AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

[snip]
by the way - your answer to just line them all up and that should work - what does that mean - ??

there are 3 digital inputs and one digital out - all i want to connect to digital right now is my dvd player -- -

If you look at the back of the unit, you'll see that all the inputs have a number next to it. TV is 1, DVD is 2 etc. You'll also see that digital inputs have numbers on them as well. So if you have your DVD player (setup to use digital output, don't forget that) hooked up to digital 2 input, then you should be able to hear it via INPUT 2/DVD when you turn the dial in the front. In the Marantz world, each input has a pecking order. So digital input 2 (DVD) trumps analog input for DVD.

Thanks,
Hansang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5086 Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

If you look at the back of the unit, you'll see that all the inputs have a number next to it. TV is 1, DVD is 2 etc. You'll also see that digital inputs have numbers on them as well. So if you have your DVD player (setup to use digital output, don't forget that) hooked up to digital 2 input, then you should be able to hear it via INPUT 2/DVD when you turn the dial in the front. In the Marantz world, each input has a pecking order. So digital input 2 (DVD) trumps analog input for DVD.

i looked behind it again to double check - i plugged the cable in the digital input - the first one -- - i turned it on - i notice it does say digital for a split sec. on the front display but ends up on analog -- i turned the knob slowly to scroll thru each input - but no sounds comes out of any of them - as i scroll thru - i see DVD - TV - Tape - DSS - CD/R etc. - but nothing that would tell me its digital - i put it on Auto which the manual says it should pick it up i belieave - and nothing - if there is something i have to do with my CD player - i havnt a clue - i have one set of inputs and another set to add a another CD player etc. - and a digital output - i do have a switch that i can move to 1,2,3 -- which on the remote has the same thing - not sure what that is - but i tried moving them also - if i put the switch on 1 on the cd player - i have to put it on one on my remote to control it - and so on -

i dont think that has anything to do with it -- i guess i read the manual again - or else i just leave it analog i guess - till i have more time to set it up correctly - in direct mode - i dont have any issues with the PEAK light -

that was my concern to begin with and what made me want to try the digital cable -
post #453 of 5086 Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So when I sent DTS-MA bitstream to the 7002, it will not say anything about DTS-MA?
How do I know it is decoding the DTS-MA and playing it correctly?
Same question for TrueHD.
I am using the samsung 1400 set to output bitstream via HDMI.
post #454 of 5086 Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

So when I sent DTS-MA bitstream to the 7002, it will not say anything about DTS-MA?

No, the 7002 will say TrueHD or DTS-MA when fed bitstream.
post #455 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

In one of the display modes (7/disp on the remote) it indicates sound stream type in big letters on the receiver's display. It will say "DTS HD Master" for DTS-MA
post #456 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Just a quick note. I was researching new recievers to upgrade my YAMAHA 2090 and found that the marantz is not only short on inputs overall, but lacking a PHONO input!!

I find this hard to believe, especially since this thread started out with all in agreement that marantz were the units to consider for best sound quality.
post #457 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No phone input this s true. Debate-able about the input count being low. I had 11 sources hooked up at the same time not so long ago.
post #458 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

No phone input this s true. Debate-able about the input count being low. I had 11 sources hooked up at the same time not so long ago.

Agree about the inputs. I've had 6 (3 HDMI and 3 component) hi-def video sources hooked up at once as well. Don't see the issue. This is how everyone is doing it now.

David
post #459 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM

What audio formats does PS3 bluray player currently NOT offer?
post #460 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleishher View Post

What audio formats does PS3 bluray player currently NOT offer?

I don't have a PS3 but, I believe the answer is DTS-HD MA.
post #461 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's odd. If it's bitstream and using HDMI, I would have expected the MA light to come on. What firmware do you have on that box? I know this capability was added in a FW update.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #462 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

that's odd. If it's bitstream and using HDMI, I would have expected the MA light to come on. What firmware do you have on that box? I know this capability was added in a FW update.

Yes it is odd, as it does display on my SR7002. Like you said he may need to update the FW, which is probably the case. Also, he may not have the remote displaying the format.
post #463 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc1122 View Post

Just a quick note. I was researching new recievers to upgrade my YAMAHA 2090 and found that the marantz is not only short on inputs overall, but lacking a PHONO input!!

My Marantz SR96 from 11 yrs ago didn't have a phono input, my current SR8500 doesn't either. Marantz has been leaving phono inputs off their A/V receivers for a while now, yet they put out a Clearaudio built turntable. Maybe they consider 2 and multichannel setups to be separate niches. Personally when I upgrade to the 8002 or 9xxx receiver, I'd keep them separate as well (not enough rack space for the turntable).

post #464 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:

that's odd. If it's bitstream and using HDMI, I would have expected the MA light to come on.

I don't have MA indicator on also, but I have big and nice DTS HD MASTER string on the display.
post #465 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

My Marantz SR96 from 11 yrs ago didn't have a phono input, my current SR8500 doesn't either. Marantz has been leaving phono inputs off their A/V receivers for a while now, yet they put out a Clearaudio built turntable. Maybe they consider 2 and multichannel setups to be separate niches. Personally when I upgrade to the 8002 or 9xxx receiver, I'd keep them separate as well (not enough rack space for the turntable).

Is there any way to connect a turntable to this receiver? I listen to a lot of vinyl. If I can't connect my turntable to this receiver then I'm not buying it and will continue my wait for a receiver with HDMI 1.3, all the latest decoding and no video scaling (just switching). I'm really hoping the NAD 775 gets the latest decoding...
post #466 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You will have to get a separate MM pre-amp. They aren't to much I don't think.
post #467 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:

You will have to get a separate MM pre-amp. They aren't to much I don't think.

Does the turntable connect to this amp, and then the amp connects to the receiver? Feel free to send me links to appropriate descriptions of how all of this would work. Thanks.

I've answered my own question: http://www.thecablepro.com/cableDeta...?cID=32&cgID=1. Any other recommendations for a decent MM pre-amp?

Kind of ridiculous they'd leave off a phono input and leave on a bunch of other totally useless inputs. As someone else mentioned, this receiver is meant to be about "sound quality" and imo you'll be hard pressed to beat the sound quality of a well looked after piece of vinyl. Don't get me wrong, I totally love SACD and DVD-Audio, but the number of releases is limited.
post #468 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Well, considering the way to get the best sound out of a turntable is with an aftermarket phono preamp, why should they have a phono input? Neither does Harman Kardon, the other good sounding receiver brand.

It is not that big of a deal. Anyone who is spending the kind of money that the Marantz turntable is going for should be able to pick up a good phono preamp in the $200-500 range that would sound better than almost any that would be built in. Also, most phono inputs on receivers will only work with a MM cartridge so if you decide to get a primo low output MC cartridge you would have to get a phono preamp anyways.
post #469 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That would be the next question before any links or suggestions.

Are you running MM or MC?
post #470 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:

That would be the next question before any links or suggestions.

Are you running MM or MC?

It's a Music Hall MMF-7, which hass a moving-coil (MC) type cartridge. This works fine with my current Onkyo 797 receiver - though I do have to crank the receiver to -10db to get a decent, fairly loud, sound. I feel my 4ohm Totem Model Signature`s could do with a little more power...

- It is not that big of a deal
Agreed
post #471 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So you want 2 channel still? If so most stereo recievers still seem to have phono pre-amps.

I'd surely get an MV pre-amp. I am shocked that works for you. I've tried in the long distant past and I remember I could not get it to work worth a crud on a reciever that only had an MM pre-amp.

I am way week anymore on these pre-amps, I know people still buy them though.
post #472 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:

So you want 2 channel still? If so most stereo recievers still seem to have phono pre-amps.

Not the Marantz apparently. I want my cake and be able to eat it as I also want the TrueHD sound for HD DVD's.

Quote:

I'd surely get an MV pre-amp. I am shocked that works for you. I've tried in the long distant past and I remember I could not get it to work worth a crud on a reciever that only had an MM pre-amp.

