AVS Forum banner

The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!

Tags
nad
793K views 5K replies 444 participants last post by  Miguel86 
#1 ·
See less See more
#527 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult /forum/post/12410698

Bottom line, wires and repeaters (such as the NAD) need to handle 1080/60p signals because there are plenty of source components and displays that can transmit and receive those signals. Claiming otherwise is burying your head in the sand about how hi-def video works these days -- NAD is right and everyone else is wrong.

Well, it's a good idea to be able to handle 1080p60 as it doesn't hurt. I don't know if NAD can do it or not, it's hard to tell without a 1080p60 source at home. My HD-DVD might do it, I suppose I can hook it up and try it and see if I can get it to tell me what the rate is.

#528 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult /forum/post/12410799

One other point about why simply combining fields to turn 1080/60i into 1080/30p doesn't work very well. Consider a baseball pitch. Between two 1080/60i fields, the ball will have moved about a foot. Combine the two fields into a single frame and you have an image of two balls a foot apart. Sophisticated deinterlacers such as the Reon use fancy algorithms to eliminate such motion artifacts and give you a smooth 1080/60p display.

The only reason we ever had 1080i60 was for older CRTs which don't even exist anymore. The standard should have been only 1080p30 and 60, but what can you do? 1080p24/30 is really what we're viewing. 1080p BD and HD-DVD, the video is interlaced, than de-interlaced and it should be basically flawless, as far as temporal artifacts.

#531 ·
John, I'm sorry but you are impinging your beliefs of how it SHOULD work on how things are ACTUALLY working. They are not the same. Whether or not you believe it is silly or bad engineering, the way things ACTUALLY work is how I and others here have described it. I guess you can be stubborn about it or actually learn how modern home video works. Given that you sell people home theater equipment, I would hope you go for the latter.

#532 ·
No, you're right to a point. I'm being stubborn though I am learning. I honestly didn't realize that even Sony (or Toshiba?) would be marketing driven enough to output 24 or 30 frames at 60 fields per second in progressive mode. Obviously, I want NAD gear to work with this, and I'm sure it does, at least in theory. It just makes me shake my head in disgust with the whole damned industry. Not only that we have to put up with HDMI and HDCP, but that it's so badly implemented. Personally, knowing this, I wouldn't buy any BD or HD-DVD product that doesn't allow you to chose native format playback.

#535 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/12416104

Not only that we have to put up with HDMI and HDCP, but that it's so badly implemented. Personally, knowing this, I wouldn't buy any BD or HD-DVD product that doesn't allow you to chose native format playback.

Agreed, the use of HDMI as a standard in home audio/video was a colossal blunder. It is horrible compared to using a coaxial cable(s).

Very few HD products will not output 1080p/24, in fact only the entry level HD-DVD player won't. However, there are very few displays that will handle a 1080/24 signal. It is really the display manufacturers that are lagging and not the HD players.

#536 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12416287

Agreed, the use of HDMI as a standard in home audio/video was a colossal blunder. It is horrible compared to using a coaxial cable(s).

Very few HD products will not output 1080p/24, in fact only the entry level HD-DVD player won't. However, there are very few displays that will handle a 1080/24 signal. It is really the display manufacturers that are lagging and not the HD players.

I keep forgetting to avoid the use of common sense when thinking about video. Interestingly, the people building all the BD/HD players are all TV companies. Can't some marketing guy come up with a phrase like "plays all formats natively for improved performance and fewer transmission problems"? Or does it always have to be "more is better"? Imagine someone trying to build wireless HDMI transmitters and having to carry the same data 2-2.5 times? I'd be pissed! No wonder every engineers with whom I speak goes into rant mode the moment you mention HDMI.

#537 ·
Since the topic of HDMI and cables is being discussed. I was wondering what is the overall opinion on getting new HDMI 1.3 certified cables for the NAD 785? I am expecting my 785 to come in next week and I have older HDMI cables (just basic everyday version). I would have to replace 3 of them (2 in and 1 out). It looks like to get a certified 1.3 HDMI cable (6 foot) would be about $75 per cable. I rather spend the money then deal with "cable issues" if it is more fact then fiction? Is this a 1080p issue only? I have a Pioneer elite plasma which is 768p, but does accept 1080p/24. I plan on purchasing the Samsung BD-UP5000, if it lives up to the hype. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#538 ·
No, you should not need to purchase new cables. And even if you did, it is a HELL of a lot cheaper than $75/6-foot cable to get 1.3 certification.

#540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 /forum/post/12418609

what is the overall opinion on getting new HDMI 1.3 certified cables for the NAD 785? I have a Pioneer elite plasma which is 768p, but does accept 1080p/24

I'm in the same situation. I'll be getting the T175 (any day now). I also just purchased a new Pioneer Kuro PDP-4280HD plasma, it does 768p (and accepts 1080p/24). I'm concerned about having cables capable of HDMI 1.3 domain. So I just went for a few of the new Monster M-Series HDMI cables:
http://www.monstercable.com/mseries/hdmi.asp

I got a few of the M650hd HDMI models.

#541 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/12418788

I'm in the same situation. I'll be getting the T175 (any day now). I also just purchased a new Pioneer Kuro PDP-4280HD plasma, it does 768p (and accepts 1080p/24). I'm concerned about having cables capable of HDMI 1.3 domain. So I just went for a few of the new Monster M-Series HDMI cables:

I suppose when you are investing in NAD and Pioneer the last thing we need are inferior cables. I just wish there was evidence of the need for 1.3 certified cables.

#542 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 /forum/post/12419090

I suppose when you are investing in NAD and Pioneer the last thing we need are inferior cables. I just wish there was evidence of the need for 1.3 certified cables.

yeah, I just wanted to be sure I had cables capable of passing next-generation video resolution/processing. It's a hassle (for me) to undo everything, move my racks, and big-ass plasma TV, away from the wall, to replace an HDMI cable that turns out to be technically not capable. I'd rather just get good cables and not worry about it-- that's all.

#543 ·

Quote:

I'll be getting the T175 (any day now). I also just purchased a new Pioneer Kuro PDP-4280HD plasma, it does 768p (and accepts 1080p/24)

I'm planning on getting a T175/T955 combo and a PDP-5080HD sometime next month. Needless to say, I'll be very interested in reading about your early experiences.

#544 ·

Quote:

I don't have an HDMI receiver in the middle, but I haven't had any problems with 1080p/24 between my PS3 and my Pio 5080. I'm just using Belkin cables from Sam's.

#545 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12416287

Do you believe the 1080P/24 will become a standard soon on displays? I currently have a plasma that is a 2 years old 720p/1080i that I have thought of replacing but suits my needs for now.

So if I understand all the video talk correctly, the best would be to display in native mode and not add the extra frames to make 1080p60 and just have a display that can accept and display HD disks in 1080P/24?

I can easily wait another year or so to replace my TV is that is what I should do. Now, I don't want to have to wait a year for my T175...

#546 ·
Monster HDMI cables are totally unnecessary and are EXTREMELY likely to be cheaply made Chinese HDMI cables (please read the tech article at Blue Jeans Cable) marked up 1000%. The HDMI cables Monoprice sells are 1.3 certified and cost about $12 for a 6-foot cable. Spending more than that is pointless.

#547 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 /forum/post/12419852

So if I understand all the video talk correctly, the best would be to display in native mode and not add the extra frames to make 1080p60 and just have a display that can accept and display HD disks in 1080P/24?

Yes, the best solution is to get a display that will properly display 1080p/24. Beware, because some of the current displays will accept a 24p input but do pulldown to get 60p anyway. AFAIK, the only real 1080p/24 displays are high-end Pioneer plasmas and some Sony XBR sets.

#548 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12420310

Yes, the best solution is to get a display that will properly display 1080p/24. Beware, because some of the current displays will accept a 24p input but do pulldown to get 60p anyway. AFAIK, the only real 1080p/24 displays are high-end Pioneer plasmas and some Sony XBR sets.

Yes Pioneer Elite Plasma (beginning last year with the 1140 model can display 1080p/24 properly. Also you are correct about monoprice.com, they have 6 foot HDMI 1.3 certified, category 2 HDMI cabels for approx $15. That is unbelievable! They are 24AWG and look very well made, looks like I will be getting three of them for my 785. Like WestCoastD said it is nice to have cables capable of passing next-generation video resolution/processing in place so you dont have to tear apart your system down the road.

#549 ·

Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation, I will wait maybe to early 2009 to upgrade the TV, just need to upgrade my processor and surround speakers at the moment.

#550 ·

Quote:

To add my 2 cents, all the new Pioneer Kuro plasmas, as well as some Sony LCDs (I'm less familiar with these) accept 1080p/24 and display it at 72 Hz (Pioneer) or 120 Hz (Sony). And yet the ultimate result is often less than expected, according to some of the pro reviews, with artifacts on the Pioneer and an unnaturally smooth appearance on the Sony. IMO, it's far too early in the deployment of 1080p/24 compatible displays to replace an otherwise-OK TV just to get this feature.

#551 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12420289

Monster HDMI cables are totally unnecessary and are EXTREMELY likely to be cheaply made Chinese HDMI cables

I don't want to start a Monster debate here (please don't do it), but I'm well aware their (cable) products are expensive, or over-inflated. However, quality is good (whether Chinese made or not). Damn near everything is Chinese made. I got to look at a few various model Monster M-Series cables (audio and video) cut-apart at a local dealer, all the conductor and layers were exposed, I was totally impressed with the quality materials and construction. Moreover, there are a number of other manufscturers selling HDMI (and other cable products) at equal or more than the same pricing (ie. AudioQuest, etc.,..).