The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 163 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0)

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

ragamuffin's Avatar ragamuffin
06:04 PM Liked: 10
post #4861 of 4953
02-13-2012 | Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post

Hey all I got a Headphone question. My Wireless Sony Headphones uses an RCA component cable to input audio signal to. I know I can get an adapter that would allow me to convert the Red/White inputs to a Single input and then plug this into the "Headphone" jack located in the Front Panel. But I was wondering is there a "RCA OUT" somewhere on my 94 that I could just directly plug in the Cables without having to fool with Adapter and having to Open and having to leave Open the Front Panel.
Thanks

The only RCA jacks I've found useful for this purpose are the #16 "Multichannel pre-amplifier outputs" (see image below). I've successfully used the "Front R/L" jacks in this section to do exactly as you wish to do. The only downside is that the volume "level" of these RCA jacks are controlled by the MASTER volume level from the VSX-94TXH amplifier (these RCA jacks do **NOT** put out a "fixed" amplitude line level signal). So your headphone sound level will go up and down with the MASTER volume control on your Pioneer remote. Initially, the level is somewhat low for my headphones when I leave the master volume at the nominal room listening level. This isn't a huge issue if you're careful not to switch your speakers on/off before tuning the volume down... but my kids and wife are not so careful, so I instead boost my headphone volume externally. I've remedied this issue by the following setup: I use a NILES C5-A2 extender to route my RCA jacks through CAT-5 cable to a CAT-5 jack on the wall behind my listening location which plugs into the other half of my NILES (this eliminates a cable running across the floor from my amp to my chair... which is my version of "wireless"). I'm also using an Artcessories HeadAmp4 to allow me to boost the headphone sound level to taste.

My primary setup is a 60 inch flat screen that my wife "owns". I typically get booted to a secondary 32 inch flat screen in the same room. Most of the time, my RCA cord feed into the NILES extender is from the headphone jack on this secondary TV. But I can plug it into these VSX-94TXH jacks also as needed.

Legairre's Avatar Legairre
06:17 PM Liked: 63
post #4862 of 4953
02-13-2012 | Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekcov View Post

I own Pioneer VSX94-TXH with only 1 HDMI output to TV monitor.
I have Plasma TV and HD projector.
I'm looking for recommendation what model of HDMI splitter will work on Pioneer VSX94 to split one HDMI output to 2 TV monitors.
I tried 2 splitters, not of them worked. Same splitters worked when I split HDMI output from DVD to 2 monitors, but when I connected DVD to Pioneer VSX94 and used it's HDMI output, did not work.
I performed VSX94 firmware update (whole package) to latest version, did not help.
Please help.

Hi and welcome. I've been using this matrix HDMI switcher after trying monoprice and another one with no luck. This on eworks great with the 94 and my Mitsubshi DLP projector and Toshiba LCD TV. I have a 35 ft run to the projector and the booster in the switcher really works great. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch.html
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
06:25 PM Liked: 11
post #4863 of 4953
03-06-2012 | Posts: 121
I have had the pop several times over the past few new blu ray releases. Most notably with Real Steel.
This popping has got me wary that I may have been lucky so far in that my speakers appear to be unaffected. I called Pioneer for authorizations to get both my 91 and 94 upgraded. The good news is they gave me the authorization right away via e-mail. The bad news was taking both receivers from Jersey to the nearest authorized service center that Pioneer deemed the only service center capable of doing the firmware upgrade which was in Queens NY. After a 4 hour round trip, I now have to wait 2 weeks for the upgrade and then do the 4 hour round trip again.

