The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 8660 Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

That's very interesting.  I wonder then where the stutter is coming from?  When I first went through the "all HDMI" process I had tried several different cables by several different manufacturers (even the Home Depot cheapos I had from a couple years back with my stand alone units...) and they all produced the same effect, but again only when passed through the receiver. 

I also tried swapping which HDMI input I used, there are 4 so who knows right?  They all produced the same effect.  As I stated earlier, I don't really notice it now, I think it's just kind of "settled" in with me.  If I ran the HDMI direct to the TV as it was for years before, for about a week, then swapped back through the receiver, I would be curious to see if I noticed the difference again.  I suspect I should have someone else observe for me, as I would "expect" to see the difference and therefore my conscious would automatically see it as truth.  If I had someone come in and not tell them anything about what to look for, just have them watch a movie for 15 minutes through the TV, then the same 15 minutes again through the receiver, ask them if they saw a difference, it would be more of a level playing field. 

It's kind of like having two of the same top quality HDMI cables, but one with no markings, looking like a generic.  You plug the generic in and then the good quality cable in and people say "WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!"  when in fact they are both the same cable.  I love how the brain works.  :)

The TV is native 1920x1080.  I saw that mod a couple pages back in my research but I wanted to attempt at least the "factory" upgrade and "win" before I attempted to flash any modified firmware.  I always keep a back up of "stock" firmware just in case.  I had flashed my NVidia to over volt the card about a year ago and I fudged up the settings, ended up with over 2.2 volts to the card because I did not double check my coding, almost had a $420 brick....fortunately I had the stock firmware on the same USB stick so I was able to reboot real quick like and reverse that debacle.  :) 

One always needs a fail safe in this line of work.  I will definitely give that mod utility a look and see what's in store there.  Thank you for the depth of information and the quick replies, much appreciated! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8660 Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Curious how would I go about figuring out the reference level volume with the 1800
<--- newb:D

Receiver -Yamaha RX-V1800
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - orb super 8-->Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #8643 of 8660 Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post

Curious how would I go about figuring out the reference level volume with the 1800
<--- newb:D

When I owned the 1800 reference was when the volume bar was at half way in my room. I found this out by using a SPL meter.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8644 of 8660 Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

When I owned the 1800 reference was when the volume bar was at half way in my room. I found this out by using a SPL meter.

Did you do it with the test tone to check with the spl meter and adjust to 85dbs for each speaker? Just wondering how it works.

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #8645 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

The volume bar is way too imprecise to use for anything.
post #8646 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Adjust each speaker level so that the manual test tones measure 75dB on your SPL meter with the master volume at 0dB. The meter should be in slow, C-weighted mode. Note that you want 75dB, not 85, for Yamaha test tones.

When playing a movie you will then (theoretically) be listening at reference level when the master volume is at 0dB. However, you'll almost certainly find that too loud, and there's also quite a variation in the way movie sound tracks are mastered. Many are 5dB or more too hot, meaning that the master volume should only be at -5 (or less) to achieve reference level for that particular movie.
post #8647 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The volume bar is way too imprecise to use for anything.

Well at half way it reads 0 so that was what I was referring to.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8648 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It's just that you cad add or subtract a few dB and the volume bar still looks like it's halfway.

But I'm overly sensitive to that **** volume bar. I couldn't believe they replaced the volume number with the stupid bar, leaving only a tiny dB number that I couldn't read from a normal seating distance. Fixing that took quite a few weeks' of my time.
post #8649 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Adjust each speaker level so that the manual test tones measure 75dB on your SPL meter with the master volume at 0dB. The meter should be in slow, C-weighted mode. Note that you want 75dB, not 85, for Yamaha test tones.

When playing a movie you will then (theoretically) be listening at reference level when the master volume is at 0dB. However, you'll almost certainly find that too loud, and there's also quite a variation in the way movie sound tracks are mastered. Many are 5dB or more too hot, meaning that the master volume should only be at -5 (or less) to achieve reference level for that particular movie.
Thanks so put my receiver so it is reading volume 0db and then adjust with the meter

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #8650 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks so put my receiver so it is reading volume 0db and then adjust with the meter
Side note, my yamaha has never had an update. Still need to figure out how to do this. Bought it new when it came out and its been running strong. Have I been missing out?

