The "Official" VSX-94TXH Thread...:0) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another NooB question ....

I've been playing with the Video upscaling capabilities of the 94, can someone please tell me what the PURE setting is? I can't find anything in the manual. Urgh.

I'm upscaling the video coming out of my Cable Box (component video), and I must admit that I'm not very impressed with the results. The video I'm getting is very soft and blurry. I've been cycling through all the options available in the A PARAMETER, and I find that the best results are when I set it to PURE mode. I really hope that I'm missing something a setting here. I'm comparing to the upscaling results of my Yamaha 2700, and unfortunately the Yammy appears to be providing better results. =( I'm hoping those that have with this can comment. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I want to play videos and look at pictures via the IPOD cable. Here is what the manual says:

Quote:

Watching photos and video content
To view photos or video on your iPod, since video control is not possible using this receiver, you must use the main controls of your iPod instead.
  1. Press PHOTO to switch to the iPod controls for photo and video playback.
    The receiver controls will be unavailable while you are watching iPod videos or browsing photos.
  2. Press Photo again to switch back to the receiver controls when you're done.

There is no PHOTO button on the remote, so they must be talking about the PHOTO selection on the iPod screen. However, when I when the receiver is set to iPod the iPod controls are not accessible. The Ipod screen only says Pioneer...

Does anyone know what to set the receiver at so I can hit photo and watch Ipod videos?

I download the occasional tv show from itunes so it would be nice to play it on my TV. I have an iPod audio video cable which will allow me to do this, but it seems from the manual, I should be able to do this with the standard built in iPod connection.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #723 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Just got off the phone with Pioneer tech support regarding the 'changing inputs' issue when the receiver is turned on. Just to restate this for those with similar equipment, I've got a Pioneer Elite Pro 150 hooked up to the VSX-94.

With the HDMI control on the receiver set to 'on' and the receiver properly showing the HDMI 1 input (in my case my FIOS STB) all is well until you turn the system off. When you turn it back on, the receiver changes the input to "TV" and no picture is displayed. Since I have a Pioneer display, you want the receiver's HDMI control set to 'on' so that you can see the on-screen readout. I've even tried changing the order in which units are turned on to see if that helps. It doesn't.

Tech support claims there are a number of HDMI issues with both the 92 & 94.

These issues can be bypassed by following Paul's procedure (turn HDMI 'off' and then assign the HDMI input to the TV function for example. But of course you then lose your on-screen readout if you've got a Pioneer display.
post #724 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

Which Monitor Audio speakers did you get? I am thinking of getting the GS20 for the front, GSLCR for the center and GSFX for surrounds. These speakers have had unbelievable reviews.

Monitor Audio Gold Signature LCRs across the front in a perfect vertical orientation. I'm listening to Timbaland Presents Shock Value (tons of tight percussion and bass) right now with the 94TX running the GSLCRs as large with a 50hz crossover with my JL Audio Fathom f113 sub. It's un-freakin believable. Just the cleanest, crispest, tightest sounds I've ever heard from a system. The GS20s with a GSLCR and GSFX would be an awesome system.
(That's the 94TX on the bottom next to the center)
post #725 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

These issues can be bypassed by following Paul's procedure (turn HDMI 'off' and then assign the HDMI input to the TV function for example. But of course you then lose your on-screen readout if you've got a Pioneer display.

Ken, I haven't seen that on-screen readout, so I don't know how good or useful it is. But I have a Pioneer 6070 in my system (don't know if it works with that HDMI control), but I just prefer to use the input setup, works easier with my Harmony.
post #726 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Monitor Audio Gold Signature LCRs across the front in a perfect vertical orientation. I'm listening to Timbaland Presents Shock Value (tons of tight percussion and bass) right now with the 94TX running the GSLCRs as large with a 50hz crossover with my JL Audio Fathom f113 sub. It's un-freakin believable. Just the cleanest, crispest, tightest sounds I've ever heard from a system. The GS20s with a GSLCR and GSFX would be an awesome system.
(That's the 94TX on the bottom next to the center)

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who's had this reaction.

I've had the same experience with every SACD that I own. SACD via iLink through a 59TXi was nowhere near the experience I now have with SACD via HDMI through the 94. One would think that the 59TXi's internal DSD decoding and digital to analog conversion should better the 94, but it's not even close. I really hate to use this phrase, but the 94 really does blow away the 59TXi in this respect.

Good to hear you are liking those MA's. There is real life beyond Def Tech.
post #727 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

Good to hear you are liking those MA's. There is real life beyond Def Tech.

I know now! I once was lost, but now I'm found, huh?

And I agree, I'm extremely pleased with the 94TX. My only problem has been my Neural Direct being a hair flaky, giving me a "Track Not Found" sometimes for no apparent reason.
post #728 of 4953 Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Just got off the phone with Pioneer tech support regarding the 'changing inputs' issue when the receiver is turned on. Just to restate this for those with similar equipment, I've got a Pioneer Elite Pro 150 hooked up to the VSX-94.

With the HDMI control on the receiver set to 'on' and the receiver properly showing the HDMI 1 input (in my case my FIOS STB) all is well until you turn the system off. When you turn it back on, the receiver changes the input to "TV" and no picture is displayed. Since I have a Pioneer display, you want the receiver's HDMI control set to 'on' so that you can see the on-screen readout. I've even tried changing the order in which units are turned on to see if that helps. It doesn't.

Tech support claims there are a number of HDMI issues with both the 92 & 94.

I experienced the same thing. The only way I get it to work correctly is by turning the STB or PS3 on first, then the 94TXH, wait a few seconds until I hear a 'click', and lastly turning on the 150FD. Using these steps, HDMI x stays put and does not revert to the TV function.
post #729 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Jerry. The problem is I don't do this manually but instead have macros set up for it. That would require a really long delay until the 150 is turned on. I'll experiment some more. Pioneer appears very aware of these issues.
post #730 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by mahdlokg
Just curious with the last couple of posts discussing firmware. How does Pioneer handle firmware updates? I'm trying to find a receiver that I don't have to ship off to have them done? (BTW, are they handled the same for the 94, 92 and 91 models?) Thanks.

Any info on how Pioneer handles firmware updates? Thanks.

I'm beginning to think I'm behind on my club dues or something. Would someone mind letting me know how Pioneer handles firmware updates? I read that there was a major screw up on the 84 series, and wondered if anyone has an idea if Pio has addressed the issue with the 94 & 92 models?
post #731 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

Originally Posted by mahdlokg
Just curious with the last couple of posts discussing firmware. How does Pioneer handle firmware updates? I'm trying to find a receiver that I don't have to ship off to have them done? (BTW, are they handled the same for the 94, 92 and 91 models?) Thanks.

Any info on how Pioneer handles firmware updates? Thanks.

I'm beginning to think I'm behind on my club dues or something. Would someone mind letting me know how Pioneer handles firmware updates? I read that there was a major screw up on the 84 series, and wondered if anyone has an idea if Pio has addressed the issue with the 94 & 92 models?

Don't get a complex, it's not you. I didn't answer your questions because I kept hoping someone would have some definitive info.

I think the reason you haven't gotten a good answer is because we don't know. Last year's models required sending in to a service center and then there were only select centers that had the equipment to do the firmware upgrade.

We are *hopeful* that the 94TX can do firmware updates via ethernet. I think it was RobbW that said he could get to some type of firmware screen by going to the IP address of the receiver, but we're still not sure if you can update this way. And I think someone said that one Pioneer rep said he *thought* it was possible.

So unless someone knows more than I do, we're still not sure. I certainly understand not wanting to buy if you can't. I had to think real hard about it. I just didn't want to go over to Denon or Onkyo. Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh, and no, if the 94TX *can* update via ethernet, then obviously the 92 and 91 models would not be able to (since they lack the ethernet port). But that has led many to speculate that the 94TX cannot since they are built on the same platform. Take it for what it's worth.
post #732 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does anyone know if individual inputs can be level adjusted? I just don't see a way to do that.
post #733 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if individual inputs can be level adjusted? I just don't see a way to do that.

I don't think so. But what you could do is make an MCACC profile for each input and label it as BluRay, Cable, etc...Would be a bit of a hassle, but worth it if your sources differ that much.
post #734 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Pioneer VSX-94TXH

I Bi-amped my front speakers using the surround back hook ups. I have turned on the BI-Amp option in the surround back system menu. When the receiver is in "Stereo mode" I'm only getting sound through the tweeters. I assume the rear surround amp doesn't work in stereo mode? All other settings work fine...

Thanks..
post #735 of 4953 Old 10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoppbl View Post

Pioneer VSX-94TXH

I Bi-amped my front speakers using the surround back hook ups. I have turned on the BI-Amp option in the surround back system menu. When the receiver is in "Stereo mode" I'm only getting sound through the tweeters. I assume the rear surround amp doesn't work in stereo mode? All other settings work fine...

Thanks..

Uh oh, that's not good. I'm considering the VSX-92 and doing the bi-amp. But I run a turntable and universal player and do a lot of 2-channel listening. Need to get to the bottom of this question.

post #736 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 AM

Question regarding SR+ cable, I'm trying to purchase one from the Pioneer website,
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=ADE7095

Does it matter what application by model we choose? What should I choose for the 94TXH, does this really matter?
post #737 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else tried bi-amping the 94 or the 92? Thanks.
post #738 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lereyes1 View Post

Question regarding SR+ cable, I'm trying to purchase one from the Pioneer website,
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=ADE7095

Does it matter what application by model we choose? What should I choose for the 94TXH, does this really matter?

Good question. I've been considering that too given the on-screen graphics/HDMI issue I'm having with the Pro 150 and the VSX-94. I just find it bizarre that 2 HDMI 1.3 components from the same company can't play well together.

I'm thinking I might be able to work around this issue with an SR+ cable, but I have to check and see if the Pro 150 can even accept that cable.

P.S. Just looked at the manual and they mention basic mono sound cables with mini-plugs in lieu of SR+ cables. They don't explain the functional difference though.
post #739 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lereyes1 View Post

I just bought the ADE7095 SR+ at the Pioneer site. I need to fish it through my wall up to my 150FD from my 94txh. Once I do this and test I'll report back.

I see a big PITA problem with wall mounts - running a new connection to the TV is a project. I think I may run a string along with the cable so the next time I want to run a new line I can tie it to the string and pull it through the wall.

post #740 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

On the SR+ I found the control out for the receiver, but it doesn't seem that the SR+ has a control in on my 150FD TV???? All the TV has is a control out connection.

post #741 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

It depends on the display -Pioneer Plasma. The new Kuro's can display volume, etc via HDMI connection. Older Pioneer Displays will need the SR+ connection.

Maybe I don't need an SR+ to display volume. How do I turn this feature on so I can see volume changes from my pioneer receiver via the HDMI cable?

post #742 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mamasboy, this is the problem I've been having with my 94 & Pro 150. To get the volume display, you need to have the HDMI control on the receiver set to 'on'. My problem is that when I do that, the receiver 'forgets' what input it was last on when I turn it back on. It goes to an unused "TV" input...very annoying. No matter what sequence of component turn on I use, the receiver just goes back to "TV" when I turn it on.

The only workaround is to assign the HDMI inputs to the "TV", "DVD" etc. 1 button inputs. In doing so you need to turn off the HDMI control, but when you do that you can kiss your on-screen graphic goodbye.

I actually tried a stereo miniplug cable as an SR+ cable. It worked to an extent in that it gave me on-screen volume, but that control behaved erratically. When the on-screen graphic came on, it stayed at whatever it was regardless of whether I raised or lowered the volume. The volume would get louder or softer, but the on-screen stayed at the same # it was when it first appeared. I'm going to try the suggest '3 ringed' miniplug and see if that works.
post #743 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi I'm new to this thread but I have something to say about the SR+ serial connection for distributing the IR signals.
All plasma displays have only a out.
When connected with the 4 conductor jack to the receiver IN the IR photo cell on the receiver is disiabled and all IR traffic will travel from the display photo cell to the components installed in the serial bus. For the receiver all the info is displayed on the screen (volume and various settings). The receiver also can switch the plasma inputs as asigned in the receiver input setup.
But you have to turn off HDMI control and hit the SR+ button on the remote in receiver mode. SR+ indicator will be lit.
post #744 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecall View Post

For the receiver all the info is displayed on the screen (volume and various settings). The receiver also can switch the plasma inputs as asigned in the receiver input setup.
But you have to turn off HDMI control and hit the SR+ button on the remote in receiver mode. SR+ indicator will be lit.

I did SR+ out on the TV to SR+ in on the receiver. I went to other options on the receiver settings and turned SR+ on but still no on screen volume.

I also tried the "HDMI control on" with SR+ off method but nothing changes when I do that either.

I guess I need a step by step, am sure I must be doing something wrong. The manual is very sketch on setting this up.

post #745 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

I did SR+ out on the TV to SR+ in on the receiver. I went to other options on the receiver settings and turned SR+ on but still no on screen volume.

I also tried the "HDMI control on" with SR+ off method but nothing changes when I do that either.

I guess I need a step by step, am sure I must be doing something wrong. The manual is very sketch on setting this up.

A sales dude told me the 94 will not output the volume level on-screen if the receiver is outputting 1080p but it does display it at 1080i.
post #746 of 4953 Old 10-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I have an HR20 DirectDVR which outputs to a max of 1080i and can't get on screen volume at any resolution.

post #747 of 4953 Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

I have an HR20 DirectDVR which outputs to a max of 1080i and can't get on screen volume at any resolution.

Do any of the new receivers have on-screen volume at 1080i or p resolutions? I mean how hard can it be to do this (seems like a no-brainer to me)?
post #748 of 4953 Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If connected to a Pioneer display you can get on-screen volume. If not connected to a Pioneer display, you can still get it via SR+ cables if your display supports it.
post #749 of 4953 Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If connected to a Pioneer display you can get on-screen volume. If not connected to a Pioneer display, you can still get it via SR+ cables if your display supports it.

I have the 94 on order from BestBuy due in this week. So I should be able to get the on-screen volume on my Pioneer Pro 150FD right?
post #750 of 4953 Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

I checked the "Stereo" mode without BI-Amping and eveything worked fine. When you BI-Amp the stereo mode doe not work, it must be only sending a signal through the front speakers and not the rear surround. The direct and pure direct does work as well as all other processed signals.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page