The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 145 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #4321 of 4343 Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Bob 13 View Post
The latest firmware for the T785 is now available website NADElectronics.com / T785 / Manuals and Downloads.

The software version is TXX5_upgrade_19_20140407

It will upgrade your T785 ( VM150 / VM150X/ AM200) to:
MCU: v1.44
DSP: v1.05b
Video: v1.11
UART: v1.05

Kindest regards.

RB13
Can you post the link to download the file? I used to get them from NAD directly, but if they have provided a link, that will be great too. I am running 1.39 for the MCU on my T775HD (with VM150). Looks like the 1.44 is newer! What does this fix compared to the 1.39. Also, my video is at 1.05 to 1.06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4343 Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://nadelectronics.com/download-a...5-V144Video111

Be seeing you!

Last edited by cctvtech; 01-21-2015 at 05:36 PM.
post #4323 of 4343 Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post
Thanks. I upgraded successfully just now. Haven't tested it yet. Any ideas what has changed between the versions?
post #4324 of 4343 Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Thanks. I upgraded successfully just now. Haven't tested it yet. Any ideas what has changed between the versions?
No idea but I'll probably upgrade my t785HD this weekend. I have to get my old laptop charged up for the job since it is the only device I own with a serial port. Currently running older firmware: MCU: v1.34.

Be seeing you!
post #4325 of 4343 Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
No idea but I'll probably upgrade my t785HD this weekend. I have to get my old laptop charged up for the job since it is the only device I own with a serial port. Currently running older firmware: MCU: v1.34.
I don't have any pc products at home. I use my work laptop. Now I have a work laptop that does not have serial port and I was able to do it successfully using a usb to serial adapter.
post #4326 of 4343 Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have any pc products at home. I use my work laptop. Now I have a work laptop that does not have serial port and I was able to do it successfully using a usb to serial adapter.
I don't have one of those but my previous experience with a few USB-to-Serial adapters has not been good. The main issue I've run into is that USB ports randomly assign IRQs and programs like HyperTerminal may work one time, then not work the next time because of that.

Be seeing you!
post #4327 of 4343 Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I don't have one of those but my previous experience with a few USB-to-Serial adapters has not been good. The main issue I've run into is that USB ports randomly assign IRQs and programs like HyperTerminal may work one time, then not work the next time because of that.
It is really no problem to use a serial-to-USB-adapter. If you plug it into the same USB-port each time it will get the same com port every time.
You just open Control Panel and look under Ports (Com & LPT) to see which com port it is.
post #4328 of 4343 Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
This is what they replied to me:

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre regarding firmware updates for the T787. Please be advised that the new software will improve the HDMI compatibility with various sources.

Be sure to keep any previous downloads that you had in case you have to back out the upgrade. The last version cause some issues with an older Tivo HD I had. .Audio issues on commercial skips.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4329 of 4343 Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 AM

Liked: 10
When I read the firmware version from my 785 it says MCU: V1.34 but the firmware loader says V1.44??
My DSP and Video was older then the current one so I upgraded only them.
post #4330 of 4343 Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the upgrade yesterday. Not sure if it's my imagination but if I do a 10 sec rewind or commercial skip on my TiVo, it seems like the sound volume is slightly quieter when playback resumes and over a couple seconds the volume is back to where it was. Anyone else notice this? It could be a way to eliminate pops but I'm just guessing. I never noticed this before.

Also I didn't do a system reset. I didn't want to have to recalibrate Audyssey. (Test tones drive the dog crazy!)

