The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Quezalcoatl I was loosing my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post

Hi Ken -

Yup - the HDMI handshake issue IS about 80% with the PS3 although it did happen with my other source devices once or twice. Still, it's VERY infrequent and I don't want it to appear as if this is any kind of real problem.

As long as we're on this issue, just as a quick aside, my Sammy DLP is HDMI 1.3CEC compliant and so I thought it would be fun to see if I could get the Pio's HDMI control to play well with the Sammy (the Samsung HLT-5089 has a matching HDMI Control tool called "Anynet"). I would have loved to have been able to send through the audio and video from my DVR over to the TV without always having to turn on the receiver. No such luck though. They definitely communicated and I was able to get both to turn off and on simultaneously but I couldn't get the video/audio to pass through. It was fun to try though...sooooo close! =)

I'm a bit confused when you are referring to the overlay. When I bring up the "setup" menu for instance or the HMG, it appears full screen but I think it comes up as 480 as opposed to 1080. I don't get any other menus on screen although the volume does appear in the upper corner of the setup/HMG screens. What are you referring to when you bring this up? I'm unclear as to the context of your comment?

Best,

RobbW

Thanks Robb. I probably wasn't clear in my phrasing, but what I meant was do you see the GUI over HDMI on your display while seeing the HD picture underneath? Some receives seem to be able to do that, but only at SD resolutions. Others can't show the volume display on the TV over HDMI while displaying HD.

On another issue, I'm wondering if it's even advisable having the receiver & TV turn on at exactly the same time. I say this because some of the HDMI handshake issues occur as the result of certain 'power-up sequences'. Some people have found that the order in which you power up devices can impact on the handshake reliability.

I wouldn't get too concerned about not being able to use the Pioneer's power up ability on other 1.3 devices, any good universal remote with macros will be able to do that for you.
post #453 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I also just bought a 94 to replace my 59txi. I was skeptical I could replace anything along the lines of the 59 for under $1,600 but technology has moved on, we're now in 2007 instead of 2004, and I really started to miss the lack of HDMI inputs and new BD/HD-DVD audio formats.

I've only had it for a few days but so far I'm happy with the purchase although I'm still working on ironing out a few issues.

Certainly, the power seems to be identical. The 59 was rated at 130w at 8ohms whereas the 94 is actually 140w at 8ohms, and both with .09%THD.

Coupled with my PS3, I've been having a blast messing around with the new Dolby TrueHD output and other "new" codecs although I wish I had more media to test with other than a great Dave Matthews BD that just came out recently and "300".

On the SACD side, I'm sad that I had to give up I-Link on my 59avi and move over to 5.1 channel analog outs but the new Oppo 983 coming out in December should fix that by finally offering a true DSD mode via HDMI. I can wait.

Here are some random musings:

Weird psychological thing I guess but I never used to go beyond -6 to -10 on my 59avi volume but I can easily push the 94 slightly over to the "plus" side and that seemed surprising to me given that it's a higher rated power receiver. I still can't run it loud enough to top out or hear any distortion but I'm surprised that my overhead seems to be less.

I can't speak to the video scaling side of the house given that I'm using HDMI for my 59avi, my PS3, and my Dish 622 HD DVR and then out again to my Sammy HLT-5089 DLP but I think it's pretty uncontested that the Onkyo chip is just flat out better than the Pioneer DCDi stuff IF you really need to add a bunch of analog video sources. I can tell you quite comfortably that on the HDMI side of the house, the 94 passes the signal through beautifully. Occasionally, when switching sources, I have had to power off and on the receiver to handshake and get the signal back but it's infrequent and not really a big deal anyway. I've never lost a connection "mid-stream" once it's been on.

Also, I was SO looking forward to streaming the Neural 5.1 channel internet radio stream but thus far, I can't get in. I'm going to speak to this specific point in a new post and see what the AVS "crowd" has to say. I know it's come up earlier in this thread and I even posted about it on Monday or Tuesday but nobody responded. To date, I can't connect to it even though the rest of the internet radio options work great. I have a Squeezebox that is hooked in optically to my receiver and I think it's interesting to note that the sound quality of internet radio when connecting to a station through the 94 directly seems to be "fuller" and better quality than sending optical out through the Squeezebox which really surprised me.

Finally, I'm having a few sound quality issues with my center channel at present (music and dialogue seems a bit "thinner and harsher") but I really think I just need to tweak my setup a bit more and all will be back to normal. Certainly, enough other people have been satisfied enough to make me think this is a settings issue more so than a receiver issue.

All in all, I'm happy to have upgraded and while I will miss the "nice connections and the overall quality" of the 59, I'm satisified that technology has advanced enough to give us most, if not all the quality of a high-end component of years past, for 1/3 the cost in the present while adding new functionality as well.

RobbW

I used to iLink a 59AVi with the 59TXi, and I too was bummed that Pioneer dropped iLink from the new line, that is until last night. Just for the hell of it I picked up the new 48AV from BB and replaced my 59AVi on the rack. I set the 48AV to pass DSD through HDMI and the results through the 94 were unbelievable. This is one area where the updated technology in the 94 greatly surpasses the 59TXi. The conversion from DSD to PCM and subsequent processing and output in the 94 is significantly better than my previous setup.

In fact, I'll be going out to buy some more SACDs today. I never cared for the sound before, but the new combo has changed that!

DVD-A through HDMI is as good as ever.
post #454 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Hi Ken -

Ok - I understand now... =)

No - any Pio menu I see via HDMI is on a solid gray background of it's own and is not a "transparency" of any sort. In short, I totally leave whatever source I was previously on to go to a Pio menu.

After I unsuccessfully tried to connect the Pio to the Samsung to test the 1.3 CEC and given that my goal was to pass through audio/video from the DVR to the TV without having to turn the receiver on, I just turned HDMI Control back off, connected a separate component out from my DVR straight to the TV and was done with it. I didn't really care about the ancillary benefit of turning both on/off with a single button - like you said, this can be done with a universal remote. (FYI, for those of you that don't have a 94, this was not supposed to be a supported function anyway unless you're hooking up to a Pioneer PDP display according to the manual - I was just messing around).

Bubba -

I love my SACD's and DVD-A's as well and have quite a few. I'm excited to hear the 94 does a great job of handling DSD once it's up and running. Thank you VERY MUCH for the info as I hate to not be able to audition a feature of my receiver that is so important to me while I still have time to return it. Frankly, I wasn't tied to I-Link in as much as I just wanted clean DSD. (Although I did dig the blue I-Link light) The only reason I'm holding out for the Oppo 983 is because I also have a lot of PAL discs (my 59avi was modified to be universal) but I need the universal AND the PAL-NTSC conversion capabilities of the Oppo to be able to watch these DVDs now because as strange as this seems, my OLD Samsung HLN series DLP 720p TV was able to display 50hz PAL (with a little tearing mind you but it was salvageable) whereas my new HLT 1080p DLP won't even try. Plus I want the DSD HDMI transfer so I need a bit of the 980 and a bit of the 981, hence...my wait for the 983 which comes out at the end of the year...

P.S. Either of you get the Neural Radio to work? (LOL, I'm not giving up here - see my earlier thread)
post #455 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:

P.S. Either of you get the Neural Radio to work? (LOL, I'm not giving up here - see my earlier thread)

I just tried my neural radio right now and its working great.

gamertag : zupahwez0e
post #456 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Cool - at least I know the issue is apparently on my side. Zup - when you go into Neural Radio, do you see Test Stream 1 through 6 or do you pick from a list of stations in that folder, or do you see both?

I really thought it wasn't my side because my internet radio folder works wonderfully, and so I couldn't imagine why the neural radio side wouldn't. For Zup or anyone that has successfully got Neural Radio to work, can you please also go to Home Media Gallery -> Setup -> Information and please confirm that your firmware version is 3.5.16.6650.

Thanks,

RobbW

P.S. Maybe this is different, maybe not, but my HMG choices are Internet Radio, Neural radio ("radio" is lowercase), Favorites, Setup, (and my desktop "RobbsDesktop"). The screen shot in the manual says Internet Radio, Neural Music Direct, Favorites, Setup. I'm starting to wonder if my receiver has an old HMG version loaded.
post #457 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't tried Neural Radio yet.

The 983 sounds promising. I may stick with the 48AV, though I'll look at the 58AV once it becomes available. My only problem with the newer cheaper players is the transport noise. As you know, the 59AVi was silent.
post #458 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Hope someone can help me here. I have a set of wireless headsets and I would like to keep the wireless receiver connected to the 94TXH. If I use the front connector the speakers cut out. Is there a way to use the mult-zone and just switch between the headsets and the speakers via the remote? If so can someone let me know the setup?
post #459 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

For Zup or anyone that has successfully got Neural Radio to work, can you please also go to Home Media Gallery -> Setup -> Information and please confirm that your firmware version is 3.5.16.6650.

My version says 3.5.15.6534
post #460 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P.S. Maybe this is different, maybe not, but my HMG choices are Internet Radio, Neural radio ("radio" is lowercase), Favorites, Setup, (and my desktop "RobbsDesktop"). The screen shot in the manual says Internet Radio, Neural Music Direct, Favorites, Setup. I'm starting to wonder if my receiver has an old HMG version loaded.

Oh, and my screen says Internet Radio, Neural Music Direct, Favorites, and Setup.
post #461 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Ooh - I wonder if this just identified the problem?!! Great info AlmostInsane!!

Now I'm really curious...

a) Can anyone with my version of firmware (showing "Neural radio" instead of "Neural Music Direct") actually stream Neural Radio?

b) When you go into the folder, do you also show the Test Streams as choices or do you just have station names? In other words, how do you connect?

It's odd that if I'm interpreting my firmware version to be newer, that Neural Music Direct would now be renamed as "Neural radio" and have stopped being accessible. I would think YOU would have the "upgraded" version... Makes me wonder what Pioneer "fixed" or updated in my version?

I'd love to get confirmation from someone with my firmware that they can or can't connect to the "Neural radio" folder and how they went about doing it.

Here are the facts I do know though...in my house I have a Slingbox, two Squeezeboxes, a PS3, my Dish 622 DVR, and two laptops wirelessly connected at all times and my network is completely stable and everything functions great. When I added the Pioneer 94, it also recognized my network without issue, (including my media server Desktop PC), and the Internet Radio function and media server (HMG)works perfectly. I just don't accept that the Neural radio is the only piece that doesn't work because of a "Connection Down" message and somehow it's my personal network and not firmware related. If it was network related, my internet radio would be down as well I would think. Hmmm...

Wonder if we have a confirmed bug?

RobbW

P.S. Just added a 7 image series of the Neural radio failure...
Img_0847 is the firmware version
Img_0841 is the main HMG screen
Img_0842 is the Neural radio screen
Img_0843-0846 is the sequence of events when I try to connect
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #462 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Here are the last two images of the sequence...

RobbW
LL
LL
post #463 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

The Oppo 980 has DSD over HDMI right now, it is a 1.2a player and passes DSD.

The BS power ratings aside (only HK, NAD and Outlaw are accurate with them, although if you bother to read the fine print they are truthful about it in the details), the 94 has less power by far. The rating is into an 8 ohm load at 1khz for a very brief interval 2 channels driven. The 94 is more efficient with the power it has which is from a 530 watt power supply versus 735 with the 59, the capacitors are also much smaller. The 59 can out power it under a load.

That being said if you have efficient speakers with a subwoofer and always use it you will probably never notice the power difference.

I have all Klipsch reference speakers. RF35, RC35, RS35 and a Definitive supercube reference sub. Whole system was calibrated by UMR. I am very happy with the sound quality, but I really am missing out on the new codecs.
post #464 of 4953 Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Cool - at least I know the issue is apparently on my side. Zup - when you go into Neural Radio, do you see Test Stream 1 through 6 or do you pick from a list of stations in that folder, or do you see both?

I really thought it wasn't my side because my internet radio folder works wonderfully, and so I couldn't imagine why the neural radio side wouldn't. For Zup or anyone that has successfully got Neural Radio to work, can you please also go to Home Media Gallery -> Setup -> Information and please confirm that your firmware version is 3.5.16.6650.

Thanks,

RobbW

i show version 3.5.15.6534

gamertag : zupahwez0e
post #465 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 6534 and only see the test streams.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #466 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Jeff - did that mean you couldn't get in?

One thing we really haven't had confirmed yet...

Are the test streams the radio stations?
post #467 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Version 3.5.15.6534

post #468 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 AM

OK .....I have version 6534

It says: Internet Radio:
Neural Music Direct
Favorites
Setup

When I click on Neural Music Direct, my folderdoes not give me test streams:

It displays the following stations:

The 80's surround
Classic Hits Direct
The Vinyard-Surround
Clasical 101 Surround
Classical 101 Surround
Classical 101 Surround

I am from the New Jersey area if this is any factor...hope this helps-Pete
post #469 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Ken -

Ok - I understand now... =)

No - any Pio menu I see via HDMI is on a solid gray background of it's own and is not a "transparency" of any sort. In short, I totally leave whatever source I was previously on to go to a Pio menu.

After I unsuccessfully tried to connect the Pio to the Samsung to test the 1.3 CEC and given that my goal was to pass through audio/video from the DVR to the TV without having to turn the receiver on, I just turned HDMI Control back off, connected a separate component out from my DVR straight to the TV and was done with it. I didn't really care about the ancillary benefit of turning both on/off with a single button - like you said, this can be done with a universal remote. (FYI, for those of you that don't have a 94, this was not supposed to be a supported function anyway unless you're hooking up to a Pioneer PDP display according to the manual - I was just messing around).

Bubba -

I love my SACD's and DVD-A's as well and have quite a few. I'm excited to hear the 94 does a great job of handling DSD once it's up and running. Thank you VERY MUCH for the info as I hate to not be able to audition a feature of my receiver that is so important to me while I still have time to return it. Frankly, I wasn't tied to I-Link in as much as I just wanted clean DSD. (Although I did dig the blue I-Link light) The only reason I'm holding out for the Oppo 983 is because I also have a lot of PAL discs (my 59avi was modified to be universal) but I need the universal AND the PAL-NTSC conversion capabilities of the Oppo to be able to watch these DVDs now because as strange as this seems, my OLD Samsung HLN series DLP 720p TV was able to display 50hz PAL (with a little tearing mind you but it was salvageable) whereas my new HLT 1080p DLP won't even try. Plus I want the DSD HDMI transfer so I need a bit of the 980 and a bit of the 981, hence...my wait for the 983 which comes out at the end of the year...

You can find a zone free DV-48AV online from a reputable store... for barely more than MSRP...
post #470 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

I used to iLink a 59AVi with the 59TXi, and I too was bummed that Pioneer dropped iLink from the new line, that is until last night. Just for the hell of it I picked up the new 48AV from BB and replaced my 59AVi on the rack. I set the 48AV to pass DSD through HDMI and the results through the 94 were unbelievable. This is one area where the updated technology in the 94 greatly surpasses the 59TXi. The conversion from DSD to PCM and subsequent processing and output in the 94 is significantly better than my previous setup.

In fact, I'll be going out to buy some more SACDs today. I never cared for the sound before, but the new combo has changed that!

DVD-A through HDMI is as good as ever.

How does the 48 SACD via HDMI compare to the 59 SACD via analogue?

Also, how hot does the 94 run?

Finally, do you see a problem in mixing and matching 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers in an HT set-up? I would assume the 94 can drive both with no problem? (the 6 ohm would be the main speakers)
post #471 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 04:11 PM

I am looking to buy a receiver in the $2000 range and have narrowed down my choice to this Pioneer receiver and the Onkyo 905. Can someone who has had experiences with both of these units give me some inputs?
post #472 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If you do a search in the Onkyo and Pioneer threads you will find several opinions. Here is a quote from the previous page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

Agreed. I had a 59TXi, and I now have the 94. The SQ is virtually identical. Several posters who have owned the 49 and 59, and now the 94, have said the same. To be honest, I can't really say that it doesn't compare very favorably in the power dept. as well.

The 905 compares with the 94, not the 59TXi. The 875 compares with the 92, etc. Onkyo has yet to announce a new flagship. I looked at the new Onkyo's. The heat problem they are experiencing is easy to understand. AFIK, Onkyo still uses MOSFETs in the output stage. It's well documented that Elite switched to bipolar outputs. Bipolar output transistors run about twice as cool as MOSFETS, yet the Onkyos have half the heat sink area the Elites have. That, and a poor-to-fair QC record steered me away from Onkyo.

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #473 of 4953 Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM

Hmm - -

I thought we were on the right path to consider this as a FW bug until Jeff (post #465) said he had the older .6534 HMG firmware and also saw just the Test Streams. Up until then, it had seemed that everyone with the older firmware was fine.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one with the new .6650 firmware so without more data from other owners with .6650, it's also hard to single out the firmware anymore as an all encompassing dividing line.

Another odd thing I noticed is that even if I unplugged my ethernet connection, I could still get into the Neural radio folder and see the test streams. That makes me wonder if the test stream listings are preloaded into firmware to be overwritten with the radio station names if you can connect successfully over to the Neural internet site.

In any event, I'm going to try to contact Pioneer tech support tomorrow (or Tuesday if they're closed for the holiday), share what we've figured out thus far, try to find out what the latest firmware changed, and try to get some answers for everyone.

I'd still love to hear from anyone that can add anything to this issue and certainly, if there are any other .6650 f/w users out there, I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks for your patience all, it's not been my intention to hijack this thread! Hopefully, this will help Jeff and other future owners to get some answers. =)

Warm regards,

RobbW
post #474 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 AM

I picked up my 94 on Thursday and set it up on Friday, replacing my venerable VSX-45TX. Here are a few observations:

Call me old school, but I have always seen a direct correlation between the quality of an electronic component and its overall heft. To that end, I was somewhat disappointed to find that the 94 is nowhere near as massive as my old 45 boat anchor. The remote is too light also - although the ergonomics and layout of the new remote are better, somehow the old one felt more substantial. The new one feels like it will fly to flinders if I accidentally drop it on the floor - of course it is so light that it probably will land softly!

I was very pleased with the sound, even though I have yet to be able to get TrueHD in bitstream output from my HD-DVD source (as has been discussed at length here). I haven't hooked up any sort of an Ethernet connection to the beast (since my computer is in another room) and I have no idea if I even will.

HDMI switching seems fine between my DV-79Avi and my Toshiba HD-A2. The only problem is my Motorola Comcast cable box/DVR. It has an HDMI output, but it will not work through any switching device. The only way I can get video output is to hook it directly to my plasma's single HDMI input. Because of this, I am using component video and optical digital outputs from the cable box to the 94, upconverting to the HDMI from the component connection.

To those of you replacing an older Elite receiver, I found the basic discrete codes (on/off, volume up, volume down, etc.) are the same as the VSX-45. I am having a problem learning some of the discrete source (input) codes to my Home Theater Master MX-500. These require a two button push, so I may have to do some more fiddling and store them as macros to get them to work.

Now for video performance...when it comes to my DVD or HD-DVD sources, and the HD channels on my cable box, they look great. The colors seem more vivid, the blacks are better (I haven't used my Video Essentials disc to readjust the plasma, but overall, the picture looks more "movie theater").

The down side so far is that non-HD broadcasts off the cable box look pretty bad, there is an overall blurriness or smearing that was never noticeable before. I also seem to get different screen sizes from different channels that I never saw before - black bars at top and bottom on some, not on others. I have tried resetting the resolution and aspect ratio in the video parameters, to no avail.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase, but would like to have full HDMI switching (maybe there is an updated cable box available from Comcast), and I will need to solve the non-HD broadcast video problem.

I just wish the beast were heavier, though!

Cheers,
Paul Kile
post #475 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Paul,

When you say that you wish it had "full HDMI switching," what did you mean? As far as the SDTV problem, can't you turn off the upconversion on the 94 and let the TV do it (like before you got the 94)? Right now my TV does a great job with SDTV and I was hoping to have the 94 just pass the signal through if possible (I haven't gotten one yet, but I plan to soon.)

Thanks,
Charlie
post #476 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You CAN disable up-conversion in the Video setup menu.

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #477 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc4life View Post

When you say that you wish it had "full HDMI switching," what did you mean? As far as the SDTV problem, can't you turn off the upconversion on the 94 and let the TV do it (like before you got the 94)? Right now my TV does a great job with SDTV and I was hoping to have the 94 just pass the signal through if possible (I haven't gotten one yet, but I plan to soon.)

I think the HDMI switching issue might be a problem with the cable box rather than the receiver. The receiver will switch fine between my DVD player and my HD-DVD player when I hit the RECEIVER button followed by the appropriate input button. But if I run the cable box output via HDMI to the receiver, all I get is a blank screen and no audio.

Calls to the cable company clone have revealed that Comcast does not support the HDMI output format (meaning they do not supply cables to hook it up), but this fellow indicates that the HDMI jack should be enabled and operational. May have to dig for some further Motorola box documentation on the Internet.

Cheers,
Paul Kile
post #478 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

How does the 48 SACD via HDMI compare to the 59 SACD via analogue?

Also, how hot does the 94 run?

Finally, do you see a problem in mixing and matching 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers in an HT set-up? I would assume the 94 can drive both with no problem? (the 6 ohm would be the main speakers)

I ran my 59AVi through a B&K Ref 50 and a Newcastle P965 for about a year and a half combined. The B&K simply passed the analog multichannel signal through. The P965 could be set for pass-through or it could be set to resample the signal and apply bass management. SACD sounded poor through both processors. At the same time, DVD Audio sounded excellent. The common denominators in the equation were the DVD-A conversion and the DSD to analog conversion in the player. Based on my experience I have to say that DSD conversion in the player was poorly implemented. It is better in the 59TXi, but neither compare to what I have now.

My 94 only gets moderately warm to the touch.

My L/C/R are 6 Ohms and my surrounds are 8 Ohms. Before adding my amp I ran everything off the internal amp. The 94 never broke a sweat. I had a 55Txi that would start to distort when pushed. Not so with the 94.
post #479 of 4953 Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kile View Post

I picked up my 94 on Thursday and set it up on Friday, replacing my venerable VSX-45TX. Here are a few observations:

HDMI switching seems fine between my DV-79Avi and my Toshiba HD-A2. The only problem is my Motorola Comcast cable box/DVR. It has an HDMI output, but it will not work through any switching device. The only way I can get video output is to hook it directly to my plasma's single HDMI input. Because of this, I am using component video and optical digital outputs from the cable box to the 94, upconverting to the HDMI from the component connection.

To those of you replacing an older Elite receiver, I found the basic discrete codes (on/off, volume up, volume down, etc.) are the same as the VSX-45. I am having a problem learning some of the discrete source (input) codes to my Home Theater Master MX-500. These require a two button push, so I may have to do some more fiddling and store them as macros to get them to work.

Now for video performance...when it comes to my DVD or HD-DVD sources, and the HD channels on my cable box, they look great. The colors seem more vivid, the blacks are better (I haven't used my Video Essentials disc to readjust the plasma, but overall, the picture looks more "movie theater").

I had the same problem with my Comcast cable box/DVR motorola, and just exchanged it for a new DCH box and it works fine. I got the codes for my MX-850 from the Pioneer web site. I turned my video conversion to off.
post #480 of 4953 Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Hmm - -

I thought we were on the right path to consider this as a FW bug until Jeff (post #465) said he had the older .6534 HMG firmware and also saw just the Test Streams. Up until then, it had seemed that everyone with the older firmware was fine.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one with the new .6650 firmware so without more data from other owners with .6650, it's also hard to single out the firmware anymore as an all encompassing dividing line.

Another odd thing I noticed is that even if I unplugged my ethernet connection, I could still get into the Neural radio folder and see the test streams. That makes me wonder if the test stream listings are preloaded into firmware to be overwritten with the radio station names if you can connect successfully over to the Neural internet site.

In any event, I'm going to try to contact Pioneer tech support tomorrow (or Tuesday if they're closed for the holiday), share what we've figured out thus far, try to find out what the latest firmware changed, and try to get some answers for everyone.

I'd still love to hear from anyone that can add anything to this issue and certainly, if there are any other .6650 f/w users out there, I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks for your patience all, it's not been my intention to hijack this thread! Hopefully, this will help Jeff and other future owners to get some answers. =)

Warm regards,

RobbW

First use of home media today.

I have version 3.5.15.6534 but same problem as you:
"Neural radio" menu and only "Test_"

Are you from US or Canada? Jeff (post #465) and me from Canada...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page