The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #4531 of 4559 Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I sent an email to this vendor

ListenUp

and they replied saying that they are still waiting on the dates from NAD and it might be summer 2017. They were not sure about the price either. Yikes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4559 Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
My NAD receiver was in the shop for a couple months and ARC worked fine before I took it in. I have a Sony 55xbr929 tv. Arc is no longer working now, I thought I got it going first time I tested. But no luck since. Most of the following info is from the tv perspective but hoping other people have a Sony too. I even did a factory reset on the tv. If I select an analog input, it just stays with the tv speakers. If I try to select AUdio System, it mutes for a few seconds and then says audio system is not available. When it worked, it would automatically send audio to the receiver and it would play. The receiver switched to the arc sound.

I I look at the device list on the tv, it has 2 entries
Player 1 -hdmi 1 - Connected - Bdp 103(Oppo)
Audio system -hdmi 1 - - Bdp 103

Note it doesn't say connected.

Other cec functions work, if I turn on the bluray player, it turns on the receiver , switches input on the receiver and turns the tv on.
If I turn off the tv, it also turns off the receiver.

Used to be if I turned on the tv, it would then turn on the rreceiver also.

Tried a couple hdmi cables but no luck.

Any ideas???
Very strange, arc is working again and turning on the tv triggers the receiver to turn on😃 But I have no idea what fixed it? I moved the Oppo from hdmi 3 to 2 just to get it on a different port and I reset the Apple TV hdmi cable. But it does say NAD 787 on the audio system line now when I check the device list.

Just very picky. I remember a few years ago, cec stopped working and I unplugged an old Panasonic DVD recorder from and hdmi input on the tv and things started working again. I hadn't changed anything back then either.Very strange, arc is working again and turning on the tv triggers the receiver to turn on😃 But I have no idea what fixed it? I moved the Oppo from hdmi 3 to 2 just to get it on a different port and I feet the Apple TV hdmi connector. But it does say NAD 787 on the audio system line when I check the device list.

Just very picky. I remember a few years ago, cec stopped working and I unplugged an old Panasonic DVD recorder from and hdmi input on the tv and things started working again. I hadn't changed anything back then either.

Oh well, I'm happy again😊 Who knows when I will upgrade to 4k and or atmos. Unless something breaks on me😱

Thanks for listening and offering help.

Phil Tomaskovic

Last edited by Phil Tomaskovic; 01-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.
post #4533 of 4559 Old 01-14-2017, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own a T775 with the VM200 and AM200. I also initially had issues and had the receiver replaced by NAD. By the way I live in Canada and I'm within an hour's driving distance from NAD. With that disclaimer out of the way I have always found NAD service and assistance to be exceptional.

Interested in upgrading to 4K technology since it have been pretty much be finalized (HDMI 2.1 appears to be geared more for future standards). So I contacted NAD and received an indication that the VM300 should be compatible with the older T7X5 series after a firmware upgrade hopefully to be announced close to the middle of this month (January 2017). There will also be an AM card that allows for ATMOS and DTS X. It includes the pre-outs for the additional 4 height channels and Audyssey will be a thing of the past to be replaced by DIRAC. The VM300 will cost $699 Canadian and must be installed by an authorized dealer. So the cost will further driven up by whatever the dealer charges for installation. I suspect the AM card will be priced similarly and will also have to be installed by an authorized dealer. This information was courtesy of NAD. Not sure about BlueSound as I didn't ask about its cost. FWIW, I read somewhere the the 5 profiles we're accustomed to will be reduced to only one profile with upgrade to 4K. This was more with the T7X7 line, but I expect the T7X5 line would be similarly impacted.

$1,400-$1,500. OUCH!!! At least NAD appears to have been honest about modular upgradeability although the upgrade path appears to be prohibitively expensive. For this amount, I'm contemplating abandoning NAD and going with an Anthem MRX 720 for another $700-$800. Plus, there are promotions where you can get a Paradigm PW 600 DTS Play-Fi speaker (MSRP $699) included at no cost. The speaker could be sold later to help reduce the cost. I would have love to stay with NAD - love the power amp section in comparison to other receiver's amp sections (including Anthem's) NAD's published ratings are based more on "all channels" driven vs other's "two-channel" driven ratings. Also, 50lbs for a receiver speakers as to the quality of the traditional power amp section vs similar amp sections in other receivers that way up to 20lbs less. As an example, the Anthem 720 and 1120 have traditional power amps for the main 5 channels with Class D or digital amp sections for the remaining amp channels.

