Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

I just got mine last night and it played a thumb drive, but I did not have the osd hooked up yet, what do you want to know?

Wanted to know if it supported anything else but mp3 ? FLAC or any other lossless compression.

Is the home media gallery manual available for download? I dont recall seeing it on Pioneers website.

Since the USB connection supports thumb drives I guess plugging in en external usb drive with 500GB's worth of songs should not be an issue ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 09:44 AM

Some pics of the 94's http server. Only question I have is what "firmware" does this apply to? Notice the window title. Of course, just because this exists doesn't mean Pioneer will be releasing any firmware files.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #273 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Any thoughts on how the 94 would do driving the Dana 630's (rated at 4 ohms)? The manual says minimum 6 ohms but I thought I would see what folk thought?

(and very amusing that Pioneer has clearly planned on using the LAN for fw updates, even if not for the community - their response to me was an emphatic NO updates through LAN; but that was just yesterday's response, perhaps this thread will encourage them to utilize a feature they have clearly implemented now that the community is aware of it - at least I HOPE so)
post #274 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSfan99 View Post

Some pics of the 94's http server. Only question I have is what "firmware" does this apply to? Notice the window title. Of course, just because this exists doesn't mean Pioneer will be releasing any firmware files.

This is an excellent post AVSfan99. Thanks...
post #275 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSfan99 View Post

Thanks again AVSFAN99. If they could spruce up the graphics like that just for fw upgrades imagine what they can do for that awful DOS looking Setup screen .

I'm going to call Pioneer support to ask them if they intend to release fw updates. I'll post back later.
post #276 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Spoke with Pioneer support, 1st level had no idea about firmware so passed me on to a "technician" who did not know if they will send them firmware in the form of a cdrom or other mechanism. I asked him if he was aware of the option to upgrade by using the receivers upgrade and he had no idea. I asked to speak to a product manager or engineer and was told i could not do that ???????

I explained to him that there is a lot of consumers not happy with the old approach and that some folks like myself would consider going back to Denon just for the convenience of a downloadable firmware. He said that they were aware of customers not happy with this.

typical support cr@p. I sent off a few emails to a few heads in Pioneer and will post if any reply...which i doubt. Thats what you get even for spending top $$$ on their receivers......
post #277 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Wanted to know if it supported anything else but mp3 ? FLAC or any other lossless compression.

Is the home media gallery manual available for download? I dont recall seeing it on Pioneers website.

Since the USB connection supports thumb drives I guess plugging in en external usb drive with 500GB's worth of songs should not be an issue ?

To find the manual go to the Pioneer Electronics top page and search for "Home Media Gallery." A manual titled VSX-94TXH Owners Manual will be in the list on the first page, and this is the Home Media Gallery Manual for the 94. Lossless files such as FLAC and WAV are supported. I have tried both on my system via the HMG ethernet connection to my home PC and from a USB drive. On my system all the files that I played back sounded poor compared to standalone CD players or files played on the PC and sent to the 94 via digital coax. If somebody can figure out how to make the playback via HMG or USB sound as good as the originals, I would like to know what they did.
post #278 of 4953 Old 09-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_fr_tx View Post

To find the manual go to the Pioneer Electronics top page and search for "Home Media Gallery." A manual titled VSX-94TXH Owners Manual will be in the list on the first page, and this is the Home Media Gallery Manual for the 94. Lossless files such as FLAC and WAV are supported. I have tried both on my system via the HMG ethernet connection to my home PC and from a USB drive. On my system all the files that I played back sounded poor compared to standalone CD players or files played on the PC and sent to the 94 via digital coax. If somebody can figure out how to make the playback via HMG or USB sound as good as the originals, I would like to know what they did.

This is dissapointing...I was hoping it would at least be close to cd. I found the manual as well. thx
post #279 of 4953 Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 AM

I filled out online email support, voiced my concerns and got email saying they were forwading this to product managers...I doubt anybody will get back to me but thats service and and company "doing the right thing" out the window for you. Why would companies listen to consumers ? LOL

Imagine if we all boycott any receiver sales for a company for just 6 months...would they even wonder or care ?
post #280 of 4953 Old 09-15-2007, 09:53 AM

In defense of Pioneer support, I would like to tell my story. I bought about 2 months ago the 84 that was a demo at a closing store sale for a very good price. After reading posts on avsforum, I found out it needed an upgrade since it was over a year old when I bought it. I called Pioneer, who told me to take it to a local repair place. They said it would take a day or so. I did so, and the next day they told me it needed 3 new boards and they were backordered for several months. I posted this on the forum, and was told to call the Pioneer rep. I did so, and she said she would look into it. She called back several days later, saying that the parts were indeed back ordered, and would not be available for at least a month; would it be ok if they sent me a new 94 instead! She said it would take a few weeks, since they have not received any yet.

It came yesterday and I have not yet hooked it up, but I wouldn't complain of Pioneer support again.
post #281 of 4953 Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post

In defense of Pioneer support, I would like to tell my story. I bought about 2 months ago the 84 that was a demo at a closing store sale for a very good price. After reading posts on avsforum, I found out it needed an upgrade since it was over a year old when I bought it. I called Pioneer, who told me to take it to a local repair place. They said it would take a day or so. I did so, and the next day they told me it needed 3 new boards and they were backordered for several months. I posted this on the forum, and was told to call the Pioneer rep. I did so, and she said she would look into it. She called back several days later, saying that the parts were indeed back ordered, and would not be available for at least a month; would it be ok if they sent me a new 94 instead! She said it would take a few weeks, since they have not received any yet.

It came yesterday and I have not yet hooked it up, but I wouldn't complain of Pioneer support again.

I had a similar experience with Pioneer support. My 84 got a firmware upgrade, and when it was shipped back to me from the repair shop it was severely damaged by the shipper. The shipper claimed that it was not damaged, and after about a month of angry calls to the shipper and pleas to Pioneer to encourage the shipper to honor my claim, Pioneer just called one day and said they would swap the damaged 84 for a new 94 as soon as the 94's were available. I have had my new 94 about six weeks now and can only say thanks again and again to Pioneer support for taking care of my problem.
post #282 of 4953 Old 09-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
mrdunn & fr_fr_tx,
Both of your comments have made me 100% sure that Pioneer is the way to go instead of Denon. I currently have a Denon AVR3300 and after warranty ran out, it developed a high pitched squeal after an hour or so of use. Very annoying. I sent a letter to Denon asking if they were aware of this issue so that I could arrange for repair. I wasn't trying to have them pay for the repair, but I later found that this was a common issue on this model caused by a fan bearing going bad. Anyway, Denon blew me off and didn't even have the decency to respond to my inquiry. So, thanks for nothing Denon. I will be buying a new Pioneer Elite 94 before the month is out for a number of reasons, one of which is their customer service.

post #283 of 4953 Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 AM

All of my new cables came in this week so I can finally take advantage of the hdmi conversion for analog inputs.

Previously I was using the default composite cable that came with my Wii and I had a black border on the bottom of the screen with upconverting to 1080p. The new cable uses Component and the border problem has disappeared.

I plan to get back with Pioneer support. To see what they say..is it just a composite issue or something else.

Just wanted to update everyone.
post #284 of 4953 Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitflt View Post

I am happy to report that after 4 calls to Logitech Harmony techinical support, my 880 remote is properly controlling all the HDMI inputs on my receiver (along with the rest of my equipment.) I even got a Digital Music activity set up to start the Home Media Gallery.

Mark,

Do you know if Logitech was going to add those codes to the database for the VSX-94TXH? I just tried to setup my 880 for my 94 on Friday evening and noticed that only HDMI1, HDMI2, and HDMI4 were in the database by default. The HDMI4 that is in the database is just the code to go one-by-one through all of the HDMI inputs, not the discrete code for that input, plus HDMI3 is completely missing. Not sure if I didn't enter the correct model number or if they just have not added that to the database yet. I also had to manually add the BD, Home Media Gallery and Sirius inputs by learning those codes.

Too bad Pioneer still doesn't setup buttons on the remotes for ALL of the inputs, not sure what people do that have to use the included remotes, that would drive me crazy.

It did send an email to Logitech tech support on Friday, but I have not heard anything from them yet.

Steve
post #285 of 4953 Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

How does this receiver compare to the Denon 3808? Is there fewer bugs and quirks in it? Does it have any kind of automated setup like the Audyssey on the Denon?

Also...are the optical outputs switchable? Or are they only assigned? I've yet to find a receiver that simply sends stuff to the optical out with whatever the current input is.

The Silver Screen Cinema
Co-Optimus (Co-Op Gaming)
The Weekly Release (Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #286 of 4953 Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin View Post

How does this receiver compare to the Denon 3808? Is there fewer bugs and quirks in it? Does it have any kind of automated setup like the Audyssey on the Denon?