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4331 of 4343 Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's nice to see that NAD put firmware updates on their web site. I am still running the original fw since the day I bought my T775 several years ago. I am running win7 on an iMac via bootcamp. Does anyone have a brand suggestion for the USB to serial port adapter? I am looking at buying a TRENDnet USB to RS-232 DB9 serial converter on amazon. I will need a longer cable from the converter to the T775. Is it a straight through cable or a null modem cable?

tia,
Mike
post #4332 of 4343 Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekump View Post
It's nice to see that NAD put firmware updates on their web site. I am still running the original fw since the day I bought my T775 several years ago. I am running win7 on an iMac via bootcamp. Does anyone have a brand suggestion for the USB to serial port adapter? I am looking at buying a TRENDnet USB to RS-232 DB9 serial converter on amazon. I will need a longer cable from the converter to the T775. Is it a straight through cable or a null modem cable?

tia,
Mike
Straight through cable. The adapter I used had a cable built in and I just used that from my Lenovo laptop. I have an iMac too but I don't have windows on it.
post #4333 of 4343 Old 02-07-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Well, my first crack at this firmware upgrade did not go well. The receiver turned off on its own mid-upgrade and the laptop crashed. After several attempts and a system restore, I am able to log onto the laptop and am running system file checker on it.

The t785 had to be powered off/on with the rear panel switch and came back up with the older firmware version. At least it's not bricked...

I'm going to try a factory reset on the t785 before my next attempt (fingers crossed). I could live with the older firmware but was hoping the new one would fix the pops I get when changing channels on the cable box.

Be seeing you!

Last edited by cctvtech; 02-07-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #4334 of 4343 Old 02-07-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, the second time worked. I had to copy the files to the laptop and run the program from there, instead of from the USB drive.

All is good. I notice slight differences in speaker levels and crossover points from the previous Audessey calibration but not major. I think it actually sounds a bit better.

Be seeing you!
post #4335 of 4343 Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been running on MCU: v1.16 for several years on my T785 (no HD/HD2 and no VM150 / VM150X/ AM200 etc. HW upgrades). As I sometimes suffer from cracks and pops when starting/stopping media, I thought that I would give the latest firmware a try. Which I regret now...

The fw loader upgraded to the following versions:
MCU: v1.39
DSP: v1.05a

Maybe there is HW upgrade required the get to the latest MCU: v1.44 ? The Video version was not even showing up in the fw loader.

I did a factory reset, set everything up again and did the Audessey calibration. Now when playing videos there are some small interrupts in the sound every minute or so. It is pretty random so sometimes it happens more often and sometimes it happens after a few minutes. However it happens that often that it annoys me. The video is also worse than before. Especially in camera sweeping scenes. It's like there is no sync or it cannot cope with the bit stream.

I will try another factory reset tomorrow and see if that helps.

Is it possible to downgrade the fw? Maybe you need to have the fw sw for that version you want to downgrade to? If so, then I wonder if there is someone out there sitting on v1.16 fw (or close to that ) that could post it to me?
BR
post #4336 of 4343 Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 PM

I was able to update the firmware on my T775 with win7 running on my iMac via bootcamp. I used a TRENDnet USB to RS-232 DB9 serial converter. It came with a CD that contained the needed driver. Both the driver and the firmware installed shockingly easy and w/o error. This is the first fw update since owning the T775.

Before .................. After
Main v1.22 -------> v1.39
DSP v1.03b -----> v1.05b
Video v1.01 -------> v1.02
UART v1.04 -------> v1.05

I reset the receiver at the end of the update, so I'll need to go back in and run the Audyssey setup. Probably won't do this until next weekend after I update the firmware in my sub. I didn't have any presets set up, so no loss there. Not really sure what I would use them for anyways. Not sure what the firmware updates fixed, but I did see at least one new menu option.
post #4337 of 4343 Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurPak68 View Post
I have been running on MCU: v1.16 for several years on my T785 (no HD/HD2 and no VM150 / VM150X/ AM200 etc. HW upgrades). As I sometimes suffer from cracks and pops when starting/stopping media, I thought that I would give the latest firmware a try. Which I regret now...

The fw loader upgraded to the following versions:
MCU: v1.39
DSP: v1.05a

Maybe there is HW upgrade required the get to the latest MCU: v1.44 ? The Video version was not even showing up in the fw loader.

