Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Are you sure new 7002s have the latest firmware?

I can't remember if anyone has reported the firmware on a 7002 lately.

I would think they would both have the new firmwares, but I am not sure.

It would depend on how much turnover the vendor has, as to when one would have new stock.

Hi QZ1,

No, I have no clue if 7002 has the new firmware, so it was only an assumption given the newer version of 8002 has new firmware.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Wow, I was thinking of getting the 8002 or the new pre/pro as they seem the very similar on the pre/amp side of things. But with all the reported bugs and firmware updates you have to send in for, I might just keep my Pioneer 94 for some time.

I think "all" is a bit of an overstatement. There are 2 bugs, one with Audyssey that has a very simple work-around. The other is the more serious one with the DTS-MA decoding that Yamaha, Onkyo and Integra all have as well. Marantz has apparently already issued a firmware update to fix both problems.

You win on sending it in for updates, though.

I came very close to buying the Pio 94, btw. An excellent choice on your part. For me, the Marantz sounded better, especially when it came to clarity and detail. Frankly, in the end it wasn't even close, which is probably why I tend to defend the Marantz (not their CS). It just sounds too damn good to take off anyone's list of choices.
post #3033 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Liked: 11
would you know what firmware version has the fixes ?

UPS is picking my 7002 up and i hope this update fixes everything and nothing else crops up later
i really do like this unit -

the version i have on it now is - HDMI ver. H30

can any one confirm what version is the fixed one ?

just curious to know -
thanks
post #3034 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

UPDATE - i got a TAG for UPS to pick it up tomorrow - which is fast - thats great - i am going to pack it up in a few
mintues -

so far - its looking good for service dept. - i figure they get it on friday since its going to NJ and i am in NY -
...snip

I'm in Queens and I just drove mine into the service center in NYC.

Technetron Electronic Inc
39 East 29th Street
(Between Park Avenue & Madison Avenue)New York, NY 10016 USA
(212) 725-8778

I dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up in a week. It was ready in a few days, but I didn't want to lug it on the LIRR like I did in the past!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3035 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

Question for those who have Toshiba HD-A35, XA1/2 type of HD DVD players or any other players having internal losseless audio decoders with the analog multichannel outputs:

Does any one, from their own experimental experience, can confirm that the audio quality from analog outputs versus audio sending through HDMI to be encoded by Marantz receiver would be at least similar and not worst?

For a while, I had 8001, 8002, and Denon 3808. So I went through gyrations to see if bitstream vs (decoded) LPCM made any difference. I tried it with U571, 300, and a few other movies. I'm not a trained audiophile or anything, but I'll be damned if I could tell any difference between 8001 PCM, 8002 PCM/Bitstream, and Denon bitstreamed. Mind you, XA2 had a bass management bug which was easy to spot. But once I worked around that (then later fixed with a FW upgrade) I could not tell at all.

In the end, my 8001 went to my vacation home and chose the 3808 for my primary AVR. I actually preferred the sound of 8001/2 by a smidgen, but having gone through two FW upgrade hassles with Marantz, I didn't want to deal with it on the 8002.

The hassles weren't with Marantz (other than them being mum on release notes) but rather connecting/disconnecting lugging it all over the city to the service center.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3036 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

would you know what firmware version has the fixes ?

UPS is picking my 7002 up and i hope this update fixes everything and nothing else crops up later
i really do like this unit -

the version i have on it now is - HDMI ver. H30

can any one confirm what version is the fixed one ?

just curious to know -
thanks

Me? No, I don't know about the firmware fixes. I'm going on other peoples posts for the FW. I don't have BR yet and I'm not using Audyssey so I don't feel the need to get the update. I imagine I may get it updated some day. I've got a service center about 1.5 hours away so at least I won't have to ship it.
post #3037 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM

yeah i agree - the hassle of the disconnecting etc.
packing it up - i really didnt want to lug this around at all -

i did this thru email with the owners circle - i never called them and i am pretty sure they are taking it back to NJ to do the fix - why i dont know if there was a place closer by in NYC - thats strange - i am not paying for the shipping either way - they set this up this way - gave me a choice of sending me a label and i carry it in to the UPS store or have UPS pick it up - - never mentioned about the closer place in NYC - all well - i dont mind door to door service
post #3038 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah i agree - the hassle of the disconnecting etc.
packing it up - i really didnt want to lug this around at all -

i did this thru email with the owners circle - i never called them and i am pretty sure they are taking it back to NJ to do the fix - why i dont know if there was a place closer by in NYC - thats strange - i am not paying for the shipping either way - they set this up this way - gave me a choice of sending me a label and i carry it in to the UPS store or have UPS pick it up - - never mentioned about the closer place in NYC - all well - i dont mind door to door service

Weird is right. Actually, I had enough inputs on my TV that I reprogrammed the MX900 remote. So when I did the upgrade, it wasn't too painful. It was just a hassle I didn't want to go through once a year.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3039 of 5089 Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Me? No, I don't know about the firmware fixes. I'm going on other peoples posts for the FW. I don't have BR yet and I'm not using Audyssey so I don't feel the need to get the update. I imagine I may get it updated some day. I've got a service center about 1.5 hours away so at least I won't have to ship it.

i was thinking of not doing it also - since i dont have a blu ray either - but was planning on getting one now - so i figure i might as well get it done now - get it over with and i should have both the 7002 and blu ray player at the same time -

i just wish marantz would have posted something on there site - with instructions etc. on what to do or call for the fix to be done -
post #3040 of 5089 Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM

hansangb, thanks for your answer.
Just to make a bit clearer. The most interesting is to compare an analog output from DVD player (audio decoded internally and passed to receiver's analog inputs) to audio decoded and processed inside the Marantz.
Not to compare PCM vs Bistream.
In other words to compare SQ of audio coming from player's an internal decoders and audio being processed by the receiver decoders.

I am deciding which receiver to get:
1. Marantz with HDMI, internally decoding lossless audio
2. Possibly higher SQ receiver such Arcam or Rotel with no capability to decode lossless audio, only receiving through analog inputs.
post #3041 of 5089 Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Why does the 8001 receiver from Marantz weigh about 15 pounds more than the 8002 does?

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #3042 of 5089 Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

Why does the 8001 receiver from Marantz weigh about 15 pounds more than the 8002 does?

They weigh the same..... 33.1 lbs! Were are you getting our information?!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #3043 of 5089 Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Just wondering if any one else has other opinions on this?
post #3044 of 5089 Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hansangb, thanks for your answer.
Just to make a bit clearer. The most interesting is to compare an analog output from DVD player (audio decoded internally and passed to receiver's analog inputs) to audio decoded and processed inside the Marantz.
Not to compare PCM vs Bistream.
In other words to compare SQ of audio coming from player's an internal decoders and audio being processed by the receiver decoders.

I am deciding which receiver to get:
1. Marantz with HDMI, internally decoding lossless audio
2. Possibly higher SQ receiver such Arcam or Rotel with no capability to decode lossless audio, only receiving through analog inputs.

I did all of the above. Analog outs to Marantz 8001 from my Samsung 1400 and Toshiba XA2. To be clear, I tried PCM, bitstream, and analog outs.

No difference (other than Toshiba's bass management problem)

**BUT** here's the deal. Both the Toshiba and Samsung had bugs with analog outs. in Toshiba's case, it didn't output LFE correctly unless you went through some gyrations. In Samsung's case, it kept forgetting the speaker size (large/small) which matters for redirecting bass.

Latter firmware fixed issues for both players, but there's no guarantee that other players won't have the issue.

If it were me, I absolutely would not consider Nad/Rotel/Arcam units that are not HD codec aware.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3045 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 AM

I have some developing news to the firmware update on my 7002. If I can recap I sent my 7002 to our designated marantz service department in Melbourne Australia last Wednesday. They claimed it should take one week for them to complete. Initially it was meant to be a quick update job but after looking at the what was required this time frame was pushed to a week.
I received a call today from the head of their service department and claimed he had installed the update to the latest (v080313, or thereabouts) and did other things according to the memo from marantz. Sounding dissappointed he claimed he did some in house testing, along with other receivers,and found the fix did not work. The LFE bug issue still existed and as for the DTS bomb issue, that I am not sure because how do you know till you bitstream movies with the hd codecs. I have a PS3 that does not bitstream HD audio but when I do get a player that does that will be a true test. It will be a "suck it and see" approach to see if it works while watching a movie with the hd audio. Being unhappy about the matter, as you can imagine, he has emailed Japan to get some resolve on the matter. I'll give credit to the service dept but as for marantz's approach to the matter they really sucks! There are posts suggesting not to blame marantz for these issues. That is all fine to say. I do not have any invested interest in marantz nor other manufacturers. They have put these on the market for consumers to buy and in my case remain with problems. Yes I do blame them! THe receiver should have had the fixes installed and working.

I am a totally miserable loyal (or possibly ex-loyal) marantz owner. I will keep you updated with what eventuates tomorrow.

Maramp
post #3046 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramp View Post

I am a totally miserable loyal (or possibly ex-loyal) marantz owner. I will keep you updated with what eventuates tomorrow.

Maramp

That is disappointing, but thanks for keeping us in the loop. Good luck.

Doug
post #3047 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM

i hope thats not true in my case - mines went out yesterday - one poster here confirmed that the 9db bug was fixed on his - about the DTS bomb - thats another story - you just have to use it and see over time if its fixed or not - i dont see how the service center told you the DTS bomb is not fixed - with out using the unit - and it can weeks watching blu rays to at least to confirm its not fixed etc. -

so what are they going to do now ? are they holding your unit or sending it back that way ?
post #3048 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

I went into the owners circle of Marantz and emailed them about the issue with the True HD and DTS-MA codecs popping when bitstreaming and the 9db subwoofer bug that doesn't really bother me as I use a SPL meter to calibrate. This was 36 hours ago and I haven't got a reply back.

