2Likes

post #3871 of 4310 Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterc View Post

Have you tried changing the PS3 to PCM? I never had any luck with the PS3 and the VM200/AM200 combo with bitstreaming (but when I had those cards it was pre 1.34). If you don't care about video upconversion then the VM150 does seem to be the solution, for me it was the ONLY solution as I wanted 3D capability. There were some initial teething problems with the VM150, but they seemed to be ironed out now.

Yes, I've tried all possible configurations to no avail. The only thing that has worked with PS3 is to switch the audio to optical output. I could live with that if it weren't for the problems with cable (pops & clicks) and Dolby Digital dropouts. 1.34 firmware actually made my problems worse. Been offered a refund or a switch to VM150/150x. I'm not planning on 3d anytime soon, but wonder if the video processing in the VM150 would offer any advantage over going back to the VM100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4310 Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat8321 View Post

Yes, I've tried all possible configurations to no avail. The only thing that has worked with PS3 is to switch the audio to optical output. I could live with that if it weren't for the problems with cable (pops & clicks) and Dolby Digital dropouts. 1.34 firmware actually made my problems worse. Been offered a refund or a switch to VM150/150x. I'm not planning on 3d anytime soon, but wonder if the video processing in the VM150 would offer any advantage over going back to the VM100.

There is no video processing in VM150. Only VM200. Even the latest receivers have VM150. I would highly recommend you take the VM150 if NAD is offering you that. VM100 is a step backward unless you cannot live without 4 HDMI inputs. VM150 has been rock solid for me. However, you could have other hardware issues that are not MDC related!
post #3873 of 4310 Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

There is no video processing in VM150. Only VM200. Even the latest receivers have VM150. I would highly recommend you take the VM150 if NAD is offering you that. VM100 is a step backward unless you cannot live without 4 HDMI inputs. VM150 has been rock solid for me. However, you could have other hardware issues that are not MDC related!

Thanks for the input. I think I will go for the VM150 and hope for the best. I didn't have any issues before the upgrade to the VM200 so hopefully this will cure my ills. I can always add the vm150x later if I need more HDMI.
post #3874 of 4310 Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:

If you've been offered the switch I'd take it. I was pretty disappointed with my 'upgrade' to the VM200 too, I wish I'd never upgraded and just went from the VM100 to the VM150. It seems the VM150 is the MDC card NAD is currently putting their development efforts into.

One last thing... I recently purchased a bunch of assorted length HDMI cables when re-organizing my AV rack. Everything was working great until I switched to my PS3. Sync was lost every 2-3 seconds, I swapped the cable out with another 2' cable and the same issue occurred. Changing to a 3' or 5' cable removed the issue. I thought I'd mention it because it was a problem that appeared with the same equipment most of us are using. The same 2' cable worked fine with my BDP-93.
post #3875 of 4310 Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Hey all, I tried to search this thread but came up empty, so if this has been covered, sorry.

I have a NAD T-775 HD2 with 1.34 firmware, AM200 and VM100, bought in December. I have cable box, Blueray, and a Mac Mini connected via optical cables. Occasionally, the unit switches off, almost like an overload circuit has flipped. Nothing works until I turn off the main power switch on the back then turn it back on. This has happened with each of the three systems connected at one time or another.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
David
post #3876 of 4310 Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM

I've had my unit power down when it was turned up very loudly (way above levels I'd ever use it at), I had assumed it was for overload protection. I only had to turn it back on normally though. What volume levels were you at? I would be interested in any feedback on this issue too. It would be handy for the receiver to issue a code via the front display for the reason, but it just powers back on normally.

Are you going through any kind of power conditioning (UPS/AVR)? If you are try again bypassing any external power system.
post #3877 of 4310 Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info xterc. It's happening at normal listening levels...probably around -27 or so. I have it connected to a surge protector, but no UPS.

I have noticed I can reproduce it if I skip through songs or skip through commercials on the DVR. I'll play around some more. I also sent a message off to NAD tech support.
post #3878 of 4310 Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostock View Post

Thanks for the info xterc. It's happening at normal listening levels...probably around -27 or so. I have it connected to a surge protector, but no UPS.

I have noticed I can reproduce it if I skip through songs or skip through commercials on the DVR. I'll play around some more. I also sent a message off to NAD tech support.

