The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8791 of 8805 Old 07-22-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for all your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8805 Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yamaha confirmed today that the trigger outs are indeed set to work for the main zone. Have ordered my 12v trigger switchbox!
post #8793 of 8805 Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question RXV-1800 / 3800 read data / receive data over rs232/serial question

Hi All,

I've been working with the RS-232/Serial port on my RXV1800 for the past couple days. There are a lot of threads on sending commands to it, which, I have successfully working (volume up, change input, etc). I even have a little web interface setup for changing the options, which are all working properly.

However, I have not found anything about reading, or receiving data from the receiver over rs232/serial.

What I would like to do is somehow tell what the receiver is spitting out. Ie: If i press volume UP, i want to know that the code I see over serial (######) is turning the volume up, to X from whatever the intial amount was.

I know that when I initially connect over RS232 (or send just a blank return/enter) a bunch of numbers are spit out all on one line, which I assume is a 'status' line, I'd somehow like to translate this so I have my base numbers to go from, and then I can make an app to display the data that is read back from the receiver.

I'm using Linux so I have a plethora of 'ways to do it', I am just not very familiar with RS232 working at all and this is all pretty new to me, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
post #8794 of 8805 Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 271
^ There is documentation out there for the RS-232 commands and the returned status info. Here's one for the V1900, but 99.9% will be the same for the V1800.

Look for the sections on Report Commands and Playback Status Reports.
post #8795 of 8805 Old 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ There is documentation out there for the RS-232 commands and the returned status info. Here's one for the V1900, but 99.9% will be the same for the V1800.

Look for the sections on Report Commands and Playback Status Reports.
Great thank you, not exactly sure what to do with this [yet] but it looks helpful and exactly what I was looking for

I do wonder if there's already a library or something made for *NIX that I could start with..
post #8796 of 8805 Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^ If you've got some commands working, then interpreting the feedback from the receiver is not very different. If you have a question about a specific command, you can always ask here.
post #8797 of 8805 Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
^ If you've got some commands working, then interpreting the feedback from the receiver is not very different. If you have a question about a specific command, you can always ask here.
Well, To start this is what I'd like to do;

1) Connect to the port
2) Issue a 'status' command on 'input' and 'volume'
3) Return the current volume, status, and possibly the 'sound mode' if applicable (or PCM if not)
4) when i press a button on remote to turn volume up, or down, or switch input, the app should show me that volume went up or down or input was changed.

I would need this to be on console some how, because i plan on making a daemon that will listen to the serial port, plus send commands to it, so i can hook up a remote device (a raspberry pi) for tinkering with this.

Main goal, is to get on the raspberry pi display (either console, web page, or xwindows) showing a realtime indication of the current input, sound mode, and volume level (and if i change anything, the screen updates in realtime).

thanks
post #8798 of 8805 Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I can send more details later, but basically...

2) To request the current volume or input, use the system commands such as "main volume value text request" (see page 9 of the doc. I linked).

3) See the bottom of page 15 for the format of the response for this type of request (it's already formatted as a text string).

4) When you change a setting (volume etc.) with the remote, the receiver sends an "operation report". See page 27 of the doc. for the format.
These are not sent as formatted text strings, so you have to interpret the value returned to get the volume in dB, the input selected, etc.

Note that when the doc. says (for example) a return value of C7 means 0dB, it's not a single byte with hex value C7, it's two bytes with the ASCII characters "C" and "7".
post #8799 of 8805 Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I can send more details later, but basically...
Okay, awesome thanks so much. I will muck around and post if i have any additional questions
post #8800 of 8805 Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 PM

Hi All,
Still a happy chappie with my V1800
Have recently added AppleTV via HDMI to the receiver and all good.
Just trying to figure the best way to listen to the Apple TV audio through headphones but I don't want to mute the audio by using the front input jack.
One hearing impaired member in the family needs the headphones only.
Notice the AppleTV has a digital output which I could put into the receiver but how do I get a RCA signal out of the receiver to a Sennheiser wireless headphone cradle?
I'm guessing I will need a DAC with RCA output between the AppleTV and the Sennheiser cradle?
Thanks
post #8801 of 8805 Old 09-02-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It should be possible to connect the cradle to zone 2 or zone 3, define the zone as non amplified in the menu (so it doesn't use any of the internal amps) and then take the signal out as an analogue signal from there. They have regular phono plugs.

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
post #8802 of 8805 Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
It should be possible to connect the cradle to zone 2 or zone 3, define the zone as non amplified in the menu (so it doesn't use any of the internal amps) and then take the signal out as an analogue signal from there. They have regular phono plugs.
Thanks I will try this over the weekend.
post #8803 of 8805 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Just had a look in the manual,page 111,digital inputs are not outputted by zone 2 and 3 on this receiver.
post #8804 of 8805 Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, since you're down under, mate (sorry about the stereotype, I couldn't resist...), you get orders pretty fast from China/Hong Kong, right? There are two possible solutions:

1. This thing, which takes analogue audio out of the HDMI signal. You put it at the receiver end and then use a short HDMI cable from the adapter to the receiver in addition to an analogue audio cable to the input you use for the zone. I use one myself for a special setup, and it works exactly as it should. The only problem is that it doesn't work with 3D (at least mine doesn't), but I don't know if the Apple box sends out 3D anyway.

2. This thing, which converts the optical output from the Apple box to an analogue signal. No messing with the HDMI at all.

Either of them should work.

Edit: Come to think of it you could probably connect that directly to the headset cradle and drop the receiver for that signal, but then you won't have the ability to use an IR remote to adjust volume, and you can't adjust bass and treble, which I know that the zone outputs do, I use that in my kitchen to give the sound an extra boost.

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses

Last edited by Mastiff; Today at 12:38 AM.
post #8805 of 8805 Unread Today, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Well, since you're down under, mate (sorry about the stereotype, I couldn't resist...), you get orders pretty fast from China/Hong Kong, right? There are two possible solutions:

1. This thing, which takes analogue audio out of the HDMI signal. You put it at the receiver end and then use a short HDMI cable from the adapter to the receiver in addition to an analogue audio cable to the input you use for the zone. I use one myself for a special setup, and it works exactly as it should. The only problem is that it doesn't work with 3D (at least mine doesn't), but I don't know if the Apple box sends out 3D anyway.

2. This thing, which converts the optical output from the Apple box to an analogue signal. No messing with the HDMI at all.

Either of them should work.

Edit: Come to think of it you could probably connect that directly to the headset cradle and drop the receiver for that signal, but then you won't have the ability to use an IR remote to adjust volume, and you can't adjust bass and treble, which I know that the zone outputs do, I use that in my kitchen to give the sound an extra boost.
Thanks bud.
Have ordered number 2 thing.
Deliveries from China are not as fast as one would think.Normally about 2 weeks on standard shipping.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page