The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 Thread
ErnieW's Avatar ErnieW 06:27 PM 11-19-2007
Karpis...
Two Possibilities:
1. If I understand correctly, it's best to have the same type of connection to the TV to use your receiver as a switch, i.e. multi-component in -> component to TV; multi-HDMI in -> HDMI to TV.

That's why the component connection to the TV looked 'peachy'.

But I believe from the Yamaha literature that the receiver DOES upscale to 720p, so this is probably not the cause.

2. More likely, even though the native resolution of your TV is 1024x768, it will designed to do an excellent job of taking 1080i inputs and downconverting them to 1024x768. So I'd recommend setting your xboxes to output 1080i.

Otherwise, and I could be wrong here, when you send your TV 720p, I believe it downconverts to 480p and then upconverts to 1080i, and then downconverts again to the native pixel resolution of 1024x768. A long string of processing resulting in a less-than-optimum picture.

--Ernie

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 06:59 PM 11-19-2007
For you guys with the 3800, how are you finding lip synch with the advanced audio codecs like Dolby True HD. I know the Yamaha has an auto lip synch as well as a manual adjustment. Are these on a per input basis or is this universal?
MarkH's Avatar MarkH 09:22 PM 11-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

For you guys with the 3800, how are you finding lip synch with the advanced audio codecs like Dolby True HD. I know the Yamaha has an auto lip synch as well as a manual adjustment. Are these on a per input basis or is this universal?

I get lip-sync issues every once and awhile with my HD-A1, but its so inconsistent that theres no real point in me adjusting the lip-sync on the Yamaha - besides a simple stoip and restart of the movie generally fixes it.
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd 10:30 PM 11-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I'm using the AUTO lip sync on the 1800 - so far so good (and I am very sensitive to sync issues). My understanding is that all devices in the chain (including the source, receiver and display) must be HDMI 1.3 compliant AND implement the feature - seems to work even though my pj is not 1.3. It is not on a per input basis. However you can easily program saved memories (I think there are 4 on the remote plus 2 hidden you can get discrete codes for) and have your remote pull up the right present per input (via a macro) and just set your lipsync options in difference scenes accordingly.
Karpis's Avatar Karpis 01:37 AM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieW View Post

Two Possibilities:
1. If I understand correctly, it's best to have the same type of connection to the TV to use your receiver as a switch, i.e. multi-component in -> component to TV; multi-HDMI in -> HDMI to TV.

That's why the component connection to the TV looked 'peachy'.

But I believe from the Yamaha literature that the receiver DOES upscale to 720p, so this is probably not the cause.

2. More likely, even though the native resolution of your TV is 1024x768, it will designed to do an excellent job of taking 1080i inputs and downconverting them to 1024x768. So I'd recommend setting your xboxes to output 1080i.

Otherwise, and I could be wrong here, when you send your TV 720p, I believe it downconverts to 480p and then upconverts to 1080i, and then downconverts again to the native pixel resolution of 1024x768. A long string of processing resulting in a less-than-optimum picture.

Thanks for the input, Ernie. Although I don't think the TV is a problem. It's a Panasonic PV500 and has excellent input handling. And any source that I've plugged in, be it component or HDMI, has always looked excellent in 720p. To me it looks like the Yamaha has some serious problems converting a component signal to HDMI in 720p. I'll borrow a friends RX-V1700 in a few days and test the same there. They both have the same chip doing the video conversion, so the result should in theory be the same unless there's something wrong with my unit.
pisacksen's Avatar pisacksen 08:17 AM 11-20-2007
It's working!

Thanks to all for your assistance. All your input is sincerly appreciated.
mikedj's Avatar mikedj 10:27 AM 11-20-2007
Early in this thread there was an issue on passing audio from a Toshiba A35 HD DVD player. Has anyone else ran into that problem? Has Toshiba or Yammy verified it? Are firmware releases going to fix it?

