The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 294  295  296
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 02:08 PM 02-05-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
what listening mode do people use the most when watching movies? I normally just leave it in dts master or truehd. Anyone use any of the movie surround modes?

I don't use the movie DSP modes, but I leave extended surround set to PLIIx, so that 5.1 movies get expanded to 7.1.

toby10's Avatar toby10 02:49 AM 02-06-2016
I also don't use any of the DSP's for movies or music. They all sound rather gimmicky to me. If bored it can be fun to scroll through them to hear the differences, but beyond that I just leave them alone. I just let the native Dolby and DTS do their job...... and they do it well!

I always find it odd that people want to mess with a professional audio engineers work. They are experts in audio, mixing & mastering on very expensive equipment, professionally tweaked and edited for just the right sound and timing, auditioned by the director of the movie...... and then someone with a basic HTIB system is going to second guess all that and choose some DSP that introduces a different "affect" into the audio.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 01:23 PM 02-06-2016
^ To be fair, some of the DSP modes are supposed to reproduce music as you would actually hear it live in specific venues (based on real measurements of the reverb etc.). But I still don't use them .
discobanger 10:01 AM 02-21-2016
Has anyone else have problems with Rxv-1800 and streaming Dolby digital plus with Netflix? Or anything else?

I have played with roku, Apple tv4, sony Blu Ray player and they all have lower volume when streaming Dolby digital plus. The dynamic sound is horrible. Sounds like it's compressed audio and explosion scenes lack big time.

I have 7.2 dedicated hometheater and this only happens with Dolby digital plus when streaming.

If I play Apple TV 3 and regular Dolby digital it's night and day difference.

Should I be upgrading my reciever? Or is this just how Dolby digital plus is? I have to really crank the volume.

Just would like to know before I go buy a new reciever.
jpco's Avatar jpco 10:20 AM 02-21-2016
I used it with DD+ and a Sony BD player and it sounded excellent. No problems like you describe. Based on my experience, I wouldn't think it's the receiver.
oOOBillO0o's Avatar oOOBillO0o 11:18 AM 02-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by discobanger View Post
Has anyone else have problems with Rxv-1800 and streaming Dolby digital plus with Netflix? Or anything else?

I have played with roku, Apple tv4, sony Blu Ray player and they all have lower volume when streaming Dolby digital plus. The dynamic sound is horrible. Sounds like it's compressed audio and explosion scenes lack big time.

I have 7.2 dedicated hometheater and this only happens with Dolby digital plus when streaming.

If I play Apple TV 3 and regular Dolby digital it's night and day difference.

Should I be upgrading my reciever? Or is this just how Dolby digital plus is? I have to really crank the volume.

Just would like to know before I go buy a new reciever.
I have to crank it too. Hmm..

RXV1800, AppleTV 4

I have not upgraded the RXV1800 firmware but have the latest (as of 21Feb16) tvOS.
discobanger 11:53 AM 02-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

RXV1800, AppleTV 4

I have not upgraded the RXV1800 firmware but have the latesr (as of 21Feb16) tvOS.

The last firmware update was years ago. I'm wondering if it's just our recievers or dd plus compatibility issues.
oOOBillO0o's Avatar oOOBillO0o 02:56 PM 02-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by discobanger View Post
The last firmware update was years ago. I'm wondering if it's just our recievers or dd plus compatibility issues.
Perhaps it is an issue on Dolby or Apple?

I have almost ten years of flawless service from the Yamaha RXV1800. The purpose of listing my version is so that others who have what I have can attempt to reproduce the issue we have.

I would not sell or buy another receiver. The AppleTV "supports" 1080p and 7.1 multichannel audio, well within the capability of the RXV1800.
discobanger 07:00 PM 02-21-2016
Quote:
Perhaps it is an issue on Dolby or Apple?

I have almost ten years of flawless service from the Yamaha RXV1800. The purpose of listing my version is so that others who have what I have can attempt to reproduce the issue we have.

I would not sell or buy another receiver. The AppleTV "supports" 1080p and 7.1 multichannel audio, well within the capability of the RXV1800.
Must be Dolby or Apple. I have the roku does the same thing.

Apple TV3 with plain Jane Dolby digital sounds amazing. Full dynamic range and volume level fine.

But the two devices with Dolby digital plus are horrible. Sound is like its compression and no dynamic range. Have to crank the volume.
discobanger 07:30 PM 02-24-2016
Quote:

RXV1800, AppleTV 4

I have not upgraded the RXV1800 firmware but have the latest (as of 21Feb16) tvOS.
Don't you find it strange we have to crank volume? This must be an apple problem. 9.2 software is out mid March for Apple TV. Let's hope it fixes this.
3db's Avatar 3db 10:29 AM 03-18-2016
I use "sport" DPS when watching hockey games. It does an awesome job simulating an arena .. Fir stereo streams when watching Netflix, I use Pro logic II
oOOBillO0o's Avatar oOOBillO0o 08:03 PM 03-18-2016
Any add on processors that could plug into the multichannel in? I'd be nice to not have to get a whole new AVR just for Atmost/DTSX/Auro3D.
AndyfromOz 08:10 PM 06-20-2016
Sorry, but my searches come up blank. To kriktsemaj99, did you ever do a firmware update for the 3800 that included the large volume display? All I can find is the one for the 1800. I would have PM'd you, but I don't have enough posts as yet. Thanks in advance.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 05:01 AM 06-22-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromOz View Post
Sorry, but my searches come up blank. To kriktsemaj99, did you ever do a firmware update for the 3800 that included the large volume display? All I can find is the one for the 1800. I would have PM'd you, but I don't have enough posts as yet. Thanks in advance.

Sorry but the 3800 firmware files use a totally different format from the 1800, and I only had an 1800. So there's no large volume firmware for the 3800.
AndyfromOz 06:12 AM 06-22-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Sorry but the 3800 firmware files use a totally different format from the 1800, and I only had an 1800. So there's no large volume firmware for the 3800.
Bugger!! Thanks for the reply. Cheers.
Tags: Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
First ... 294  295  296

Up