AVS Forum banner

The Owner's thread for marantz sr7002 and sr8002 receivers

796K views 5K replies 630 participants last post by  Dragoson 
#1 ·
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubej /forum/post/11505579

It's very funny too see 1000+ posts on new onkyos.... but no post for new marantz receivers.

I'm not an expert but for me this means that onkyos, yammahas, denons.. are much better than marantz or offer a lot more sound for $

Br

You should definitely listen to some Marantz then. Although it's only my experience I've found their AVRs to be a step above the brands you've listed with the comparable price point models, and at the level of some lower end seperates.

You don't get to the front of the flock by following the sheep...

#5 ·
The specs on the 8002 look comparable to the Denon 4803ci

...less the THX...

Considering Denon and Marantz are close cousins. I have always found the Marantz models to be one step behind on technology to Denon.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaleris /forum/post/11500395

Marantz is a funny brand. It's not quite up there with Rotel, Arcam, and the big boys in terms of sound quality, but it's not quite the entry-level brands that build buzz with larger numbers of models each year incorporating the newest technology.

It's neither here, nor there, but I've found them to be an excellent balance for my price points, between the two types of equipment.

One mans opinion, I personally have owned all of those brands, My Marantz sounded better than the Arcam for sure and Denon. If you ask me Arcam and Rotel are overated.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubej /forum/post/11505579

It's very funny too see 1000+ posts on new onkyos.... but no post for new marantz receivers.

I'm not an expert but for me this means that onkyos, yammahas, denons.. are much better than marantz or offer a lot more sound for $

That's because there was no info. on the new Marantz AVRs until a few days ago, AFAIK.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaleris /forum/post/11500395

Marantz is a funny brand. It's not quite up there with Rotel, Arcam, and the big boys in terms of sound quality, but it's not quite the entry-level brands that build buzz with larger numbers of models each year incorporating the newest technology.

It's neither here, nor there, but I've found them to be an excellent balance for my price points, between the two types of equipment.

It is more correct to say that Marantz offers quality that extends beyond Denon and Rotel at both extremes.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca /forum/post/11515670

It is more correct to say that Marantz offers quality that extends beyond Denon and Rotel at both extremes.

Let's talk about the equipment, not my wording! I'm not sure why my little paragraph was attention-worthy enough to be corrected twice in this thread! I already stated that however people place Marantz in their minds, I still use Marantz exclusively when it comes to audio. I even posted pictures to emphasize getting more information on the AVRs. Speaking of that, that SR8002 looks wonderful!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaleris /forum/post/11516824

Let's talk about the equipment, not my wording! I'm not sure why my little paragraph was attention-worthy enough to be corrected twice in this thread! I already stated that however people place Marantz in their minds, I still use Marantz exclusively when it comes to audio. I even posted pictures to emphasize getting more information on the AVRs. Speaking of that, that SR8002 looks wonderful!

Thank you for the pics the 8002 looks awesome, in fact I would buy one right now if I could.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubej /forum/post/11500355

Hello

I have found out some info regarding new marantz receivers.

http://www.hdtv-space-forum.de/avrec...ge-t962.0.html

http://www.digitalvd.de/nachrichten/6158.html

There are 1000+ threads on onkyos, denon, yamahas... but very little talk about marantz future receivers. Why ? Are they overpriced or not as good as onkyos...

Thank you.

Best regards.

The Onkyos are getting such attention due to being ahead of the curve regarding features. HDMI 1.3, new codec decoding, Audessy, and Reon. They are the first to market with that.

It also doesn't hurt that the prices are relatively good.

Once the other manufacturers catch up in regards to features, the discussion will likely balance out. That said, Marantz generally doesn't move the number of units something like Onkyo or Denon does. That isn't really a question of quality however.

#24 ·
I can't read German (though my name is zimmer
) but from looking at the pictures doesn't it look like this isn't going to have a scalar? I didn't see anything on the faceplate saying Reon etc? I'm in the market for a new receiver and have been questioning whether a scalar is even something I need, so it wouldn't probably be a deal breaker for me.

Then too, it also seems that value of hdmi 1.3 is really limited (non-existent?), so maybe this new line will give me an opportunity to pick up the 7001 for cheap

#25 ·
On the phone last Oct. 06... (I know, I know, that is an eternity in this business) I asked a Marantz support rep if new models would be out in 07. He confidently said none are expected, this was also re-affirmed in Apr. 07 on an unrealted spport call regarding FW updates.

But, you really never know. Not that it really matters to me. Hell will freeze over before I replace my SR7001.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.