I have a t775hd upgraded to a vm150 and I don't have any such problems except on two occasions. The problem I had was coming out of standby. When I tried to turn it on using the remote, nothing happened. When I pressed the front button nothing happened either. Then I powered off in the back and the back on. The it all worked. I cannot replicate this though. I wonder if you have a hw problem.
post #3879 of 4310 Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM

One last thing... I recently purchased a bunch of assorted length HDMI cables when re-organizing my AV rack. Everything was working great until I switched to my PS3. Sync was lost every 2-3 seconds, I swapped the cable out with another 2' cable and the same issue occurred. Changing to a 3' or 5' cable removed the issue. I thought I'd mention it because it was a problem that appeared with the same equipment most of us are using. The same 2' cable worked fine with my BDP-93.[/quote]

The only difference in the cables was the length? Interesting. What I don't understand (well, actually there's a lot) is why my PS3 plays BluRays perfectly fine with an occasional audio dropout over the same HDMI cable and all other programming (streaming, video games, etc.) will barely pass audio at all. Is the handshake protocol that much different?
post #3880 of 4310 Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One last thing... I recently purchased a bunch of assorted length HDMI cables when re-organizing my AV rack. Everything was working great until I switched to my PS3. Sync was lost every 2-3 seconds, I swapped the cable out with another 2' cable and the same issue occurred. Changing to a 3' or 5' cable removed the issue. I thought I'd mention it because it was a problem that appeared with the same equipment most of us are using. The same 2' cable worked fine with my BDP-93.

The only difference in the cables was the length? Interesting. What I don't understand (well, actually there's a lot) is why my PS3 plays BluRays perfectly fine with an occasional audio dropout over the same HDMI cable and all other programming (streaming, video games, etc.) will barely pass audio at all. Is the handshake protocol that much different?

Funny. I had a similar thing happen to me and I thought it was a bad cable. I bought one 2' cable and connected it to my ps3 as well as my Sony s5000es bd player. I had occasional dropouts with both devices with that cable. I used a 3' cable and the problem was gone. Hmm. I guess there is more to this than my alleged bad cable. I got it from monoprice.
post #3881 of 4310 Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Hi Folks,
First time post but wanted to thank all of you. I have been reading this forum and others (Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Sherwood Newcastle)since June while trying to decide which receiver to put my money into. I have auditioned several units and finally bought the NAD 787. I purchased it in early January and have had it now for a few weeks. I think I was the first unit delivered in the States.I am very impressed with the quality and overall sound reproduction.
Only one quirk was the Audyssey setup, at first it didn't like the mic that came with the unit, so I used an old one. That mic would not go over 4 speakers before giving a "to much noise" message. I put the new mic in and it worked flawlessly. Go figure? The XT is not as good as the trinov in the Newcastle, but works well enough.
No clipping, no dropouts, flawless integration with other components.
It has the VM150, VM150X and the AM200. I don't have a 3D set but the picture quality is an improvement over the old Onkyo it replaced. Did I need all of the inputs and extras? No, but I wanted the watts and may add afew things over the years.
Thanks again for all the posts and information over the last months.

System as follows:
Aperion 5T fronts with 5C, 5DB surrounds and 4T's back.
Panasonic 50" plasma and Panny BD35. along with a Sony 300 CD player. Clearaudio turntable
post #3882 of 4310 Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Will a kind soul please send me the v1.34 firmware for my T785 pretty please

EDIT: File recieved, thanks a lot!

Thanks
/Jim
post #3883 of 4310 Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

My experience with dropouts from T775 non HD (whatever firmware) and only when audio is bitstreamed/routed via HDMI. With SPDIF no problems:

I use a projector for a display and everything is hooked to the receiver. I mostly use HTPC and Oppo BDP83; seldom use a PS3.

If projector is turned off, no dropouts whatsoever and no matter what source!!

Turn the projector on (and I have 2 – one HDMI 1.2 and one HDMI 1.4) dropouts start to occur, depending on source and mainly on source setup.
- SACD from Oppo was a pain to listen to. Some CD’s also.
- Videos from PC were ok via coax bitstreaming, but mostly not ok when bitstreaming thru HDMI.

What I noticed & done:
PC HDMI bitstreaming: On 24p source no problems and the PJ was correctly switching to that resolution.
On 50i or 60i material, where the PJ was using 50/60p instead, audio dropouts occur.
I finally managed to get the PJ and PC (using madvr and Nvidia custom res) to switch to 50/60i resolutions and surprise: no more dropouts.

Oppo with display output set on auto, the resolution given when playing CD/SACD was 1080-50p – dropouts big time
Changed display output to source direct and resolution changed to 1080-50i. Surprise: no more dropouts! If by mistake the HDMI handshaking did not work well and had 50p a restart of Oppo would output 50i and problems solved.

I think NAD has to do some work on these issues as sound problems should not depend on display/resolution used.
Changing cables, as suggested by NAD, did not do anything to stop dropouts; only the above steps worked.

Maybe my experience can help some of you with similar issues.
Cheers.
post #3884 of 4310 Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio1967 View Post

My experience with dropouts from T775 non HD (whatever firmware) and only when audio is bitstreamed/routed via HDMI. With SPDIF no problems:

I use a projector for a display and everything is hooked to the receiver. I mostly use HTPC and Oppo BDP83; seldom use a PS3.

Turn the projector on (and I have 2 - one HDMI 1.2 and one HDMI 1.4) dropouts start to occur, depending on source and mainly on source setup.
- SACD from Oppo was a pain to listen to. Some CD's also.
- Videos from PC were ok via coax bitstreaming, but mostly not ok when bitstreaming thru HDMI.

What I noticed & done:
PC HDMI bitstreaming: On 24p source no problems and the PJ was correctly switching to that resolution.
On 50i or 60i material, where the PJ was using 50/60p instead, audio dropouts occur.
I finally managed to get the PJ and PC (using madvr and Nvidia custom res) to switch to 50/60i resolutions and surprise: no more dropouts.

Oppo with display output set on auto, the resolution given when playing CD/SACD was 1080-50p - dropouts big time
Changed display output to source direct and resolution changed to 1080-50i. Surprise: no more dropouts! If by mistake the HDMI handshaking did not work well and had 50p a restart of Oppo would output 50i and problems solved.

I think NAD has to do some work on these issues as sound problems should not depend on display/resolution used.
Changing cables, as suggested by NAD, did not do anything to stop dropouts; only the above steps worked.

Cheers.

Have you tried the latest firmware 1.34? Also 1080p60 and 1080p50 require more bandwidth than others you listed. Cables can have the issue. I had a 2 ft cable that had an issue with even 1080p24. Changing that out fixed my problem. I have a 775hd.
post #3885 of 4310 Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the latest firmware 1.34? Also 1080p60 and 1080p50 require more bandwidth than others you listed. Cables can have the issue. I had a 2 ft cable that had an issue with even 1080p24. Changing that out fixed my problem. I have a 775hd.

Yes tried. Same result. True what you say about bandwidth.
I did not say it, but 25p content was playing ok when PJ was on 50p.

However PJ on and off influence is too much to my opinion.
Changed all cables and now I have many cables around that did not change much.
post #3886 of 4310 Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio1967 View Post

Turn the projector on (and I have 2 – one HDMI 1.2 and one HDMI 1.4) dropouts start to occur, depending on source and mainly on source setup.
- SACD from Oppo was a pain to listen to. Some CD’s also.

What I noticed & done:

Oppo with display output set on auto, the resolution given when playing CD/SACD was 1080-50p – dropouts big time

Cheers.

I had to build a custom monitor.inf file that had the video profile of my TV and the audio profile of the NAD to get everything to work with my nVidia 470GTX (the T785 isn't supported by 3DTV play for example).
post #3887 of 4310 Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:

I had to build a custom monitor.inf file that had the video profile of my TV and the audio profile of the NAD to get everything to work with my nVidia 470GTX (the T785 isn't supported by 3DTV play for example).

Wow!
Madvr does the job well and 3D is not for me.
post #3888 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I just purchased the T775 HD2 as part of a HT install a couple months ago, and was a little surprised it only came with the AM200 / VM100 combination. I was kind of expecting the VM 150 card to be included.

I am running 3D regularly (and it works) to a Sony 95ES projector. Would upgrading to the VM150/150x have an impact on image quality? Just trying to get a sense if there's added image quality or capability (i.e. I notice I'm only getting 24 bit deep color vs 36 bit that's being pushed to the unit from the Oppo BDP93).

Thanks!

AV stuff here
post #3889 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM

I believe there is an upgraded version (HDMI 1.4a) of the VM100 that comes with the HD2. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for the deep colour comment, I don't think there is a blu ray disc that has 36 bit encoding. The VM150 had a deep colour issue that a recent firmware fixed.
post #3890 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I believe there is an upgraded version (HDMI 1.4a) of the VM100 that comes with the HD2. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for the deep colour comment, I don't think there is a blu ray disc that has 36 bit encoding. The VM150 had a deep colour issue that a recent firmware fixed.

Thanks, that would be helpful to know. I certainly am passing 3D right now with the VM100, and if it ain't broken.... just trying to get a sense if there's quality improvements. I also have 4 inputs, and so would need to get both the VM150+VM150x to make that work (and don't want to get into switchers, etc.)

AV stuff here
post #3891 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I bought the same unit at the same time with the same hope for the VM150 (the description said 3/2 not 4/1) and the same disappointment.

I'm surprised you don't have HDMI issues. Mine was horrible, especially with a DirecTV box - couldn't run native, just too much mess.

I decided, since neither was a sure thing, that $500 for a respectable VP was a better deal than $700 for a repeater, and got a DVDO Edge Green.

Still some hinkiness with HDMI, but I can run native on DTV no problems and it's nice to have a good scaler for HDTV.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #3892 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. The VM100 (HDMI 1.3) that came in my T775HD was flawless. No problems whatsover, however, I only used it with Apple TV 1, PS3, Sony S5000ES and my iMac (DVI-HDMI). Everyone of these worked properly. I do however, have a VM150 now (I took Apple TV 1 out of my HDMI since I only use it for audio for my whole home system).

I believe the reason the HD2 comes with an upgraded VM100 is because it has 4 inputs. That is why the T777 comes with VM150+VM150x. Personally, if you don't have 3D, it is better to get a T775HD on sale (doubtful since they are probably sold out). I also wonder why NAD spent money upgrading the VM100 when they could have just put VM150 out - but some people would have been mad that they lost on HDMI input. If you want to use VM150X on the T775, you have to give up component video board (no other space available). I don't use component video either!
post #3893 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
If I was grumpy I'd say we as consumers of CE stuff are being abused.

I replaced a BD-55 and Onkyo 875 with a Oppo 93 and the 775HD2. The NAD came in first, and I promptly lost the ability to bitstream from the BD-55. As soon as the Oppo arrived, it was back. So, if I had just intended to upgrade the receiver I'd have lost functionality.

Then, based on your experience, it seems that I lost HDMI functionality to gain a feature (3D pass-through) that I never use. Sheesh ...

And of course, there's HDMI issues all over the place with many products. Maybe by the time I upgrade again they will have figured out how to make stuff work together.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #3894 of 4310 Old 03-03-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the main reasons for these incompatibilities is HDMI. Oh well. At least it is maturing. Fortunately, since I don't have to deal with cable boxes (don't have cable), I am pretty error free with the limited set of equipment that I have connected to my NAD T775. In fact, I don't have any problems at all and the performance is rock solid. I had a HK AVR 745 before this for 4 years and while that was solid too, there were several shortcomings like only 2 HDMI inputs and limitation of 1080i (no 1080p).
post #3895 of 4310 Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I were watching the Bluray version of "Warrior". Sony S5000ES connected to the T7775HD through HDMI. Klipsch Reference RF5, RC7, RS35 speakers. I typically watch it movies at -23dB especially at night time. There were several previews before the movie, I was skipping through the previews and suddenly I watched the mini OSD for the volume level going up. It went up all the way to -18dB. I thought at first may be I pressed on the remote by mistake. I lowered the volume back to -23dB. A few minutes later, it happened again and this time I was not even holding the remote. There was not even line of sight with the remote. The volume went up again. What could have happened? This is dangerous. My klipsch are very efficient and get very loud. I want to make sure this does not happen when I am not around. It did not happen during the rest of the movie, so I cannot repeat it at will.

Has this happened to anyone of you?
post #3896 of 4310 Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:

My wife and I were watching the Bluray version of "Warrior". Sony S5000ES connected to the T7775HD through HDMI. Klipsch Reference RF5, RC7, RS35 speakers. I typically watch it movies at -23dB especially at night time. There were several previews before the movie, I was skipping through the previews and suddenly I watched the mini OSD for the volume level going up. It went up all the way to -18dB. I thought at first may be I pressed on the remote by mistake. I lowered the volume back to -23dB. A few minutes later, it happened again and this time I was not even holding the remote. There was not even line of sight with the remote. The volume went up again. What could have happened? This is dangerous. My klipsch are very efficient and get very loud. I want to make sure this does not happen when I am not around. It did not happen during the rest of the movie, so I cannot repeat it at will.

Do You have ghosts?? =)
post #3897 of 4310 Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Try turning it off and on via the rear panel power switch. Turn it off, wait 5 seconds; then turn it on again. I find that method can clear occasional problems I have run into.

Be seeing you!
post #3898 of 4310 Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
So it's like a computer?

Person "my computer is not running right"
Me "have you turned it off and back on again?"
Person "wow, that fixed it. Just like last time"
Me "yeah, wonder if there could be a pattern here"

:-)
post #3899 of 4310 Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Yes, that happened a few times for me too. But now it is some time since then (maybe half a year ago), and I haven't experienced that anymore. I have no idea why this happened.

The first time it happened it was similar to what happened to you. Two times in a row in a short time between it just went up, but for me it was not only from -23dB to -18dB. It was far more, and nothing happened when trying to use the remote to lower the volume down. Had to use the volume knob on the front. After using the knob the remote worked fine again.

Another time it happened I left home for maybe 15 minutes, and when I came back the TV news was on very loud volume.

Just for your info I have T785 (non HD version) and some old firmware (maybe 1.16, but not sure if I remember correctly)
post #3900 of 4310 Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer View Post

So it's like a computer?

Person "my computer is not running right"
Me "have you turned it off and back on again?"
Person "wow, that fixed it. Just like last time"
Me "yeah, wonder if there could be a pattern here"

:-)

The more high tech our equipment gets, more ghosts come in Have you seen iRobot. Love the movie!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page