AVS Forum banner

The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!

Tags
nad
793K views 5K replies 444 participants last post by  Miguel86 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3,809 ·
NAD Bows Two Receivers and Preamp

By Mark Fleischmann • Posted: Jan 7, 2011

"They include the T 787 ($3499) and T 757 ($1499) a/v receivers, with seven times 120 and 60 watts respectively, both fully up to date with HDMI 1.a for 3D compatibility. Also shown was the T 187 pre-pro ($2499). The pricier receiver and pre-pro can be outfitted with an optional Control4 module."

http://www.hometheater.com/content/n...ers-and-preamp

Looks like they lowered their prices a bit. Almost makes me wish I had waited (t785HD purchased in 2010)...

#3,810 ·
Bommai,

Thank you for the quick response. I decided to go with the 775 because I wanted the extra power. I have a pair of PSB Silver Stratus as my mains and feel I will be better served with the extra wattage. Plus I won't need the extra HDMI inputs that the 777 will offer.

I'm quite excited as I also bought the Cambridge Audio BD751. Looking forward to hooking everything up enjoying the new setup.

Regards,

Brodie

#3,813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckymucky /forum/post/21471954

I got my 785 with the AM/VM 200s upgraded to firmware 1.34 and it is awesome. I have no audio cut off at the beginning of tracks from any digital source at all. I am in love with 785 all over again.

Isn't that nice. I have had my T775HD since last summer and while I liked the sound, small things like this was annoying me, but I knew that NAD will come through with a firmware update. I think we should send a thank you to NAD for coming through. I have previously owned HK and now NAD and both of them have great customer support dept even though I think HK moved theirs overseas!!

#3,814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/21143695

Did you get the T763 back? I bought a T763 from a seller on Craigslist. Love it. I got it updated to the latest firmware. Then I got tempted and bought a t775hd. Like it too. I haven't gotten the heart to sell my t763.

I indeed got the T763 back from factory repair, fairly shortly after the local repair shop finally gave it to the NAD rep. Everything went fast after NAD was in charge. They replaced a bunch of boards, they tested it over a week-end to make sure it was not a fire hazard and it still runs now. While it displays the noise same problem as before, this may turn out to be something not being the T763's fault, like my subwoofer causing interference. I shall see how my investigation turns out.

Good luck guys with the T7x5 line.

#3,815 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterc /forum/post/21472536

Does anyone know what the unused Daughterboard ports at the rear of the VM150 + VM150x are for?

You mean what is the LAN port for ? The marketing argument says: "Ethernet Port allows network control of the AV receiver"

Unfortunately, at moment the current firmware doesn't permit to use this feature. I contacted NAD and my local NAD dealer and confirmed me : "We have to wait on a new firmware update"

#3,816 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdevinci /forum/post/21474793

You mean what is the LAN port for ? The marketing argument says: "Ethernet Port allows network control of the AV receiver"

Unfortunately, at moment the current firmware doesn't permit to use this feature. I contacted NAD and my local NAD dealer and confirmed me : "We have to wait on a new firmware update"

What would be nice is if we can get features like AirPlay or Internet Radio, Pandora, etc. These are just services that run on top of TCP/IP. Once the infrastructure software is there, everything else on top could be done! Even future firmware downloads, however, I doubt it.

I work on embedded software/hardware and have implemented TCP/IP/DHCP/SNTP/HTTP, etc for a small hardware with minimal OS support. Now we can update our firmware through http and ftp, as well as perform all configuration through it.

We should even be able to use an iPhone, iPad, Android or other devices as remotes and even perform calibration. This would come in handy for Audyssey since my projector makes some noise. This way, I can leave the projector off while I do the calibration.

I can dream

#3,818 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdevinci /forum/post/21474793

No, on the VM150 card itself there is a port for the VM150X and towards the back of the card there are more daughterboard slots. I'm guessing this could be used for additional analog upscaling features like the VM200 has (but thats a complete WAG).

#3,819 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/21255150

Make sure you have the nickel plated mic and not the gold. They sent me gold and NAD sent me the nickel to replace it. The gold was for the old T775 not the HD ones.

Would this advice about microphone colours also apply to older T775s that have been upgraded with the VM150/AM200 boards? Just got mine upgraded (plus some other fixes)

#3,820 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringcorp /forum/post/0

Would this advice about microphone colours also apply to older T775s that have been upgraded with the VM150/AM200 boards? Just got mine upgraded (plus some other fixes)

That's a good question. I would have assumed that it depends on the dsp they have which will depend on the mdc card. But you might want to check with NAD.

#3,821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/21494489

That's a good question. I would have assumed that it depends on the dsp they have which will depend on the mdc card. But you might want to check with NAD.

I sent Bob Moran at NAD an email on this and will report back. His out of office reply said he was at CES and will be back Monday.

#3,823 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertofer /forum/post/0

Anyone seen if, other than the wattage, there are any substantial difference between the 775HD2 and the new 777 that is coming out? Better Audyssey or anything like that?

From what I saw, it has the same AM200 card and says audyssey multiEQ XT. So no difference. I think they changed the face plate and lowered the amp. This is kind of unfortunate because they are coming under typical CE pressures of constantly upgrading. The beauty of mdc is kind of watered down. I hope NAD will still release new features in addition to bug fixes through firmware updates. I know this does not give them immediate financial incentives. But at least more loyal NAD owners. For example, my NAD T775HD with an upgraded vm150 is perfect right now but if they do support multi eq xt32 in the future may be it could be a firmware update. I don't mind not having an old face plate. I think if mdc is to become relevant NAD has to convince owners that card upgrades are the way to go and not whole units. If more people did that may be the mdc cards could come down in price too.

#3,824 ·
Guys,

Planning to get the NAD T775 this week.

Is it capable of playing FLAC files through USB and what disk format does it recognize coz I'm planning to play FLAC using my 500gb portable drive.

Also is the T775 HD capable of streaming FLAC audio files from DLNA devices like android smartphones?

Thanks a lot :)

#3,825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 /forum/post/21498667

Guys,

Planning to get the NAD T775 this week.

Is it capable of playing FLAC files through USB and what disk format does it recognize coz I'm planning to play FLAC using my 500gb portable drive.

Also is the T775 HD capable of streaming FLAC audio files from DLNA devices like android smartphones?

Thanks a lot :)

If that is important to you, you are going to be disappointed. The T775HD2 comes with the AM200 and VM100(3D version) cards. There is no ethernet on this. There is a VM150 and VM150x upgrade cards which the VM150x has ethernet but the software work is not yet completed. NAD has not even advertised what it will support yet. I would say get a dedicated streamer for your FLAC files such as a WDTV, or one of the other ones. YOu can still use the DACs on the T775 which are very good.

I use my computer directly connected to the T775 through optical. I also use an AppleTV for another room connected to my NAD T744. Works great and I don't have to worry about new audio formats not getting supported, etc. The AppleTV is only $100 while the T775HD2 is $1999 or so - if I am correct.

#3,826 ·
Well I just got my 785 back from the shop and after a 90 mile roundtrip, set everything up and the right surround channel is still not working! I found if I crank the surround +6db, I will hear some crackling from that speaker but that's it. Of course, if I swap the left & right surround speaker wires, it follows to the left speaker not working. Guess I should have had them show me it was fixed at the store (who sent it to the NAD auth repair shop). And they had it in the shop for 2 months, supposedly waiting for a part (which I don't know what)!

One other thing... I also had them add the vm150x card. The salesman did say I was brave to do an upgrade right after it getting it back but I didn't want to make that drive again. Anyways, I still have a Toshiba A35 HD DVD and I connected it to hdmi-4 on the 150x card. Tried playing a dic and it kept stuttering (pciture and audio would blank out for a second and then return). Tried a different hdmi cable, no help. Switched the player to send pcm vs bitstream,. no help. Tried another disc... Then put it on hdmi-3 which had my Oppo 93 on it and it plays perfectly. The Oppo plays fine on hdmi-4.

Anyone else have a HD DVD and vm150x to see if they see the same issue?

#3,828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/21498898

I use my computer directly connected to the T775 through optical.

I have an iBuyPower i7-930 gamer computer with an ATI HD5770 video card connected to my t785HD with AM200 & VM200 cards and mostly love it. I originally tried using HDMI for both audio and video but experienced the same sound turn-on delays (skipping 3-5 sec of track beginning) so I wound up using optical for the sound and HDMI for the video.

That's until I upgraded the firmware from v1.23 to v1.34 last week. Now I'm running full HDMI between the computer and the t785HD with no issues whatsoever. My next step will be to switch the cable box (SA 8300HD) back to HDMI and see if the problems have disappeared there too.

Problem 1 was the cable box would experience strings of audio dropouts on both HDMI and component/optical which required changing the channel to fix. That's appears to be fixed with v1.34, at least for component/optical. Problem 2 was that the cable box would "lock up" with HDMI. The picture would shift side-to-side continually and the sound would cut in and out. The only fix was to reboot the cable box; something I would have to do at least weekly. Switching to component fixed that but I'm hoping v1.34 fixed that for HDMI too - I'll test that when I get the energy to get behind the system again.

I can also report that the firmware upgrade went very smoothy. I used my older laptop with RS232 M-F cable. The interconnect doesn't require a null modem, just a straight RS232 cable. The upgrade software auto-negotiates the connection so you don't have to mess with Com Port settings. After each step, it restored my settings, including Audyssey, so at the end everything was retained. I'm very happy with the results so far!

#3,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic /forum/post/21499614

One other thing... I also had them add the vm150x card. The salesman did say I was brave to do an upgrade right after it getting it back but I didn't want to make that drive again. Anyways, I still have a Toshiba A35 HD DVD and I connected it to hdmi-4 on the 150x card. Tried playing a dic and it kept stuttering (pciture and audio would blank out for a second and then return). Tried a different hdmi cable, no help. Switched the player to send pcm vs bitstream,. no help. Tried another disc... Then put it on hdmi-3 which had my Oppo 93 on it and it plays perfectly. The Oppo plays fine on hdmi-4.

Anyone else have a HD DVD and vm150x to see if they see the same issue?

Yes Phil, I've had exactly the same issue with inputs on the VM150x. I had my PC connected to HDMI4,5 or 6 and syncing issues would occur. Placing my PC on HDMI 1,2 or 3 would fix the issue.

I also tried a DVD player on the same inputs and the issue was still there (although not as frequent).

I have recently purchased an OPPO-BDP93 and it is working without issue on HDMI4. I've also upgraded to FW1.34, so I couldn't tell you if it works because of the firmware upgrade or the BDP93. I'll attach my PC to HDMI4 to see if it was the FW tonight. NAD are aware of my issue, as I sent them some information towards the end of December.

#3,830 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterc /forum/post/21500360

Yes Phil, I've had exactly the same issue with inputs on the VM150x. I had my PC connected to HDMI4,5 or 6 and syncing issues would occur. Placing my PC on HDMI 1,2 or 3 would fix the issue.

I also tried a DVD player on the same inputs and the issue was still there (although not as frequent).

I have recently purchased an OPPO-BDP93 and it is working without issue on HDMI4. I've also upgraded to FW1.34, so I couldn't tell you if it works because of the firmware upgrade or the BDP93. I'll attach my PC to HDMI4 to see if it was the FW tonight. NAD are aware of my issue, as I sent them some information towards the end of December.

I'm still on v1.32.

thanks, glad it's not me. I was thinking maybe the hd dvd player was going bad.After I got the vm150 and lost the 4th hdmi, I tried a hdmi switch and the hd dvd player also had problem connected thru that but the Oppo was fine. I assumed the switch was at fault and moved the hd dvd to component video. Now I lost that option!

#3,832 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox /forum/post/21499983

Upgrading from Audyssey XT to XT32 would require more powerful processing hardware, not just a firmware update, so don't expect it to happen.

Actually not:

"MultEQ XT32 increases filter resolution 32-fold using an innovative new signal-processing algorithm that does not require any additional computing power."

http://www.audyssey.com/about/press-...on-multeq-xt32

#3,833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/0

Actually not:

"MultEQ XT32 increases filter resolution 32-fold using an innovative new signal-processing algorithm that does not require any additional computing power."

http://www.audyssey.com/about/press-...on-multeq-xt32

That's what I thought too but I am sure licensing costs might discourage a free firmware update. What would be nice is a paid software upgrade if a free one is beyond their scope.