I did a factory reset, set everything up again and did the Audessey calibration. Now when playing videos there are some small interrupts in the sound every minute or so. It is pretty random so sometimes it happens more often and sometimes it happens after a few minutes. However it happens that often that it annoys me. The video is also worse than before. Especially in camera sweeping scenes. It's like there is no sync or it cannot cope with the bit stream.

I will try another factory reset tomorrow and see if that helps.

Is it possible to downgrade the fw? Maybe you need to have the fw sw for that version you want to downgrade to? If so, then I wonder if there is someone out there sitting on v1.16 fw (or close to that ) that could post it to me?
BR
Yes, you should be able to downgrade. I have 1.34, 1.36, 1.38 zip files but they are all about 2MB each.
PM me and I might be able to email one of them otherwise ask NAD support if they can still provide something older. I don't remember such a low version number in my 785 when I got it.
Video firmware is for the vm150 card.
What are you playing videos from when you get the popping? DVR, dvd, bluray? Do all sources provide the same popping? I had a problem with an upgrade when watching from an older tivo. A new tivo Preniere was fine. Pops would occur when doing commercial skips or if a commercial was in dobly 2.0 and then the show was in 5.1. But it wasn't all the time during playback. going back to an older version and it was fine.
I think they do common upgrade files now for 785 and 787, so perhaps the higher version is only for the XX7 models?
LurPak68 likes this.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4338 of 4343 Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Yes, you should be able to downgrade. I have 1.34, 1.36, 1.38 zip files but they are all about 2MB each.
PM me and I might be able to email one of them otherwise ask NAD support if they can still provide something older. I don't remember such a low version number in my 785 when I got it.
Video firmware is for the vm150 card.
What are you playing videos from when you get the popping? DVR, dvd, bluray? Do all sources provide the same popping? I had a problem with an upgrade when watching from an older tivo. A new tivo Preniere was fine. Pops would occur when doing commercial skips or if a commercial was in dobly 2.0 and then the show was in 5.1. But it wasn't all the time during playback. going back to an older version and it was fine.
I think they do common upgrade files now for 785 and 787, so perhaps the higher version is only for the XX7 models?
Thanks for your reply.
Regarding PM, when I try to send a PM to you I got the following message:
"To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater.
You currently have 3 posts and you can send PMs to following users only:
...."
Guess I need to be more active on this forum
Maybe you could PM me with your e-mail address and I reply to that?

I have only noticed these pops in devices connected with HDMI. I think it is related to this interface. Usually it happens when the media played has finished, but it doesn't happen all the time. Not sure if it is related to some specific container/codec. Before I was using Popcorn Hour NMT, now I'm using Intel NUC with XBMC. Haven't noticed any difference between these devices and popping.
BR
post #4339 of 4343 Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
...."

I have only noticed these pops in devices connected with HDMI. I think it is related to this interface. Usually it happens when the media played has finished, but it doesn't happen all the time. Not sure if it is related to some specific container/codec. Before I was using Popcorn Hour NMT, now I'm using Intel NUC with XBMC. Haven't noticed any difference between these devices and popping.
BR
I PMed you. Yes, all the issues would be hdmi related with the pops. Its probably codec related. They may have updated their audio DSP and don't handle older versions. Just like they would pop on my older TiVo.
LurPak68 likes this.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4340 of 4343 Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
...."

BR
I have FW 1.32 for Txx5.
You can email me on : tue.dyb(at)gmail.com if you want that version.
roadrunnerdk
LurPak68 likes this.
post #4341 of 4343 Old 02-24-2015, 07:38 PM

I am so utterly pissed off with NAD.

I'm hoping to get some advice.

In a span of about 3 or 4 years, I purchased around $30k+ retail worth of NAD Electronics - the most expensive was their flagship M15HD theatre processor - this was actually purchased due the horrible T175 that I had which continually sent bursts of static, bangs and pops through my speakers at random.

