The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4953 Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just seems odd that I bought three and haven't had a hitch of any kind with all three....Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4953 Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbusby View Post

Why would anybody lie about having delays, recalls, etc about this receiver. I forwarded proof vie email (10/2) from Pioneer on a certain upgrade that they were performing for Japan and that my delivery would be delayed. I have it now (10/12) and not worrying about it. It's not like it is a smear campaign or anything against Pioneer. They just want information. No biggie!

Here it is posted again:

Hello,

This receiver is on hold right now due to an upgrade that Japan has asked us to make them. We hope it only takes about a week or so for this upgrade.

Thanks for your patience,

Direct Sales
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
www.shoppioneer.com

The problem with your story was addressed earlier in this thread, and that is, Pioneer doesn't sell Elite direct.

So, what exactly did you buy?
post #633 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have tried using the Ipod direct connect and my collection is so large it takes forever to page down to an artist or an album, I am about to just do the normal audio video hook up so I can use the IPOD control.

On a related note, the manual says that you can not play pictures or video from the Ipod through the receiver with the special IPOD cable. To do this it says to hit Photo and control the IPOD manually. Where the heck is the Photo button? I looked on the remote and receiver and can't find it.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #634 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 06:43 AM

I just boutht a samsung blue ray and it needed a firmware upgrade out of the box. I did it using a LAN connection and it was quick and easy.

I'm wondering if the 94 can be upgraded with the LAN. Searching the forums has resulted in conflicting info. Anyone have the scoop on firmware upgrades over LAN on the 94?

Thanks,

Scott
post #635 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

The problem with your story was addressed earlier in this thread, and that is, Pioneer doesn't sell Elite direct.

So, what exactly did you buy?

As I believe I stated before, I can purchase through an employee/partner program with Pioneer. And yes I did buy direct as my company has a directly link to the online store with the special price as well as a phone number that I can purchase from. It was the 94TXH and will be buying the 95FD BD and the 150FD this week. Incredible pricing so it really is a no brainer. Not trying to get into a pissing match. I don't know what the problem is/was but they have some fix for the affected ones.

Greg
post #636 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post

The only other thing I can imagine (and this is a Hail Mary at best) is that if you log into the IP address of the receiver, you can get to the firmware update screens, and I've noticed in the preparation stages for running firmware updates (just before you upload a firmware file), and when you cancel out of that, it "resets" the communication on the receiver and I thought MAYBE, just MAYBE that would clear the slate for you and then you could try to go into the HMG, and then the Neural Folder and wait and see what happens.

I did exactly that process with the same thought about a possible reset, but after over 26 hours later mine still reads "Neural radio" and only has the 6 dead test streams. My receiver is in the DMZ on my router, and I also have respond to WAN pings enabled temporarily in hopes of getting this fixed. I am convinced that the router is not a problem, as I see plenty of successful hits to pioneer.vtuner.com:80 where Internet radio is getting updates, but there have been no attempts to abacast.

I am REALLY bummed as I would use the Neural surround radio TONS! I love everything else about this receiver, but I have to say that the choice to program the neural update process as RobW describes was HORRIBLE! They need to fix this in a firmware update. The receiver is of course the hub in my family entertainment system, and having it set idle in the neural folder for one hour much less 24 hours was not easy. The entire household uses the thing and I practically had to set up barricades to remind the gang not to touch it. If I ever get it updated to get 4 or 5 Neural choices that will probably not occur again maybe ever!
post #637 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Oh - I also should have mentioned that mine too is firmware version 3.5.15.6534, which was thought to have good potential for updating via the RobW method. No joy...
post #638 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post

Oh - I also should have mentioned that mine too is firmware version 3.5.15.6534, which was thought to have good potential for updating via the RobW method. No joy...

dasher u are not alone a lot of us have the same problem. robbw has been trying to help everybody becasue pioneer is not. i have been calling them for 3 weeks and they have no ideal of whats wrong. but u are right it is a firmware bug. if u waiting on pioneer to fix it u gone to be wait a long time. i went back to the store and complained and they said they will give me one of the new batch that come in on 10/29. if i was u i'll try the samething. but until then i been working with rod to see is there a way around this.
post #639 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, I just want to reiterate what I have said in earlier posts...I don't think there is "anything" wrong with the receivers. I sell alot of these on Ebay. I said that to say that, since I have read about these alledged problems, I have been testing the units as I get them on the same Linksys router connected to an average DSL modem...I own 2 of these and have now tested 4 more!...Every one plays internet radio and neural perfectly...and all of them identified my Linksys router without doing anything except plugging in the ethernet cable from my Linksys to the back of the receiver. I feel these alledged problems are user oriented, or router oriented....

PS, I will continue to test these as I get them.

post #640 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 PM

I have a different point of view on this. I think that even if this WAS an end-user internet problem in every case (and I don't believe that personally), Pioneer should have installed communication software robust enough where an "average" end-user can plug in their ethernet cable into an "average" home environment and have it work properly without issue.

For example, not a single user on this board has reported any problem using the Internet Radio folder. Obviously, everyone has a decent enough internet connection to pull down those streams without issue and that is a great plug-and-play example of technology working as it should. Pioneer did a flawless job with the VTuner (Internet Radio) integration. The Pioneer Neural connection should be equally transparent.

It is very important it is to let Pioneer Tech Support know if you are having issues.

For Service & Support Please Contact Us At:
1925 E. Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
Call (800) 421-1404

Hours of operation:
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Eastern (all product inquiries).

RobbW
post #641 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Pioneer should have installed communication software robust enough where an "average" end-user can plug in their ethernet cable into an "average" home environment and have it work properly without issue.

RobbW

They did...and I do... In other words, I am Joe average and I have not had an issue with six units. It is a great receiver. No complaints whatsoever...
post #642 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

They did...and I do... In other words, I am Joe average and I have not had an issue with six units. It is a great receiver. No complaints whatsoever...

I'm not so sure...it doesn't appear that you have been able to go out and update the database with the four working streams and got rid of the "old" menu with the triplicate Classical channel listing.

Yes, it still works fine for you but I hope that if and when Neural adds more stations, that you will be able to pick them up and add them to your folder. Makes me curious if certain versions of the Pio come with a pre-populated listing of those 6 streams instead of the 6 test streams.

...both of which really should be updated to the "current" menu of 4 streams (without the redundant Classical listing).

When I pick up my new receiver today, I'm going to take a peek at the HMG before I go anywhere near an ethernet cable and see if I see test streams or the 6 working listings with the extra classical.

I'll let you all know!

RobbW

P.S. Now my curiosity has got the best of me, has anyone here been able to "properly" update to the menu with 4 streams? If not, maybe it worked from the start for you (with the 6 streams/3 classical) and you never saw a reason to run the "idle time" solution but if that's the case, can you give it a try, see if you can update your database and let me know? (Again, please let me know if you successfully see 4 streams like my present receiver does now).
post #643 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got neural radio working. It was worth the effort.

I tried and tried for the past few days but only could see the start menu but could not move to any of the folders or do anything with my remote.

So today I went direct to the receiver and found I could move around with the on receiver controls.

Once I was able to this I was able to get into set up and set it to auto dchp (sp?) and it found my networked computer. Then I went to neural radio and clicked on it, it said "update?" I clicked yes, it downloaded and update and bingo, Neural Radio.

I can confirm that Neural Radio sounds absolutely perfect. Best sound I have heard from this receiver so far. I would say it is high end turntable quality sound or better.

post #644 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Just seems odd that I bought three and haven't had a hitch of any kind with all three....Interesting.

ok hdman just cause u didn't have a problem don't mean other people are not.
its not all the time the end user. lets just say u been lucky becasue if u had the problem u would be trying to get it fix. its not the hard to plug a rj5 cable in and press a few buttons. if everthing work like it should it won't be a need for tech support. but as we all know their is a long line waiting to talk to support. if u would have took the time to read the thread u would have seen that their have been some recalls on some 94s. so some of the 94 do have problems so just thank god u don't have one of them.
post #645 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not so sure...it doesn't appear that you have been able to go out and update the database with the four working streams and got rid of the "old" menu with the triplicate Classical channel listing.

Yes, it still works fine for you but I hope that if and when Neural adds more stations, that you will be able to pick them up and add them to your folder. Makes me curious if certain versions of the Pio come with a pre-populated listing of those 6 streams instead of the 6 test streams.

...both of which really should be updated to the "current" menu of 4 streams (without the redundant Classical listing).

When I pick up my new receiver today, I'm going to take a peek at the HMG before I go anywhere near an ethernet cable and see if I see test streams or the 6 working listings with the extra classical.

I'll let you all know!

RobbW

P.S. Now my curiosity has got the best of me, has anyone here been able to "properly" update to the menu with 4 streams? If not, maybe it worked from the start for you (with the 6 streams/3 classical) and you never saw a reason to run the "idle time" solution but if that's the case, can you give it a try, see if you can update your database and let me know? (Again, please let me know if you successfully see 4 streams like my present receiver does now).

Robb...How would one go about "updating" the current streams?...On each of these 6 receivers when I plugged in the ethernet cable and ran HMG it asked update now?...and of course I clicked yes...Is there another way of updating?
post #646 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker006 View Post

ok hdman just cause u didn't have a problem don't mean other people are not.
its not all the time the end user. lets just say u been lucky becasue if u had the problem u would be trying to get it fix. its not the hard to plug a rj5 cable in and press a few buttons. if everthing work like it should it won't be a need for tech support. but as we all know their is a long line waiting to talk to support. if u would have took the time to read the thread u would have seen that their have been some recalls on some 94s. so some of the 94 do have problems so just thank god u don't have one of them.

Well sure it is easy to plug in an ethernet cable and press a few buttons, but...If there is a problem with the users modem or router, or their ip address is not set up correctly, it's not going to work. I am saying that I believe if these folks were to bring their unit to me and let me hook it up to my router, I believe their units would work fine. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. As I said, I will continue to check the units I purchase (to make sure the buyers don't have problems)...If I find one that has a problem with the internet or neural radio I will post it here.
post #647 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Well sure it is easy to plug in an ethernet cable and press a few buttons, but...If there is a problem with the users modem or router, or their ip address is not set up correctly, it's not going to work. I am saying that I believe if these folks were to bring their unit to me and let me hook it up to my router, I believe their units would work fine. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. As I said, I will continue to check the units I purchase (to make sure the buyers don't have problems)...If I find one that has a problem with the internet or neural radio I will post it here.

by looking at the pic i have that same linksys router but i have a netger gigabit router as well and i have a degree in electronics. been a network administrator for the last ten years. so i'm dam sure it not a user problem or the router. been doing this kind of work to long. it the 94 software.
post #648 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

I finally got neural radio working. It was worth the effort.

I tried and tried for the past few days but only could see the start menu but could not move to any of the folders or do anything with my remote.

So today I went direct to the receiver and found I could move around with the on receiver controls.

Once I was able to this I was able to get into set up and set it to auto dchp (sp?) and it found my networked computer. Then I went to neural radio and clicked on it, it said "update?" I clicked yes, it downloaded and update and bingo, Neural Radio.

I can confirm that Neural Radio sounds absolutely perfect. Best sound I have heard from this receiver so far. I would say it is high end turntable quality sound or better.

If you didn't know already, the remote only works when "HMG" is in the remote controls window...If it says "receiver" (or something other than HMG) in the window it won't control the HMG settings. You have to press "shift" and "ipod" buttons at the same time to get to HMG.
post #649 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

by looking at the pic i have that same linksys router but i have a netger gigabit router as well and i have a degree in electronics. been a network administrator for the last ten years. so i'm dam sure it not a user problem or the router. been doing this kind of work to long. it the 94 software.

Well if you have a degree then you should have the common sense to know these are all built with the same exact parts on an assembly line environent and it would be fair to assume that for the most part they are all identical units...If I have tested 6 and none of them exhibit any of these alledged "problems" then it would be common sense to think that it is user or router oriented...
post #650 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Well if you have a degree then you should have the common sense to know these are all built with the same exact parts on an assembly line environent and it would be fair to assume that for the most part they are all identical units...If I have tested 6 and none of them exhibit any of these alledged "problems" then it would be common sense to think that it is user or router oriented...

thats the first place u went wrong their are no two things exectly alike, and u should know that by now. pioneer dosen't make any parts they are all out source. by differnt mfg, so just because they look the same don't mean they the same. some break down sooner than other. so that statment don't hold water. i done seen too many computer come in for the same mfg and network card, hard drive, mother board, are bad. and pioneer is not above this.
post #651 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thats the first place u went wrong their are no two things exectly alike, and u should know that by now. pioneer dosen't make any parts they are all out source. by differnt mfg, so just because they look the same don't mean they the same. some break down sooner than other. so that statment don't hold water. i done seen too many computer come in for the same mfg and network card, hard drive, mother board, are bad. and pioneer is not above this.