C'mon Pioneer there's got to be a better way! I guess I could've shipped it at my expense but I didn't trust the mail to get it to and fro without damaging it and causing me further problems.
Mamasboy's Avatar Mamasboy
07:58 PM Liked: 10
post #4864 of 4953
03-06-2012 | Posts: 515
I think we all learned a lesson never to buy hardware that can't do at home firmware updates.
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
06:08 PM Liked: 11
post #4865 of 4953
03-15-2012 | Posts: 121
You can say that again, just got my 94 back yesterday, and guess what, wrong firmware update.....frustrating......I notified Pioneer about the Service Center and they agreed it was the Service Center's fault and they definitely uploaded an old firmware update. Many apologies later they said I would be contacted soon and a resolution of this matter would be forthcoming. Actually customer service has been very good and accomodating up to this point. To be continued...............
livingproof73's Avatar livingproof73
08:51 AM Liked: 10
post #4866 of 4953
03-24-2012 | Posts: 43
What firmware did they put on?? I had mine sent in and they didn't give me the right one either......so ended up doing it myself from a dowload and CD and it fixed the issue. I was pissed that I unhooked it all and lugged it down to get it back unresolved.
09:45 AM Liked: 10
post #4867 of 4953
03-24-2012 | Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post

What firmware did they put on?? I had mine sent in and they didn't give me the right one either......so ended up doing it myself from a dowload and CD and it fixed the issue. I was pissed that I unhooked it all and lugged it down to get it back unresolved.

I also got the firmware download here but the instructions are not very clear. So I gave up on it rather than take a chance.
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
06:31 AM Liked: 11
post #4868 of 4953
03-25-2012 | Posts: 121
When I got my 94 back and found they uploaded the wrong firmware, I contacted Pioneer Customer Service telephonically and via E-mail to vent. The Tech I spoke with over the phone confirmed I had the wrong update and advised I would be contacted by Pioneer shortly. I at first thought, this will go nowhere but I received an E-Mail rather quickly stating that the Service Station I sent it too would be contacted regarding this and in the meantime they would pay to have my 94 shipped to (what they called) their premiere Service Center in Syracuse, NY. I was reluctant to package it up but I did it anyway. The Service Center appears to be very good, I got a phone call and an e-mail from them that they received my 94 and were performing the update. They also had a website that you could enter your claim number to see repair status and when the receiver would be shipped back to me. I am presently awaiting the 94's return. Its been about 6 days now since I have shipped it.................To be continued...........
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
05:45 AM Liked: 11
post #4869 of 4953
03-27-2012 | Posts: 121
Well. they got it right!.........hopefully no more firmware updates are in the future. I will buy a new receiver with internet update capability before I go through this again..........to be continued????????????????
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
07:33 PM Liked: 11
post #4870 of 4953
03-30-2012 | Posts: 121
Spoke too soon......got the 94 back and the firmware was still the same. The Service Center stated the firmware was loaded but they did not check it out again after they pulled the plug. They immediately sent me a return shipping label and agreed to reload the firmware and check to see why it did not retain the upgrade after the plug was pulled. So here we go again disconnecting all the cables, packing it up and waiting another week to get it back. Have to give Pioneer Customer service Kudos since they copied me on all their e-mails to the service center and monitored this fiasco from the beginning. Hoping the third time is the charm-To be continued....once again.....Pete
10:34 AM Liked: 10
post #4871 of 4953
03-31-2012 | Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI6603 View Post

Spoke too soon......got the 94 back and the firmware was still the same. The Service Center stated the firmware was loaded but they did not check it out again after they pulled the plug. They immediately sent me a return shipping label and agreed to reload the firmware and check to see why it did not retain the upgrade after the plug was pulled. So here we go again disconnecting all the cables, packing it up and waiting another week to get it back. Have to give Pioneer Customer service Kudos since they copied me on all their e-mails to the service center and monitored this fiasco from the beginning. Hoping the third time is the charm-To be continued....once again.....Pete

It may be time to sell that thing and get a different receiver - One with internet firmware upgrades (or easy file on USB upgrades).

You are a hardy soul. I have a nearby shop that if I coordinate the timing right I could unhook, take it in, and have them upgrade while I wait. I just can't get myself to unhook all the wires and rehook the thing back up. Still, it would be an all day, mid week project.
Jive Turkey's Avatar Jive Turkey
06:36 PM Liked: 22
post #4872 of 4953
04-03-2012 | Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

It may be time to sell that thing and get a different receiver - One with internet firmware upgrades (or easy file on USB upgrades).