At the end of the day the pre-amp section of a receiver should be considered in the same terms as a computer that becomes obsolete as soon as new technologies are announced. If you don't need the new technology then the pre-amp section is still as good as the day you bought it. However, if you need the new technology (e.g. sound processing formats) than he have to junk the pre-amp section along with whatever is attached. Same as a computer. Separates are definitely the better long-term investment, but the up front costs are high and there may be space limitations that preclude some of us from using separates.

My two cents worth.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

post #4534 of 4559 Old 01-14-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxviii View Post
I own a T775 with the VM200 and AM200. I also initially had issues and had the receiver replaced by NAD. By the way I live in Canada and I'm within an hour's driving distance from NAD. With that disclaimer out of the way I have always found NAD service and assistance to be exceptional.

Interested in upgrading to 4K technology since it have been pretty much be finalized (HDMI 2.1 appears to be geared more for future standards). So I contacted NAD and received an indication that the VM300 should be compatible with the older T7X5 series after a firmware upgrade hopefully to be announced close to the middle of this month (January 2017). There will also be an AM card that allows for ATMOS and DTS X. It includes the pre-outs for the additional 4 height channels and Audyssey will be a thing of the past to be replaced by DIRAC. The VM300 will cost $699 Canadian and must be installed by an authorized dealer. So the cost will further driven up by whatever the dealer charges for installation. I suspect the AM card will be priced similarly and will also have to be installed by an authorized dealer. This information was courtesy of NAD. Not sure about BlueSound as I didn't ask about its cost. FWIW, I read somewhere the the 5 profiles we're accustomed to will be reduced to only one profile with upgrade to 4K. This was more with the T7X7 line, but I expect the T7X5 line would be similarly impacted.

$1,400-$1,500. OUCH!!! At least NAD appears to have been honest about modular upgradeability although the upgrade path appears to be prohibitively expensive. For this amount, I'm contemplating abandoning NAD and going with an Anthem MRX 720 for another $700-$800. Plus, there are promotions where you can get a Paradigm PW 600 DTS Play-Fi speaker (MSRP $699) included at no cost. The speaker could be sold later to help reduce the cost. I would have love to stay with NAD - love the power amp section in comparison to other receiver's amp sections (including Anthem's) NAD's published ratings are based more on "all channels" driven vs other's "two-channel" driven ratings. Also, 50lbs for a receiver speakers as to the quality of the traditional power amp section vs similar amp sections in other receivers that way up to 20lbs less. As an example, the Anthem 720 and 1120 have traditional power amps for the main 5 channels with Class D or digital amp sections for the remaining amp channels.

At the end of the day the pre-amp section of a receiver should be considered in the same terms as a computer that becomes obsolete as soon as new technologies are announced. If you don't need the new technology then the pre-amp section is still as good as the day you bought it. However, if you need the new technology (e.g. sound processing formats) than he have to junk the pre-amp section along with whatever is attached. Same as a computer. Separates are definitely the better long-term investment, but the up front costs are high and there may be space limitations that preclude some of us from using separates.

My two cents worth.
Yeah, I'm in complete agreement on this. I just got my 787 back from the shop and was thinking of going the anthem route too. Haven't upgraded anything to UHD or atmos yet but I already did the MDC card route once on a 775 and it is not worth it. I asked the dealer what he would offer on my 787 as a trade in and it was too low. Basically, I'd pay the same for the 720 with tradein vs updating the cards. Although I'm getting skeptical on nads quality and how long the nad will keep going before the next repair. (My 787 was also a free replacement from nad after multiple repairs to my 775).

Also I dont see the free wireless speaker offer on anthems site anymore. Guess it was a end of year deal. That was also enticement to me as extra savings by selling it like you mentioned.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4535 of 4559 Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have not had reason to go into the OSD on my T775 in quite a while as I have had everything configured the way I wanted it for some time. I added a second sub, though, this last weekend and decided to run the Audyssey setup again as the front left and right speakers are now in a slightly different location than before. Surprisingly, I could not get the T775 OSD to display on my Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma display no matter what I tried. The front panel display on the T775 showed it had gone into OSD (720P) mode, but nothing showed up on the display. (I have a single HDMI connection from the T775 video out to the Panny display.)

Thinking it might be a resolution issue, I tried going to the input connected to my Oppo 103 BluRay player and set its output resolution temporarily to 720p and then tried to bring up the T775 OSD....but nothing displayed except the Oppo main menu.