Also...are the optical outputs switchable? Or are they only assigned? I've yet to find a receiver that simply sends stuff to the optical out with whatever the current input is.

I'd like to know how the 3808 compares to the VSX-94 from a sound quality perspective. I've got a Pioneer Pro 150 plasma and I'm wondering if there are any 'real' advantages to this combo. Sound quality would still be the #1 factor though.
post #287 of 4953 Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 PM

I am very interested in the VSX-94TXH, however it is making me a little leary that some are having problems with HDMI to DVI connections. I have a 65" Hitachi rear projection (65S500) with DVI input (It is HDCP compliant) and I'm worried that this will suffer from the issues some are reporting. Can anybody help provide any information about this? I e-mailed Pioneer and they said there is no problem, are they correct?
post #288 of 4953 Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass8 View Post

I am very interested in the VSX-94TXH, however it is making me a little leary that some are having problems with HDMI to DVI connections. I have a 65" Hitachi rear projection (65S500) with DVI input (It is HDCP compliant) and I'm worried that this will suffer from the issues some are reporting. Can anybody help provide any information about this? I e-mailed Pioneer and they said there is no problem, are they correct?

I'm using HDMI > DVI (HDCP) on my Mitsubishi 55613 and have no problems at all running through the 92TXH.
post #289 of 4953 Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 PM

Glad to hear that! Thanks for the reply BdoUK, I appreciate you telling me this. I read a few posts where people said that HDMI > DVI was a problem. I am looking at either the VSX-94TXH or Denon AVR-3808CI. Anybody that can advise me on the best decision please let me know and why. THANKS!
post #290 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM

Help!

I'm new to this forum and new to HT. I just bought VSX-94. Installation has been pretty easy, except when setting up the remote. I have a DirectTV HR20. I'm programming my remote and can't seem to find a preset for the HR20. (In fact, I can't seem to find any cable/satellite boxes.) I currently have the HR20 assigned to TV. Which source assignment is best for the HR20... and how do I find a preset for it?

Thanks!!
post #291 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Keep the Pioneer Elite 84TSxi or upgrade to the 94? Has anyone done this yet on this forum and if so what do you like better? etc... I know the 1.3a HDMI would be nice, I had my 84 upgrade and since then my PS3 preforms flawlessly through the connection, but now I get drop outs with my Oppo player which I didn't before...
post #292 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
Hold on, Impalass88....I have the 65 inch Hitachi 65XWX20B which is HDCP compliant and the 94 does not work with it! I am using a Panasonic Blu-Ray BD-10A as my source. I tried running HDMI cable from the Panny to the receiver and HDMI>DVI cable from the receiver to the Hitachi without success(However the 94 on-screen menus worked). It should be noted that it would work intermittently if I removed and reinserted the HDMI>DVI cable. The Panny Blu-Ray directly to the Hitachi via the HDMI>DVI cable worked fine. My fix, inorder to get the 7.1audio, was to invest in a Geffen HDMI splitter. I run the HDMI from the BluRay directly into the splitter and from the splitter I run the HDMI into the 94 and via HDMI>DVI into the Hitachi. I guess this will work fine for now, since I love my 65 inch Hitachi and do not plan to upgrade it in the near future.
post #293 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azblackace View Post

All of my new cables came in this week so I can finally take advantage of the hdmi conversion for analog inputs.

Previously I was using the default composite cable that came with my Wii and I had a black border on the bottom of the screen with upconverting to 1080p. The new cable uses Component and the border problem has disappeared.

I plan to get back with Pioneer support. To see what they say..is it just a composite issue or something else.

Just wanted to update everyone.

Couple of questions:
1. azblackace, what input were you putting your Wii into on the back of the receiver? I'm using the Comp. cable that I bought for the Wii and I put it in Game 1 and 2 and couldn't seem to get it to work. So I put it in the DVD input along with the RCA's in the DVD input and just renamed it Wii on the Receiver. It all seems to be working now without a border. Is it upscaling it to 1080p. I don't know...but if the receiver isn't the TV is (Sony A3000)

2. Guys, I'm planning on getting a Harmony 1000 remote...when you program the remote(like you 880 users) will it go DIRECTLY to HDMI 1(my D* HDDVR), 2(PS3), or 3(HDDVD). Or do you have to scroll thru the inputs like before? Also, have Logitech fixed the 3 and 4 HDMI input

3. If you DO have to scroll is there a way to get all the unused inputs out of the system(Skip them like my TV does) so mine will only have HDMI 1-3 and Wii(renamed from DVD)?