You are a hardy soul. I have a nearby shop that if I coordinate the timing right I could unhook, take it in, and have them upgrade while I wait. I just can't get myself to unhook all the wires and rehook the thing back up. Still, it would be an all day, mid week project.

I too have a shop that does it same day, and gets it right the first time, each time. I wouldn't call them local....I drive six hours to get there! Though as you might have noticed earlier in this thread, I have family who lives nearby that I visit. Without that, I'd be boxing mine up too and sending it off to the same outfit.

I'm still very happy with my 94, but come the day I need another Home Theater Receiver, it'll surely be one that the firmware can be updated at home.
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
03:36 PM Liked: 11
post #4873 of 4953
04-11-2012 | Posts: 121
I know you guys were holding your breath waiting for my final outcome....at least I was....Well I got the 94 back today. Good news and Bad news, however. They successfully updated my firmware to the latest:

Mainboard: M1.006
Event: E1.002
Display: DISP1.000
DSP: D1.005
HDMI: H1.010
1st DSP Flash: F2.012
2nd DSP Flash: S1.000

I was extremely happy to see this...hopefully the DTS bomb problem has been solved. The bad news was that they didn't upgrade the Home Media Gallery. This is not a problem for me since I use it rarely and I am not....repeat not...sending it back a fourth time just to update firmware that had been working for me.

This whole ordeal has really soured me on Pioneer and I feel my next receiver will be from another manufacturer, preferably one who offers internet firmware upgrades.
04:03 PM Liked: 22
post #4874 of 4953
04-11-2012 | Posts: 1,532
Quote:

I know you guys were holding your breath waiting for my final outcome....at least I was....Well I got the 94 back today. Good news and Bad news, however. They successfully updated my firmware to the latest:

Mainboard: M1.006
Event: E1.002
Display: DISP1.000
DSP: D1.005
HDMI: H1.010
1st DSP Flash: F2.012
2nd DSP Flash: S1.000

I was extremely happy to see this...hopefully the DTS bomb problem has been solved. The bad news was that they didn't upgrade the Home Media Gallery. This is not a problem for me since I use it rarely and I am not....repeat not...sending it back a fourth time just to update firmware that had been working for me.

This whole ordeal has really soured me on Pioneer and I feel my next receiver will be from another manufacturer, preferably one who offers internet firmware upgrades.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the most current 1st DSP flash is 2.013. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the one that takes care of missing rear surrounds for Star Wars and the DTS Bomb. I hope I'm wrong about that.
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
05:21 PM Liked: 11
post #4875 of 4953
04-11-2012 | Posts: 121
I'm not sure....but I believe 2.013 is the firmware for Japan and 2.012 is the one for the U.S. Someone can correct us further if we are wrong. The Tech at the Pioneer Service Center showed me the most recently available update sheet for all Pioneer models he downloaded from Pioneers website and included the sheet when he sent it back to me. Pete

Ok, I reread the last few pages.......................arggggh. I am not planning on buying star wars again but more importantly does 2.012 get rid of the DTS Bomb problem.................Pete
06:01 PM Liked: 22
post #4876 of 4953
04-11-2012 | Posts: 1,532
Quote:

I'm not sure....but I believe 2.013 is the firmware for Japan and 2.012 is the one for the U.S. Someone can correct us further if we are wrong. The Tech at the Pioneer Service Center showed me the most recently available update sheet for all Pioneer models he downloaded from Pioneers website and included the sheet when he sent it back to me. Pete

Ok, I reread the last few pages.......................arggggh. I am not planning on buying star wars again but more importantly does 2.012 get rid of the DTS Bomb problem.................Pete

I can't tell you if 2.012 kills the bomb. I do know that my shop had to get 2.013 from Japan, which they did in advance of my appointment.
09:23 AM Liked: 63
post #4877 of 4953
04-12-2012 | Posts: 4,814
Quote:

I have 2.012 and have not had any problems with DTS bombs since I upgraded to 2.012. No problem with Transformers 3 Dark Side of the Moon, Super 8, Salt, Tangled or the Expendables, which all caused the DTS bomb for me before upgrading to 2.012. For me 2.012 fixed all DTS bomb problems(so far). It seems to me that 2.013, fixes the audio dropouts and 7.1 center back not playing problem on Star War.

