QZ1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

I'm getting a list of bug fixes with the latest firmware (version H35). For right now, I do know that the dreaded "DTS Bomb" (popping) is fixed with this firmware version.

I am in no hurry. Do you have an ETA on getting 7002 stock with v. H35?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

They weigh the same..... 33.1 lbs! Were are you getting our information?!

Not according to Amazon, they don't. The 8001 weighs a full 10 pounds more than the 8002. What did they change/cheapen to make the 8002 lighter??.

Sorry it won't let me save links.

Technical Details

* Brand Name: Marantz
* Model: 8001
* Output Channel Quantity: 7
* component_type: Receiver Unknown modifier
* audio_output_mode: Surround Sound Unknown modifier

› See more technical details
Product Details

* Product Dimensions: 44 pounds
* Shipping Weight: 45 pounds
* ASIN: B000LW27VC
* Item model number: 8001

Technical Details

* 125 Watts x 7 Channels All Discrete Amplifier Stage
* HDMI V1.3a Repeating/Switching: 4-In/2-Out
* Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, dts-HD Master Audio
* Deep Color, xvYCC and SACD Support by HDMI
* Up-Conversion (w/TBC) to HDMI with 480I/480P Converter

› See more technical details
Product Details

* Product Dimensions: 17 x 16 x 7 inches ; 33.1 pounds
* Shipping Weight: 35 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
* ASIN: B000X18Y7C
* Item model number: 8002

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #3063 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

Not according to Amazon, they don't. The 8001 weighs a full 10 pounds more than the 8002. What did they change/cheapen to make the 8002 lighter??.

Technical Details

See more technical details
Product Details

Technical Details

Product Details

Well, Amazon would never make a mistake, would they? I like their "Product Dimensions" for the SR8001: 44 pounds. That should give you a clue.

Maybe it is just me but I always refer to the manufacturers web sites first when looking for product features and specs:

SR8001: http://us.marantz.com/Products/1875.asp

SR8002: http://us.marantz.com/Products/2204.asp

Both units weigh 33.1 pounds.
post #3064 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Technical Details

Product Details

Technical Details

Product Details

i just had my 7002 shipped to marantz for the fix - they set it up with UPS and the label says - 44 pounds shipping - - the unit itself is not 44 pounds but with packing etc. it might be close to 40 - dont worry about what amazon is saying - - i doubt very much there is a difference between the 8001 and 8002 -- and if there is - its not that big of difference - maybe a pound or two if that at most -

if you are really that concerned about the weight - just check it on the marantz site and call them to confirm -
if you do call them - i am sure they will just check there own site and tell you what it says there - which you can do yourself -
post #3065 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:

You believe a retailer over the manufacturer? Do a little checking; Amazon obviously made a mistake or changed their policy regarding listing the unit weight alone or shipping weight, which includes box, other packing material, manual, microphone, two remotes and their batteries, antenna loop, and whatever else might be included.
post #3066 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

I have seen several products' dimensions listed incorrectly at Amazon in the last few years. Also, other reliable vendors have made mistakes too. The problem is when the manufacturer makes a mistake, which happen too, unfortunately. If it is the latter, usually, there is conflicting info. between their documents, and one can get a the right answer, though.
post #3067 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Sadly, one thing the Marantz website doesn't tell you is that the SR-8002 still ships with the DTS-MA bomb, and apparently the LFE bug as well (as mentioned by another poster very recently).

What's the point of buying this receiver if you must immediately ship the thing away for a firmware update and wire-cutting fix to make it work the way the Marantz website advertises?

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #3068 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Sadly, one thing the Marantz website doesn't tell you is that the SR-8002 still ships with the DTS-MA bomb, and apparently the LFE bug as well (as mentioned by another poster very recently).

What's the point of buying this receiver if you must immediately ship the thing away for a firmware update and wire-cutting fix to make it work the way the Marantz website advertises?

do you know for sure that they have to open up the unit and work on it ??? i though it was just a firmware update with out having to open the unit
post #3069 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I am in no hurry. Do you have an ETA on getting 7002 stock with v. H35?

I'll check Monday.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #3070 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I'll check Monday.

Please check on the 8002 as well I am getting itchy fingers towards my wallet and the denon is looking pretty good right now.

Thanks.
post #3071 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsac65 View Post

Please check on the 8002 as well I am getting itchy fingers towards my wallet and the denon is looking pretty good right now.

Thanks.

Will do.

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #3072 of 5086 Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll check Monday.

Thanks, Marc. I was wondering where you were.
As patient as I am willing to be, I am still anxious to get the 7002 sooner rather than later, of course.
post #3073 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

do you know for sure that they have to open up the unit and work on it ??? i though it was just a firmware update with out having to open the unit

Check back a page or three in the thread. Some people mentioned it. It doesn't matter much if they have to open it up, I suppose -- either you send it in or you don't. It is somewhat disgusting that firmware updates cannot be completed by the user, as with Denon and Onkyo.

I will say that despite these problems, the unit sounds very good. With so many blu-ray machines offering onboard decoding and the ability to send LPCM, I still say the Marantz SR-8001 is one of the best values out there. Others have said that they can't tell the difference between bitstreaming/letting the receiver decode and sending LPCM, and I'm of that same opinion. There are more EQ options open to a bitstreamed signal, possibly, but other than that, they sound identical.

post #3074 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is somewhat disgusting that firmware updates cannot be completed by the user, as with Denon and Onkyo.

I can't think of another brand that doesn't let the user update the firmware. Are they any?
post #3075 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I can't think of another brand that doesn't let the user update the firmware. Are they any?

i cant think of any brand other than marantz that wont you let you upgrade - i wish i knew before i purchased it - it didnt even cross my mind to think about it -

my unit was sent to there NJ location for the upgrade - was given a 72 hour turn around in the email from marantz when they set up the pick up -- i called today to check the status and i was told - 2 to 3 weeks !!! --

really sucks now - i was expecting it this weekend - i guess not now - maybe next month - i will get my blu ray player this weekend - and now have to wait to use it with the 7002 when i get it back - i miss my music more than watching movies now during the summer days -- thats why i figure let me do it now and have it for the winter days --

as long as i get it back in perfect condition and working - i still be happy - but disappointed with the whole process -
post #3076 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 PM

expresso712, can you call Marantz again and demand for an answer to why the turn around time has changed from 3 days to 2 - 3 weeks?

I suspect the problem can't be fixed with a simple firmware update and require internal modification and this is the reason for the long turn around time..
post #3077 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

expresso712, can you call Marantz again and demand for an answer to why the turn around time has changed from 3 days to 2 - 3 weeks?

I suspect the problem can't be fixed with a simple firmware update and require internal modification and this is the reason for the long turn around time..

i guess i could call again and ask for a reason - but whats the use really - they have it - and when i get it back thats it -
theres nothing you can do on the phone to make them work any faster - i am sure they have many others to do - and i am sure they dont want to keep my unit just sitting there either -

i havnt a clue why i was emailed that the turn around for something like this is about 72 hours - so i figured ok - not that bad - i get it this week -

i called and they have it - but its about 2 to 3 weeks - now it may be ready sooner - which i hope - but worst case its going to take a few weeks - and with my luck - it will take the full 3 weeks - the form that was faxed to me to fill out and fax back - it did say on that form - the time frame for repairs - 2 to 3 weeks - but i didnt think this was a major repair job - i figured just plug in a cable and run a program to update the software - maybe a few hours time once its started -

but now - it maybe different - i dont know if they have to open it up to do anything inside - if thats the case which i dont think anyone really knows for sure - then i can see taking more time - i dont even want to watch movies now till i get it back - its just not the same from the TV speakers -