3800 is on the way, almost ready to pull trigger on the A35. But don't want the A35 if I've got to go PCM.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 11:58 AM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I'm using the AUTO lip sync on the 1800 - so far so good (and I am very sensitive to sync issues). My understanding is that all devices in the chain (including the source, receiver and display) must be HDMI 1.3 compliant AND implement the feature - seems to work even though my pj is not 1.3. It is not on a per input basis. However you can easily program saved memories (I think there are 4 on the remote plus 2 hidden you can get discrete codes for) and have your remote pull up the right present per input (via a macro) and just set your lipsync options in difference scenes accordingly.

Thanks, good info on the memory presets.
smitty's Avatar smitty 12:08 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedj View Post

Early in this thread there was an issue on passing audio from a Toshiba A35 HD DVD player. Has anyone else ran into that problem? Has Toshiba or Yammy verified it? Are firmware releases going to fix it?

What was the issue? Otherwise, we all have to go back and re-read the thread and figure out what you're asking about.
mikedj's Avatar mikedj 03:10 PM 11-20-2007
Reply #113 is below.(No clue how to direct link it)

I'm not sure to buy the XA2 while a few are left, do the firmware upgrade, get the Reon. Or buy the A35? If the A35 has issues like the poster below states, then the XA2 is the easy decision.

I've had no success with the a35 (tried 2 of them, with numerous disks) - nothing but PCM on the 3800 display. Latest firmware and all required settings on the player to pass HBR. Calls to both Toshiba and Yamaha support yielded nothing (both say it should work but neither could verify compatiblity).

Using the same HDMI cable a BD-P1400 plugged in lights the RX up with TrueHD, DD+.

Ho
smitty's Avatar smitty 04:15 PM 11-20-2007
I have an A35 and played a Dolby TrueHD disc on the player and it showed up as such on the front panel of the 1800. I do note, however, that with the disc I was using, and with two different receivers (the 1800 and the Pioneer Elite 92), I had to select TrueHD as soon as the menu was available. If I waited a little bit or allowed the movie to start, then even though the disc showed I selected TrueHD, it was giving me PCM or Dolby Digital, I forget which.

I don't think this is an issue with the Yamaha receivers (since it happened on the Pioneer Elite as well). I think it's an issue with the disc, or maybe with the A35. But I think every DVD player/receiver combo has some glitches, and for me the A35 thus far has worked well with every receiver I've paired it with, including the Yamaha 1800.
pauly711's Avatar pauly711 10:00 PM 11-20-2007
I just got my 3800 delivered today and started setting it up and ran into a little problem. Sorry if this has been asked already but I looked through this thread and did not see it.

I have a HDTV althought the HDMI input on the tv took a dive on me 2 weeks ago so I have to use component and optical digital- no biggie. I also have a D* HD HR10-250 and in the 3800 manual it shows how to hook up the video several different ways from the sat box to the receiver but I am not seeing the correct route to plug in the optical audio to the tv.

There is an input for the DTV/cable but what about the output to the TV? There are only 2 outputs from the receiver to CD-R and midi/tape. Can I use one of these? It does not seem so. I would hate to have to plug in the good ol' analog right/left RCA plugs

Also, I saw several people mention "pass-thru" and conversion. Does this mean that the receiver allows the signal from the sat box to pass thru it to the tv w/o the receiver being on?
I know this seems like a simple question but this is the 1st receiver I have bought in almost 9 years, so I am a little rusty on all the tech lingo.

Thanks in advance for any help
Wazzey's Avatar Wazzey 10:43 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly711 View Post

I just got my 3800 delivered today and started setting it up and ran into a little problem. Sorry if this has been asked already but I looked through this thread and did not see it.

I have a HDTV althought the HDMI input on the tv took a dive on me 2 weeks ago so I have to use component and optical digital- no biggie. I also have a D* HD HR10-250 and in the 3800 manual it shows how to hook up the video several different ways from the sat box to the receiver but I am not seeing the correct route to plug in the optical audio to the tv.

There is an input for the DTV/cable but what about the output to the TV? There are only 2 outputs from the receiver to CD-R and midi/tape. Can I use one of these? It does not seem so. I would hate to have to plug in the good ol' analog right/left RCA plugs

Also, I saw several people mention "pass-thru" and conversion. Does this mean that the receiver allows the signal from the sat box to pass thru it to the tv w/o the receiver being on?
I know this seems like a simple question but this is the 1st receiver I have bought in almost 9 years, so I am a little rusty on all the tech lingo.

Thanks in advance for any help

First.. you don't need any optical sound going to the tv. All you need is the component from the sat to the receiver then the component out to the TV. That should be your only connection to the tv. Then the Satalite optical should be going directly to the DTV/cable optical in, in the back of the 3800. When you put your input on DTV/CBL then you will get a picture on your tv with sound coming out of your speakers attached to the 3800.

Pass thru means that you can have the receiver just let the signal go straight to the tv with no upconversion to a different higher resolution. Ideally depending on the resolution of your tv... you would want your sattelite or cable upconverted to the resolution of your tv be it 720p 1080i or 1080p. You should be able to find the way to do this in your manual. If you upconvert it, then it should be a better picture for lower resolution stations.

You don't have this situation but if you go from any hdmi source to your recevier out to your tv then it has no choice but to pass through.. it won't upconvert the hdmi signals

Hope that helps
botzos's Avatar botzos 12:36 AM 11-21-2007
Hello all.

According to the RX-V 3800/1800 specs these do not support xvYCC (or xvColor). That means, according to my understanding, that if your source and projector support it then you will not be able to "see" this new format (supposing of course that you connect your Blue ray player or HD-DVD to your projector or TV through your AV). Please comment.
pauly711's Avatar pauly711 05:57 AM 11-21-2007
Mike-
Thanks for the info. That's kinda what I thought about the pass-thru or conversion.

Quote:

First.. you don't need any optical sound going to the tv. All you need is the component from the sat to the receiver then the component out to the TV. That should be your only connection to the tv. Then the Satalite optical should be going directly to the DTV/cable optical in, in the back of the 3800. When you put your input on DTV/CBL then you will get a picture on your tv with sound coming out of your speakers attached to the 3800.

The reason I asked about the optical to the tv is b/c often times my schedule differs from my wife's and she is in bed when I am still up and I do not want to turn on the stereo to watch the tv (WAF). When the HDMI worked, just the one cable went to the tv for both sound and video, so I was trying to duplicate that setup with the next best thing. So for those that do not have an HDMI setup, is the next best audio setup from the sat box going to be to the RCA plugs? Eventually I will get a new circuit board to replace the bad HDMI jack that then will allow me to hook up my HDMI, which will make all this a moot point.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 07:26 AM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by botzos View Post

Hello all.

According to the RX-V 3800/1800 specs these do not support xvYCC (or xvColor). That means, according to my understanding, that if your source and projector support it then you will not be able to "see" this new format (supposing of course that you connect your Blue ray player or HD-DVD to your projector or TV through your AV). Please comment.

Neither Blu-ray or HD DVD support Deep Color. The Yamaha RX-V1800 manual states it supports Deep Color - page 3.
OldCodger73's Avatar OldCodger73 11:15 AM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly711 View Post

Mike-
Thanks for the info. That's kinda what I thought about the pass-thru or conversion.

The reason I asked about the optical to the tv is b/c often times my schedule differs from my wife's and she is in bed when I am still up and I do not want to turn on the stereo to watch the tv (WAF). When the HDMI worked, just the one cable went to the tv for both sound and video, so I was trying to duplicate that setup with the next best thing. So for those that do not have an HDMI setup, is the next best audio setup from the sat box going to be to the RCA plugs? Eventually I will get a new circuit board to replace the bad HDMI jack that then will allow me to hook up my HDMI, which will make all this a moot point.

If you're using 5-plug component cable from the set top box to the TV two of the plugs are audio so you should get sound to the TV. Run an optical cable from the set top box to the receiver using the optical DTV/CAB input on the receiver for better sound when using the receiver. When you want sound from the receiver, set the volume on the TV to 0, when you want sound from the TV only don't turn on the receiver. If this isn't right or if there's a simpler way to do it, I'm sure someone will point it out.
mrtaber's Avatar mrtaber 04:23 PM 11-21-2007
OK, I'm thiiiis close to pulling the trigger on either an 1800 or the 3800. My question is: all the websites mention the HDMI 1.3a support, with deep color and 1080p/24hz and 120hz support. However, when I downloaded the user manual, it only mentioned 60hz? Am I confusing myself?

