The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4411 of 4444 Old 12-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeski View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I could do with an AM200 and VM150 for now (the VM150x only adds more HDMI and ethernet; both I do not need). The VM200 seems not te be compatible with the T775 unit, when I check the compatibility sheet. This would reduce the cost to about 700-800 USD for now.
I'm still not convinced the upgrade wrecked my receiver though; it all _should_ work. Got another guy checking it out now with Tech support @ NAD.
Where did you find the compatibility sheet? Also why did you upgrade the software to start with, did you have any issues with the original software?

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4412 of 4444 Old 12-24-2015, 05:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Where did you find the compatibility sheet? Also why did you upgrade the software to start with, did you have any issues with the original software?
I checked the site (nadelectronics.com) and found a compatibility-sheet and upgrade-path. http://www.nadelectronics.com/img/static/MDC-Matrix.pdf
No mention of the VM200 in there. Maybe that one is just newer and the chart falls behind...
Having said that; the distributor here did also not mention the VM200 at all as an upgrade, and told me to get the AM200 and VM150 and VM150x.

Why I upgraded; well... hard to explain. I for one, wanted to get rid of some source-switching noise (loud BANG and/or click when changing from Blu-Ray DTS to Pro Logic for example) and the new version _should_ fix my display not working occasionally (my display just does not show anything sometimes, but the unit worked). Also, it should recognize more audio formats and display the correct one on the front display.
Secondly, a friend of mine wanted to come by and re-do my setup. He's a professional and has been working in an audio shop for quite some time.
He told me he was going to update my NAD to fix some issues he knew existed in 1.09 and re-do my cabling, Audyssey etc. Unfortunately, that never happend because he passed away recently at age 31. So, also in his memory, I decided to do it myself. Well... the rest is history.
Soeski is offline  
post #4413 of 4444 Old 12-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeski View Post
I checked the site (nadelectronics.com) and found a compatibility-sheet and upgrade-path. http://www.nadelectronics.com/img/static/MDC-Matrix.pdf
No mention of the VM200 in there. Maybe that one is just newer and the chart falls behind...
Having said that; the distributor here did also not mention the VM200 at all as an upgrade, and told me to get the AM200 and VM150 and VM150x.

Why I upgraded; well... hard to explain. I for one, wanted to get rid of some source-switching noise (loud BANG and/or click when changing from Blu-Ray DTS to Pro Logic for example) and the new version _should_ fix my display not working occasionally (my display just does not show anything sometimes, but the unit worked). Also, it should recognize more audio formats and display the correct one on the front display.
Secondly, a friend of mine wanted to come by and re-do my setup. He's a professional and has been working in an audio shop for quite some time.
He told me he was going to update my NAD to fix some issues he knew existed in 1.09 and re-do my cabling, Audyssey etc. Unfortunately, that never happend because he passed away recently at age 31. So, also in his memory, I decided to do it myself. Well... the rest is history.
The VM200 was fitted by default in the 785HD and 185HD, the VM150 was released later so probably superseeding it with the HDMI 1.4 ports. You can't add more audio formats to the T775 non-HD with just a software upgrade, it will require an upgraded AM board+software.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4414 of 4444 Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
The VM200 was fitted by default in the 785HD and 185HD, the VM150 was released later so probably superseeding it with the HDMI 1.4 ports. You can't add more audio formats to the T775 non-HD with just a software upgrade, it will require an upgraded AM board+software.
Agreed, of course you cannot. But the T775 would _recognize_ more formats in the display. In stead of naming all formats 3/2.1 direct of PCM without Dolby logo's. Depends on which device does de decoding too of course, but still... I'm a sucker for functionality or options
Anyway, will get an answer after Christmas. Tech support was already closed for today.
Soeski is offline  
post #4415 of 4444 Old 12-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Member
 
JSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any hdmi issues? My t787 hdmi input 1 and 2 plus the front input does not show anything. I havent looked at the plugs close to see if any of the connections or the little gold teeth are loose otherwise not sure what else may be going on
JSouth is offline  
post #4416 of 4444 Old 12-30-2015, 04:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, back again with the latest. NAD confirmed that my problems lie solely with the software update (rather logical because the problems started after that, but still...). I should have never updated my T775 to a newer version without MDC's, althought the firmware update states that it's also an update for the main unit only without MDC's (you can select that you DO NOT have MDC's, then I got v1.39 in stead of v1.44).
They're discussing now how to downgrade the software, it seems not te be so easy.
I'm in contact with a local dealer now to replace my T775 with an Arcam AVR550.
Soeski is offline  
post #4417 of 4444 Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just poked NAD again about the Atmos MDC. The aim now is to release it Q1 2016, oh and it will also do DTS:X.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4418 of 4444 Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM
Member
 
alebrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
have they made the 4k updates for the 777/787 yet?
alebrady is offline  
post #4419 of 4444 Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebrady View Post
have they made the 4k updates for the 777/787 yet?
I don't think the 4k MDC is out yet.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4420 of 4444 Old 01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Member
 
shobaffum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the detailed post!. I recently had 1 fan in my 775HD2 start making a buzzing noise so I decided to replace all five via NCCaniac's method rather than using the OEM parts. It was a little cheaper although the screws were a pain. There are few 60mm fans that are 20mm thick or less. I went with Gelid - available at several online retailers (e.g. Directron). The screws that came with the fans of course wouldn't work and I could not find anything at the hardware store that was long enough but not too long to fit within the fan cavity in the bottom of the receiver. These fans do not have a flange like the stock fans - they have a "tunnel" for the screws so it is trickier.

I ended up getting silicon mounts from Newegg plus the connector adapters that NCCaniac mentioned.

It's all buttoned up now and the new fans are definitely a step quieter but the amount of air they blow feels about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I recently replaced the fans on my T775 a couple of months ago because several of them were starting to buzz and make noise frequently. Since my T775 was out of warranty, I figured it could not be much harder to replace them than replacing case fans in a PC...and that was about right. After removing them, I tried to locate the same brand but they are not commonly available anywhere online for reasonable prices (likely an older model that has been replaced), so I went instead with fans with similar RPM and lower db ratings. The trick was that the typical case fan in that size is thicker than will fit in the housing on the bottom of the T77x series. The original fans in the unit were 20mm thick, but most common case fans in the same size (60mm x 60mm, I think) are 25mm thick. I went with some that were 15mm thick.

The housing that holds that fans can be easily removed from the bottom of the receiver case by removing the screws that hold in the plate with the fan shields. There are five fans and all of them have their power cables plugged into a bank of pin connectors accessible from the top side of the case (once the whole case cover has been removed). The other thing I found was the special screws used in the original fans likely will not work with most off the shelf case fans and I had to use other screws to hold the new fans in. You need to pay attention as to how to wrap the power cables around the edge of the fans so they will not get in the way when putting the housing back with the plate on the bottom of the T77x case, but if you are careful it is not too hard. Most common PC case fans have a 3-pin connector and the T77x has 2-pin connectors, so I also bought adapter plugs (they were 2" length wires with a 2-pin female connector on one end and a 3-pin male connector on the other end).

Needing the adapters and new screws delayed the process a bit compared to if I had everything up front, but the fans and adapters were available online at the best price and the screws came from the local hardware store. Total cost...about $30 plus my labor.

These are the type of 3-pin to 2-pin adapters I bought that match the power pin sockets in the T77x. (I got the "D" version of these adapters.) And these are the fans I used.

One caveat....this was for a T77x model. I do not know if the T77xHD models use the same size fans or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	replacing_fans.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1195050   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_fans.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1195058  
NCCaniac likes this.

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug.
shobaffum is offline  
post #4421 of 4444 Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobaffum View Post
Thanks for the detailed post!. I recently had 1 fan in my 775HD2 start making a buzzing noise so I decided to replace all five via NCCaniac's method rather than using the OEM parts. It was a little cheaper although the screws were a pain. There are few 60mm fans that are 20mm thick or less. I went with Gelid - available at several online retailers (e.g. Directron). The screws that came with the fans of course wouldn't work and I could not find anything at the hardware store that was long enough but not too long to fit within the fan cavity in the bottom of the receiver. These fans do not have a flange like the stock fans - they have a "tunnel" for the screws so it is trickier.

I ended up getting silicon mounts from Newegg plus the connector adapters that NCCaniac mentioned.

It's all buttoned up now and the new fans are definitely a step quieter but the amount of air they blow feels about the same.
Glad my experience and instructions helped! I had the same issues to work around that you did, but as you found, it was not really a technical issue as much as a mechanical issue and certainly an easy fix for a reasonable cost and an hour or two of time.
NCCaniac is offline  
post #4422 of 4444 Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
madaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 55
OK guys - cat amongst the pigeons!!

Have had two NAD avrs - a NAD T762 (which I chose after auditioning it against an equivalent price Denon) and now the T775HD.

Cannot fault for sound quality. Using with 20+ yr old Acoustic Research M5 Holographic speakers for front L and R, plus Energy Connoiseur L/R surrounds and Center, and sub-woofer, Oppo 95 blu-ray player, plus a couple of STB (Fetch TV and Foxtel)

The 762 never gave me probs while I used it. Gave it to my son after buying the T775HD (for the HDMI connections).

In the last 12-18 months, had to replace the am200 card (very expensive down under here in OZ: AUD$700.00). Then the left surround amp section went dead. Now the front right amp section has gone dead.

When I "borrowed" my old T762 back from my son as a fillin while getting the T775 fixed, it had developed main processor probs (after ten minutes of use, would stop responding to volume control, input source choice etc).

Is NAD delivering a top sound at the expense of longevity of components? Or do the more expensive brands (Anthem, Classe) have the same issues?

Last time, after discovering the T762 had probs, I sent all video direct to my tv, and made do with stereo sound using a 30+ yr old Denon PM-880R Class A stereo amp. Good sound, but no surround or sub, of course.

Wishing I had postponed buying my oppo blu-ray until the 105 came out - with two hdmi inputs. I would then have used it as a pre-pro and bought a 5.1 surround amp instead of an avr.

Comments? Suggestions?
madaudio is offline  
post #4423 of 4444 Old 01-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
OK guys - cat amongst the pigeons!!

Have had two NAD avrs - a NAD T762 (which I chose after auditioning it against an equivalent price Denon) and now the T775HD.

Cannot fault for sound quality. Using with 20+ yr old Acoustic Research M5 Holographic speakers for front L and R, plus Energy Connoiseur L/R surrounds and Center, and sub-woofer, Oppo 95 blu-ray player, plus a couple of STB (Fetch TV and Foxtel)

The 762 never gave me probs while I used it. Gave it to my son after buying the T775HD (for the HDMI connections).

In the last 12-18 months, had to replace the am200 card (very expensive down under here in OZ: AUD$700.00). Then the left surround amp section went dead. Now the front right amp section has gone dead.

When I "borrowed" my old T762 back from my son as a fillin while getting the T775 fixed, it had developed main processor probs (after ten minutes of use, would stop responding to volume control, input source choice etc).

Is NAD delivering a top sound at the expense of longevity of components? Or do the more expensive brands (Anthem, Classe) have the same issues?

Last time, after discovering the T762 had probs, I sent all video direct to my tv, and made do with stereo sound using a 30+ yr old Denon PM-880R Class A stereo amp. Good sound, but no surround or sub, of course.

Wishing I had postponed buying my oppo blu-ray until the 105 came out - with two hdmi inputs. I would then have used it as a pre-pro and bought a 5.1 surround amp instead of an avr.

Comments? Suggestions?
Hard to say. I have had my T775 for a number of years now with no problem except having to replace the cooling fans when the bearings wore out and some were making noise. Heat is the main issue that can cause electronic components to fail early. Did you have either of these units in an enclosed console or other location where there was not adequate air flow?
NCCaniac is offline  
post #4424 of 4444 Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
OK guys - cat amongst the pigeons!!

Have had two NAD avrs - a NAD T762 (which I chose after auditioning it against an equivalent price Denon) and now the T775HD.

Cannot fault for sound quality. Using with 20+ yr old Acoustic Research M5 Holographic speakers for front L and R, plus Energy Connoiseur L/R surrounds and Center, and sub-woofer, Oppo 95 blu-ray player, plus a couple of STB (Fetch TV and Foxtel)

The 762 never gave me probs while I used it. Gave it to my son after buying the T775HD (for the HDMI connections).

In the last 12-18 months, had to replace the am200 card (very expensive down under here in OZ: AUD$700.00). Then the left surround amp section went dead. Now the front right amp section has gone dead.

When I "borrowed" my old T762 back from my son as a fillin while getting the T775 fixed, it had developed main processor probs (after ten minutes of use, would stop responding to volume control, input source choice etc).

Is NAD delivering a top sound at the expense of longevity of components? Or do the more expensive brands (Anthem, Classe) have the same issues?

Last time, after discovering the T762 had probs, I sent all video direct to my tv, and made do with stereo sound using a 30+ yr old Denon PM-880R Class A stereo amp. Good sound, but no surround or sub, of course.

Wishing I had postponed buying my oppo blu-ray until the 105 came out - with two hdmi inputs. I would then have used it as a pre-pro and bought a 5.1 surround amp instead of an avr.

Comments? Suggestions?
My NAD T775 will be 7 years old in April and it is still going strong with 0 issues since I got it. I have never done a software upgrade or anything to it.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4425 of 4444 Old 01-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
madaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Hard to say. I have had my T775 for a number of years now with no problem except having to replace the cooling fans when the bearings wore out and some were making noise. Heat is the main issue that can cause electronic components to fail early. Did you have either of these units in an enclosed console or other location where there was not adequate air flow?
Must be honest and confess heat is an issue. In a cabinet with an open back but glass door front, and no more than 2" of clearance above. Have lately always tried to remember to keep the door open when in use, even aimed a floor fan at the unit, which certainly seems to help. Am contemplating lowering the shelf it sits on to give it more clearance above. Have also contemplated putting in an exhaust fan on the side at the height of the NAD. But maybe I made a mistake buying an enclosed unit instead of an open rack system.

Sort of caught between the dust vs heat concerns.

For the moment, to postpone repair costs, have added the old Denon stereo amp, feeding it a LF/RF feed from Oppo, and cable tv boxes, while leaving the NAD to service all the other speakers from HDMI feed-ins (also analogue feed in from the Oppo 95).

Would love to see Oppo produce a full pre-pro-blu-ray player - would then look at a NAD 5.1 or 7.1 straight amp.
madaudio is offline  
post #4426 of 4444 Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
My NAD T775 will be 7 years old in April and it is still going strong with 0 issues since I got it. I have never done a software upgrade or anything to it.
Same here, bought it Q1 2009 and still going strong except the plopping. Did clean the fans myself with a blower and (carefully) applied some grease for the bearings. Annoying sound went away.
Whatever you do, do not upgrade the software if you do not have AM200, VM150, VM150x or VM200. I did and now my unit is, well, flawed. You can read all about that above. You still have 1.09 or something, and that works fine.
Having said that; my unit does not have clearance at all; maybe 0.5" (top). On the sides maybe 1 inch max. The front and back of my unit is not covered by glass or a door, so my unit does not get hot at all. Top clearance needed as specified is highly overrated (they prefer at least 20") :P

Last edited by Soeski; 01-26-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Soeski is offline  
post #4427 of 4444 Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The long wait for the Atmos MDC...

In October 2015 I was told an announcement by the end of the year.
In end of December 2015 I was told the new modules would hit the market by end of Q1 2016.
Today I was told summer 2016.

So any bets if the AM300?? card will be released by Christmas 2016?

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4428 of 4444 Old 01-31-2016, 03:22 PM
Member
 
laager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question:


I have an original T785. One of the first ones. It's had various issues and recently has had a brand new amp block installed. However, last week I got the dreaded 'Check DSP Board' error and the techs are telling me I have to get an AM200 board AND that I have to get a VM150 at the same time. That would send the cost of the repair into the stratosphere. I could buy an entire T785 on the secondhand market for less than what they want to charge me for the two MDC units, firmware install (why would they charge extra for this as it's actually REQUIRED for the new cards - damn thieves) and labour.

Hence, can anyone confirm that you cannot put an AM200 in without also putting in a VM150 (or higher)?

Update: the techs have eaten a little humble pie and confirmed that the original DSP is still available and that I don't need the AM200 or VM150 to return the unit to service. However, the question remains - do you need to install a VM150 if you get an AM200?

