Outlaw Amps Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 98 Unread Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I have a little issue and need advice.

I swapped over to a Marantz AV7702, Klipsch RF7II fronts and the 7500 at the same time. XT32 is setting my center bottomed out at -12, and the fronts at -9db. Before, with my XPA-3 and smaller towers (one step down from RF7's) my fronts were -4 and the center was -9.

I am currently using RCA's, would the difference in gain on the XLR (34db vs 28db) have any affect here? Or is my only option an attenuator on the RCA's? I guess this is just the product of a highly efficient speaker and a powerful amp. I'll also admit I do not understand a lot about that difference in gain.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Unread Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I have a little issue and need advice.

I swapped over to a Marantz AV7702, Klipsch RF7II fronts and the 7500 at the same time. XT32 is setting my center bottomed out at -12, and the fronts at -9db. Before, with my XPA-3 and smaller towers (one step down from RF7's) my fronts were -4 and the center was -9.

I am currently using RCA's, would the difference in gain on the XLR (34db vs 28db) have any affect here? Or is my only option an attenuator on the RCA's? I guess this is just the product of a highly efficient speaker and a powerful amp. I'll also admit I do not understand a lot about that difference in gain.
Sounds like it may be an issue with the sub's level control. How is the sub channel being set in comparison to the fronts?
post #93 of 98 Unread Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I set them individually in the menu at 74-75db (I have two), and then when complete the subs were -9.0, a little less than the fronts.

Are you thinking bring the gain down on the sub, to say 70db, and then running. For reason I did not think they affected each other, being audyssey does what it can to set each one at 75db individually.

Panamax MR5100
post #94 of 98 Unread Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
I set them individually in the menu at 74-75db (I have two), and then when complete the subs were -9.0, a little less than the fronts.

Are you thinking bring the gain down on the sub, to say 70db, and then running. For reason I did not think they affected each other, being audyssey does what it can to set each one at 75db individually.
I'd let Audyssey set the levels as a starting point and see what happens. But I'd also turn the sub's gain down first. Do that at the sub, not in the Marantz. I've found that auto setup routines seem to work best when the sub is set so that it winds up close to 0db in the results.

Anyhow, let Audyssey set levels and try using that for a while, see if you like the results. Put the db meter away for now. Levels are relative, so it doesn't really mater what they are as long as they are correctly adjusted in relation to each other.
post #95 of 98 Unread Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'd let Audyssey set the levels as a starting point and see what happens. But I'd also turn the sub's gain down first. Do that at the sub, not in the Marantz. I've found that auto setup routines seem to work best when the sub is set so that it winds up close to 0db in the results.

Anyhow, let Audyssey set levels and try using that for a while, see if you like the results. Put the db meter away for now. Levels are relative, so it doesn't really mater what they are as long as they are correctly adjusted in relation to each other.
I actually went up on the sub gain because audyssey gave me an error and said to get them higher. I can override that and put each back down a little. Maybe that will solve the issue.

My only concern here is -12 is as far as it can go down, so the new center (if it needs more adjustment) won't be able to do it. Center being 2 db higher than fronts would be a little issue.

Thanks for the input, the sub adjustment is an easy try, and its free!

Panamax MR5100
post #96 of 98 Unread Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I actually went up on the sub gain because audyssey gave me an error and said to get them higher. I can override that and put each back down a little. Maybe that will solve the issue.

My only concern here is -12 is as far as it can go down, so the new center (if it needs more adjustment) won't be able to do it. Center being 2 db higher than fronts would be a little issue.

Thanks for the input, the sub adjustment is an easy try, and its free!
Yes, this is a product of having a mix of very efficient speakers with some that are not as efficient. Audyssey can only go down to -12 (and yours may need -18 or so). The best way since you're using outboard amps is to and an attenuator in line with the speakers (your center in this case). Harrison Labs makes several, not sure which one you'll need (-3db, -6db, and -12db).

12db: http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-244

6db: http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-242
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison labs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	685209  
gadgtfreek likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #97 of 98 Unread Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Yes, this is a product of having a mix of very efficient speakers with some that are not as efficient. Audyssey can only go down to -12 (and yours may need -18 or so). The best way since you're using outboard amps is to and an attenuator in line with the speakers (your center in this case). Harrison Labs makes several, not sure which one you'll need (-3db, -6db, and -12db).

12db: http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-244

6db: http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-242
Thanks!

learning a lot this week.

At the advice of audyssey I used my checkmate SPL meter for some testing. I found the fronts to both be right around 75db, and the center was mayb 1/2db to a db louder. I am gonna go with the 6db model.

Panamax MR5100
post #98 of 98 Unread Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Another issue I want to report is my 7500, as my 7125 did, is going thru waves of hum. The 7125 wasnt that loud but the 7500 can be VERY loud in a quiet room.

Thru testing, I found it to be directly related to whether the plasma was on or not, and the brighter the scene (more power consumption) the worse the hum. Doing more reading, it seems plasmas, especially pannys, can introduce DC voltage into the line. Using a multimeter I found this to be the case when the plasma was on, and it really went wonky on bright scenes.

I ordered a CMX-2 from emotiva since it is high current and is supposed to directly address the DC issue.

Panamax MR5100
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page