I have a Toshiba A35--will it pass through the 1080p/24hz signal over hdmi to my Sony Bravia sxrd television (that supports both 24hz and 120hz)?

Glad I found this thread. I've always been a Yammie man, except for the past few years. Feels good to be coming home.

Thanks,
Mark
MarkH's Avatar MarkH 06:27 PM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtaber View Post

OK, I'm thiiiis close to pulling the trigger on either an 1800 or the 3800. My question is: all the websites mention the HDMI 1.3a support, with deep color and 1080p/24hz and 120hz support. However, when I downloaded the user manual, it only mentioned 60hz? Am I confusing myself?

I have a Toshiba A35--will it pass through the 1080p/24hz signal over hdmi to my Sony Bravia sxrd television (that supports both 24hz and 120hz)?

Glad I found this thread. I've always been a Yammie man, except for the past few years. Feels good to be coming home.

Thanks,
Mark

I feed 1080p24 from my Ps3 through the 3800 and it works flawlessly.
Jacksmyname's Avatar Jacksmyname 09:21 PM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

Same here with an XA2 to the 3800 to a Sony 46XBR.
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd 11:24 PM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

I am successfully feeding 1080p/24 through my RX-V1800, both from my PS3 and XA2. This was not the case with my Yamaha HTR-6090, which is why it was recently replaced. So bottom line not only can I verify that it did not work with the older Yamaha models (at least as it applies to the XA2 - never tried with the PS3 forced mode as I didn't have the PS3 at the time), I can verify that the 1800 does indeed work just fine. Great receiver in other regards too!
botzos's Avatar botzos 12:39 AM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Neither Blu-ray or HD DVD support Deep Color. The Yamaha RX-V1800 manual states it supports Deep Color - page 3.

I am not talking about Deep Color but rather to xvColor. It is not the same thing. And yes e.g. the PS3 supports both Deep Color and xvColor (or xvYCC). My question was related to the lack of support for xvColor to the RX-V1800 & RX-V3800 and what is the impact of it.
Wazzey's Avatar Wazzey 07:02 AM 11-22-2007
when you guys use your PS3 on blueray movies, does the receiver display the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD when you use these in the movie options? Or does it just have the PCM or DTS displayed because the player is decoding it?
fflaque's Avatar fflaque 09:29 AM 11-22-2007
Does anyone know why the V1800 only upscales video through component cables and not hdmi, also will there be any noticeable difference on a hd channel when using component cables and not hdmi?
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn 10:25 AM 11-22-2007
The PS3 cannot output the raw bitstream. All the decoding is done internally.
pcsl's Avatar pcsl 10:28 AM 11-22-2007
I don't know how not supporting xv color will impact HD formats, but you won't be taking full advantage of HD camcorders which support xv color now.
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd 07:32 PM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflaque View Post

Does anyone know why the V1800 only upscales video through component cables and not hdmi, also will there be any noticeable difference on a hd channel when using component cables and not hdmi?

Yes, so Wazzey this means that your receiver will NOT show TrueHD or DD+ (although the sound can still be in those formats as decoded by the Blu Ray player).
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 12:33 AM 11-23-2007
Quote:

My question was related to the lack of support for xvColor to the RX-V1800 & RX-V3800 and what is the impact of it.

The question referenced Blu-ray and HD DVD... which titles currently offer xvColor? Have any been announced? Any chance there is a list of AV receivers that support xvColor?

Quote:

(supposing of course that you connect your Blue ray player or HD-DVD to your projector or TV through your AV)

botzos's Avatar botzos 01:11 AM 11-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The question referenced Blu-ray and HD DVD... which titles currently offer xvColor? Have any been announced? Any chance there is a list of AV receivers that support xvColor?

None that I know of. But in the sence to be prepared for the future if and when they will appear. As mentioned above currently xvColor is only supported from some Sony camcoders.
For sure the new Denon receivers support it while it is a question if the new Marantz are supporting it.
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn 08:13 AM 11-23-2007
xvColor isn't in either of the specs for Blu-ray or HD DVD.
Tags: Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop