new marantz sr7002, sr8002 receivers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still no website update on marantz.com.

Interesting that the 8002 MSRP is more than that of the Elite 94 or even the Denon AVR 3808.

It seems the 8002 has less features than the Elite. Presumably the components are better?

Is the only difference between the 7002 and 8002 the fact that the 8002 has a copper chassis and more power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

Still no website update on marantz.com.

Interesting that the 8002 MSRP is more than that of the Elite 94 or even the Denon AVR 3808.

It seems the 8002 has less features than the Elite. Presumably the components are better?

Is the only difference between the 7002 and 8002 the fact that the 8002 has a copper chassis and more power?

Come on, the Marantz has that nice thick faceplate and that neat tuning gizmo.

The 8002 and the 94 are both inferior in most ways the Onkyo 805 (unless you run two video devices), the price declines as the receivers get better. Isn't marketing wonderful?

Ok, I'll admit if you care about upscaling in the receiver the Onkyo 875 does it better (it can upscale everything to 1080p instead of the 720p of the 805, but that along with another HDMI input is the only substantive difference between the 805 and 875 plus a $400 street premium) but a good 1080p HDTV will probably scale just fine so who cares if the receiver does it.

On a more serious note, how do you build a receiver with a 780 watt power supply (very good so far) that weighs 33 pounds unless you have enough fan capacity to launch an airplane or you use a class D switching amplifier (there goes the good sound) that is efficient enough to not throw a lot of heat. The Onkyo comes with an 875 watt power supply and massive heat sinks (thus the 51 pound weight) so the fan only needs to come on under a heavy load or if you put the thing in ventilation restricting cabinet.

From what I have seen (assuming the 8001 and 8002 have the same amplifier section), the Onkyos should have the best power and signal to noise numbers, the Marantz doesn't have much power from what I found for the 8001 http://hometheatermag.com/floorlouds...oy/index4.html, the Pioneer is powered by a hamster wheel (530 watt power supply). The Pioneer has neither power nor is it the best preamp, I don't understand the attraction of this unit at all (shiny black case?).

I have never liked the UI nor the sound of Denons, my brother's sounds very tinny (AVR-3803), this is a step down from the one you would compare to the 8002 though, and his is a PITB to use (I hear the UI is drastically improved on the latest though, can't speak for the sound).
post #93 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM

I have never liked the sound of the Denons either.

I have to say I haven't checked the Onkyos lately.

Once marantz officially updates their website, we will be able to maybe compare the SR 8001/Pio Elite/Onkyo (why not).

I do care about upconversion from component/Svideo. I do not really care about upconversion for DVD. My DVD player does a good job already.
post #94 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Are there reviews for the Onlkyo SR875? It looks like it can hold its own...

However, I would not call it "pretty". Reminds me of a vintage early 90's receiver.
post #95 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here you go: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
post #96 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

However, I would not call it "pretty". Reminds me of a vintage early 90's receiver.

Yes, lots of them (Okay 2 for it, one for the 805)

875 Review from Ultimate AV. Note, it does support DSD over HDMI, his DVD player does not (it is a HDMI 1.1 player, DSD over iLink, not HDMI)

The 805 (essentially the same except for the video processor and the extra HDMI input on the 875).

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html
post #97 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Forgot this one
post #98 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

post #99 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No real world power output numbers in that review? Or did I miss them somehow?
post #100 of 5099 Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Source: Sound & Vision Magazine

Quote:

DOLBY DIGITAL PERFORMANCE

All data were obtained using various test DVDs with 16-bit dithered signals, which set limits on measured distortion and noise performance. Reference input level is -20 dBFS, and reference output is 1 watt into 8 ohms. Volume setting for reference level was -7.5. All level trims were at zero, except for subwoofer-related tests, and all speakers were set to "large," subwoofer on. All are worst-case figures where applicable.

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
1 channel driven: 201/322 watts (23/25.1 dBW)
5 channels driven (8 ohms): 141 watts (21.5 dBW)
7 channels driven (8 ohms): 128 watts (21.1 dBW)
Distortion at 1 watt (THD+N, 1 kHz)
8/4 ohms: 0.02/0.03%
Noise level (A-weighted): -76.1 dB
Excess noise (with sine tone)
16-bit (EN16): 0.7 dB
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, -0.8 dB

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
post #101 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 AM

Ok, so the review from "sound and vision mag" is lacking and seems like a pumped up version of the press release.

The "ultimate av mag" one is interesting. I will definitely consider the Onkyo as well with the Marantz and PIO.

But man, I have a hard time getting over the look of this receiver.

Maybe it looks better in real.

Any user actually own the onkyo receiver here and can comment?
post #102 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I want to put Marantz on notice. This is what happens in the vacuum between announcing a product and releasing one. Onkyo moves in like weeds in a vacant lot.

Update the website already.

(Not knocking Onkyo at all, looks like great stuff...but there's 2 dozen threads for them already)

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #103 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But man, I have a hard time getting over the look of this receiver.

Maybe it looks better in real.

Trust me it doesn't look any better. Take a look at Onkyo's Integra brand. They are better looking in my opinion and offer the same features.
post #104 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Trust me it doesn't look any better. Take a look at Onkyo's Integra brand. They are better looking in my opinion and offer the same features.

Ok, they are all big ugly black boxes. Marantz's receivers look better than most but they are what they are, it is in a cabinet and really the looks just don't matter. My current receiver (a Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi from 2004 is pretty but is getting long in the tooth). My priority is sound first, then HDMI switching (don't really care about scaling or any analog inputs of any kind either, as far as I am concerned I would be happy if they removed all of them). Also it must be wife friendly, the new HDMI 1.3 equipment is much more wife friendly. I operate as the voice recognition and remote control software for my wife
post #105 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, they are all big ugly black boxes. Marantz's receivers look better than most but they are what they are, it is in a cabinet and really the looks just don't matter. My current receiver (a Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi from 2004 is pretty but is getting long in the tooth). My priority is sound first, then HDMI switching (don't really care about scaling or any analog inputs of any kind either, as far as I am concerned I would be happy if they removed all of them). Also it must be wife friendly, the new HDMI 1.3 equipment is much more wife friendly. I operate as the voice recognition and remote control software for my wife

I agree with you 100%. That is the reason I gave in and now considering buying the Onkyo TX-SR705. It's ugly but it has all the features that I want. I was going to wait for the Marantz SR5002 but it doesn't decode TrueHD or DTS-HD so deal breaker for me.
post #106 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

The Integras have to be the ugliest lineup I've seen in a long time. Most other makers' top lineups (Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, NAD Master, Yamaha RX) tend to look better than their mainstream line but the Integras looks worse than their base Onkyo models

I have the Onkyo 875, and it's not ugly, it's not beautiful either. I like a simple clean look. The reason I am in this thread was just because I wanted to see some pictures of the Marantz and I think it does look better than the Onkyo.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter since I bought an enclosed cabinet to hide everything.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #107 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Seriously, can we drop the Onkyo *#@. There are already dozens of threads about them and they seem to infect threads about every other receiver. I almost suspect company/vendor plants! Thanks,

And also seriously, does the limited lack of inputs on the 7002/8002 not bother anyone else? Four video inputs on a $2000 receiver seems pathetic, great sound quality not withstanding.
post #108 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All the new AVR's are using this limited input scheme. I hate it, but you can get around it somewhat by using multiple devices on each selecion, they all just need to use a different audio and video connection. I had 11 sources hooked up to my Sr7001 and it worked great.
post #109 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Seriously, can we drop the Onkyo *#@. There are already dozens of threads about them and they seem to infect threads about every other receiver. I almost suspect company/vendor plants! Thanks,

And also seriously, does the limited lack of inputs on the 7002/8002 not bother anyone else? Four video inputs on a $2000 receiver seems pathetic, great sound quality not withstanding.

I don't know about you, but I am evaluating all these vendors' products. It is fair to compare the vendors and I think it helps. Otherwise each one of these vendor model threads becomes a buyer's remorse therapy thread.

BTW I would have to agree that the lack of more inputs is a problem. My guess is that the 8003 will have 6. I think the vendors should throw away most of the S-Video and composite inputs along with most of the analog audio inputs for these and replace them with HDMI inputs. While they are at it, the component ones should go as well, but maybe that should wait another year or so.
post #110 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

The Integras have to be the ugliest lineup I've seen in a long time. Most other makers' top lineups (Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, NAD Master, Yamaha RX) tend to look better than their mainstream line but the Integras looks worse than their base Onkyo models

I have the Onkyo 875, and it's not ugly, it's not beautiful either. I like a simple clean look. The reason I am in this thread was just because I wanted to see some pictures of the Marantz and I think it does look better than the Onkyo.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter since I bought an enclosed cabinet to hide everything.

no doubt! marantz look the best! simplest look! go for denon imho
post #111 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Does anyone have any additional information on the x002 series recievers yet? From what I have heard so far I am very interested in getting one of these (5002 or 7002)? I am waiting to see final spec sheets/manuals and hear about a release date. Want to pair this reciever with a set of KEF or Mirage speakers for a new Home Theater setup I am putting together in a newly remodeled room and have been really impressed with the sound of the older Marantz recievers.

Thanks
post #112 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I also think the integras look better than the onkyo. Any idea how much the DTR-8.8 streets for?

If the 8.8 is identical to the 875 and does not cost too much more, I would rather compare the Pio94, Marantz 7002/8002 and Integra.

Looking through the threads, there is a lot to worry about on quality and customer service. This will also have to be taken into account, not just performance, especially at that price range. Seems like this is a big plus for Pioneer.

Marantz looks like it is lacking, however, to be fair, I have had zero pb with my 4001, and have a good feeling about Marantz trying to get to a better place as posted by the Marantz guy on the threads.

I assume Integras are reliable?
post #113 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Way back in 1976 I stretched my tight budget & purchased a Marantz Model 2220B - 20 watts per channel, AM-FM stereo with few inputs & optional wood cabinet! 31 years later, as I'm typing this, it still sounds great.
It's got something that's lacking in newer receivers that's hard to describe. I'll call it punch. Even while owning newer surround receivers (Sony in the early '90s; Denon in the mid '90s) the Marantz had something the others didn't. It made music come alive - always entertaining. And with only 20wpc vs 110 for the Sony & 90 for the Denon.
So what was the difference? Well the Marantz was heavier. It had a transformer while the others didn't. A local HiFi shop agreed saying that Marantz's transformer could generate the needed current for deep bass. So in the late '90s I purchased separates from Parasound (amp) & BK (processor) for the theater & keep the Marantz in the family room.
But now I'm going to 7.1 & I'm in the market for a projector, too.
So, what's my question. Well, with powered subwoofers, how important is the receivers amp? It's feeding 80 Hz & up to the L, C, R, RL & RR (add 2 more for 7.1 surround) so how much punch do they need?
It's interesting to read debates that heavy = quality. With my personal experience I would agree & I'll take a serious look at Onkyo; but, as you might guess, I'm hooked on Marantz.
It's been a few years so I need to re-educate myself on modern amplifiers. All help is appreciated.
post #114 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

I don't know about you, but I am evaluating all these vendors' products. It is fair to compare the vendors and I think it helps.

There are plenty of comparison threads, and if there isn't one you need, then create one. Threads like this should be restricted to information about the specific receivers in question. Not owners of other gear coming in and spreading FUD (jesus christ, I think some people think the new Onkyos are the 2nd coming or something ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

All the new AVR's are using this limited input scheme. I hate it, but you can get around it somewhat by using multiple devices on each selecion, they all just need to use a different audio and video connection. I had 11 sources hooked up to my Sr7001 and it worked great.

Yes I understand that, but to me, it seems silly, and a bit "college dorm room", if you understand me.
post #115 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

wow. I like things that still work after 30 years

I have a simple very heavy Kenwood stereo receiver at my parents that I bought back in 1989 with a pair of KEF, and they all still work perfectly. That's nearing 20 years of loyal service (my parents still use it).

Was yours the Marantz receiver that was famous for surviving a fire?

As far as answering your question, I will have to defer to fellow posters who are more technical that I am.

I am curious about the answers however.
post #116 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

There are plenty of comparison threads, and if there isn't one you need, then create one. Threads like this should be restricted to information about the specific receivers in question. Not owners of other gear coming in and spreading FUD (jesus christ, I think some people think the new Onkyos are the 2nd coming or something )..

Purist!

BTW it isn't FUD if it is true, I heard that the Onkyos can indeed perform miracles
post #117 of 5099 Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 PM

I considered the new Onkyos but after hearing an Onkyo 605 along side a Denon 2307 with the same set of speakers I was not nearly as impressed. The Onkyo produced a good sound but I felt it was not as clearly defined as the Dennon.

The only thing I have not heard is a Denon next to a Marantz. I am waiting for my local shop to get both of the new models (Dennon xx08 and Marantz x002) in before I decide for sure what I am going to get. I have read about the differences between the two (Toyota vs. Lexus analgy) but has anyone heard a direct comparison between 2 similar amps on the same or similar speakers? If so I would like to get some impressions from others.
post #118 of 5099 Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I head the Onkyo 805 vs the 3808 side by side. With my speakers, the Denon sounded much much better...more musical, fuller, more realistic, etc.

Compared to the Denon, the Onkyo sounded thin and tinny...not in the same league at all.

YMMV.

fafner
post #119 of 5099 Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 AM

Hi everybody, I'm writing from Italy.
Today on the Marantz European website are available specifications and manuals for models SR4002 and SR5002.
http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm...vr&series=comp

Enjoy
post #120 of 5099 Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trake View Post

Hi everybody, I'm writing from Italy.
Today on the Marantz European website are available specifications and manuals for models SR4002 and SR5002.
http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm...vr&series=comp

Enjoy

Thanks for the link.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page