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #8651 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, start test tones, set master volume to 0dB, adjust each speaker level until the meter reads 75db (with the meter at the main listening position).
post #8652 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Side note, my yamaha has never had an update. Still need to figure out how to do this. Bought it new when it came out and its been running strong. Have I been missing out?

There were a few bug fixes since the original firmware. From memory...
  • Fixed a decoding bug with some DTS-HD MA bitstreams that produced a loud bang with certain Blu-ray discs (the so-called "bitstream bomb" issue).
  • Removed the video clipping that prevented full range HDMI signals from passing through unmodified (video was clipped to the range 16-235).
  • Fixed a bass management bug in a 7.1 setup that threw away the bass below the crossover frequency for surround speakers set as small.

There's also some non-official firmware with all the above fixes plus a larger volume display on the front panel that's easier to read from a distance. You can also modify any firmware version and change text strings (add your own welcome message, for example). See this post.

Remember that when you update, everything is reset to factory defaults so you lose all your settings.
post #8653 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

There were a few bug fixes since the original firmware. From memory...
  • Fixed a decoding bug with some DTS-HD MA bitstreams that produced a loud bang with certain Blu-ray discs (the so-called "bitstream bomb" issue).
  • Removed the video clipping that prevented full range HDMI signals from passing through unmodified (video was clipped to the range 16-235).
  • Fixed a bass management bug in a 7.1 setup that threw away the bass below the crossover frequency for surround speakers set as small.

There's also some non-official firmware with all the above fixes plus a larger volume display on the front panel that's easier to read from a distance. You can also modify any firmware version and change text strings (add your own welcome message, for example). See this post.

Remember that when you update, everything is reset to factory defaults so you lose all your settings.
Thanks for being so helpful today! I have a Mac computer, is this alright to use to burn the disc and are there special settings that need to be in place before trying to do this. My fear is i will brick the system and not be able to use it.

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #8654 of 8660 Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

You can burn the disc on a Mac, but you have to be sure the burning software doesn't modify the data in any way. If the disc isn't burned correctly you won't permanently brick the receiver, but it might not be usable until you update from a correctly burned disc.
post #8655 of 8660 Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM

EUREKA!!! 

I have successfully updated my RX-V1800 firmware using my PC!!  I took an awful big risk, but sometimes in life one can sit around and wonder, or one can take a risk, until one takes a risk one will never know! 

I had been trying to use the output on my built in audio set to 44100 CD quality.  So, for the heck of it (while crossing fingers) I played the file through Winamp with the volume all the way up in Winamp and on my soundcard and found nothing was happening.  This we knew. 

SO, I started "upping" the quality of the sound out of my sound card until, at 24 bits, 44100 (Studio Quality), it read the header and performed the update entirely WITH SUCCESS!!!! 

Now, I am using an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard, that is, its built in audio.  I am certainly NOT going to say that every mother board is the same NOR will I say that this will work on yours. 

I can only say that I took a risk, and for me, the risk paid off. 

Cheers! 

post #8656 of 8660 Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

That's good to know. Having to select 24-bit is not very intuitive (the firmware file is 16-bit stereo) but I guess it means "up to 24 bits".

Which version did you update to? If you're feeling adventurous you can try customizing the front panel messages or the menus (FWmod).
post #8657 of 8660 Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 AM

I actually used your custom wav file that you posted some posts back.  The only thing I really wanted changed was the size and location of the dB indicator on the screen, and your update did just that! 

I had meant to ask but forgot, did your firmware update include the 1800's "latest" update with it?  Yes I can check the unit to see if all the numbers match up with the Yamaha update manual, which I have not yet done, but I just figured I would ask you. 

post #8658 of 8660 Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I started from the latest Yamaha official firmware so the custom firmare also has all the latest fixes.
post #8659 of 8660 Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Just got a V1800 in a package deal with speakers for $100 I can't get any sound at all but I can get video. Tried to use the mic but only get error code 10 any help or is it trash?
post #8660 of 8660 Old 05-24-2014, 12:34 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I haven't updated the firmware on my RX-V1800 since I purchased it more tha 5 years ago for fear of bricking the unit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page