Sell my Denon 3805 and buy an Onkyo SR805?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using this reciever for the last year or so and it works great however all my components (HD-DVR, PS3, and XBOX360 elite) use HDMI, I'm currently using a HDMI switch but would rather just run everything through my AVR.. I believe I also would gain some nice features by running HDMI through the Onkyo especially with the PS3 and it's blu ray player, is this correct? I also have the Xbox 360 HD DVD add on and am considering getting a Toshiba A20 or Oppo for SD. I was looking at the 605 and 705 models but have decided on the 805 if I make the switch, I have a 7.1 setup with Diva Swan 6.1, C3, R1, and 2.1, they like power so I thought the 805 would also be a good upgrade in that department.

If I sell my Denon and get the Onkyo I'm only looking at around $300 total for the upgrade, what do you guys think?

PSN: havuk
XBL: havuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

no opinions???

post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM

I've had a Denon 3805 for over two years now. In my opinion, it's a very good receiver. Like you, the only feature I'm missing is HDMI.

The new Onkyo beats the 3805 on features/processing big time. The question that remains is how do they compare in the audio department? The SR-805 is debuting with an MSRP of $1099, the 3805 debuted at $1199. Price usually doesn't say much, but it's clear these two receivers are targeted at the same market segment. Of course, the 3805 was one of the first receivers with Denon 3rd Link and was marketed as a quality receiver for SACD/DVD-Audio so it may or may not have a better sound than the Onkyo which is more HT biased.

In the end, you have to make the decision. I'd suggest buying the Onkyo from a place with a free/low-cost return policy and trying out both the SR-805 and the 3805 for a few days and seeing if there's anything you feel you're losing by giving up the Denon. If not, kept the Onkyo and sell the Denon. If yes, then it's up to you to decide if the HDMI features/audio processing of the SR-805 overshadows whatever you feel you are losing.

Keep in mind that the 3805 isn't selling for much in the second hand market anymore either. I routinely see them go for between $300 and $450 on this forum as well as on Ebay. It might cost you a bit more than $300 to grab the Onkyo in the end.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I found a sr805 for $799 shipped and decided to sell my Denon on ebay, got $500 believe it or not. I think I'm going to research a little more and order the 805 unless I find a better alternative.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcho View Post

Thanks for the reply I found a sr805 for $799 shipped and decided to sell my Denon on ebay, got $500 believe it or not. I think I'm going to research a little more and order the 805 unless I find a better alternative.

I plan on doing the same as you only I'm interested in the 905. $500 seems to be the going rate for the 3805 on eBay.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page