Since owning the M15HD, it has had multiple "software updates" to fix it's numerous glitches; none have worked. I told them from the start that I suspected it had a faulty board or two, but all they ever did was upgrade its software and send it back. The boards in the original T175 were lousy and I was horrified to find out the M15HD employed the same combination. Now it's out of warranty, has never worked properly and I'm stuck with a home theatre that I've been unwilling to use for fear that it will send another surge of noise and bangs through 50K worth of speakers that I'm not willing to destroy or damage. It's not the devices I'm using with it either as, following the advice of my local NAD dealer, I bought a suite of matching Masters Series components (CD/DVD Players & Blu-Ray Player) so to eliminate any "compatibility issues" - this was tosh as the M56 does the same on bootup - spine shuddering bags/pops and static - at random. I can't even adjust speaker levels - I got it back after the last "fix" (read; software update) and went to set speaker levels and just entering the setup menu set a noise so bad through my new speakers that I was fearful I'd ruined them.

I used to love NAD. However, I wouldn't recommend one of their pre/pros or home theatre amps to anyone; not because of the problems I've encountered with my utter lemon, but because of their sheer unwillingness to change a simple board or two for a customer that's spent tens of thousands with them. Polite words fail me.

Advice? I feel like giving up but I also feel I'm well within my rights to demand my money back. The stupid thing is; I'd actually stick with them if they'd offer me a bloody solution (replacement boards or pre-amp!)
post #4342 of 4343 Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Hey guys. Sorry, it's been a long time. Can someone remind me how to check the firmware version in my T775HD?

Also, if you're not having any issues is it worth upgrading software? Have there been any improvements or just bug squashes?

Cheers!

post #4343 of 4343 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_himey View Post
I am so utterly pissed off with NAD.

I'm hoping to get some advice.

In a span of about 3 or 4 years, I purchased around $30k+ retail worth of NAD Electronics - the most expensive was their flagship M15HD theatre processor - this was actually purchased due the horrible T175 that I had which continually sent bursts of static, bangs and pops through my speakers at random.

Since owning the M15HD, it has had multiple "software updates" to fix it's numerous glitches; none have worked. I told them from the start that I suspected it had a faulty board or two, but all they ever did was upgrade its software and send it back. The boards in the original T175 were lousy and I was horrified to find out the M15HD employed the same combination. Now it's out of warranty, has never worked properly and I'm stuck with a home theatre that I've been unwilling to use for fear that it will send another surge of noise and bangs through 50K worth of speakers that I'm not willing to destroy or damage. It's not the devices I'm using with it either as, following the advice of my local NAD dealer, I bought a suite of matching Masters Series components (CD/DVD Players & Blu-Ray Player) so to eliminate any "compatibility issues" - this was tosh as the M56 does the same on bootup - spine shuddering bags/pops and static - at random. I can't even adjust speaker levels - I got it back after the last "fix" (read; software update) and went to set speaker levels and just entering the setup menu set a noise so bad through my new speakers that I was fearful I'd ruined them.

I used to love NAD. However, I wouldn't recommend one of their pre/pros or home theatre amps to anyone; not because of the problems I've encountered with my utter lemon, but because of their sheer unwillingness to change a simple board or two for a customer that's spent tens of thousands with them. Polite words fail me.

Advice? I feel like giving up but I also feel I'm well within my rights to demand my money back. The stupid thing is; I'd actually stick with them if they'd offer me a bloody solution (replacement boards or pre-amp!)
I wasn't too happy with T175 either. Though, I think that in my unit the popping (speakers) and clicking (relays) wasn't that bad, though audible. And it only manifested at signal changes (e.g. commercial brakes in TV etc.). Well, then the T975's PSU burned, so I too went with Master series.

Anyway, M15HD too behaves somewhat similarly during digital signal discontinuities, but my unit remains totally silent. So no clicking or any noise from speakers, but the muting circuit does activate. Also you may have accidentally activated the test signal playback when you entered the speaker level menu, so that might not be a bug in your unit. The main volume level does not affect the test signal level, so with high sensitivity speakers it might be loud. Should not clip though, so it should not pose any danger to speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors