The "Official" Outlaw 2200 Monoblock Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #181 of 182 Old Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
With mono-blocks its not only about the power rating. Each channel gets its own power supply and discrete circuits. The 2200 has been bench tested at a good deal more than 200w BTW. And the nearly non-existant THD is also a plus. One of the quietest amps you can buy.
Please support the following statements:

-The 2200 has been bench tested at a good deal more than 200w BTW.

-One of the quietest amps you can buy.

The only bench test of which I'm aware is the one Stereophile did of NHT's old A1.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/n...CshVsez2bwj.97

The Outlaw M2200 is a slightly cheaper-to-produce knockoffs of the NHT A1. They lack the A1's curved faceplate with LEDs underneath to light up the faceplate of the component below.

In Stereophile's tests, the A1 output within a reasonable margin of error of rated power: slightly more on paper, but an imperceptible amount in reality.

It also had a considerably worse S/N ratio than the best modern AB or D amps.

It's fine amp for most people in most systems, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Someone with really efficient speakers would probably be better served with a super low noise floor amp such as a Benchmark or ATI 4000/6000.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 182 Old Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by safoo3131 View Post
On the Outlaw 2200's how do you select between 8 and 4 ohms? If I set my Marantz to 4 ohm will that dictate the ohms to the amp? I am not seeing a switch on the back of the amp and not seeing any "how to" for it.

Thanks!
You don't. Most decent amps will drive 4u as well as 8u, some are rated down to 2u. AVRs frequently have a selector for this, but all it does is limit the output. (keeps them from going into protection)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page