A couple guys in this thread said they had the bomb and it was fixed by 2.013, but they had upgraded from 2.004 to 2.013 so it makes sense since the upgrades are cumulative and the 2.012 DTS bomb fix would also be in 2.013.
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
10:53 AM Liked: 11
post #4878 of 4953
04-12-2012 | Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I have 2.012 and have not had any problems with DTS bombs since I upgraded to 2.012. No problem with Transformers 3 Dark Side of the Moon, Super 8, Salt, Tangled or the Expendables, which all caused the DTS bomb for me before upgrading to 2.012. For me 2.012 fixed all DTS bomb problems(so far). It seems to me that 2.013, fixes the audio dropouts and 7.1 center back not playing problem on Star War.

A couple guys in this thread said they had the bomb and it was fixed by 2.013, but they had upgraded from 2.004 to 2.013 so it makes sense since the upgrades are cumulative and the 2.012 DTS bomb fix would also be in 2.013.

Thanks, Legairre for the insight.....The Tech who performed the latest update for me included a list of firmware update versions from the Pioneer Website listing all their current receivers by model numbers and their latest downloadable updates in the USA and 2.013 was not listed for the 94, just 2.012.
So, I presume 2.013 has still not been offered here in the USA for the US Techs. Hope Pioneer still reads these threads..............
Edllguy's Avatar Edllguy
03:47 PM Liked: 21
post #4879 of 4953
04-29-2012 | Posts: 389
Thinking of upgrading to a 3DTV...with my 94 and a BDP-93 in the chain...

For those of you of this forum who use the 92 or 94 coupled with a 3DTV and a daul HDMI Blu-ray player, did you get any lip sync issues that was correctable?

If you did, were you able to overcome the problem with Auto delay On/Off/adjustment feature on the 92/94?

Thanks
rjardine's Avatar rjardine
10:16 PM Liked: 10
post #4880 of 4953
05-06-2012 | Posts: 69
Been a while since I checked this thead only to find talk of the DTS Bomb! Of the discs mentioned I have played Terminator/Dark Side and The Expendables with no problems. I typically watch a movie straight thru with no chapter hopping if this make a difference.
1st DSP Flash: F2.010 and if its relevant HDMI: H1.006
Blu-ray is a Pioneer 51 and I bitstream.
Since purchasing the receiver (it's a 92) in May 2008 and the blu-ray, have had no issues whatever with either.
Not sure I want to rip everything apart and to complicate matters the AVR was purchased in the US but I live in Canada, so suspect the firmware upgrade would not be free.
Are there others out there who have not had problems, but also have not upgraded to F2.012 or F2.013?
Edllguy's Avatar Edllguy
10:49 PM Liked: 21
post #4881 of 4953
05-06-2012 | Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjardine View Post

Been a while since I checked this thead only to find talk of the DTS Bomb! Of the discs mentioned I have played Terminator/Dark Side and The Expendables with no problems. I typically watch a movie straight thru with no chapter hopping if this make a difference.
1st DSP Flash: F2.010 and if its relevant HDMI: H1.006
Blu-ray is a Pioneer 51 and I bitstream.
Since purchasing the receiver (it's a 92) in May 2008 and the blu-ray, have had no issues whatever with either.
Not sure I want to rip everything apart and to complicate matters the AVR was purchased in the US but I live in Canada, so suspect the firmware upgrade would not be free.
Are there others out there who have not had problems, but also have not upgraded to F2.012 or F2.013?

You may be able to find an authourized Canadian service centre that will do all the firmware upgrades for you for $75.00 I sugguest you look into it since really that's not a hefty price.
kevinf's Avatar kevinf
01:30 PM Liked: 10
post #4882 of 4953
05-13-2012 | Posts: 35
Not sure if it's my BDP-320 or VSX94 but last night I had to watch Mission Impossible in French with English sub titles Dolby True was all garbled and I do have the latest firmware on my BDP-320 ,any idea what went wrong .
EyeCrave's Avatar EyeCrave
01:12 PM Liked: 10
post #4883 of 4953
05-18-2012 | Posts: 68
Has anyone ran across this problem yet?