You sure don't sound like you have a degree...I had to get my 10 year old daughter to try and interpret what you just tried to say...I guess typing and English weren't your majors?...LMFAO... These units are all made to specs and there "are" defective units...but they are defective from parts failing and are few and far between...
post #652 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:

You sure don't sound like you have a degree...I had to get my 10 year old daughter to try and interprete what you just tried to say...I guess typing and English weren't your majors?...LMFAO... These units are all made to specs and there "are" defective units...but they are defective from parts failing and are few and far between...

way waste my time and the other people time who's have a problem playing around with u casue u are not trying to help anyone on this thread. i don't know why u on the thread. try to find something more construtive to do with your time .
post #653 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you didn't know already, the remote only works when "HMG" is in the remote controls window...If it says "receiver" (or something other than HMG) in the window it won't control the HMG settings. You have to press "shift" and "ipod" buttons at the same time to get to HMG.

Yeah, I figure that's the problem but when I hit shift and Ipod the remote doesn't go to HMG it goes to IPOD. I've tried it 100 times without success.

I get into HMG with my preprogrammed universal remote but once in I can't move around with that either. I am think their must be another way to get the remote to HMG mode.

post #654 of 4953 Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 PM

When using HDMI Through on the 94txh , while watching TV, my audio stops working from the TV (PIONEER 150 FD) Speakers, for a few seconds. Does this happen to anyone else?
post #655 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 AM

Has anyone tried upconverting SDTV with this. I'm considering buying a separate tuner and running the composite out through the receiver for upscaling. In theory, it should work. Does anyone have an experience with trying this?
post #656 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I wondered about this as well...Wouldn't S-video work as well, if not better?
post #657 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc78240 View Post

When using HDMI Through on the 94txh , while watching TV, my audio stops working from the TV (PIONEER 150 FD) Speakers, for a few seconds. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, but only when I switch to pass through. Once enabled, it stays on. Same thing happens when changing HDMI inputs for me. It basically starts up, stops and then kicks back in. I assumed it was the HDMI making the handshake, but could be wrong. I'm not an expert with these things...

HD Junkie
post #658 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I plugged up my ethernet cable and easily went through setup in HMG and it updated, but I have the 80s, Classic Hits Direct and the Vineyard and Classical 101 x 3 and mine says "Neural Music Direct". Is there something I'm not getting? Everything is working fine right now, but I did once have trouble, kept getting "Track Not Found" on all the stations until I went back through the setup options again and that cleared it up.

I was able to listen to the Internet Radio stations without problem.

I also have a wireless network coming off that same router, and as soon as I turned on my laptop, I got an icon popup for sharing with the Pioneer. I said yes to "allow" and my laptop's name popped up. And I'm streaming music off of it right now. Pretty seamless for me.
post #659 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Considering this for my next receiver and have a few questions:

1) Can I output LPCM from my Xa1 and Ps3 and then apply PLIIx or THX post processing to get 7.1 on 5.1 PCM sources?

2) I need to use the RGB colorspace to match the calibration on my display from my PS3 (HDMI). Apparently the Onkyo's negotiate in the ycbcr color space. The Denons have a menu setting to set this manually. Does anyone know how the Pioneer handles this?

3) How is the THX surround mode on this unit, or are most of you just using PLIIx post processing?
post #660 of 4953 Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Considering this for my next receiver and have a few questions:

1) Can I output LPCM from my Xa1 and Ps3 and then apply PLIIx or THX post processing to get 7.1 on 5.1 PCM sources?

2) I need to use the RGB colorspace to match the calibration on my display from my PS3 (HDMI). Apparently the Onkyo's negotiate in the ycbcr color space. The Denons have a menu setting to set this manually. Does anyone know how the Pioneer handles this?

3) How is the THX surround mode on this unit, or are most of you just using PLIIx post processing?

1. Yes
2. I don't believe the 94 applies any video processing to HDMI. You would establish color space at the source and pass it through the 94 unaltered, unlike the Onkyos.
3. I can't comment on this. I really haven't experimented much with THX yet. I've used PLIIx post-processing exclusively thus far.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page