Any ideas?
post #4536 of 4559 Old 01-18-2017, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
...FWIW, I read somewhere the the 5 profiles we're accustomed to will be reduced to only one profile with upgrade to 4K. This was more with the T7X7 line, but I expect the T7X5 line would be similarly impacted...
Not sure what profiles you are referring to, is it possible to elaborate on this?
Thanks
post #4537 of 4559 Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM

My terminology might be off, currently my NAD allows me to have up to 5 "profiles” with different settings, e.g. one profile with a centre channel speaker and another profile without a centre channel speaker for a phantom centre. Other parameters such as digital processing, surround settings, assigning of inputs can also be assigned to the profiles.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #4538 of 4559 Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
My terminology might be off, currently my NAD allows me to have up to 5 "profiles” with different settings, e.g. one profile with a centre channel speaker and another profile without a centre channel speaker for a phantom centre. Other parameters such as digital processing, surround settings, assigning of inputs can also be assigned to the profiles.

Just killing time and reading some of the posts on this thread. Wouldn't it make more sense to just purchase a NAD multichannel amp, and leave the processing to a much more reliable brand? Like maybe Marantz, just for an example.
post #4539 of 4559 Old 01-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Separates are much more expensive and require much more room to accommodate both. A single chassis is always more space and cost efficient - cost efficient over the shorter term at least.

post #4540 of 4559 Old 01-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:

"Presets", ok gotcha. Now why would Nad remove that??
post #4541 of 4559 Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hope presets are not going away. Presets are awesome. I have different preferences based on what I am doing. In fact, I have two presets for two different sources even though both sources are getting the video and audio from the same physical source (my Bluray player). I did this so that I can use one with presets geared towards movies and the other one geared towards music.
post #4542 of 4559 Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I have not had reason to go into the OSD on my T775 in quite a while as I have had everything configured the way I wanted it for some time. I added a second sub, though, this last weekend and decided to run the Audyssey setup again as the front left and right speakers are now in a slightly different location than before. Surprisingly, I could not get the T775 OSD to display on my Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma display no matter what I tried. The front panel display on the T775 showed it had gone into OSD (720P) mode, but nothing showed up on the display. (I have a single HDMI connection from the T775 video out to the Panny display.)

Thinking it might be a resolution issue, I tried going to the input connected to my Oppo 103 BluRay player and set its output resolution temporarily to 720p and then tried to bring up the T775 OSD....but nothing displayed except the Oppo main menu.

Any ideas?
Try upgrading the firmware and carefully do a factory reset. The latest firmware is available on NAD's website. Does your NAD have VM100 and AM200 or the legacy MDC boards. An easy way to know that is - does your receiver decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-Ma - if it does then you have the AM200.
post #4543 of 4559 Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Try upgrading the firmware and carefully do a factory reset. The latest firmware is available on NAD's website. Does your NAD have VM100 and AM200 or the legacy MDC boards. An easy way to know that is - does your receiver decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-Ma - if it does then you have the AM200.
My T775 is an "original" so it has the legacy MDC boards and I think I have only done one firmware update since new. Not needing support for the newer MDC cards, do you really think firmware is the cause of the OSD not displaying? I have heard the newer firmware versions are really for the newer cards and can cause issues with the older cards.
post #4544 of 4559 Old 01-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
My T775 is an "original" so it has the legacy MDC boards and I think I have only done one firmware update since new. Not needing support for the newer MDC cards, do you really think firmware is the cause of the OSD not displaying? I have heard the newer firmware versions are really for the newer cards and can cause issues with the older cards.
Updating the firmware may not be necessary. But doing a factory reset helps cure a lot of unusual issues in electronic devices. If doing the factory reset doesn't help. Then try the firmware. If neither one help its most likely a hardware issue. But saying that, if everything else is working properly its probably a error in the software.
post #4545 of 4559 Old 01-20-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any ideas?
Try a different hdmi port on the tv? Does the tv have a compnent or composite video input? Will Nad sent Osd out over analog video ports?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4546 of 4559 Old 01-28-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder why NAD decided to remove the pre-out - Main-in feature on the newer receivers. I have a NAD T744 and a T763. Both of them have pre-outs and main-ins. They have a jumper across them. If I want to use them as a pre-amp, then I connect the pre-outs to an external amp. If I want to use an external pre-amp, then I connect the pre-outs from the pre-amp to the main-ins. Unfortunately, the T775 I have in my main theater room does not have this feature. Which means, I cannot use it as an amp with full range signal. I guess I could use the multi channel analog input to do this but that won't by pass the volume control, etc.

Sometimes, I feel like buying a different pre-amp to get the latest and greatest features and still use the NAD T775 for the amp. Oh well. I could get the NAD T763 I have downstairs and use the main in on that, but it is only a 6 channel amp.
post #4547 of 4559 Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Try a different hdmi port on the tv? Does the tv have a compnent or composite video input? Will Nad sent Osd out over analog video ports?
Turned out to be a false alarm. I switched over from DISH Network to AT&T uVerse last week and in the process did some re-cabling of connections to and from my NAD T775 and now the OSD shows up just fine over HDMI on my Panny plasma TV. When in doubt....reset the cables.
bommai likes this.
post #4548 of 4559 Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the "Check DSP Board" error coming from a T785. I tried all sorts of troubleshooting, updates, resets, reseating, all of it. Still have the error and no Digital Audio output from HDMI input sources. Do I now need to buy a new MDC Audio or Video both cards to fix this?
post #4549 of 4559 Old 02-02-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
I have the "Check DSP Board" error coming from a T785. I tried all sorts of troubleshooting, updates, resets, reseating, all of it. Still have the error and no Digital Audio output from HDMI input sources. Do I now need to buy a new MDC Audio or Video both cards to fix this?
Is the receiver working for a few things and not for other things? Were you doing something with the configuration when this happened? I had a problem with my T775HD one day when I was doing a reset on it and I guess I did not wait long enough for it to rewrite its flash memory or EEPROM or whatever before I turned it off and on and it won't come up. When I hooked up using RS232 to a PC and try to upgrade the firmware it would work but would never detect my AM200 and VM150 correctly. It thought they were the legacy boards. I reloaded the firmware by manually selecting the AM200/VM150 as my MDC boards and while it would successfully program the firmware, it did not fix the issue. I was about to open a support ticket with NAD when I was trying a bunch of things and I used the NAD receiver settings program (not the same one that you use to program it) and played around with the settings (such as sources, crossover, etc.) I noticed I had saved an old configuration file before. I loaded it and voila it came alive. My guess is that my unit's configuration memory got corrupted and the software did not handle it properly and was constantly crashing. Once I fixed the configuration it came up fine. You could try something like that or call NAD and ask for a good configuration file. You could even ask someone on the group to export you a good config file and you can import it. Not sure if a T775 file will work on the T785.
post #4550 of 4559 Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Can you provide me the latest firmware file you have for the T775? NAD recently changed their site and none of the links to the Txx5 models are working...
post #4551 of 4559 Old 02-06-2017, 03:46 PM

I have a T785 with "Check DSP board". MDC legacy cards. I also have a T175 Processor with the same cards that is/was fully working. I swapped out the full sandwich of HDMI/digital audio board from the T175 to the T785. The Check DSP on the T785 went away but now all I can get for listening modes is stereo downmix. The input is detecting 5.1, its just not switching to any of the other listening modes? Please help if you can.
post #4552 of 4559 Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
I have a T785 with "Check DSP board". MDC legacy cards. I also have a T175 Processor with the same cards that is/was fully working. I swapped out the full sandwich of HDMI/digital audio board from the T175 to the T785. The Check DSP on the T785 went away but now all I can get for listening modes is stereo downmix. The input is detecting 5.1, its just not switching to any of the other listening modes? Please help if you can.
Oops, I had Speaker A + B on, once I turned off B, all is well
post #4553 of 4559 Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi jakeplazma.

If you send ma a mail to : tue.dyb(@)gmail.com without () - I will send you fw for Txx5.
post #4554 of 4559 Old 02-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnerdk View Post
Hi jakeplazma.

If you send ma a mail to : tue.dyb(@)gmail.com without () - I will send you fw for Txx5.
Much obliged rrdk! Sending now...
post #4555 of 4559 Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 AM

Further Support of Tx5 Series? Jumping Ship

My patience has run out. I contacted NAD again about the newest modules with 4k HDMI 2.0b and Dirac

"Is the T775 going to receive firmware updates in order to be able to use the VM 300 and the AM 17 (or equivalent for receivers) in the near future? I was told the firmware may be coming in January 2017. Well, January has passed and I need to know whether there the T775 will be supported for 4K and Dolby Atmos with Dirac. If so, when is the ETA?...Finally, if I buy a T777 will I get free updates to make the current version compatible with 4K and Dolby Atmos?"

and this is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center regarding your T775.

We apologize for the delayed release of the newest MDC modules for legacy series AVR such as the Txx5 series; NAD is currently focused on refining the functionality of the Txx7 series amplifiers with the new MDC cards and will be looking to release Txx5 firmware later in the year but cannot commit to a timeframe.

As for the T777, you are entitled to free MDC upgrades when they become available; these units must be purchased from an authorized NAD dealer."

Well, this isn't promising in my opinion. I'm wondering if there will be any further support as this series is no longer really being displayed anywhere on NAD's revised website. Sometime later this year from my experience means sometime by the end of the decade, if at all. As for the TX7 series, although the module upgrades are free God only knows when they will be out. At least there will be free modules out at some point considering the price of the 4K module quoted by NAD and the cost for installation. Might as well as buy a new 4K capable receiver. Which is what I did.

Goodbye NAD. Hello Anthem.

PS. I'm not against NAD or Lenbrook. I also own a D 7050 and I'm considering BlueSound, but I won't buy into future upgradability promises. Even if upgradeable the cost may not be worth it. For multi-channel home theatre I believe one would have to go up to their Master Series. As an aside, a lot of their authorized dealers carry their stereo components but steer buyers towards other makes for multi-channel home theatre.
post #4556 of 4559 Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:

My two cents worth.
I just got a quote from my local NAD dealer to upgrade my T765 HD2 with the VM300 and AM230 MDC modules. The VM300 was $799 and the AM230 was $849.
Keep in mind, these are Canadian prices - but it's simply not worth it. Sadly disappointed in how this turned out, but I did get six wonderful years out of this receiver. I'm going to miss that NAD sound, but I can't justify spending this much when other companies sell new updated stuff for roughly the same price with a new warranty.
post #4557 of 4559 Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Much talk of separates.

Have a T775 which gets very warm, and have already had to put in for repairs twice in last 4 years, and repairer told me it looked like some components were heat-affected.

I now keep the front of the cabinet open when in use, have added vertical space (about another 2") above.

Just wondering: do separates (NAD or other) have less of a prob with overheating??
post #4558 of 4559 Old Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When NAD introduced the concept of MDC, they should have really meant it? For example, what are the real differences between the T7x7 and the T7x5 receivers? If they really meant all advancements went through MDC, they did not even need to release the newer T7x7 receivers. All they need to do is come out with newer MDC boards in a timely cost efficient manner. It is unfortunate, so many people are leaving NAD because of them dragging their field implementing newer technologies. It probably took some overhead to implement MDC but they haven't derived enough benefits from it. Also, asking for > $500 worth for a single MDC is not cost effective at all. I still love my NAD T775HD with a VM150 and a AM200. Everything is working great in it and I have gotten 5.5 solid years of use from it. The only feature I would pay money for at the earliest convenience is Dirac, but it looks like it may never come!
post #4559 of 4559 Old Today, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Much talk of separates.

Have a T775 which gets very warm, and have already had to put in for repairs twice in last 4 years, and repairer told me it looked like some components were heat-affected.

I now keep the front of the cabinet open when in use, have added vertical space (about another 2") above.

Just wondering: do separates (NAD or other) have less of a prob with overheating??
NAD's AV receivers definitely suffer from heat issues in the module area. When my t785HD stopped providing surround sound and the display said "Check DSP Module", I bought a new AM200 card from my local dealer and replaced it myself.

Like many manufacturers, NAD apparently did some post-production modifications to at least some of their modules - adding a couple of jumpers and two capacitors to the AM200, which they glued down to the PC board with Pliobond glue. The thing about Pliobond is that when it is exposed to excessive heat, it "carbonizes" (turns from light beige to dark brown). In extreme cases, it will carbonize so much that it becomes conductive and can etch away circuit foils.

In the case of the AM200 in my t785, the glue spots closest to the front of the chassis showed large deterioration: it was hard and very dark in color, but it hadn't etched any foils. Still, that is an indication of relatively high sustained heat in that area. Another spot of Pliobond closer to the rear of the AVR was still light in color and pliable (hence the Pliobond name).

I had an email conversation with someone at Lenbrook and they also said their t775 got hot in the module area and he was going to relay the need for better cooling in that area to the engineers. Of course, since that was about a year ago and the txx7 series was already well into production, I assume modifications to the case will never be made.

In any case, I've resolved not to spend any more money repairing or upgrading my t785HD. When it fails again, it will be replaced.

Be seeing you!

Last edited by cctvtech; Today at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors