The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To be able to post a link....there, that's better. (spam protection).

What I wanted to ask in my second post was if this: http://www.amazon.com/s******nb_ss_g...SACD&x=11&y=23

Is the right SACD.

Sorry...my link to Amazon isn't working either.

Here's the title of what I found on Amazon:

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 [Special Edition] [Hybrid SACD] by Gerald Finley, Timothy Hugh, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Bernard Haitink (Audio CD - Sep 12, 2006).

Thanks...and sorry for taking this off topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi

With all the issues with T765 missing HDMI audio and T775 missing proper LPCM: Can anyone confirm if any of them support 1080p24 over HDMI ?
post #363 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Do the new NAD's have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA built in? The specs on the NAD website do not indicate that they are.

Stan
post #364 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If your source is 1080p24, and your display is 1080p24, yes, the NADs wil pass the 1080p24 HDMI signal.

No, the NADs do not have bitstream decoding of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA built in. Your player must convert these to LCPM (common with Dolby TrueHD; non-existant with DTS-MA) which is then passed to the rec'rs through the HDMI 1.3 input. Uncompressed LCPM is also passed this way. The NADs have a modular design, so a new board with bitstream decoding could always be added, though NAD is not working on one at this time.

Email from NAD on release dates of new rec'rs:
"When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars."
post #365 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob801 View Post

To be able to post a link....there, that's better. (spam protection).

What I wanted to ask in my second post was if this: http://www.amazon.com/s******nb_ss_g...SACD&x=11&y=23

Is the right SACD.

Sorry...my link to Amazon isn't working either.

Here's the title of what I found on Amazon:

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 [Special Edition] [Hybrid SACD] by Gerald Finley, Timothy Hugh, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Bernard Haitink (Audio CD - Sep 12, 2006).

Thanks...and sorry for taking this off topic.

that's the one
post #366 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

If your source is 1080p24, and your display is 1080p24, yes, the NADs wil pass the 1080p24 HDMI signal.

No, the NADs do not have bitstream decoding of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA built in. Your player must convert these to LCPM (common with Dolby TrueHD; non-existant with DTS-MA) which is then passed to the rec'rs through the HDMI 1.3 input. Uncompressed LCPM is also passed this way. The NADs have a modular design, so a new board with bitstream decoding could always be added, though NAD is not working on one at this time.

Email from NAD on release dates of new rec'rs:
"When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars."

seconded, on all points.
post #367 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post

Hi, John. Not being familiar with your setup, are you able to verify whether the T775 is able to play HDMI audio sources (CDs, SACDs, etc.) with your display powered off? Some HDMI receivers (Onkyo, apparently... there may be others) are unable to do so. Another "handshaking" issue, presumably.

TIA.

I have never tried to initiate audio with the display off, but I can confirm that once audio is playing, if I shut of my projector it will continue to play. When the projector powers down, there is a brief pause (about 1 second) during which the audio will cease, but it resumes. I presume as you do that this is a handshaking issue. I'll have to try initiating playback without my display on in the first place, but it will be a bit tricky since I need my display to navigate through menus

John
post #368 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

Your player must convert these to LCPM (common with Dolby TrueHD; non-existant with DTS-MA) which is then passed to the rec'rs through the HDMI 1.3 input

Just to confirm: This will _not_ work with T765 then, since it doesn't support audio over HDMI ? Correct ?
post #369 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsin View Post

Just to confirm: This will _not_ work with T765 then, since it doesn't support audio over HDMI ? Correct ?

Correct, assuming the T765's specs are accurate.
post #370 of 4310 Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc1 View Post

I have never tried to initiate audio with the display off, but I can confirm that once audio is playing, if I shut of my projector it will continue to play. When the projector powers down, there is a brief pause (about 1 second) during which the audio will cease, but it resumes. I presume as you do that this is a handshaking issue. I'll have to try initiating playback without my display on in the first place, but it will be a bit tricky since I need my display to navigate through menus

John

Thanks, John.
post #371 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post

Correct, assuming the T765's specs are accurate.

They are correct. I played around with this unit this weekend. It was setup powering a very interesting room. A PSB alpha setup with the smallest PSB sub. That 6i I think it was. What a great little setup it was. The DVD source was the master series dvd player with the 765 for the reciever and the above mentioned speakers. The auto setup was used and it worked flawlessly! What a great sounding setup! I couldn't get over the sound it was giving off. If you didn;t know what speakers you were using you would sware they were something much much larger. The 765 really brought out alot in this setup. I mean I don't want bask the alpha's. They are a real treat on the wallet for what you get, but the 765 deff was making them shine.

I wouldn't hesitate at all with the 765 if you don't mind not having audio over the hdmi sets.

jimi
post #372 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

I wouldn't hesitate at all with the 765 if you don't mind not having audio over the hdmi sets.

So, just to make sure I understand this correctly: The main disadvantages if I buy the T765 over the T775 would be (except "worse" sound and power and fewer connectors and all that):

1. With no audio over HDMI, I would need to use separate coax or optical cables for audio for everything I connect to the T765. These can then be assigned as audio sources for each HDMI source, so I can switch both at the same time and not really notice the difference in daily use ?

2. I would need to run a set of composit, s-video or component cables from the T765 to the TV to get OSD, since it doesn't work on HDMI.

3. I would need to run a set of audio cables from the T765 to the TV if I want to use the built in loudspeakers on the TV from time to time.

4. To get 1080p24, I would need a HDMI cable from the T765 to the TV, since component doesn't support that.

5. I wouldn't be able to use the fancy LPCM stuff in the future.

All in all it sums up to sound like a lot of cables going both into the T765 and up to the TV, when all that is needed for the T775 is a single HDMI cable.

This will be my very first surround receiver, and I will also buy a full new set of speakers, HD player and big flat TV. So the total cost will be quite high anyhow. The question is then: Are there other issues with the T765 which would make waiting (even more) for the T775 a better option?
post #373 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
"If you didn;t know what speakers you were using you would sware they were something much much larger. The 765 really brought out alot in this setup. I mean I don't want bask the alpha's."

The 765 has Audyssey setup but no EQ, so personally I'd attribute the sound mostly to the room and speakers.

Noah
post #374 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

The 765 has Audyssey setup but no EQ, so personally I'd attribute the sound mostly to the room and speakers.

Just getting the levels, phase and subwoofer adjusted properly is a huge benefit to 95%+ of the systems out there. It's rare that I've been in a customer's house where I didn't find really major setup or cabling problems. Corrected a biggie in a $50K system last night. But with so much to set up, it's hard for a normal person to logically think every thing through. Not a fan of auto setup for myself, but it really helps normal people trying to get it right on their own.

John
post #375 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:

So, just to make sure I understand this correctly: The main disadvantages if I buy the T765 over the T775 would be (except "worse" sound and power and fewer connectors and all that):

You have the rest pretty much figured out, but I certainly wouldn't call the sound quality "worse." The technology behind the amplifier and pre-amp stages is pretty much the same as in the t775. The T765 has less power on tap but that is about the only difference in the amplifier area. Aside from the power difference, the T765 eschews a full-fledged HDMI input for a simple HDMI video switcher. As you have pointed out, that means you get no HDMI audio or OSD via the HDMI output, however for many users this might not be an issue as they either don't have a player capable of HDMI audio output, or don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. Although many users in this forum are early HD adopters, we certainly don't represent the majority of consumers.

Benefits of this? The T765 is less costly than its bigger brothers. Also, since the construction of the pre-amp stage of this receiver is compatible with the T775 and T785 (at least as far as I understand it), there is the possibility of upgrades in the future.

Two things you didn't point out: no video transcoding and no Audyssey EQ. The T775 and T785 (as well as the T175) perform video transcoding, which means they will output analog video inputs via the HDMI output. As for EQ...when I purchased the T775, I did so thinking the HDMI audio features and the corresponding ability to listen to uncompressed audio would be the most significant for my setup. I was wrong. The Audyssey EQ (with NAD custom EQ curve) easily takes the cake as the single best thing about the T775--the sonic benefits of NAD EQ in my setup were that significant. The T765 does not include either feature.

Of course, you might have a perfectly designed acoustic space and see no improvement with the EQ, but for those of us with imperfect spaces, it's a terrific bonus.

The decision between the T765 and T775 comes down to three things in my opinion: whether or not you need a little extra power, whether or not you need HDMI audio features, and whether or not you want EQ. Just don't mistake "less power" with "less sound quality." One does not lead to the other, unless you are driving the amplifier beyond its means.

John
post #376 of 4310 Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Just getting the levels, phase and subwoofer adjusted properly is a huge benefit to 95%+ of the systems out there."

I thought lots of receivers did a decent job of that these days.

"The decision between the T765 and T775 comes down to two things in my opinion: whether or not you need a little extra power, and whether or not you need HDMI audio features."

What about the Audyssey EQ that you like so much?

Noah
post #377 of 4310 Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 AM

Thank you for your response. By "worse" (and not worse) I mainly ment the lack of Audyssey EQ, and not that the sound of the T765 in any way was bad :-)
post #378 of 4310 Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"Just getting the levels, phase and subwoofer adjusted properly is a huge benefit to 95%+ of the systems out there."

I thought lots of receivers did a decent job of that these days.

"The decision between the T765 and T775 comes down to two things in my opinion: whether or not you need a little extra power, and whether or not you need HDMI audio features."

What about the Audyssey EQ that you like so much?

heh...I actually edited my response right after I originally sent it because I forgot to include this little important detail. Just a mistake that I overlooked for about 5 minutes -- you must have responded in the few minutes that it took me to re-write. check out the post now and you'll see the changes.

John
post #379 of 4310 Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess so, thanks

Noah
post #380 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM

I have a T765 and love it. The HDMI works as a switcher for the audio as well. It does not support audio in the receiver but it does pass audio to the TV so you will not need to patch cables to the TV for audio.
post #381 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM

While I'm now leaning more toward the T175/T955 combo for my 5.1 system, I thought I'd post this response I just received from NAD, for those that might be interested...
Quote:

Submitted Category: Receivers
Gary B
10-23-2007
16:04
T775 A/V Receiver
I am very interested in the new T775. I understand that initial versions of this model are (surprisingly) unable to accept multi-channel LPCM over HDMI (2-channel only), and that this will be fixed in subsequent shipments. The T785 and T175, when released, will apparently not have this limitation.

When will the "fixed" T775s be available?

Thanks in advance,
Gary B

Karen Pritchard
11-05-2007
12:33
re: T775 A/V Receiver
Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

Any T775 that you order now, should have that capability. Please contact an authorized NAD dealer only, and ask him prior to purchasing if your particular unit will be fine.

Best regards,

NAD Electronics

post #382 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Gary, that's great news.

So much for the "in the know" guy I talked to and no fix til CES.

Doesn't say much for NAD's consistency of information, either.

Maybe I'll ask again and go for the tie-breaker.

Noah
post #383 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Anyone care to comment on the the advantages of going the seperates route. In this case the 975 appears to be the same product packaged as one.
Could there be that much sonic difference in still going with the seperates.
post #384 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM

The reasons for going the separates route have been discussed at length elsewhere, and are summarized in the product descriptions on NAD's website. That being said, with receivers as good as NAD's, I expect the sonic differences between the T175/T955 and T775 to be vanishingly small, and the T775 is unquestionably better "value".

OTOH, I have a personal preference for separates, they will fit in my existing rack, and I can afford the 40% price differential. Particularly in the case of the T175, I appreciate that NAD doesn't force me to accept a gigantic pre-pro which is physically no smaller than their top-of-the-line receiver, which is the case with many other manufacturers.
post #385 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Hi. In regards to video up-converting, the T775 manual states:

"This format change is accomplished by encoding the analog video signal into a digital signal using a very high quality digital encoder to maintain the best possible picture quality. Once in a digital format, it can be decoded into any of the three standard analog video formats. These analog outputs are also up-converted to HDMI output. Video output availability will depend on the resolution capability of your TV/Monitor."

They use the phrase "very high quality digital encoder", as would be expected from any good marketing department. Does however anyone know how good this up-converting is compared to the built in stuff on high end flat panel TVs ? I am sure the marketing departments for the TV will also state they use high quality components for the up-converting. But by experience, is there any way of guessing which of them will do the job best ? I'm here thinking of up-converting from DVD and other SD signals to full 1080p HD.

I ask this since the T765 doesn't have up-converting to 1080p (only does hdmi switching), and I hence wonder if the up-converting on the T775 is worth the extra money (and wait for availability), or if the job is better handled by the TVs themselves (or from the DVD player directly, let's say a DENON DVD-1740) ?
post #386 of 4310 Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:

...I ask this since the T765 doesn't have up-converting to 1080p...

Neither do the T775, T785 or T175. They do not have built-in video processors. They merely are able to digitize incoming analog video to make it available at the HDMI output in its original resolution. There is no capability to "up-convert", say from SD to 1080p.

I'll quote from the website:
Quote:

With HDMI digital video/audio interconnection fast gaining acceptance, implementation becomes a key feature for all next-gen AV gear. Yet here as always NAD has elected to follow the Hippocratic principle of First, do no harm. Consequently, while all four new NADs include a trio of HDMI v1.3 inputs and switching, they eschew the chip-based video-DSP upscaling that looks so attractive in competitors' brochures, but that so frequently results in video indistinguishable from, or in fact actually inferior to the original source. Instead, the T785, T775, and T175 pre-pro perform superbly high-quality HDMI cross-conversion, delivering all analog-video inputs (composite, S-, or component video) to HDMI with full quality, permitting a single-cable link to the video display. The T 765 provides straightforward HDMI switching (video-only), but all four designs perform video transcoding, so that signals from any analog-video input (composite, S-, or component) are always present at any of these analog outputs.

post #387 of 4310 Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, I guess it's true:

Karen Pritchard
11-06-2007
10:17 re: T775 - Conflicting information from NAD
When you go to purchase your T775 from an authorized dealer, please have the dealer call tech support, and Mr. Mike Kostiw will verify whether or not the serial number of the unit you are purchasing has the capability that you are after.

Best regards,

NAD Electronics

Noah
post #388 of 4310 Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Will these units play the latest HDMI audio formats via bitsream such as TrueHD, DD+, and DTS-HD MA? I am very intested in checking one of these out but I want to make sure if is processing all of the audio formats that the Japanese players are.
post #389 of 4310 Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just happened to see this "mini review" of the NAD T-775, very interesting (quote):

NAD T775 quick impression

Just got in my CD/DVD player yesterday, the Denon 3930CI. Hooked it up in stereo to the NAD (analog bypass mode) and Bi-Amped my ML Aerius Is, which is simple BTW just select amp mode from OSD. I have to say that I am very impressed so far. Listened to the first two tracks of the remastered Dire Straits Love Over Gold and the detail, soundstage, accuracy were impressive, plus there was a real immediacy to the sound, or you might say very liquid. While the bass extension does not match my former setup of Museatex Amp/Preamp, the rest of the spectrum was as good if not better. Bass extension not an issue as a ML Grotto I is on its way anyway. Initially very happy and will do some A/V setup over the coming weekend.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=934795
post #390 of 4310 Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
nek

Initial Production date for the T785 will be the 4th December, with a slight possibility that this will be brought forward.

The T175 Processor will be after this

Ken
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page