post #451 of 4310 Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaxMan View Post

So this appears to be a problem with the receiver and with 1080p.

this seems odd. If I'm correct the NAD HDMI should only be a "pass-thru" (with 1080p resolution)? There should'nt be any problem.

Quote:

I don't have any other sources except the HD cable box, and there seems to be no issues with that when connected to the 775

how is your digital cable-box connected- using HDMI as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4310 Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc1 View Post

It displays volume changes and other important system settings as they are accessed/changed, and does so without changing the output resolution. Remember that there is no video processing/scaling going on here. (also note that an option is included to turn this feature off if you do not want to see these pop-up on the screen during a movie, for example.) Again, for any blu-ray playback, my projector is in either 1080p/24fps or 1080p/60fps mode and I have never had a problem with either the OSD or the aforementioned pop-ups.

Awesome, thanks.
post #453 of 4310 Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Are the cables you tried rated for 1080P over the distance you're running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

this seems odd. If I'm correct the NAD HDMI should only be a "pass-thru" (with 1080p resolution)? There should'nt be any problem.

how is your digital cable-box connected- using HDMI as well?

I'm using a 3 ft cable between BD Player and 775 and then a 6-footer to the TV... so length isn't an issue. As far as I can tell, all cables are 1.3 certified. I'm using these, from cablesondemand

Cable box is connected with similar HDMI cable.

Since I first posted this question, I've noticed that I get the snow effect while changing channels on the cable box, too. Usually when switching from a 720p station to one in 1080i.

But just like the BD player, if I connect cable box directly to TV, everything works fine. So would you agree it's looking more and more like the receiver is at fault? Or, could cables be the culprit?
post #454 of 4310 Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I'm using a 3 ft cable between BD Player and 775 and then a 6-footer to the TV... so length isn't an issue. As far as I can tell, all cables are 1.3 certified. I'm using these, from cablesondemand

Cable box is connected with similar HDMI cable.

Since I first posted this question, I've noticed that I get the snow effect while changing channels on the cable box, too. Usually when switching from a 720p station to one in 1080i.

But just like the BD player, if I connect cable box directly to TV, everything works fine. So would you agree it's looking more and more like the receiver is at fault? Or, could cables be the culprit?

the link you posted doesn't work for me. It could be the cables...are both the 3ft and 6ft cables certified 1.3? have you tried connecting directly to the TV with all of the cables you use in the player-receiver-tv chain? If you have done this and are still having a problem, it does seem like the receiver is at fault. When did you purchase the 775? If you got an early one, like I did, you might have faulty HDMI board. If that is the case, NAD has a fix in place already. Either way, your best bet is to contact NAD via their website (web help center). Be patient as it usually takes a day or two for a response but they will get back to you.

John
post #455 of 4310 Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Hey gang,
My new NAD 775 seems to be having a handshaking issue with my new Samsung 1400 BD player. Can you confirm where the issue is? What component is bad?

I connect the BD player to the 775 via HDMI and then the 775 to my Samsung 4671 with HDMI. When I change output resolution of the BD from 1080i to 1080p, I get snow, screeching sounds and general mayhem on the TV. It reminds me of 40 years ago when you would adjust your antenna to improve TV reception, but then went too far and lost the signol entirely. After a few minutes of this things start to clear up and then the picture comes in. But it still flickers sometimes and pops the speakers connected to the 775. I get none of this when I switch the BD player back to 1080i, although I still get an occasional pop when I skip to a previous song while listening to an audio CD on the BD player. Very annoying. I don't know which component is generating the pop.

At first I thought it might be the cable, but I've tried three different cables (1.3) from two manufactures with no difference. And when I connect the BD player directly to the TV using same HDMI cable and then switch to 1080p, it performs like a charm. So this appears to be a problem with the receiver and with 1080p. I don't have any other sources except the HD cable box, and there seems to be no issues with that when connected to the 775.

So my question to you is what other diagnostics can I perform to confirm the problem is with the NAD? I'd hate to take it back for another and then find out the problem was really with the BD player. I recently upgraded to the latest firmware on the BD player, so that's taken care of.

Thanks

I'm having very similar problems with my Panny BD10A player. Audio via HDMI seems ok but video sometimes non existant or drops out intermittantly. Cable HD DVR connected via HDMI gets the white screen sometimes when changing from SD to HD channels. I ordered my 775 from a dealer the first of Nov and just recieved it last week. I assumed it had the updated HDMI board. I have contacted NAD support but haven't heard anything yet.
post #456 of 4310 Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
John - does the 775 accept 88.2 or 176.4 as the samping rate for multichannel PCM from the PS3?
post #457 of 4310 Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc1 View Post

the link you posted doesn't work for me. It could be the cables...are both the 3ft and 6ft cables certified 1.3? have you tried connecting directly to the TV with all of the cables you use in the player-receiver-tv chain? If you have done this and are still having a problem, it does seem like the receiver is at fault. When did you purchase the 775? If you got an early one, like I did, you might have faulty HDMI board. If that is the case, NAD has a fix in place already. Either way, your best bet is to contact NAD via their website (web help center). Be patient as it usually takes a day or two for a response but they will get back to you.

John

Yeah, all cables are certified. And everything works perfectly when I take the NAD out of the loop. Here's that link again. cablesondemand.com

My NAD serial number ends in 00271, so I assume I got #271 off the assembly line. Is that early? It's really odd because after it warms up, it (mostly) stablizes. It's just the initial handshaking that's rough. I was able to watch 2 hours of 1080p last night with just a few glitches.
Thanks for suggestion. I'll contact them right away.
post #458 of 4310 Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM

By glitches, do you mean the video drops out? On mine the video drops out for a few seconds but the audio continues without interruption. I also noticed when playing a CD or DVD-A, if the TV is turned off the audio shuts down. Although with the HD DVR input the audio will continue without the TV on.
post #459 of 4310 Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_N View Post

John - does the 775 accept 88.2 or 176.4 as the samping rate for multichannel PCM from the PS3?

it accepts 88.2, but does not accept 176.4
post #460 of 4310 Old 11-27-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwarner View Post

By glitches, do you mean the video drops out? On mine the video drops out for a few seconds but the audio continues without interruption. I also noticed when playing a CD or DVD-A, if the TV is turned off the audio shuts down. Although with the HD DVR input the audio will continue without the TV on.

Glitches include random video/audio dropouts or the TV screen switching to snow for 1 or 2 seconds. All of this gets more and more infrequent the longer it's on. Like it has to warm up. After an hour, it's pretty stable. It definitely takes all the joy out of owning something this.
post #461 of 4310 Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW, we're having glitches with about any HDMI *anything* if there's a Blu-Ray *anything* attached. Affects NHT preamps too. I just tell people to avoid this whole Blu-Ray *crap*. Sorry, but I just hate BD. It makes our life miserable, but HD-DVD works great so far.

John
post #462 of 4310 Old 11-28-2007, 05:56 PM

I am having a similar issue as MrTaxMan in that when I connect my new T585 player to my Panny plasma directly via HDMI everything works fine (picture & sound come thru and the player behaves properly). Howerver when I connect the player thru the 775 (via HDMI) I dont get picture or sound and the player itself seems to behave oddly in that the information in the player's LCD display seems inconsistent (the play clock jumps around or pauses) as well as the buttons on the player are unresponsive, but of course without being able to see what the DVD player is doing on screen is frustrating. On the 775's display the HDMI sign is on but the digital sign flashes. I would think this means it is not getting a proper signal from the source, the 585 player.
I do have an HD cable box connected to the 775 via HDMI and picture and sound come thru perfectly.
I am using AudioQuest HDMI-1 cables (1.3 rated)

So I am not sure if the problem is with the 775, the 585 or my setup. I posted a question with Nad help center earlier today and will be bringing both units back to my dealer for further investigation this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this or has been able to succesfully connect these two units together thru HDMI.

Thanks,
Cliff.
Calgary,AB

Calgary, Alberta
post #463 of 4310 Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrass View Post

when I connect the player thru the 775 (via HDMI) I dont get picture or sound and the player itself seems to behave oddly

I do have an HD cable box connected to the 775 via HDMI and picture and sound come thru perfectly.

I'm wondering, since everything is functioning okay thru digital-cable box, if there may be some copy-protection problem related to the disc(s) being played when you are using the T-585?

Did you experiment just playing an audio CD, and then a DVD, etc.,...?
post #464 of 4310 Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering, since everything is functioning okay thru digital-cable box, if there may be some copy-protection problem related to the disc(s) being played when you are using the T-585?

Did you experiment just playing an audio CD, and then a DVD, etc.,...?

I tried a a few different DVDs as well as regular (non copy-protected) CDs, all with the same affect.
I also noticed that while the DVD player is connected to 775 but not switched to the player HDMI source the player behaves properly, it is only once the source is switched to the 585 that it begins to not respond (responds & plays slowly) and fails to play sound or video.

Calgary, Alberta
post #465 of 4310 Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM

Hi. The T775 is released in New Zealand in December and the T785 at the end of January. Is it worth the wait for the additional features/power of the T785? My speakers are Monitor Audio RS6, RS-FX, LCR, RS1s. I'm no expert on NAD power so would appreciate any views on how much difference the extra Watts will make when I already have reasonably sensitive speakers.
Thanks, Raymond
post #466 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

FWIW, we're having glitches with about any HDMI *anything* if there's a Blu-Ray *anything* attached. Affects NHT preamps too. I just tell people to avoid this whole Blu-Ray *crap*. Sorry, but I just hate BD. It makes our life miserable, but HD-DVD works great so far.

I am interested in your impression of the sound of the 775. I have Martin Logan speakers (Aeon i, Cinema and Frescos) and have been considering this unit. My dealer has a 765 in stock but not the 775, and does not sell ML. I have never owned NAD before. Everyone keeps saying in other threads it is a "warm" sounding receiver. I take that to mean it is rolled off or "slow" sounding in the treble, which is not for me. What is your take on the sound quality of this receiver?
post #467 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The only feature difference between the 775/785 is the remote. The 785 has an LCD remote w/USB port. The wattage difference in dBW is next to nothing. The 785 has twin toroidal transformers.
post #468 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

The only feature difference between the 775/785 is the remote. The 785 has an LCD remote w/USB port. The wattage difference in dBW is next to nothing. The 785 has twin toroidal transformers.

I am not sure I would say the the difference is next to nothing in dBW. It may not be a lot on paper but between the twin toroidal transformer and the increase in dBW it may be worth the extra money, especially if you are running it through MA R6's. I have MA GS60's on there way to me and I am debating between the T785 and a Parasound System (Pre/Pro). I have heard great things when it comes to NAD sound, but I have been a little worried about what I have read in this thread when it comes to the HDMI issues. I hope NAD has the issues worked out in the 785. Here are the differences in dBW T785 vs. T775:

Power output (stereo, 8 ohms within rated distortion 2 x 150W (21.8dbW) vs. 130W (21.1dbW)

IHF dynamic power 8 ohms 2 x 250W (23.9dBW) vs. 2 x 200W (23dBW)

Simultaneous power output surround mode 7 x 120W (20.8dBW) - [7 x 190W (22.8dbW)Minimum Continuous Power (FTC)] 7 x 100W (20dBW) - [7 x 165W (22.2dbW)Minimum Continuous Power (FTC)]

If you can wait it out and hear the two on the same set of speakers that would be the best, but if not its just a bunch of specs that may or may not make a difference to you?
post #469 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I'm curious what could possibly be the difference between the two--do you think it's copy protection? Shouldn't the HDMI video interfaces be functionally the same for each, 1080p24 aside?

I haven't had any issues with HDMI on my T775 aside from the LPCM problem that was documented earlier, and that would've affected HD-DVD as well as BD.

I feel the pain of anyone who is having issues with HDMI, but...welcome to early adoption.
post #470 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know. Could be. Maybe it's not even BD's fault, just a coincidence or something.

John
post #471 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I don't know. Could be. Maybe it's not even BD's fault, just a coincidence or something.

I'm not saying it isn't something to do with BD...I was curious.
post #472 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
has anyone here listened to the Arcam 350? how do these units compare soundwise?
post #473 of 4310 Old 11-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

has anyone here listened to the Arcam 350? how do these units compare soundwise?

I have listened to it for 2 channel music and I thought it was very nice. I was considering buying it for a while but ended up going for separates. One thing, even though the Arcam has HDMI, they do not believe it utilizing them for audio so they work as an HDMI switcher for you but you can not send PCM audio to the receiver.
post #474 of 4310 Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

I, too, have an arcam (300) with Paradigm Sig 8s, C5 etc. Does anybody have any thoughts on how the 775/785 would compare or sound with this set up? I really want to add an hdmi capable amp.
post #475 of 4310 Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I broke down and finally traded in my T773 for the T775 for the HDMI. I wasn't sure if it would be worth $1,750 for HDMI inputs considering my projector already came with an HDMI switcher, but the lack of DTS-MA has been bugging me and the new Panasonic BD-30 doesn't decode it internally. Anyway, I couldn't be happier - a great piece of equipment.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #476 of 4310 Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I broke down and finally traded in my T773 for the T775 for the HDMI. Anyway, I couldn't be happier - a great piece of equipment

great! Is there a [noticeable] difference in sound-quality between the T773 and the T775?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

but the lack of DTS-MA has been bugging me and the new Panasonic BD-30 doesn't decode it internally

yeah, I'm waiting for a T175 (any day now). And while I'm very excited to get this new processor I'm not too happy that I can't use a new BD player in the manner I would like. I'll be stuck with playing CD's, SACD, DVD-A, and standard-def DVD-Movies (up-scaled to 1080p)-- until a new BD player is released with on-board decoding of DolbyTrue-HD and DTS-HD MasterAudio.
post #477 of 4310 Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Most BD players now do on board decoding of Dolby TrueHD. inc. the PS3, which is rumored to eventually get an update to do onboard decoding of DTS-MA. None do on board decoding of DTS-MA except the new, as yet unavailable, Denons. (The new Pan. outputs bitstream for both, and has no on board decoding.)
post #478 of 4310 Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Is there a [noticeable] difference in sound-quality between the T773 and the T775?

If there is, my ears can't hear it. The two units sound identical to me.
Quote:

yeah, I'm waiting for a T175 (any day now). And while I'm very excited to get this new processor I'm not too happy that I can't use a new BD player in the manner I would like. I'll be stuck with playing CD's, SACD, DVD-A, and standard-def DVD-Movies (up-scaled to 1080p)-- until a new BD player is released with on-board decoding of DolbyTrue-HD and DTS-HD MasterAudio.

It's the damn DTS-MA that's screwing everyone up. I loved my Panny BD-10 - 7 channel analog outs and decoded everything except DTS-MA. Now the BD-30 comes out at 1/2 the price but doesn't decode anything - but does send it bitstream unaltered over HDMI. So it seems the new generation high-def players keep going one step forward and two back.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #479 of 4310 Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Anyone have any experience comparing NAD to Marantz. I am waiting for the NAD 785 to arrive, but the Marantz SR8002 keeps tugging at me as well. I have Monitor Audio GS60's for my front speakers and GS10's for surround, GSLCR for center and a velodyne sub. I know this is a NAD thread but any thoughts? Thank you.
post #480 of 4310 Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM
nek

My Nad T785 will be delivered next week

The wait (10 months) is now almost over, after selling my (fantastic) Nad T163 and Power amps.

Bring it on

Ken
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page