bottom line really is this - if you have a unit that needs to be updated - - then just keep in mind a few weeks for sure - if you get it sooner - then thats great --

i was disappointed because i was expecting to have it this weekend - because i was given that information - but if i was told from the start that it would take 3 weeks - i may have done it anyway - sooner or later - you would want it done - unless of course - you never going to use the latest audio formats - and dosnt bother you to keep it that way -

then its not even a big deal really - i am waiting on a blu ray player now - i wanted to have the AVR for that purpose - now i will get the player and have to use it with the TV only till i get it back and hopefully hook it up for the last time -

what ever you are told by those email techs you talk with from the owners circle - you cant really hold them for what they say as the bottom line - some say one thing - some say another -
i am sure they dont even know whats involved with this fix - and just give out a time frame -

i dont think anyone knows actually
post #3078 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

I sent them a VIP e-mail on the 3rd via the owners circle they still haven't got back to me. Looking at the 3808.

Ray
post #3079 of 5086 Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Regarding the H35 firmware update:
I'm 99% sure this fixes the Audessey 9db bug, but my contact at the factory is out until Thursday. I'll post an update then

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
marc@avscience.com
post #3080 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with Marantz and asked about the DTS-HD and True HD codec issues along with the -9db subwoofer issue. They said the firmware update will resolve both issues. They wouldn't tell me the Firmware version or other specifics.

The closest auth sevice ctr for me is 113 miles away and I'm not going to send it. I prefer to drop it off in perfect condition. The Sevice Center said to allow 7-10 for a lousy Firmware update after I drop it off. What about other firmware updates in the future. This can be a huge PITA.

Guess I'll be selling my SR7002.
post #3081 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

Just got off the phone with Marantz and asked about the DTS-HD and True HD codec issues along with the -9db subwoofer issue. They said the firmware update will resolve both issues. They wouldn't tell me the Firmware version or other specifics.

The closest auth sevice ctr for me is 113 miles away and I'm not going to send it. I prefer to drop it off in perfect condition. The Sevice Center said to allow 7-10 for a lousy Firmware update after I drop it off. What about other firmware updates in the future. This can be a huge PITA.

Guess I'll be selling my SR7002.

i hear you - its a pain -- 7 to 10 days sounds ok - considering mines will take 2 to 3 weeks at the NJ factory -

i hope there isnt going to be any future problems like this - or else i may just join you and get rid of this thing - i really would hate to do that - i do like it solid built and feel - but what good is having a tank that cant shoot -

they really need to get up to date and have the users do these plug and play updates - the 3808 sounds pretty good to me also - if it has to come down to that - i really hope not -
post #3082 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

You can be certain that you will need another Firmware update in the future. That's just technology. It's ever changing. I don't want to have to deal with this time and time again so...I think I'll cut my losses now.

Cheers,

Ray
post #3083 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

You can be certain that you will need another Firmware update in the future. That's just technology. It's ever changing. I don't want to have to deal with this time and time again so...I think I'll cut my losses now.

Cheers,

Ray

It is kind of silly that firmware upgrades can't be made available either through download or on a cd, and updated through one of the digital connections on the receiver.

Even if the manufacturer picked up shipping costs, unhooking and rewiring one of these is not something you would want to do - if there was another alternative.
post #3084 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

It is kind of silly that firmware upgrades can't be made available either through download or on a cd, and updated through one of the digital connections on the receiver.

Even if the manufacturer picked up shipping costs, unhooking and rewiring one of these is not something you would want to do - if there was another alternative.

i agree...I was going to buy the new Marantz Blu-ray player but after this update fiasco there is no way in hell I would fork over 2k for this silliness.

Cd

Reality Based.
post #3085 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

i agree...I was going to buy the new Marantz Blu-ray player but after this update fiasco there is no way in hell I would fork over 2k for this silliness.

Cd

Blu-ray player is probably OK since you *should* be able to burn a cd and do the upgrade. I returned my 8002 precisely because of this FW upgrade issue. I did the Fw upgrade twice on 8001 and while it wasn't *that* big of a deal, it was still a hassle I didn't want to deal with.

There will most likely be other upgrades that will be required. But perhaps not *that* many. So if you can live with two upgrades in the next two years or so, Marantz is a good choice.

My the way, I couldn't tell the difference (in weight) from the 8001 to the 8002. I didn't put it on a scale or anything, but having lugged both around, I believe if was about the same.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3086 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

Blu-ray player is probably OK since you *should* be able to burn a cd and do the upgrade. I returned my 8002 precisely because of this FW upgrade issue. I did the Fw upgrade twice on 8001 and while it wasn't *that* big of a deal, it was still a hassle I didn't want to deal with.

There will most likely be other upgrades that will be required. But perhaps not *that* many. So if you can live with two upgrades in the next two years or so, Marantz is a good choice.

My the way, I couldn't tell the difference (in weight) from the 8001 to the 8002. I didn't put it on a scale or anything, but having lugged both around, I believe if was about the same.

how were you able to go the upgrade on your 8001 yourself ?

about the blu ray unit - if they dont let anyone do upgrades - how would someone be able to get a upgrade on disc -

they dont post firmware downloads - since they dont want anyone doing it themselves -

well i have to see how this experience with marantz works out for me - this is my first AVR - so didnt even know marantz didnt have the users do upgrades if it didnt involve opening the unit - if it really becomes a problem with a few more updates - then the next round - i would look into denon also -

i doubt very much - theres such a huge SQ difference - i went with marantz because everyone says its just a tad better with SQ over the other brands and that was my main reason -

i cant say if thats true or not - i dont own or have owned anything recent or AVR - last amp was a two channel for stereo only -

i guess well have to see how this all works out and hopefully have a long stretch of not having issues
post #3087 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

expresso712,

I think he means he sent it away twice to be updated.
post #3088 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:Guess I'll be selling my SR7002.

It will be worth a lot since It will not play hardly any New Line Cinema Blu Ray with the chance of blowing up speakers. It also will not have much output on the sub out. My SR-8002 will be back Thursday from Marantz. I will enjoy it I am sure. Why are some forum members making such a big deal about sending it in to Marantz They have done this for years. This is not new news. It is only a hobby. In my opinion Marantz sounds better than Denon Onkyo to name a few. When it comes to customer service they are dead last to the rest no argument there.

rmlowz
post #3089 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A few posts ago, I reported that I sent the SR8002 to be updated and UPS broke it down in the way to the Factory.. Right now I am still in a dispute with both Marantz and UPS.. Hopefully in the coming days that will be solved...
For the past 5 years, I had different Marantz receivers because I love their sound...
During this time I had the opportunity to test drive the Denon 3808 in my system.
After hearing both of them in my system, I would say that for music the Marantz sounds
better.. It is warmer and adds this sort of depth to the mid range... However, the Denon is not that bad, it has better upper range and has a really nice control of the subwoofer.
The midrange of the Denon tends to be neutral/bright... For the HT I would give the edge to the Denon due to the excellent bass management that it has..
On the plus side, the ability to have the audyssey xt is fantastic.. It is leagues away from the one in the Marantz.. The firmware upgrades in the Denon are done in a snap...
Also, the ability to use the internet radio and networking it is impresive...
During movie playback with blu-ray or hd dvd, you can keep the audyssey engaged, while in the marantz is turn off. Many will say that they rather have the audyssey turn off in the Marantz and that they don't care whether it can be engaged or not during
BD/HD DVD playback. However, in the Denon having engaged the Audyssey or not, it makes a huge difference. After sorting this out my dispute with the Marantz, it is very likely that I will get the Denon 3808 in my system... I will wait a few years and move to separates.. Hopefully I will get a Marantz again, but I would like to have the same features that I have with the Denon...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #3090 of 5086 Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Christian I believe you just made up my mind.

Ray
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page