Ray
post #3049 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

I went into the owners circle of Marantz and emailed them about the issue with the True HD and DTS-MA codecs popping when bitstreaming and the 9db subwoofer bug that doesn't really bother me as I use a SPL meter to calibrate. This was 36 hours ago and I haven't got a reply back.

Ray

you will get one soon - i have done that and i usually get a replay the next day - i was asked where i live and then they got back to me with a form to fill out and fax back - and then set up a pickup from UPS - and it was fast - they picked it up the next day which was yesterday and its on the truck for delivery to marantz right now in NJ - was told this would be a 72 hour turn around more or less - so far its going smooth and fast - but what i dont like is - Marantz never did say - YES there is a Fix or NO there isnt etc. - i hope to get mines back by early next week
i mean how long can it take to upgrade firmware ?? 20 mins at most i would think - if they do it today which most likely they wont - i say tomorrow or monday if they dont work on Sat. - then ship it out and should have it by wed. - thats what i am hoping for anyway - i will be getting a blu ray this sunday - so i want to hook it all up by next weekend and start watching blu rays -

i would think i have to rerun the setup again to get the correct sub output level -- or at least to see what the numbers would be after the auto setup -

at first i wasnt too trilled about sending it out to get this fixed - but once you get over the initial shock of disconnecting and packing - its not that bad - as long as marantz pays for the shipping - and its door to door -

i dont want to lug this around no where - UPS picked it up at my home and hopefully bringing it back next week in one piece
post #3050 of 5089 Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 PM

hansangb, thanks for an excellent answer.
I do own HD-XA2, will try to survive the LFE problems.
The key is the sound quality.
I can't to get rid off from my head how Rotel RSX-1067 sounded comparing to Marantz during multiple auditioning with different speakers.
I hope new Panasonic BD50 will be analog outputs problems free.
An analog outputs idea should work in the future.
post #3051 of 5089 Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

I know the Source Direct path goes around the bass management, speaker settings, etc.

Does the Pure Direct do the same with the addition of shutting down video output stuff and front panel? If so this would be preferred to Source Direct correct?

Thanks,
SC
post #3052 of 5089 Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scervin View Post

I know the Source Direct path goes around the bass management, speaker settings, etc.

Does the Pure Direct do the same with the addition of shutting down video output stuff and front panel? If so this would be preferred to Source Direct correct?

Thanks,
SC

Yes and yes. But, to be honest, I can't really hear any difference. I use Auto Surround for all sources because I like to take advantage of the speaker size and distance settings.

Doug
post #3053 of 5089 Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hansangb, thanks for an excellent answer.
I do own HD-XA2, will try to survive the LFE problems.
The key is the sound quality.
I can't to get rid off from my head how Rotel RSX-1067 sounded comparing to Marantz during multiple auditioning with different speakers.
I hope new Panasonic BD50 will be analog outputs problems free.
An analog outputs idea should work in the future.

I wonder if the store ran the MultEQ and called it a day? I find the MultEQ on the Marantz is not as strong as Denon's. Considering that Denon's MultEQ XT is one level above Marantz's MultEQ, I guess it makes sense.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3054 of 5089 Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

Ray

I'm getting a list of bug fixes with the latest firmware (version H35). For right now, I do know that the dreaded "DTS Bomb" (popping) is fixed with this firmware version.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #3055 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

I'm getting a list of bug fixes with the latest firmware (version H35). For right now, I do know that the dreaded "DTS Bomb" (popping) is fixed with this firmware version.

Marc, is the same true for both SR7002 & SR8002? How about the -9db bug w/ audyssey eq?
Also, I assume this is a strick firmware update and doesn't require any hardware modification right?
post #3056 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 AM

Does anybody know when shipping units will start with this latest update? I don't want to buy the 8002 and then go through the hassle of sending it in been there and done that.

Thanks,
Tony.
post #3057 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Marc!

Still haven't got a reply back from Marantz and its been a few days now. Guess its time to e-mail them again.

Cheers,

Ray
post #3058 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does your stock of 7002 and 8002 have H35?
I am guessing there is nothing on the box, but I bet Marantz could/does tell you.
EDIT: A customer chimed in, and said no.
post #3059 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Does your stock of 7002 and 8002 have H35?

No. I just got my SR-8002 on Thursday, and Marc said the one he sent me had just arrived from Marantz.
post #3060 of 5089 Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 AM

MM that sux, i wonder how fast the European dealers will get the newer firmwares..
Since im back on the marantz train now, after finding out multeq vs multeq xt is no difference in subwoofer eq'ing
If only this damn firmware upgrading be possibly by users... i seriously do NOT wanna send in my to be bought unit for fixing mayor bugs..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page