Perhaps it`s because I have a high-output MC cartridge?
http://www.goldring.co.uk/moving_coi..._cartridge.htm
post #473 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post

I don't have MA indicator on also, but I have big and nice DTS HD MASTER string on the display.

In case there's any confusion, that's what I meant by "...MA light on"

Thanks,
Hansang
post #474 of 5086 Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM

The Reference Series has an input/amplifier socket for turntables.
post #475 of 5086 Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Need some opinions. I've narrowed down my choice to either Denon 3808 or Marantz sr8002. Features aren't an issue, I'm interested in sound quality, overall quality, reliability.

-Which do you think will drive my 4xNHT 1.5/AC-1 speakers better?
(I have SVS 20-39+ Sub)
-Reliability?
-Longevity? (I have had my old Denon AVR2400 for almost 10 years).
-Is the 3808 in the same class as 8002 power wise? I haven't seen any side by side comparisons or bench tests.

I think both are future proof, while the Denon features are nicer, nothing make or break for me except for maybe user updateable firmware...on the other hand, if everything on sr8002 works, no need to update. I think Denon is driving updates as a profit center, offering web interface enhancements, etc. frankly I'd rather keep it simple and use SB3 or similar device.

I had read reports of QC problems on Marantz sr8001, something about a cold weld break issue. Think that's been resolved? I assume 8002 is evolution of 8001 so maybe its more stable release?

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #476 of 5086 Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

I got it figured out.
I had to change the display to show what was being decoded.
All it said before was BLURAY (which is what I renamed that input) and the little dts light was on.
But now I got it all figured out.
Thanks!
post #477 of 5086 Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

However I have another problem.
I hooked up my xbox 360 this morning (set at 1080i).
I assigned the input and everything but I cant get video.
The audio goes through fine(optical).
I turned off the i/p conversion since my tv doesnt accept 1080p.
Then I switched it to tuner and got the video to show up but with the tuner audio.
Really strange. Dont know what else to do!
post #478 of 5086 Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:

However I have another problem.
I hooked up my xbox 360 this morning (set at 1080i).
I assigned the input and everything but I cant get video.
The audio goes through fine(optical).
I turned off the i/p conversion since my tv doesnt accept 1080p.
Then I switched it to tuner and got the video to show up but with the tuner audio.
Really strange. Dont know what else to do!

I had a similar problem with the 7002 but without knowing more about how your system is configured this may or may not help. I think it stems from the analog upconversion to hdmi. When I initially setup the 7002, I turned the video upconversion feature (actually transcoding) off for my XA2 and PS3 inputs since I didn't want the video signal from those inputs touched by the receiver. However I left the upconversion feature on for my 360 input since I was using an older model with only component video. I found that when I turned the receiver on, if it was set to the 360 input, then I got the 360 video. However if I changed the input to either the XA2 or PS3 inputs, and then back to the 360, then I lost the video from that input. I could then switch the receiver to the tuner input and I would find the xbox video there but with the wrong audio. I fixed this by switching the video upconversion feature back on for all inputs and now all the video signals were located on the right inputs. I didn't have anymore problems with the video inputs after that. I don't know if that applies to your setup, but it worked for me.

I should also mention that there is a known problem with the way the 360 sends its analog component video. For unknown reasons, the video will flicker at random times when it is transcoded to hdmi and you will lose the picture (for more information see some fix this was to use only component video for the xbox.
post #479 of 5086 Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure PS3 is not capable of sending out HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-MA) via bitstream. So wouldn't you only see PCM on the display? Are you sure the PS3 is able to output audio via bitstream?

yes, the ps3 outputs via bitstream and when i do so i see he dolby and dts light up bright red on my receiver. is it possible that in the future the ps3 would be able to download a firmware upgrade that would allow it to output HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-MA)?
post #480 of 5086 Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 PM

I have two sources, my cable box and ps3, going into my SR7002's HDMI input-1 and HDMI input-2. The SR7002 HDMI output-1 is going into my television via HDMI. For some reason the receiver is not outputting to my television and it driving me crazy. I am so frustrated here, can anyone advise? Thanks in advance. -Steven
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page