Last edited by laager; 01-31-2016 at 09:31 PM.
laager is offline  
post #4429 of 4444 Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laager View Post
Quick question:


I have an original T785. One of the first ones. It's had various issues and recently has had a brand new amp block installed. However, last week I got the dreaded 'Check DSP Board' error and the techs are telling me I have to get an AM200 board AND that I have to get a VM150 at the same time. That would send the cost of the repair into the stratosphere. I could buy an entire T785 on the secondhand market for less than what they want to charge me for the two MDC units, firmware install (why would they charge extra for this as it's actually REQUIRED for the new cards - damn thieves) and labour.

Hence, can anyone confirm that you cannot put an AM200 in without also putting in a VM150 (or higher)?

Update: the techs have eaten a little humble pie and confirmed that the original DSP is still available and that I don't need the AM200 or VM150 to return the unit to service. However, the question remains - do you need to install a VM150 if you get an AM200?
Can't answer the last question, but I had the "Check DSP board" message a few weeks back for the first time on my T775 (after cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner and some spray). Not even a full reset helped. (The unit did function though, it just kept giving me the error).
I opened the unit up again, unscrewed all boards, re-seated them and the problem was gone. Has not appeared since.
Soeski is offline  
post #4430 of 4444 Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Member
 
shobaffum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a T775HD2 with an AM200 and VM100-3D board installed. I'm pretty sure a VM120 (or, as you said, the VM150) works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laager View Post
Quick question:


I have an original T785. One of the first ones. It's had various issues and recently has had a brand new amp block installed. However, last week I got the dreaded 'Check DSP Board' error and the techs are telling me I have to get an AM200 board AND that I have to get a VM150 at the same time. That would send the cost of the repair into the stratosphere. I could buy an entire T785 on the secondhand market for less than what they want to charge me for the two MDC units, firmware install (why would they charge extra for this as it's actually REQUIRED for the new cards - damn thieves) and labour.

Hence, can anyone confirm that you cannot put an AM200 in without also putting in a VM150 (or higher)?

Update: the techs have eaten a little humble pie and confirmed that the original DSP is still available and that I don't need the AM200 or VM150 to return the unit to service. However, the question remains - do you need to install a VM150 if you get an AM200?

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug.
shobaffum is offline  
post #4431 of 4444 Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if this is the right spot to make a WTB request but here goes.

Like a few others I now have the dreaded "Check DSP Board" which is what brought me to this thread. I am still hoping to hang on the the receiver I like so much but the cost on the new AM100 or AM200 module makes me question the upgrade. Now with kids and all those grown up responsibilities it is hard to indulge like I used to.

If anyone is upgrading the T 775 DSP audio board to the latest version I would be interested in purchasing the older AM100 module you are replacing if we can agree on a price. I hate to see this unit discarded for what is probably a simple problem. I would also be interested if you are replacing the original issue DSP board which I believe is just labeled "T765/T775/T785 DSP" with a part number of 18-918-0775-64.

You can PM me back through this site if you have one to sell.

Thanks....fingers crossed! LOL
IP2GSR is offline  
post #4432 of 4444 Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
gatt767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Malta
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I had the chk dsp board fault. took it to a local repair shop who re soldered the slot were the card connects to the motherboard and no more errors.
gatt767 is offline  
post #4433 of 4444 Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
rblnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
The long wait for the Atmos MDC...

In October 2015 I was told an announcement by the end of the year.
In end of December 2015 I was told the new modules would hit the market by end of Q1 2016.
Today I was told summer 2016.

So any bets if the AM300?? card will be released by Christmas 2016?
I'm a dealer and was told Q2 of this year for the AM300. As with all other manufacturers, it's never a guarantee. That said, I think this will be on-time.
Mashie Saldana likes this.
rblnr is offline  
post #4434 of 4444 Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Member
 
laager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobaffum View Post
I have a T775HD2 with an AM200 and VM100-3D board installed. I'm pretty sure a VM120 (or, as you said, the VM150) works as well.
I think I should rephrase my question: does anyone have an accurate matrix showing exactly what cards are needed on upgrades? The NAD matrix is next to useless. For example, if I upgrade an AM100 to AM200, do I have to upgrade anything else? If so, what? The matrix would have to allow for the original 785 as well as the later HD versions.
laager is offline  
post #4435 of 4444 Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 AM
Member
 
bsandiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
t785 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by laager View Post
I think I should rephrase my question: does anyone have an accurate matrix showing exactly what cards are needed on upgrades? The NAD matrix is next to useless. For example, if I upgrade an AM100 to AM200, do I have to upgrade anything else? If so, what? The matrix would have to allow for the original 785 as well as the later HD versions.
I have an old T785 which I upgraded with AM200 and VM100 cards to get the updated DTS and Dolby codecs, The unit came with capability for Auydessy Multi EQ and Pro which I have implemented. Dealer put in the cards and did the software-no issues whatsoever. I have had fan noise problems but a simple vacuum of the fan area solved it.

I was told that the "original" T785 units came with an unnamed VM card so any upgrade required the Vm100 at minimum. My unit had plenty of HDMI inputs so I didn't need more.

One caveat: I have tried to use the NAD iphone remote app by using a global cache serial connection to my home network via the back panel 9 pin port. My unit has no ethernet inputs of any kind so the hardware and ethernet software just isn't there. Not a big deal-maybe the Bluos card will add that connectivity.
bsandiego is offline  
post #4436 of 4444 Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Today I gave up on the MDC idea, my T775 will act as a multichannel amp driven by a Marantz SR-7010.
Gordon Armstrong likes this.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4437 of 4444 Old 03-24-2016, 02:02 AM
Member
 
laager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my T785 was returned a while ago and it performs as new. Sure, there's no HD audio decoding but to be honest, who cares? BD players routinely decode and pass through the signal so there's no loss of quality, only the lack of a fancy display showing the native codec on the NAD. I also don't have 3D video support, but I don't care. 3D video support is a bit of a lame duck anyway.

Happy chappy with my so called obsolete original T785. Still eats the competition for breakfast. :-)

Last edited by laager; 03-24-2016 at 02:10 AM.
laager is offline  
post #4438 of 4444 Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello,

Recently became the owner of a used T787 (upgrade from my 12 year old T763) and had two questions:

1. I will install AM300 and VM300 boards when available and was interested if the recommendation is to install the boards myself or have a dealer do it. I will get the VM300 free.

2. I found one source for purchasing the boards online. Was wondering where people purchase their boards.


Thanks for your input.
SteveBoston is offline  
post #4439 of 4444 Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peterborough, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBoston View Post
Hello,

Recently became the owner of a used T787 (upgrade from my 12 year old T763) and had two questions:

1. I will install AM300 and VM300 boards when available and was interested if the recommendation is to install the boards myself or have a dealer do it. I will get the VM300 free.

2. I found one source for purchasing the boards online. Was wondering where people purchase their boards.


Thanks for your input.
I would be weary of ordering them as they are not even officially announced yet.

I would have a dealer do the install plus software upgrade since it will be up to them to fix if anything goes horribly wrong in the process.

Existing HT: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion) | 1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra

Soon to have the first upgrade in 7 years.
Mashie Saldana is online now  
post #4440 of 4444 Old 03-28-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBoston View Post
Hello,

Recently became the owner of a used T787 (upgrade from my 12 year old T763) and had two questions:

1. I will install AM300 and VM300 boards when available and was interested if the recommendation is to install the boards myself or have a dealer do it. I will get the VM300 free.

2. I found one source for purchasing the boards online. Was wondering where people purchase their boards.


Thanks for your input.
It depends on whether you feel comfortable taking the unit apart and especially performing a firmware update. Both tasks are relatively simple but can be dangerous to both you and the set if performed incorrectly.


As far as module replacement goes, it's quite simple. Typically, you have to remove the top cabinet, disconnect one or more ground wires, undo a few screws on the module and possibly a bracket on top, remove the old module and do the process in reverse with the new module.


Most likely, you will need to perform a firmware upgrade, even if your system has the latest firmware installed already. At least that's what I had to do after I replaced the AM200 module in my t785HD, even though the "new" firmware was the same version as the "old" firmware. Things didn't work properly until I did the firmware upgrade.


BTW, I ordered the module through my local dealer. We know each other well enough that he is aware of my technical competence.

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

taboola here


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off