The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #4561 of 4567 Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For me personally, passing 4K is not as important because many of the early ultra hd players support two HDMI outputs one for audio and one for video. Also, I use a 1080p projector and 4K projectors are still a few years away (I am talking about real 4K with good quality/under $3000 price).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4567 Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
If the firmware change is just for 4K then there is no reason to update. It won't do anything without the new video card. There might be some other fixes in the update but probably not much to get excited about.

The 787 has the extra hdmi card so it has 7 total input ports and 2 outputs, it also has an Ethernet connection which basically only provides control with the mobile app to use as a remote. Not sure if the 785 had the vm200 and am200 cards?

Not a bad price hopefully it lasts for you. Nad replaced my 785 that I upgraded with all the new cards with a new 787 after it kept blowing out channels multiple times. Now the 787 is in the shop for 3 months now and the authorized repair still hasn't been able to figure out what's wrong. When I took it in, it was going into protection mode as soon as I turned it on.
Phil, been a while since I have checked in here but I have a 775 that had the same problem going into protection mode as soon s it was turned on. I took it into a local high end audio/video business that also does repairs they tested and found some bad capacitors, They tried to contact NAD for replacements but did not get a response. They eventually found replacements that were actually a newer better design and installed those and now it works great again it was about a $400 repair though.

Well on further reading I see you got your NAD fixed! At least that problem huh? But anyone else having their NAD going into Protection mode it could be defective Caps.

Last edited by radtek; 03-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
post #4563 of 4567 Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
Phil, been a while since I have checked in here but I have a 775 that had the same problem going into protection mode as soon s it was turned on. I took it into a local high end audio/video business that also does repairs they tested and found some bad capacitors, They tried to contact NAD for replacements but did not get a response. They eventually found replacements that were actually a newer better design and installed those and now it works great again it was about a $400 repair though.

Well on further reading I see you got your NAD fixed! At least that problem huh? But anyone else having their NAD going into Protection mode it could be defective Caps.
Thanks, I think I paid $350 for my repair. They seemed to have a hard time getting the replacement amp board also from nad. And they were the authorized repair shop. At first they were quoting 6 weeks to get it! Do you know where the capacitors were located? I wonder if same card?

So far so good on the repair, but I'm certainly squeamish about it. I bought mine from Saturday Audio in Chicago and they've been great. Got me the new 787 after the original 785 with the latest mdc cards kept blowing channels. I see now they don't even carry the nad receivers. Anthems on sale this month but I haven't called for a price. He was quoting me less than $1k for the 787 as a trade-in. Still deciding on going for a 4k tv before the 2016 models that still have 3d are gone

Phil Tomaskovic

post #4564 of 4567 Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Thanks, I think I paid $350 for my repair. They seemed to have a hard time getting the replacement amp board also from nad. And they were the authorized repair shop. At first they were quoting 6 weeks to get it! Do you know where the capacitors were located? I wonder if same card?

So far so good on the repair, but I'm certainly squeamish about it. I bought mine from Saturday Audio in Chicago and they've been great. Got me the new 787 after the original 785 with the latest mdc cards kept blowing channels. I see now they don't even carry the nad receivers. Anthems on sale this month but I haven't called for a price. He was quoting me less than $1k for the 787 as a trade-in. Still deciding on going for a 4k tv before the 2016 models that still have 3d are gone
Phil, After re-reading my post I see I referred to my NAD as a 775 it is actually my 773 so no cards. I have it as a 2.1 setup in my study/PC/guitar practice/music room. The problem first started with a hum in just one channel (Rt Frt) try as I might could not eliminate the hum. Then it just stared going into protection mode. So the caps must have been in the speaker circuit? I don't recall for sure now where they were exactly (71 year old brain)

I do have a 7.2 setup with a NAD 785 HD receiver in the main living room that's now my Home theater side of things. I would like to eventually get 4k/Atmos cards for it. I am waiting for my iron horse 60 in. Pioneer 151 plasma to die and the prices of the new LG OLEDs to drop some too. Being retired now I have to watch my penny's a bit more then I used to.
post #4565 of 4567 Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
Phil, After re-reading my post I see I referred to my NAD as a 775 it is actually my 773 so no cards. I have it as a 2.1 setup in my study/PC/guitar practice/music room. The problem first started with a hum in just one channel (Rt Frt) try as I might could not eliminate the hum. Then it just stared going into protection mode. So the caps must have been in the speaker circuit? I don't recall for sure now where they were exactly (71 year old brain)

I do have a 7.2 setup with a NAD 785 HD receiver in the main living room that's now my Home theater side of things. I would like to eventually get 4k/Atmos cards for it. I am waiting for my iron horse 60 in. Pioneer 151 plasma to die and the prices of the new LG OLEDs to drop some too. Being retired now I have to watch my penny's a bit more then I used to.
Yeah, it gonna cost around $1000 at least for the new video and audio cards. Not sure it's worth it. If you want atmos, then definitely need the audio card. For the video, I'm guessing the only 4k devces might be a UHD bluray and Roku. So most blurays have a 2nd hdmi to go to the tv like before receivers handled 3d. So is the 4k card needed? It does have bluesound too but not a big deal to me.

Yeah, retired too. So watching my dollars, especially with free financing. I like the lg oled E6 too. Bestbuy gives 2 year financing. I see crutchfield has scratch and dent $600 off the 65" but only 6 mos finance. Hoping some price drops soon before 2017 models come in. Would like to keep 3d viewing if I can.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4566 of 4567 Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody have an LG tv? Just replaced my Sony with a 65E6P and many probs with CEC. Can't get ARC to work, also no luck powering up the NAd with the tv. The tv will power down the NAD and Oppo 203 when it's turned off, but that's the extent of control I can see.

The Oppo also will not power up the NAD now when it turns on, may be because the hdmi out for video is connected to the tv now in order to send 4k video. So the receiver is not really in the control path any more although the audio only hdmi port is connected to the NAD. I sent this question to Oppo support, but just wanted to see if any other LG tv owners here.

The LG forum isn't too optimistic for this to work. They recommend a Harmony and use optical out from the tv.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4567 of 4567 Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's that "Check DSP Board" again!

Hi guys. My trusty 775 has been giving me the "Check DSP Board". I believe I've got the VM200 and AM200 modules. I've searched the threads but my symptoms seem different to the usual problems discussed. My Amp starts up cold with the Check DSP Board, but after around 10 minutes (presumably once the amp is warmer), the message disappears and sound comes through normally. This has happened over the last 2 months and I'm finally losing patience watching silent movies, sports and news for 10 minutes.

I have not done a factory reset and wanted to leverage the forums knowledge before I try this. Any ideas?

Best, Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors