The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4951 of 4989 Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. Spoke to a friend who installs home theaters. The deep color setting shouldn't be noticeable according to him. I tried to change the power on settings but that didn't fix the problem. The 94 has no volume limiter upon poet on - it simply is what you left it on at power off. The input skip function is not available.

I did however fix the Harmon to control the home media gallery. Pretty cool feature and one that I can see myself using often. All in all, very happy with the 94.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4989 Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Another question guys; apologies for redundancy. Seems that there have been quite a. Few firmware updates on this avr. I just checked the version on mine and it says 3.5.16.6650

My question is what is the latest firmware version and I read a couple places that pioneer would pay for the update even on ought if warranty avr's. Is this correct?
post #4953 of 4989 Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Read the thread. There are ways to update firmware yourself.
post #4954 of 4989 Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know how to remove the volume knob?
post #4955 of 4989 Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchabin View Post
anyone know how to remove the volume knob?
post #4956 of 4989 Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That was the right answer. Took a pretty good tug!

The knob was wobbly. I pulled it off, tightened the nut, and all is well. Thanks trx250r87!

As an aside, I've has this unit for a lot of years now, and I'm still quite satisfied. There aren't many purchases you can say that about year after year...
property33 likes this.
post #4957 of 4989 Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM

8 years later, and the receiver is still going strong.

I see goodies on sale now and then and get tempted to replace it, but then I come to my senses and take a vacation instead!
post #4958 of 4989 Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post
I'm another 'newb' that apparently didn't even know the firmware could be updated.. so I'll give it a crack, just before I sell the 94

My new TV needs HDMI 1.4 so that I can pass through 3D content from my PS3.

Does anyone have another solution to this issue? If not, does anyone have recommendations on a similar receiver that will pass 3D BluRay?

Thanks!
I have a Panasonic blueray player with two HDMI outputs, one for 1.4 for my 3d TV and audio only to my receiver, works great, not sure if this helps you. My 94 works great so I see no reason to buy a new one.
post #4959 of 4989 Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post
I have a Panasonic blueray player with two HDMI outputs, one for 1.4 for my 3d TV and audio only to my receiver, works great, not sure if this helps you. My 94 works great so I see no reason to buy a new one.
I do the same with my Oppo 103.
post #4960 of 4989 Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 PM

@Foxbat121 Thanks for this post! It solved a problem for me that was driving me absolutely crazy. Now, its fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
For me the 'not supported' issue is a HDMI hand shake issue. If you let your TV turn on first, wait a few second for it to fully initialized, then turn on the receiver, then other devices, it will work fine. The problem seems to be that the receiver needs to perform handshake right when it powers up. If the TV is not ready to do that, the receiver will not output 1080p and fall back to safe mode which max out @ 10080i.

Also, whenever you encounter 'not supported' issue, turn off the receiver and turn it back on will usually resolve the issue.

On my Harmony remote, I asked Logitech support to create a special TV power on sequence for me so that the receiver won't receive power on command until TV powers up for certain time.
post #4961 of 4989 Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Liked: 4
Hey everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a (new to me) VSX-94TXH. I bought from a friend as a package deal, but he didn't have the remote to go along. He was using a Logitech Harmony 670 for everything, and gave that to me as well.

My question is, should I reset to factory settings before getting everything setup? Also, will I be losing out on anything by not having the original remote for the unit?

Thanks!
post #4962 of 4989 Old 12-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnk31 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a (new to me) VSX-94TXH. I bought from a friend as a package deal, but he didn't have the remote to go along. He was using a Logitech Harmony 670 for everything, and gave that to me as well.

My question is, should I reset to factory settings before getting everything setup? Also, will I be losing out on anything by not having the original remote for the unit?

Thanks!
There are so many features of this receiver that you are unlikely to even know they exist without the original remote; however, Harmony does an adequate job of rendering a usable remote control for the VSX-94TXH. I would NOT reset to original factory settings IF your friend has updated the firmware. If he has not updated the firmware then research this forum for how to update it so your speakers don't fall victim to the DTS bomb.
post #4963 of 4989 Old 12-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectormaker View Post
There are so many features of this receiver that you are unlikely to even know they exist without the original remote; however, Harmony does an adequate job of rendering a usable remote control for the VSX-94TXH. I would NOT reset to original factory settings IF your friend has updated the firmware. If he has not updated the firmware then research this forum for how to update it so your speakers don't fall victim to the DTS bomb.
Well, it looks like he didn't do much of anything to the receiver. Here are the version and almost all of them look out-of-date from searching in this thread:

M 1.004
E 1.002
D 1.002
H 1.006
f 2.004
S 1.000

I also think I read that you need to update these one at a time (2.004-.005, then .005-.006), is that correct? If so, I'm going to have a LOT of updating to do If that's the case, which ones should I start with?

Front L&R: Paradigm Studio 60 v3
Center: Paradigm CC-590
Subwoofer: Paradigm Seismic 12
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-94TXH
post #4964 of 4989 Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Thanks to Hkån, my VSX-94TXH is now sporting the brand new 1st DSP Flash version 2.013! I used an Oppo V971H DVD player to send the 1st DSP Flash firmware to the 94TXH via the #1 coaxial audio input. At first, playing the 2.013 1st DSP Flash firmware disc in the DVD player DID show a PCM signal received by the 94TXH but the firmware was not updating (the HDMI indicator light was not flashing). A little investigation discovered that I had to go into the Oppo DVD player's setup menu and change the SPDIF (digital audio) setting from PCM to RAW. Once I switched the Oppo to RAW output the firmware transferred perfectly. It took a little over 2 minutes.

IMPORTANT!! The zip file that Hkån provided has firmware update instructions for the VSX-LX70. Those instructions appear to have a slightly different service menu interface than the instructions I have for the VSX-94TXH. But the 1st DSP Flash firmware file is the same for both. I used the 2.013 file that Hkån provided to burn the CD and followed the VSX-94TXH instructions I already had (from last January).

Since my 94TXH was updated earlier this year, all of my other firmware versions were up to date. I did not have to update anything else, just the 1st DSP Flash. As I mentioned in a previous message (several months ago), the full firmware update package is a multi-step process with some firmware being updated by RS-232, some being updated by ethernet and then the 1st and 2nd DSP Flashes being updated by an audio CD connected to the digital audio input of the receiver.

So... anyone planning to attempt this update on their own, be advised, the FULL package of firmware updates is much more complex than just updating the 1st DSP Flash.

BTW, the switch from 1st DSP Flash 2.012 to version 2.013 FIXED the brief audio dropout problem I was having on Star Wars IV: A New Hope Blu-ray. Some of my problems with the Star Wars Blu-rays were traced to my older Panasonic BD35 player failing on me. But even after I installed a new Panasonic BDT110 player, the brief audio dropout at the very start of chapter 16 (Star Wars IV) was still present. After updating the 94TXH to 1st DSP Flash 2.013, the chapter 16 audio dropout is GONE! Hooray!

My thanks to Hkån for providing the new firmware file!

Mark

Mark,
Can you share the instructions for the VSX-94THX? This will be my first attempt to update my 94...just read your comment how the 70 instructions are different from the 94. Thanks
post #4965 of 4989 Old 02-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
He can also do the upgrade by burning it to CD. HKAN gave myself and many other the firmware and instructions and we've all upgraded to 2.013 without issues. The CD upgrade is very easy.

I downloaded HKAN's files, but the instructions appear to be for the 70...does anyone have specifically for the 94? Thanks
post #4966 of 4989 Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh4170 View Post
I downloaded HKAN's files, but the instructions appear to be for the 70...does anyone have specifically for the 94? Thanks
The 70 instructions are the only instructions there are. The LX70 is the European version of the 92/94 models we have here in the US. They are the same just different model numbers for whatever reason.

You only need to follow the instructions in section 8.2 and ignore and skip over anything that says DSP2 in the instructions, because you are only updating DSP1.

A large part of the instructions at the beginning is all about setting up the CD/DVD player for burning and playing back the .wav file that has the firmware in it. After that the actual update instructions are under the two parts labeled [Procedures].

Also make sure you use a new CD-R. Myself and other members had trouble with using an old CD-R.

If you need any help just give me a shout. I've been out of the 92.94 world for some time now but I can probably help though what I remember bout the update.

Legairre

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Last edited by Legairre; 02-18-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #4967 of 4989 Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The 70 instructions are the only instructions there are. The LX70 is the European version of the 92/94 models we have here in the US. They are the same just different model numbers for whatever reason.

You only need to follow the instructions in section 8.2 and ignore and skip over anything that says DSP2 in the instructions, because you are only updating DSP1.

A large part of the instructions at the beginning is all about setting up the CD/DVD player for burning and playing back the .wav file that has the firmware in it. After that the actual update instructions are under the two parts labeled [Procedures].

Also make sure you use a new CD-R. Myself and other members had trouble with using an old CD-R.
If you need any help just give me a shout. I've been out of the 92.94 world for some time now but I can probably help though what I remember bout the update.

Legairre

Thank you Legairre...will give it a try tomorrow. I want to run the instructions really good before I attempt.
post #4968 of 4989 Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you Legairre...will give it a try tomorrow. I want to run the instructions really good before I attempt.

Just as a follow up - I was able to do the CD-R update a little different than what has been listed. I used the optical output on my Mac Pro and connected to Optical 1 on the 94THX...played the .wav file thru iTunes and worked wonderfully. The Home Media Gallery update went smoothly via ethernet and the RS-232 updates went great as well. This receiver will now be with me for a few more years...awesome piece of equipment. Thanks to all that paved the way and to HKAN for providing the update files.
post #4969 of 4989 Old 02-22-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just as a follow up - I was able to do the CD-R update a little different than what has been listed. I used the optical output on my Mac Pro and connected to Optical 1 on the 94THX...played the .wav file thru iTunes and worked wonderfully. The Home Media Gallery update went smoothly via ethernet and the RS-232 updates went great as well. This receiver will now be with me for a few more years...awesome piece of equipment. Thanks to all that paved the way and to HKAN for providing the update files.
Glad to hear the update worked and went smoothly. I'm not sure how HKAN acquired the update all those years ago, but it certainly saved me a trip to the dealer. My first update was about 6 months after getting the 92TXH and I sent it to Pioneer and didn't ge tit back for 3 weeks due to shipping times (1 week each way) and then the actual update that the invoice listed as taking 10 mins, but it sat for 4 days before working on it. HKAN saved us all from sending our receivers in for something that is clearly user updatable.

I had my 92TXH from 2007-2012 and them moved onto an Anthem receiver. The 92/94 are great receivers, glad to hear some of you guys are still running them.

Last edited by Legairre; 02-22-2016 at 08:21 AM.
post #4970 of 4989 Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear the update worked and went smoothly. I'm not sure how HKAN acquired the update all those years ago, but it certainly saved me a trip to the dealer. My first update was about 6 months after getting the 92TXH and I sent it to Pioneer and didn't ge tit back for 3 weeks due to shipping times (1 week each way) and then the actual update that the invoice listed as taking 10 mins, but it sat for 4 days before working on it. HKAN saved us all from sending our receivers in for something that is clearly user updatable.

I had my 92TXH from 2007-2012 and them moved onto an Anthem receiver. The 92/94 are great receivers, glad to hear some of you guys are still running them.
Anthem makes a great product...hope to own one at some point. I actually almost bought a new Marantz last week, but now that the 94 is updated and the issues are gone...may have to hang on to it for a while longer...love the power and clarity and have had zero issues in 6 years. I picked up the Marantz and asked the sales person if there was anything inside...definitely not like the 94 tank.

Have you been pleased with the Anthem?
post #4971 of 4989 Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anthem makes a great product...hope to own one at some point. I actually almost bought a new Marantz last week, but now that the 94 is updated and the issues are gone...may have to hang on to it for a while longer...love the power and clarity and have had zero issues in 6 years. I picked up the Marantz and asked the sales person if there was anything inside...definitely not like the 94 tank.

Have you been pleased with the Anthem?
I have an Anthem MRX 300 receiver that replaced the 92TXH back in 2012. The Anthem is grat, but what really mkes it so special is the Anthem with ARC(room correction). I've had receivers and pre pros from Denon, Rotel, Marantz, Pioneer, Sherwood and Sony over the years and only the Sherwood P-965 pre pro with it's room correction software came close to the Anthem. The Sherwood was just a great sounding unit and the Anthem is even better.

I love the sound so much I'll only buy Anthem due to the ARC room correction. When I bought the MRX 300 it was $1000 MSRP and now they have a new 11 channel ATMOS receiver for $2500 MSRP. Guess I'll be selling the MRX 300 this year and getting the new one. Unfortunately with the MRX 300 being 4 years old I'll have to sell it for $400 but it's better than nothing.

post #4972 of 4989 Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 PM

94TXH Firmware Update

Quote:
Were you several versions behind.? If you are upgrading from 2.012 to 2.013 every will be there but if you are skipping from say 2.007 for example it will be missing something because the update from HKAN is not cumulative.
Looking into updating the firmware on my 94TXH but it is several versions behind. Are there DIY options to get to 2.012 that include all the incremental updates?
post #4973 of 4989 Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Hi there, I have the official instructions for the 92 and 94.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FW_UpgradeInstructions_VSX92_94.pdf (302.1 KB, 25 views)
post #4974 of 4989 Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Looking into updating the firmware on my 94TXH but it is several versions behind. Are there DIY options to get to 2.012 that include all the incremental updates?

Hi there, it doesn't matter what your current firmware version is. Follow the instructions and you will have the latest.
post #4975 of 4989 Old 03-15-2016, 12:47 PM

Also note on the last page of the instructions, it tells you what to do if you somehow screw up, and brick your receiver
Not to scare anyone as this is not easy to screw up, however, a power outage or pc freeze up could cause this.
post #4976 of 4989 Old 03-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Legairre
Where can I find Hkan's instructions for the firmware upgrade?
post #4977 of 4989 Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1bum View Post
Where can I find Hkan's instructions for the firmware upgrade?
Myself and several others have them. If you pm me your email address I can send you the firmware update along with the instructions Hkan gave us.

post #4978 of 4989 Old 03-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Myself and several others have them. If you pm me your email address I can send you the firmware update along with the instructions Hkan gave us.
Thanks for that but apparently my post count is not high enough to send PM to you, I will try again as soon as I am able.
post #4979 of 4989 Old 03-16-2016, 10:37 AM

How do I get to the V-parameter screen to enable video scaling?
post #4980 of 4989 Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM

My receiver is doing crazy things, was working fine until recently and then I lost the TV feed from my HDMI 1 port, I moved it to 3 and it was working fine for a little while, I then needed to move the receiver to another location and now it has gone crazy, I have the Directv PVR plugged into HDMI 3 but can only get it to respond if I set it to HDMI1 input. Tried to input set up several times and it always comes back to the same thing, thinking I may need to do a factory reset on the unit, opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page