So far I love the receiver and look forward to learning more about it. Even tho mine is a 92, I continue to read this thread for useful info as I am an HT noob!
post #294 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC-CA-HT View Post

Couple of questions:
1. azblackace, what input were you putting your Wii into on the back of the receiver? I'm using the Comp. cable that I bought for the Wii and I put it in Game 1 and 2 and couldn't seem to get it to work. So I put it in the DVD input along with the RCA's in the DVD input and just renamed it Wii on the Receiver. It all seems to be working now without a border. Is it upscaling it to 1080p. I don't know...but if the receiver isn't the TV is (Sony A3000)

2. Guys, I'm planning on getting a Harmony 1000 remote...when you program the remote(like you 880 users) will it go DIRECTLY to HDMI 1(my D* HDDVR), 2(PS3), or 3(HDDVD). Or do you have to scroll thru the inputs like before? Also, have Logitech fixed the 3 and 4 HDMI input

3. If you DO have to scroll is there a way to get all the unused inputs out of the system(Skip them like my TV does) so mine will only have HDMI 1-3 and Wii(renamed from DVD)?

So far I love the receiver and look forward to learning more about it. Even tho mine is a 92, I continue to read this thread for useful info as I am an HT noob!

1. Currently I have the Wii using the Component In 3 with Audio going to Game/Video 1. When I was using the composite cables I had everything going to Game/Video 1. I'm also running the A3000 and without any TV stretching I had the 1 inch black bar at the bottom of my screen using composite. Needless to say all is well with Component.

2. I've got the 676 and from what I remember the only input that does not have a discrete code is HDMI 3. Hopefully Logitech will get that fixed soon.

3. I don't believe you can turn off or skip any of the inputs using scroll method.
post #295 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Really the 92 and 94 thread should be combined. They are the same receiver minus an extra port and 10 watts.
post #296 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Really the 92 and 94 thread should be combined. They are the same receiver minus an extra port and 10 watts.

Is it exactly the same? If so I might got the 92 route, I am using the 84 as a pre/pro right now... Will have to do a spec sheet comparison on Pioneers web site.. Thanks...
post #297 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Is it exactly the same? If so I might got the 92 route, I am using the 84 as a pre/pro right now... Will have to do a spec sheet comparison on Pioneers web site.. Thanks...

If you use the compare models feature, it looks like
-10 extra watts per channel
-1 extra HDMI input
-USB memory input
-3.6lbs
-Ethernet port
-$300

Those appear to be the only differences between the two.
post #298 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I own a 92 and I would say that they are not the same due to the ethernet port on the 94 being the key. I will give credit to this receiver, even though I did not purchase it. That ethernet port really opens up more choice for the user, but could also open up more problems, hence the need for 2 threads. The power and extra input are a secondary thought, but that ethernet is the key. 94 users probably want to know if they can download firmware directly instead of bringing their receiver to a service center, like with the 84.
post #299 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Hold on, Impalass88....I have the 65 inch Hitachi 65XWX20B which is HDCP compliant and the 94 does not work with it! I am using a Panasonic Blu-Ray BD-10A as my source. I tried running HDMI cable from the Panny to the receiver and HDMI>DVI cable from the receiver to the Hitachi without success(However the 94 on-screen menus worked). It should be noted that it would work intermittently if I removed and reinserted the HDMI>DVI cable. The Panny Blu-Ray directly to the Hitachi via the HDMI>DVI cable worked fine. My fix, inorder to get the 7.1audio, was to invest in a Geffen HDMI splitter. I run the HDMI from the BluRay directly into the splitter and from the splitter I run the HDMI into the 94 and via HDMI>DVI into the Hitachi. I guess this will work fine for now, since I love my 65 inch Hitachi and do not plan to upgrade it in the near future.

Thanks for the info. I have read this from several users. Pioneer will probably address this in a future firmware upgrade. I think I have decided to go with the Denon 3808CI instead.
post #300 of 4953 Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI6603 View Post

Thanks for the info. I have read this from several others. Pioneer will probably address this in a firmware update. I think I have decided to go with the Denon 3808CI instead. I believe this to be a little better receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page