I recently upgraded by TV to a 3DTV (I am not using the 3D feature) and when playing video I lose the video signal (audio continues) and it returns a few moments after black out. If I connect directly to the TV with the PS3 it plays the source fine. Once connected back to the receiver, via HDMI, it starts the process over again. I have reset all the settings on everything and it still does it.
Cilent1's Avatar Cilent1
10:20 PM Liked: 11
post #4884 of 4953
06-11-2012 | Posts: 1,114
I see I'm a bit late to this thread. Going to be using the 94TXH a little longer till I can find something I'm happy with to pass 3D to my new set. In the meantime I need to update the firmware on the Pioneer. I'm pretty sure everything needs updating since I bought it when it was first released.

Is there a specific number to contact Pioneer and inquire about where or who can do the updating? Anyone know of a service center in the Central Florida area that's capable?

This is the last piece in my equipment chain that cannot have the fw easily upgraded at home. Boy I have learned my lesson. Any upgrade suggestions? Other than not passing 3D and having to send away for fw updates I have been pretty satisfied with the Pioneer.

Thanks
BFI6603's Avatar BFI6603
09:43 AM Liked: 11
post #4885 of 4953
06-12-2012 | Posts: 121
I had some luck calling Pioneer Customer Service at 1800 228 7221. They issued me a claim number and even shipped it free to one of their service centers for firmware updates. But read my prior posts to see what I had to go through for them to load the most recent firmware. You really have to stay on top of the process and know the latest updates as shown previously in this thread. I certainly will never buy another home theater receiver again unless its upgradable over the internet. Good luck-Pete
Cilent1's Avatar Cilent1
10:54 PM Liked: 11
post #4886 of 4953
06-14-2012 | Posts: 1,114
Found a shop to do it locally. Thanks for the info BFI6603. Now going to have to hound them and make sure the correct one's get loaded rolleyes.gif.

Regards
ss9001's Avatar ss9001
05:44 AM Liked: 343
post #4887 of 4953
06-15-2012 | Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilent1 View Post

Found a shop to do it locally. Thanks for the info BFI6603. Now going to have to hound them and make sure the correct one's get loaded rolleyes.gif.
Regards

make sure they not only get the general FW update package but also apply the DSP flash one that fixes DTS-Master Audio glitches, like the "sound bomb" and issues with Star Wars BD's. That one is a separate file available from Pioneer but they have ask specifically for it - there are several who posted that their svc shop missed it and they had to return it or apply it themselves (it's available from a particular member, not me, but you have to PM him wink.gif)

hopefully, yours is on the ball and will do the whole job. If you have any doubt, ask the shop to call Pioneer and ask for the latest DSP flash update for DTS-MA.
07:45 AM Liked: 63
post #4888 of 4953
06-15-2012 | Posts: 4,814
If they don't do it right myself and others have applied the latest upgrade from the files and instructions provided by an AVS member.
Cilent1's Avatar Cilent1
08:08 AM Liked: 11
post #4889 of 4953
06-15-2012 | Posts: 1,114
ss9001, Legairre, thanks for the additional info. I am preparing myself to have to do some part of the upgrade. Haven't heard of this shop before and not really sure what to expect so I'm gonna roll the dice and see rolleyes.gif. They told me they do these all the time and were aware of the different DSP flashes so we'll see.

Turnaround time should be about a week so I'm sure I'll be on here next week sending PM's to people trying to get the correct files biggrin.gif.
mridan's Avatar mridan
02:28 PM Liked: 10
post #4890 of 4953
06-20-2012 | Posts: 60
Just thought I would post this in the 94 thread also...

I'm in the process of getting my 92 updated. I'm bring it to the service center in Arlington Heights IL which is a short drive from my home. I want to make sure they update the firmware and DSP flash due to DSP bomb. Has anyone on this thread brought their unit there for an update, and if so did they know to update DSP?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread