for the sake of debate ~ would you say your new Pioneer unit has better sound performance for films or 2-channel audio compared to your previous Yahama by a wide or narrow margin?

For me it's simpler as I don't use the Yahama for visuals or power amplification. I only want it to decode all formats and so I could replace it with a preamp/ sound prosessor as I had previosly (eg Anthem, Proceed etc) but at how much more?
To me the 1800 may still be the best option for 12-18 months until the codec decoding and sound delivery units/processors/receivers market settles down.

Hugo loves action movies (espically with sauage rolls over the Xmas holidays)

Happiness is a big screen & a Newfoundland to watch movies with.
webmst is offline  
post #840 of 8663 Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Member
 
bawaavsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


from webmst--
Can I just add to the 1800/3800 value debate here:
smitty ~ for the sake of debate ~ would you say your new Pioneer unit has better sound performance for films or 2-channel audio compared to your previous Yahama by a wide or narrow margin?

Listened to a Jazz stereo track on the following with pure/direct(no DSP) but different speakers:
Onkyo 905: SQ very good,
Sony5300: SQ very poor,
Yamaha 3800: SQ impressive as anticipated,
Pioneer VSX94: SQ impressive, sounded better than 3800 in high frequency bands.
Could not try out 7.1.
Leaning towards Yamaha 3800 but Pioneer has forced me to pause and think!
bawaavsf is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off