post #181 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Hey, like I said above, all of the other $1500 receivers have 5-6 logical video inputs. The new ones all have an HD player named input too. (Come on Marantz, naming an HDMI input "VCR"?) Frustrating. Hell, my 9-year old Denon AVR-2700 has 5 logical video inputs.

I'm still not getting it here. Aside from the labling conventions, it seems the same no matter what AVR I am hooking up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Yeah, you could easily program a macro on a newer learning remote to do this, but it would increase the switching time and still be less convenient. And now you are requiring people to spend another 3-figures on a remote because the receiver doesn't have enough logical inputs.

I hate to sound like I'm trolling or Marantz bashing, I'm very interested in the quality and setup of these receivers, just frustrated by these couple of issues that make no sense to me.

The remote on the Marantz sucks. No doubt. But I still find the same sorts of challenges no matter what modern AVR I am hooking up, really just doesn't much if any different to me.
post #183 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've already use a Harmony, so I guess this is a non-issue for me.

frankly with HDMI, its pointless segragate these by "Input" anymore. I'd look for mfgs to move to HDMI1, HDMI2, DigOpt1, etc with complete rename ability...that would be ideal.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #184 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Any idea of whether these receivers will be capable of 120Hz video refresh rates? I'm not sure whether or not it's necessary for HDMI 1.3a compliance.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #185 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi Guys, I have a full setup of Dahlquist speakers, they are rooted to the old Marantz family I'm thinking of the Marantz sr8002 to line it all up.

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR800 for a while. It's OK but I need to upgrade as I need the HDMI to name one.
I currently have a Pioner XM recever and it totally sounds horrid. The only thing available when I got it I am curoius if the built in XM units today are better, particularly in the Marantz? Have they gained any ground in the last couple of years.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #186 of 5086 Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

The remote on the Marantz sucks. No doubt. But I still find the same sorts of challenges no matter what modern AVR I am hooking up, really just doesn't much if any different to me.

If I recall, Panasonic 84TX had the ability to hardcode what audio went with what video. This way, I didn't have to worry if HDMI could trump component could trump svideo. It's minor, but annoying nontheless.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #187 of 5086 Old 10-06-2007, 01:20 AM

Hey,

anyone know if the recivers switch 1080p/24?
is 1080p/24 a part och the hdmi 1.3a spec.?
post #188 of 5086 Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Maybe I missed it but the new 002's are now on the .com website. See:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp
post #189 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Anybody have one of these yet? My favorite local ma and pops audio shop has them available via order, but none in the showroom yet.
post #190 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 PM

I was very close to ordering one but couldn't get passed the low weight (33lbs) of the units. Do Marantz receivers come close to their rated power? In comparison, the Onkyo 805 weighs 50lbs, the Yamaha V3800 weighs 38lbs, and the Denon 3808 weighs 39lbs. Similarly, power consumption was rated much lower for the Marantz versus the others, especially the Onkyo.

I created a thread to discuss this here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919724

I don't usually listen very loudly, but I usually use weight (and power consumption) as a gauge of how well built a receiver is. Since I couldn't audition the new Marantz receivers, I got paranoid and went with Yamaha instead.
post #191 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchsje View Post

I was very close to ordering one but couldn't get passed the low weight (33lbs) of the units. Do Marantz receivers come close to their rated power? In comparison, the Onkyo 805 weighs 50lbs, the Yamaha V3800 weighs 38lbs, and the Denon 3808 weighs 39lbs. Similarly, power consumption was rated much lower for the Marantz versus the others, especially the Onkyo.

I created a thread to discuss this here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919724

I don't usually listen very loudly, but I usually use weight (and power consumption) as a gauge of how well built a receiver is. Since I couldn't audition the new Marantz receivers, I got paranoid and went with Yamaha instead.

I know what you mean. I am on the fence myself, and I am now taking a closer look at the Denon and of course Pio94. I also have to say that the Marantz looks great. But... it is also built in China... it seems
post #192 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 PM

I guess one of the reasons for its light weight is that Marantz's new receivers do not implement many features implemented by Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon, like video upscaling (current consuming), LAN(internet radio/home network), usb (wma/flac/mp3). But, I like its simplicity of the design.
post #193 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegoer View Post

I guess one of the reasons for its light weight is that Marantz's new receivers do not implement many features implemented by Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon, like video upscaling (current consuming), LAN(internet radio/home network), usb (wma/flac/mp3). But, I like its simplicity of the design.

I'm not sure that is the case; the features you mention don't add much to weight. Weight is mainly a funciton of heatsink design; amps of output (weight of power supply, transformer, etc); and, in some cases build quality (thicker/heavier case, faceplate, etc, better isolation, etc). This is no guarantee that lower weight receivers will be inferior in any way; but these things in general are what makes one brand heavier than another (assuming the same amp classification, analog, etc; a more efficient amp can put out more current without heavy heatsinks).

Hal
post #194 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM

your are right. major contribution is power supply circuit and heat sink. More hardware for more features mean more current is required, in turn, larger power transformer and bigger heat sink are required. for example, video upscaling is quite current consuming. of course, this is just my guess as mentioned earlier. I like the design, but not "made in china".
post #195 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not having an Ethernet port for auto-firmware upgrades is a big time bummer!!!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #196 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

On the other hand, these are basically polished continuations of the 01 lines, so hopefully they'll be on the far side of the learning curve. Also I like the fact they left out all the complicated networking, media server stuff, which comprises almost all the fixes that Denon's been delivering in their firmware update from what I've been reading.

Neither the Denon's or these new Marantz's have sold me yet, still waiting on something to leap out.

post #197 of 5086 Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

Not having an Ethernet port for auto-firmware upgrades is a big time bummer!!!

They do have RS232C terminal for you to do the upgrade.
post #198 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchsje View Post

I was very close to ordering one but couldn't get passed the low weight (33lbs) of the units. Do Marantz receivers come close to their rated power?

As I would intend to use this only as a pre-pro, I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with the weight (or lack thereof)? It would actually be an advantage to me so that I wouldn't have to reinforce my shelf.

One of my main interests in pursuing this receiver is the 2 HDMI outs, so far, they are the only ones that seem to recognize what I see is a growing need for those with 2 display devices. With the new line, both the 7 and 8 series offer 2 outs, so for me the 8 offers no other real advantage other than a better remote for an extra $500. I can do much better with a Harmony or similar for much less $.
post #199 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The SR-8001 predecessor was tested by Home Theater Mag, just do a quick search to find the review. They tested the power with all-channels. I recall good results.
post #200 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM

So last night I went to Magnolia to listen to the Pio94, SR7001 (nobody I know of demoes the 7002 yet), and Denon 3808.

Test:

2CH Stereo w/ CD, (Rusted Roots and Mozart Clarinet concerto)
5.1 HT with Saving Private Ryan DTS (Omaha Beach scene)

Speakers:

2CH: Monitor Audio RB8
5.1: Vienna Accoustic system (about $3,000 for the whole setup). I do not remember the model.

Result (IMO):

With the two channel stereo: The Marantz was the most "musical" of the bunch especially compared to the PIO, but needed to be at higher volume. The Pioneer was a bit more "bright", but clearly had more "oomph". The Denon was pretty close to the Marantz in Sound, less powerful than the Pio though, and was also running the hotest.

In 5.1 setup, it was hard to tell them apart. They were all good. Clearly, the Pio had more power, and was running coolest.

I will probably go to another retailer today to do another comparison (maybe to include the Yammy 3800) also with Klipsch Reference Speakers. The Monitor audio sounded nice, very musical, but I did not find them very efficient.

Although it felt as the "least massive" of the bunch, and maybe the least appealing look in my opinion, the Denon might have the best sound/feature compromise.

Especially, it baffles me (no pun intended ) that the Pio lacks the inputs for "B" speakers in the back, whereas the Denon has 9 speaker input.

I have yet to decide how much I care about all of the network features of both the PIO/Denon. In the case I don't, the Marantz might be very appealing except for the fact that it is manufactured in China.

I will report back after I test them again with Klipsch Reference to see if that makes a big difference. (Incidently, I also stopped by another retailer to listen to the RF62, which they only had hooked up with the Yammy 2800, and was impressed by the sound, but I think mostly due to the speakers.
post #201 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They do have RS232C terminal for you to do the upgrade.

Not for *me* to do the upgrade. For service centers to do the upgrade. That's the annoying part.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #202 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, that's a turn off having to send it into service center. I think most could handle the firmware update...besides, whats the worst that could happen? You brick it and have to send it into service center? Duh.

But I guess if you're going to offer a 3yr warranty, you're going to do it your way.

Besides, look at all the confusion and trouble Denon's f/w upgrades are churning up right now. You need support staff trained to field all those kind of questions.

How about Marantz just delivers one that doesn't need updates. That would be a novelty now days I guess.

post #203 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

I have yet to decide how much I care about all of the network features of both the PIO/Denon. In the case I don't, the Marantz might be very appealing except for the fact that it is manufactured in China.

I will report back after I test them again with Klipsch Reference to see if that makes a big difference. (Incidently, I also stopped by another retailer to listen to the RF62, which they only had hooked up with the Yammy 2800, and was impressed by the sound, but I think mostly due to the speakers.

Regarding network features, I prefer to have my future Bluray player connected to network in order to support advanced BD profiles, and other media streaming including mp3, jpeg, and video. As far as I know, most of receivers do not support video streaming through the network, but some Bluray players do. Afterall, you need to connect your Bluray to network.
Very looking forward to your review results, thanks.
post #204 of 5086 Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Regarding network features, I prefer to have my future Bluray player connected to network in order to support advanced BD profiles, and other media streaming including mp3, jpeg, and video. As far as I know, most of receivers do not support video streaming through the network, but some Bluray players do. Afterall, you need to connect your Bluray to network.
Very looking forward to your review results, thanks.

Yes. I have the PS3 and the Tivo connected already, and essentially, I connect to my network through them. The only "drawbacks" are the following:

1) Tivo requires the PC to be on, and the Tivo server is somewhat unstable and slow, and is limited to Jpegs and mp3s. (there is a hack for reading mpeg file, but I don't find it works that well). Internet radio is limited to "Live365" service.

2) The PS3 works a lot better provided you install Twonky on the computer which once again has to be on. CDs can easily be ripped on the PS3, but the support for Covers, CD database is weak, and the space is limited by the 2.5" HD size (currently 250GB) provided that you want to upgrade the PS3 with such a HD. Also, the "access" features are currently weak (meaning that you cannot search a song by artist or genre, or year, etc...)

3) You could add an external hard drive to the PS3, but it has to be plugged in through the front (no back USB port), and has the same PS3 limitations.

4) Finally, probably the most annoying for me, PS3 is not able to stream FLAC. My goal is eventually to "rip" my 500+ CD collection in lossless format on a NAS. There are some that are PS3 compatible.

So, PS3 is supposed to have a "big" update announcement shortly. We all hope it will include DTS-MA bitstreaming (and/or decoding?). I also hope there may be lossless format support.

Another option is to go with a SONOS system, but then it gets pricey if you add up a $1000+ receiver and upgraded speakers.

So, it's all about making decisions

Let's face it, I am also having fun with the Research.
post #205 of 5086 Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

If someone buys the 8002 can you please take the cover off and take a few pics? I am still wondering how they managed to have a 780 watt power supply at a 33.1 lbs weight. It either has airplane propeller size fans to avoid heat sinks or is very efficient and thus produces little heat.

Yes. I'd like to see this as well. Or, even the inside of an 8001. Seeing that they weigh the same and both claim to sport torroidial transformers. Is there nothing else inside these things??
post #206 of 5086 Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered my SR7002 today.... Expect it by the end of the month.

My current (and first) receiver is a Pioneer $180 model that was on sale at Best Buy 2 years ago... Think I'll notice a big difference?
post #207 of 5086 Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

How Exciting. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I probably won't buy my new receiver until late November.
post #208 of 5086 Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

How Exciting. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I probably won't buy my new receiver until late November.

Well I'm no audiophile, not yet... Still young (25)... But I'll let you know =]

The 7002's will be in CA in about a week so expect them to hit your local dealers in about 2 weeks...

I'm moving into a house soon and won't be setting up my home theater stuff until about the 1st week of November... I will surely report back then...

What I'll have connected:

Sharp LC-46D82U
Marantz SR7002
Sony PS3
JBL Northridge Speakers (soon to be replaced by Snell speakers)
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
post #209 of 5086 Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 AM

Hey Gang,

Are there any authorized dealers willing to discount the 7002?

Thanks!

Tommy
post #210 of 5086 Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 AM

How is 7.1 LPCM a new feature? My 7001 outputs 7.1 out of my PS3 just fine.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page