The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #4561 of 4588 Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 100
For me personally, passing 4K is not as important because many of the early ultra hd players support two HDMI outputs one for audio and one for video. Also, I use a 1080p projector and 4K projectors are still a few years away (I am talking about real 4K with good quality/under $3000 price).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4588 Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
If the firmware change is just for 4K then there is no reason to update. It won't do anything without the new video card. There might be some other fixes in the update but probably not much to get excited about.

The 787 has the extra hdmi card so it has 7 total input ports and 2 outputs, it also has an Ethernet connection which basically only provides control with the mobile app to use as a remote. Not sure if the 785 had the vm200 and am200 cards?

Not a bad price hopefully it lasts for you. Nad replaced my 785 that I upgraded with all the new cards with a new 787 after it kept blowing out channels multiple times. Now the 787 is in the shop for 3 months now and the authorized repair still hasn't been able to figure out what's wrong. When I took it in, it was going into protection mode as soon as I turned it on.
Phil, been a while since I have checked in here but I have a 775 that had the same problem going into protection mode as soon s it was turned on. I took it into a local high end audio/video business that also does repairs they tested and found some bad capacitors, They tried to contact NAD for replacements but did not get a response. They eventually found replacements that were actually a newer better design and installed those and now it works great again it was about a $400 repair though.

Well on further reading I see you got your NAD fixed! At least that problem huh? But anyone else having their NAD going into Protection mode it could be defective Caps.

Last edited by radtek; 03-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
post #4563 of 4588 Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
Phil, been a while since I have checked in here but I have a 775 that had the same problem going into protection mode as soon s it was turned on. I took it into a local high end audio/video business that also does repairs they tested and found some bad capacitors, They tried to contact NAD for replacements but did not get a response. They eventually found replacements that were actually a newer better design and installed those and now it works great again it was about a $400 repair though.

Well on further reading I see you got your NAD fixed! At least that problem huh? But anyone else having their NAD going into Protection mode it could be defective Caps.
Thanks, I think I paid $350 for my repair. They seemed to have a hard time getting the replacement amp board also from nad. And they were the authorized repair shop. At first they were quoting 6 weeks to get it! Do you know where the capacitors were located? I wonder if same card?

So far so good on the repair, but I'm certainly squeamish about it. I bought mine from Saturday Audio in Chicago and they've been great. Got me the new 787 after the original 785 with the latest mdc cards kept blowing channels. I see now they don't even carry the nad receivers. Anthems on sale this month but I haven't called for a price. He was quoting me less than $1k for the 787 as a trade-in. Still deciding on going for a 4k tv before the 2016 models that still have 3d are gone

Phil Tomaskovic

post #4564 of 4588 Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks, I think I paid $350 for my repair. They seemed to have a hard time getting the replacement amp board also from nad. And they were the authorized repair shop. At first they were quoting 6 weeks to get it! Do you know where the capacitors were located? I wonder if same card?

So far so good on the repair, but I'm certainly squeamish about it. I bought mine from Saturday Audio in Chicago and they've been great. Got me the new 787 after the original 785 with the latest mdc cards kept blowing channels. I see now they don't even carry the nad receivers. Anthems on sale this month but I haven't called for a price. He was quoting me less than $1k for the 787 as a trade-in. Still deciding on going for a 4k tv before the 2016 models that still have 3d are gone
Phil, After re-reading my post I see I referred to my NAD as a 775 it is actually my 773 so no cards. I have it as a 2.1 setup in my study/PC/guitar practice/music room. The problem first started with a hum in just one channel (Rt Frt) try as I might could not eliminate the hum. Then it just stared going into protection mode. So the caps must have been in the speaker circuit? I don't recall for sure now where they were exactly (71 year old brain)

I do have a 7.2 setup with a NAD 785 HD receiver in the main living room that's now my Home theater side of things. I would like to eventually get 4k/Atmos cards for it. I am waiting for my iron horse 60 in. Pioneer 151 plasma to die and the prices of the new LG OLEDs to drop some too. Being retired now I have to watch my penny's a bit more then I used to.
post #4565 of 4588 Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
Phil, After re-reading my post I see I referred to my NAD as a 775 it is actually my 773 so no cards. I have it as a 2.1 setup in my study/PC/guitar practice/music room. The problem first started with a hum in just one channel (Rt Frt) try as I might could not eliminate the hum. Then it just stared going into protection mode. So the caps must have been in the speaker circuit? I don't recall for sure now where they were exactly (71 year old brain)

I do have a 7.2 setup with a NAD 785 HD receiver in the main living room that's now my Home theater side of things. I would like to eventually get 4k/Atmos cards for it. I am waiting for my iron horse 60 in. Pioneer 151 plasma to die and the prices of the new LG OLEDs to drop some too. Being retired now I have to watch my penny's a bit more then I used to.
Yeah, it gonna cost around $1000 at least for the new video and audio cards. Not sure it's worth it. If you want atmos, then definitely need the audio card. For the video, I'm guessing the only 4k devces might be a UHD bluray and Roku. So most blurays have a 2nd hdmi to go to the tv like before receivers handled 3d. So is the 4k card needed? It does have bluesound too but not a big deal to me.

Yeah, retired too. So watching my dollars, especially with free financing. I like the lg oled E6 too. Bestbuy gives 2 year financing. I see crutchfield has scratch and dent $600 off the 65" but only 6 mos finance. Hoping some price drops soon before 2017 models come in. Would like to keep 3d viewing if I can.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4566 of 4588 Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody have an LG tv? Just replaced my Sony with a 65E6P and many probs with CEC. Can't get ARC to work, also no luck powering up the NAd with the tv. The tv will power down the NAD and Oppo 203 when it's turned off, but that's the extent of control I can see.

The Oppo also will not power up the NAD now when it turns on, may be because the hdmi out for video is connected to the tv now in order to send 4k video. So the receiver is not really in the control path any more although the audio only hdmi port is connected to the NAD. I sent this question to Oppo support, but just wanted to see if any other LG tv owners here.

The LG forum isn't too optimistic for this to work. They recommend a Harmony and use optical out from the tv.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4567 of 4588 Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's that "Check DSP Board" again!

Hi guys. My trusty 775 has been giving me the "Check DSP Board". I believe I've got the VM200 and AM200 modules. I've searched the threads but my symptoms seem different to the usual problems discussed. My Amp starts up cold with the Check DSP Board, but after around 10 minutes (presumably once the amp is warmer), the message disappears and sound comes through normally. This has happened over the last 2 months and I'm finally losing patience watching silent movies, sports and news for 10 minutes.

I have not done a factory reset and wanted to leverage the forums knowledge before I try this. Any ideas?

Best, Keith
post #4568 of 4588 Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Legacy Product Compatibility:
The new 4k MDC Modules will also provide the 4K / UHD upgrade for legacy T xx5 AVRs and pre-pros and this will become available in Q1 2017. "

Good news for those of use with the older xx5 receivers.[/quote]
This is an answer i got from NAD

Thank you for contacting NAD Support regarding support for the VM300 in your T765HD.

The firmware is still being written for the newly released 4K cards to function in older receivers. Yes we are hoping the AM230 with Atmos can be accommodated in the T765HD, however that software has yet to be developed as well.

Please continue to keep in touch with your countries Distributor for updates on the TXX5 4K firmware and AM230.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Bob

If this ever comes along it will cost me around $1200 to have the VM300 and AM230
My receiver is 7 years old, is it worth spending that ?
I only have a 5.0 setup with big B&W speakers and the newest audio formats are decoded in my oppo 203 anyway.
I can run 6 RCA cables from oppo to nad and enjoy
Any advice which brand/model of RCA cable to use ?
post #4569 of 4588 Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 AM

Hi

I've just repaired a T785 that had the "Check DSP Board" error when switched on.
I changed the A1952 SMD transistor on the DSP board at the back top.
Got a replacement device from RS Components for about £1.50.

Seems to be working OK now.

Hope this might help others

MC
post #4570 of 4588 Old 05-03-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcgsy View Post
Hi

I've just repaired a T785 that had the "Check DSP Board" error when switched on.

MC
This is great information and worth a try, don't suppose you have a pic to show which one it is. Did you have to split apart the audio video sections to get to it or is it located on the outside part of the board ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O-envio-gratuito-de-20-pçs-lote-2SA1952-A1952-SMD-TO252-Original-autêntico.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2115193  

Last edited by dmichael; 05-03-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #4571 of 4588 Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 AM

Hi

The preference would be to remove and seperate the boards and replace the transistor neatly.
I also found the HDMI board was badly bowing - this was caused by the SMD caps touching the shield so I cut holes to allow them to poke through.
The HDMI board was then a lot straighter.

I attached a pdf of the pics of the device and the holes in the shield.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A1952.pdf (164.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf Screen holes.pdf (149.7 KB, 40 views)
post #4572 of 4588 Old 05-07-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850cc View Post
"Legacy Product Compatibility:
The new 4k MDC Modules will also provide the 4K / UHD upgrade for legacy T xx5 AVRs and pre-pros and this will become available in Q1 2017. "

Good news for those of use with the older xx5 receivers.
This is an answer i got from NAD

Thank you for contacting NAD Support regarding support for the VM300 in your T765HD.

The firmware is still being written for the newly released 4K cards to function in older receivers. Yes we are hoping the AM230 with Atmos can be accommodated in the T765HD, however that software has yet to be developed as well.

Please continue to keep in touch with your countries Distributor for updates on the TXX5 4K firmware and AM230.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Bob

If this ever comes along it will cost me around $1200 to have the VM300 and AM230
My receiver is 7 years old, is it worth spending that ?
I only have a 5.0 setup with big B&W speakers and the newest audio formats are decoded in my oppo 203 anyway.
I can run 6 RCA cables from oppo to nad and enjoy
Any advice which brand/model of RCA cable to use ?[/QUOTE]
Just happened to see a review of the vm300 board on Crutchfield by a buyer. One problem is probably hardware-related: video overlays are no longer supported. Now 'Info' is only indicated on the T777 front display -- it does not appear on the TV. Also, the AVR menu, when accessed, replaces the existing video rather than overlaying it. Other functions like source table view are missing. And you can't reset the Audyssey calibration. All of this is a big, unadvertised, step backward in usability.

Interesting... perhaps all this is due to first crack at fimware but who knows. Funny that they are selling the board but the new 777v3 is not available. Although the audio board is still not listed for sale so maybe thats the hold up?

You also lose a hdmi port, optical in,and optical out. At least when looking at the 777v3 pictures they show.

If you want the bluesound kit, that's akso another $200.

I've been debating about doing this upgrade too. I just got an Anthem 720 to try out. It's nice, a few things I wish were different, but I'm being nit picky about that.
They have a 20% sale now so I got a good price. A slight bump to buying all three mdc cards. Maybe the power is a little less than the NaD, not a toroidal unless you bump up to the 1120. The only thing nagging me is trying to sell the 787 and getting decent return on it. One dealer's offer was <$1k. They sell a lot of used equip and claim older surround receivers don't sell.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4573 of 4588 Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have an older T777 and that is my issue with the "upgrade" - yes you gain some new features but at the expense of connectivity and (for now) no room correction.....and it's quite expensive since the price of the T777v3 is the same as the price of my 4 year old T777. I have a Parasound A23 powering my L/R now with the thought that I could essentially move away from the NAD and try something else when I want to add the new features. Maybe Anthem or Marantz and/or add additional Parasound amplification.
post #4574 of 4588 Old 05-07-2017, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
I have an older T777 and that is my issue with the "upgrade" - yes you gain some new features but at the expense of connectivity and (for now) no room correction.....and it's quite expensive since the price of the T777v3 is the same as the price of my 4 year old T777. I have a Parasound A23 powering my L/R now with the thought that I could essentially move away from the NAD and try something else when I want to add the new features. Maybe Anthem or Marantz and/or add additional Parasound amplification.
Can you expand on what you mean by "connectivity and room correction"? You mean fewer hdmi and optical inputs? What about correction? Is audyssey broke with the new vireo card until new audio card?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4575 of 4588 Old 05-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Can you expand on what you mean by "connectivity and room correction"? You mean fewer hdmi and optical inputs? What about correction? Is audyssey broke with the new vireo card until new audio card?
Yes, if you look on the NAD site for the AM230 module which is the one specified for the T777 for Atmos there is no mention of Audessey or any room correction. It only notes "auto speaker setup". The AM17 for the Masters Series mentions Dirac Live quite prominently. It's unclear what the plans are for the T series in reading the specs for the 2 different modules. I believe someone did confirm that the AM230 is the one earmarked for the T series after NAD decided not to develop an AM250.
post #4576 of 4588 Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post
Yes, if you look on the NAD site for the AM230 module which is the one specified for the T777 for Atmos there is no mention of Audessey or any room correction. It only notes "auto speaker setup". The AM17 for the Masters Series mentions Dirac Live quite prominently. It's unclear what the plans are for the T series in reading the specs for the 2 different modules. I believe someone did confirm that the AM230 is the one earmarked for the T series after NAD decided not to develop an AM250.
Crutchfield says audyssey XT for the 777v3 and just audyssey for the 758v3.
Maybe Nad was just sloppy. Not sure what auto speaker setup would mean without room correction too. Could the same card in 2 different machines use different versions of audyssey? Maybe that's why they were less specific. If 2 models have different firmware.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4577 of 4588 Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi

MC
HI, Mike.
Could I get a little background here? I have a dead T765 with AM200 / VM 200 cards with the dreaded -check dsp board message. It will power on but that's it. Been through all the firmware remedies.
How did you come to isolate this particular chip as the problem? Any idea if it is likely my solution or is there a multitude of possibilities. (Afraid I know the answer to this one!)

Thanks,
Bill
post #4578 of 4588 Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Hi

MC
Thanks MC, how did you figure out it was that specific transistor?
Best Keith
post #4579 of 4588 Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Hi,

Has anyone used their unit strictly as an amplifier with the "Check DSP Board" message or do you have to replace the board regardless of how you use it? I would think since you're using the Pre Inputs and not any of the DSP functions that you would be able to do that but not sure if NAD allows this. I'm only interesting in using it as an amplifier.

Thanks.
post #4580 of 4588 Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Question Does anyone have a leftover AM100 module?

T775 (non-HD model) owner here. Want to upgrade module to decode HD audio.
post #4581 of 4588 Old 07-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
NAD T775 Power issue

Hi Brainstrust,

First-time poster,

I have had a NAD T775 for awhile, and I love the sound of it.

Recently it has developed an issue where it intermittently will stop outputting audio,
1/20 times it will happen, with a full power cycle the issue will disappear and won't be a problem again for another few weeks.

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Ben
post #4582 of 4588 Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBruce View Post
Hi Brainstrust,

First-time poster,

I have had a NAD T775 for awhile, and I love the sound of it.

Recently it has developed an issue where it intermittently will stop outputting audio,
1/20 times it will happen, with a full power cycle the issue will disappear and won't be a problem again for another few weeks.

Any Ideas?
Ben, when it does happen, does it happen when you first turn on the T775 or does it stop the audio after it has been running a while? If the latter, and you have had this for a while, it could be that one or more of the cooling fans are starting to fail (or have failed). The bearings eventually wear out and if the unit is not getting adequate cooling, then things can overheat causing things like audio dropout.

You can search this thread for more information on this topic and how to investigate if the fans are failing. One owner described the process of replacing the fans (not too hard if you have ever replaced or added components to a desktop PC) and I also documented my experience replacing the fans following his instructions.

There could be other possible causes of your audio dropout issue, but this would be a good place to start.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, Martin Logan Abyss and SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #4583 of 4588 Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Hello HiFi-Lovers

First of all, I am happy this discussion is still open. As I began to go through this posts I started with the first post of 2007 and now, in 2017, there are over 4000 Posts, WOW :-)

I recently bought myself a used NAD T175 with AM200 and VM200 modules because I made very good experience with the VXP technology (the media Player Popcorn Hour A-400 which is equipped with Sigma Designs SMP8911 processor). I tested the NAD yesterday for the first time and was looking for some experience about video-processing on SD-material because I am not sure if it would have been better to set on an AVR with a newer VXP-processor, for example the GF9452. As I mentioned in this forum the VM200 module is equipped with Sigma Designs GF9351 chip.
So has anyone made some experience about this? Is there a big difference between those processors in upscaling SD-material?
post #4584 of 4588 Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I have a T775HD that I bought new in 2010. I have just picked up the latest Apple TV. My TV is Sony x9300.

when I turn on the Apple TV, it auto turns on the TV.

I have the Blu-ray in HDMI 1 and the Apple TV in HDMI 2 , in the inputs on the NAD. The HDMI out of the NAD is into HDMI 1 in the SONY.

Now one of the devices is telling the TV to be on HDMI 2 (nothing plugged into that on the SONY) . It only does this sometime. I never have the SONY on HDMI 2 as nothing is plugged into that port.

any ideas?

cheers
Serg
post #4585 of 4588 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
Hey all,

I have a T775HD that I bought new in 2010. I have just picked up the latest Apple TV. My TV is Sony x9300.

when I turn on the Apple TV, it auto turns on the TV.

I have the Blu-ray in HDMI 1 and the Apple TV in HDMI 2 , in the inputs on the NAD. The HDMI out of the NAD is into HDMI 1 in the SONY.

Now one of the devices is telling the TV to be on HDMI 2 (nothing plugged into that on the SONY) . It only does this sometime. I never have the SONY on HDMI 2 as nothing is plugged into that port.

any ideas?

cheers
Serg
I bought the latest Apple TV and returned it and kept my older version.
I would try disabling CEC on it, it appears to have problems. The old model didn't have cec. I was really unhappy with it. What really made me mad was that could no longer use the remote app on my iPad to tell the Apple to access my iTunes library directly. A new 4k model is rumored to be out in the fall.

Isn't the Apple TV always on and just wakes up from standby? Wasn't sure if it was turning on the tv when you wanted it to or if it was doing it unexpectedly. I think there's a setting to turn off vs stay in standby.

Since the Apple TV us on hdmi 2 on the Nad, I can only guess it's trying to put the tv on hdmi 2 also, but that is very weird. You might also look in the sonys settings for hdmi cec and see if it looks correct in the devices list. My old Sony had this and it was sometimes wrong when I tried o use ARC, it just took a lot of cable replugging and power cycling of devices before it was right.

You could call Apple support but I think they won't be able to help on thus type of issue.

Phil Tomaskovic

Last edited by Phil Tomaskovic; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.
post #4586 of 4588 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #4587 of 4588 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still love my nad T775HD but am waiting patiently to see if they would provide the MDC card with Dirac in it. I tried out a Dirac trial on my Mac before and it is awesome. The only other thing I might want one day is atmos support and 4K pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4588 of 4588 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was recently tempted by the sale price on denon 4300h and then backed out knowing fully well nad 775 will run circles around it for audio quality. Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page