Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

You can turn on the surrounds backs when you want to. On the remote is an SB button to do this. It has an auto/off or on mode. Auto detects if the track has one, on leaves them on all the time and off does the opposite. On the pioneer, the screen will say, PCM + PLxII for example when you use the rear speakers. I have the same setup, but did not use them that often, as it is not part of the soundtrack and sometimes sounds off. But on any BD discs with 7.1 soundtracks, the Pioneer distrubites it beautifully.

So does this mean when you're playing a Dolby Digital soundtrack by HDMI by turing on the back speakers it will player it as a Dolby Digital EX sountrack like my Pioneer Elite 49-TXI does.

Also when you're playing a DTS soundrack by HDMI by turning on the back speakers it puts it into DTS-ES soundtrack like my current flagship Pioneer Elite reciever does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

It's a temporary thing. I've been able to connect to Neural music Direct many times with my 94. Neural Direct is great, by the way; the multichannel sound is fantastic.

So it is not the Pio, it is the source?
post #183 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDov View Post

Hey all, I just got my 94TXH yesterday, and I've gotten everything pretty much the way I want it. Two questions though, that I couldn't find the answer to in the manual:

1. Is there any way to control the input level of each individual source? Some of my sources are louder than others, and besides the analog attenuation, I didn't see any way to change their volume other than the master volume control. This seems like a very basic feature that even my Sony TV gave me.

2. Is there any way to set up an audio-only source as a monitor input? In my situation, I'd like to be able to play music from my Apple TV (using its RCA outputs, whereas I'm using HDMI for the main video and picture) while, say, playing a video game on another input. Or even listening to FM radio while watching video from another input. I had a Pioneer a while back that I know did this.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

This is my largest gripe with the Pioneer receiver at this time. There is no way to use a separate audio or video source unless you connect and assign these inputs on your receiver. For example, I have my PS3 connected with HDMI to my "BD" input. I also assigned a coaxial input from my cable box so I can press the "Signal Select" button to listen to audio from my cable box.

The VSX-94TXH, as far as I can tell, does not allow for the independent selection of audio and video sources like its previous receivers.

So, at least for the Apple TV, you can assign the analog audio inputs to the same input your video-game console is on and use the "Signal Select" button to switch between the assigned audio inputs (HDMI->Digital->Analog). As far as I can tell, there is no way to listen to FM/Streaming audio with a different video source.

Okay, that works for my second question - thanks. Any ideas on my first, though? Is there any way to adjust the levels of individual sources?
post #184 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone east of the mississippi got a 94 yet?
Tweeter has again pushed their expected date to receive one to the end of Sept. I must admit I am frustrated but hangin in there.
Part of my conversation with the manager has been whether or not anyone that has gotten one has done so from the east coast, I am aware of the Magnolia finds just not east coasters...
Help

Part II

Is there an alternate to the Pio series that folks are happy with under $2k?
post #185 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

So does this mean when you're playing a Dolby Digital soundtrack by HDMI by turing on the back speakers it will player it as a Dolby Digital EX sountrack like my Pioneer Elite 49-TXI does.

Also when you're playing a DTS soundrack by HDMI by turning on the back speakers it puts it into DTS-ES soundtrack like my current flagship Pioneer Elite reciever does?

It basically turns it into those soundtracks, like your current one does.
post #186 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramimac View Post

ok first thing Cat7 does not exist.

second thing do a test some time. copy a large file over 10/100 and then gigbit on a home switch.

there won't be a noticable diffrence in speed.

Wireless in the 'G' format is more than enough for streaming audio.

Quote:

Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Designed for transmission at frequencies up to 600 MHz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable

I prefer wired, since I run a Super-G Turbo wireless network and do not want the rest of my network gimped by the slower G format.
post #187 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Liked: 147
Does it upscale analog sources to analog outputs?

For example, my current TV has component input, but no HDMI. I want to upscale from my s-video and component input to my component output.
post #188 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

Tweeter has again pushed their expected date to receive one to the end of Sept. I must admit I am frustrated but hangin in there.
Part of my conversation with the manager has been whether or not anyone that has gotten one has done so from the east coast, I am aware of the Magnolia finds just not east coasters...
Help

Part II

I live in NYC and just got mine from an almost-Magnolia in a Best Buy here (it's under construction and almost completed, so they're able to order the stuff) this past week.
post #189 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM

I've seen a few previous posts inquiring as to the comparison of the performance between the Sony 5300 and the Pio 94. The 5300 got a great review from Cnet....and aside from the extra HDMI inputs....I'd be curious to know if Pio used the same "Cortez" series faroudja chip that Sony did or if it used the cheaper 2310. It sounds like the Pio has great sound depth (from other reviewers) so if the same upscaling chip was used I think the Pio would get my vote. Any other members know the answer?

Thx in advance
post #190 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDov View Post

Okay, that works for my second question - thanks. Any ideas on my first, though? Is there any way to adjust the levels of individual sources?

I have not seen a per source adjustments on the receiver. One thing I have not tried doing, however, is changing the MCAAC assignments. There is a good possibility that you can adjust your channel levels (better than nothing) with a different MCAAC assignment.
post #191 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Many people are talking about the Integra DTC-9.8 which can be purchased for 1600 MSRP. The Onkyo NR-ST905 can also be had for slightly over 2k MSRP.
post #192 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I got mine last week at BB/Mag in Northern VA

--orccro
post #193 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Still trying to get my HDMI>DVI cable to work with my Panny BD player and my Hitachi TV HDCP compliant DVI input. So far after hooking up the HDMI output of the Panny BD to the HDMI input of the 94 (and properly assigning the input) and then outputting via the HDMI>DVI cable to my Hitachi display I still get no picture and no audio. However when I pull the HDMI>DVI cable to the Hitachi I get surround audio and of course no video. When I rehook up the HDMI>DVI cable from the 94 to the Hitachi DVI input, about 50% of the time I get the audio as well as the video. However when I change inputs and return to the HDMI input of the BD, picture and audio are gone....very frustrating....any ideas out there????

Note HDMI>DVI cable from Panny BD to Hitachi TV DVI input (bypassing 94) displays DVD video perfectly
post #194 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

I like my local tweeter store, but can't keep holding on to something that keeps shifting. I am worried that at the end of Sept it will say end of Oct!

I am frustrated about this big time.
post #195 of 4953 Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM

I called my local Tweeter (Altamonte Springs, FL) and they gave me the same story ... end of Sep. Called the nearby Best Buy and they had one in stock; 20 minutes later it was mine.

The 94 is simply awesome! Haven't seen anything about being able to do firmware upgrades on it ... would be nice. Only gripe is the remote doesn't have a light; the glow-in-the-dark part, honestly, is a bit toyish for an Elite unit.

HDMI switching so far has been flawless (PS3, SA 8300HD, Sony DVD, XBOX360 Elite), no hiccups, HDCP problems or sync issues.
post #196 of 4953 Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCerFrek View Post

I have a Logitech Harmony 880 remote and thankfully Logitech had all the 94's controls already in place so it was very easy getting it setup.

I was on the phone last night for well over an hour with two tiers of Logitech Harmony support. I have the 880 too. I found that they didn't have 1/3 of the inputs available to be learned even on the site. Notably missing were two of the four HDMI's and both sat. radios.

I tried to explain to the second tier guy (named Steven) that Pioneer had published all the IR codes as well as provided a MXF files, but they insisted that they wanted me to spend another several hours teaching their system and remote how to control our favorite receiver.

Although Pioneer's PDF (VSX-94TXH IR Code List) has the codes, to directly and discreetly select an input such as HDMI 1 (A55E+A5CA), HDMI 2 (A55E+A5CB) and so on, Harmony insisted they could not use those codes and their remote had to learn from the VSX-94TXH remote. But when I told them that there was no way on the remote to directly select - say HDMI 3. They said, they would have to toggle though the inputs to get to the input I wanted. (The remote can do this automatically.)

The following is from the Harmony Setup Dialogue:

Method 1: Select this method if there is only one source input button on the remote, and each time the button is pushed the next input label is cycled to in a set order.

Method 2: Select this method if the remote has labeled buttons like VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, and each button displays a unique source input label on the screen.

Method 3 and 4 are about TVs.

From what I can see, the 94 uses a combination of both method 1 and method 2. While you can pick iPod directly, you have to shift-HDMI to get to HDMI 1 though HDMI 4.

They had the following list of inputs: Tuner, DVD, CD, hdmi 1, hdmi 2, MULTI-CH IN, HOME MEDIA G, VCR. (I added hdmi 3 and hdmi 4) But in actuality we have...

DVD
BD
TV
DVR/VCR 1
DVR/VCR 2
VIDEO/GAME 1
VIDEO/GAME 2
HDMI 1
HDMI 2
HDMI 3
HDMI 4
HOME MEDIA GALLERY
XM RADIO
SIRIUS
CD
CD-R/TAPE
TUNER
PHONO
MULTI-CH IN A55E+A506
iPod

Needless to say, any one using the Harmony to select HDMI 3 would be out of luck.

Now, the phone support guy claimed to have over 300 users in their database that had "VSX-94TXH" as their receiver. (WOW!) But NONE of the them had more than two HDMI's (HDMI 1 and HDMI 2). Ifg I was correct and the receiver had four HDMI inputs, and the toggle method was used, none of them would have functioning remotes. I was called everything short of a liar, because of this. Until I pleaded that he check out the Pioneer site.

So finally, we were on track again. The tech was going to add all the inputs, but the system wouldn't let him. He was going to have to contact a third tier of support and they would get back to me via email.

I was also unable to use the receiver to play "Digital Music even though the Home Media Gallery, iPod, XM and Sirius should all fall into that category.

So my question is... Is there anyone with the Logitech Harmony 880 and the Pioneer VSX-94TXH that has it set up and working correctly?

Maybe the real question is, what remote should I be using to control my system?

Mark
post #197 of 4953 Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitflt View Post

I was on the phone last night for well over an hour with two tiers of Logitech Harmony support. I have the 880 too. I found that they didn't have 1/3 of the inputs available to be learned even on the site. Notably missing were two of the four HDMI's and both sat. radios.

I tried to explain to the second tier guy (named Steven) that Pioneer had published all the IR codes as well as provided a MXF files, but they insisted that they wanted me to spend another several hours teaching their system and remote how to control our favorite receiver.

Although Pioneer's PDF (VSX-94TXH IR Code List) has the codes, to directly and discreetly select an input such as HDMI 1 (A55E+A5CA), HDMI 2 (A55E+A5CB) and so on, Harmony insisted they could not use those codes and their remote had to learn from the VSX-94TXH remote. But when I told them that there was no way on the remote to directly select - say HDMI 3. They said, they would have to toggle though the inputs to get to the input I wanted. (The remote can do this automatically.)

The following is from the Harmony Setup Dialogue:

Method 1: Select this method if there is only one source input button on the remote, and each time the button is pushed the next input label is cycled to in a set order.

Method 2: Select this method if the remote has labeled buttons like VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, and each button displays a unique source input label on the screen.

Method 3 and 4 are about TVs.

From what I can see, the 94 uses a combination of both method 1 and method 2. While you can pick iPod directly, you have to shift-HDMI to get to HDMI 1 though HDMI 4.

They had the following list of inputs: Tuner, DVD, CD, hdmi 1, hdmi 2, MULTI-CH IN, HOME MEDIA G, VCR. (I added hdmi 3 and hdmi 4) But in actuality we have...

DVD
BD
TV
DVR/VCR 1
DVR/VCR 2
VIDEO/GAME 1
VIDEO/GAME 2
HDMI 1
HDMI 2
HDMI 3
HDMI 4
HOME MEDIA GALLERY
XM RADIO
SIRIUS
CD
CD-R/TAPE
TUNER
PHONO
MULTI-CH IN A55E+A506
iPod

Needless to say, any one using the Harmony to select HDMI 3 would be out of luck.

Now, the phone support guy claimed to have over 300 users in their database that had "VSX-94TXH" as their receiver. (WOW!) But NONE of the them had more than two HDMI's (HDMI 1 and HDMI 2). Ifg I was correct and the receiver had four HDMI inputs, and the toggle method was used, none of them would have functioning remotes. I was called everything short of a liar, because of this. Until I pleaded that he check out the Pioneer site.

So finally, we were on track again. The tech was going to add all the inputs, but the system wouldn't let him. He was going to have to contact a third tier of support and they would get back to me via email.

I was also unable to use the receiver to play "Digital Music even though the Home Media Gallery, iPod, XM and Sirius should all fall into that category.

So my question is... Is there anyone with the Logitech Harmony 880 and the Pioneer VSX-94TXH that has it set up and working correctly?

Maybe the real question is, what remote should I be using to control my system?

Mark

I should clarify. Logitech had everything I needed to make my system work properly. Based on your experience I fall into the category of right now only using 2 of the HDMI inputs(havent upgraded to a 360 Elite or bought a seperate HDDVD drive yet). I have my DVR and PS3 plugged into HDMI, 360 plugged via component, and Wii plugged via component. This weekend I'm going to set up the macro to use the HMG(which I have working through the normal remote).
post #198 of 4953 Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Anyone try the Advanced MCACC software (v1.4) on the 94 yet? I've been unable to get it to do a successful receive yet. Wonder if it needs a newer version of the software, of course not listed yet for the 94 ... http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...707334,00.html
post #199 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 AM

Can you also use the bass & treble tone controls when using the HDMI?
post #200 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSfan99 View Post

Anyone try the Advanced MCACC software (v1.4) on the 94 yet? I've been unable to get it to do a successful receive yet. Wonder if it needs a newer version of the software, of course not listed yet for the 94 ... http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...707334,00.html

Yes, I've used the MCACC software on the 94 and it works fine. Just did the automatic setup using it and checked the speaker distances and sizes it assigned, which were all accurate except for my sub which it thought was about 4 feet further away from the microphone location than it really is. I corrected it manually.
post #201 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 AM

I was referring to the Advanced MCACC program that runs on Windows (you plug your PC to the RS232 port on the back of the rcvr, run the app and try to receive data). See the link from my previous note.
post #202 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Question on the 94? I currently have the Elite TSXi 84 and was wondering what the advantages are... Since a lot of devices are using 1080p signal like Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and upscaling DVD players, why is the upscaling needed in these receivers.. I mean I can see upscaling the Wii or Xbox 360 but my Projector does this and so does the Oppo DVD player I have along with my Blu-Ray player etc... Just curious, seems like it would cause more HDMI handshake issues, which did happen with my unit till they upgraded the firmware. I guess HDMI 1.3 would be an advantage down the road, just wondering if this is overkill...
post #203 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Question on the 94? I currently have the Elite TSXi 84 and was wondering what the advantages are... Since a lot of devices are using 1080p signal like Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and upscaling DVD players, why is the upscaling needed in these receivers.. I mean I can see upscaling the Wii or Xbox 360 but my Projector does this and so does the Oppo DVD player I have along with my Blu-Ray player etc... Just curious, seems like it would cause more HDMI handshake issues, which did happen with my unit till they upgraded the firmware. I guess HDMI 1.3 would be an advantage down the road, just wondering if this is overkill...

Because there are still people like myself that have a large laserdisc collection. But I must say the verdict is still out as far as the upscaling goes for me.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #204 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM

My HMG worked well for two days without me configuring any parameters...today all I get are empty folders and server error.....can any body help out????
post #205 of 4953 Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Ok, I had a 84TXsi and I want to replace it with a 94thx.
Problem is with 84 I had 7 "video" inputs that I could choose using input select buttons (DVD, TV, SAT, Video 1, Video 2, DVR1, DVR2).
With 94thx however, I only have 5 video input that can picked using input select buttons (DVD, TV, BD, DVR1 and DVR2). if I want to select other video inputs, I have to "cycle" through them using either HDMI inputs or input-select button. For the life of me, I do not understand why I need two inputs for hi-def radio when they have taken away two of video inputs.

Is there any way I can reassign keys that say iPOD, SIRUS, or XM Radio to some other inputs such as video 1?
post #206 of 4953 Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 AM

Liked: 19
I know this receiver won't upscale 720p or 1080i, but it can accept those resolutions and convert them to the same res in HDMI.

So can it take 1080p over component and output it as 1080p over HDMI? Just curious as I have an older Xbox360 w/o HDMI and it supports 1080p over component.

[2007]Supporter of both HD DVD and Blu-ray - a win/win solution.[/2007] [2008]... erm...  Say... anyone wanna buy some HD-DVDs?[/2008]

post #207 of 4953 Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Coupe View Post

I know this receiver won't upscale 720p or 1080i, but it can accept those resolutions and convert them to the same res in HDMI.

So can it take 1080p over component and output it as 1080p over HDMI? Just curious as I have an older Xbox360 w/o HDMI and it supports 1080p over component.

It will upscale 720P or 1080I to a 1080P capable source. I thought 1080P was only an HDMI resolution. As far as I know, 1080P can only be achieved through HDMI, not component. Do you mean, can it take a 1080i rez through component and output it as 1080P through HDMI output? The answer to that is yes. The 94 only upconverts analog signals, component, s-video, etc, through an HDMI output.
post #208 of 4953 Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

Could you explain the manual then when it says this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=94
post #209 of 4953 Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

It will upscale 720P or 1080I to a 1080P capable source.

Interesting - I thought it just transcoded to the same res in HDMI, as the other DCDi based receivers (Onkyo 805, denon 3808) do. [edit] bwclark posted as I was writing this post. Link above confirms it does not upscale 720p/1080i to 1080p [/edit]

Quote:

I thought 1080P was only an HDMI resolution.

Technically, yes (well, HDMI and DVI anyway). But some devices (including the Xbox 360) can output 1080p over component.

So that was my question - can it accept 1080p over component and output it as 1080p over HDMI.

[2007]Supporter of both HD DVD and Blu-ray - a win/win solution.[/2007] [2008]... erm...  Say... anyone wanna buy some HD-DVDs?[/2008]

post #210 of 4953 Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Has anyone been able to view HDMI video, say from a PC with a DVI to HDMI cable, while listening to audio from coax or optical, say from that same PC. I cannot get this to work, even though my Input Source is configured to do this. Is there some trick or setting to make after configuring these connections for a source?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page