Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, the firmware update didn't help with my dvd 4:3 issue over component. Haven't heard back from NAD yet. Will try tomorrow. I didn't bother updating the DSP firmware ir the iPod code.

Phil Tomaskovic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughej View Post

Very first post ever, new AVSForum member and NAD owner. I have the 785 and have also been getting intermittent pops. I've heard them while playing a standard DVD (Batman Begins) hooked up via component video and coax digital audio during a particularly loud part of the movie, as well as while watching cable box (DVR) connected via HDMI and changing some channels. In the case of the DVD I kept replaying that part and the only thing that allowed me to play through w/o the pop was disabling the Audyssey EQ, same thing with the DVR when I disable the EQ I have not gotten one pop.
I've yet to update any of the firmware and when setting up the Audyssey I used the full 8 positions varying the mic location right around the main listening area but in spots where I know I have bass peaks and nulls. Perhaps having that much diverse info to calibrate/correct during thick action scenes or changing channels causes the EQ to stutter or peak and the correction causes the amp to pop? Totally a guess but since others were having the pop issue I figured I'd join after lurking for awhile and throw in my 2 cents...I do intend to upgrade firmware and also recalibrate only my direct known listening spots (5) as opposed to throwing in the extra 3 areas in peak bass node areas.

What resolution is your dvd outputting? 480 or 1080? If you are at 1080, can you switch to 480p and see if the picture goes into widescreen properly? Check display on tv if possible to see if it receives 4:3 or 19:9. Mine won't go into 16:9 automatically.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #903 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - new 775 owner here. happy generally and the tips on here are great - had a couple of goes at audessey but gave up after bad results - may have another go after reading whats on here.

I have a question on surround modes (listening modes)

i have t515 dvd player (component & optical), topfield dvr (rgb - component inc audio), PS2 connected (analogue).

if i set the listening mode to PLII for the DVR source then switch to tuner - it stays on PLII whereas i want to switch to stereo or maybe enhanced stereo?

anyone give me any tips on how to make this happen? how make it remember the listening modes for the various sources is the question?
post #904 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

What resolution is your dvd outputting? 480 or 1080? If you are at 1080, can you switch to 480p and see if the picture goes into widescreen properly? Check display on tv if possible to see if it receives 4:3 or 19:9. Mine won't go into 16:9 automatically.

I've got a very old Pioneer Elite DVD player, no progressive anything so output is 480i @ 4:3 which is what is being received by the TV. It's the widescreen version of the movie and it's displayed as such with the black bars on top and bottom. TV is Sony KDS-50A2000 if I remember model # correctly. Not sure I'm in a position to be able to help test your scenario...?
post #905 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Actually I take that back about not being in position to help, while I can't get the settings you're looking for via the DVD player I likely can via the DVR by choosing it to output whatever you need and hook up my component cables instead of the HDMI. Lemme know exactly what you'd want in terms of output. I'm thinking you want 480p output @ 16:9 via component and then see what the TV is getting from the NAD via the HDMI...that right?
post #906 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

CES is next week, maybe we get lucky with a blu-ray or combo player that does int decoding of *all formats.

well here we are, Pioneer has announced a new Elite BluRay product:
BDP-05FD
No price or intro date yet (We will release price and date soon).

BonusView (Profile 1.1)
Internal Decoding of all audio formats (yes, even DTS-HD Master)
Wolfson Audio DACs
Center Load Tray
New Advance Video Scaler
12-Bit video output over HDMI
New Core Chipset for improved Power On, Power Off and Disc Loading.
Capacitance Touch Buttons
7.1 Channel Analog Outputs with additional CD Stereo Outputs

There are bunch of other features that I am not allowed to disclose yet...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972724

We (NAD T-Series pre-amp/receiver owners) will be really happening now. This unit could be priced under $1000.00, we'll see shortly.
LL
LL
LL
post #907 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I take that back about not being in position to help, while I can't get the settings you're looking for via the DVD player I likely can via the DVR by choosing it to output whatever you need and hook up my component cables instead of the HDMI. Lemme know exactly what you'd want in terms of output. I'm thinking you want 480p output @ 16:9 via component and then see what the TV is getting from the NAD via the HDMI...that right?

yes, basically I don't see widescreen over 480i or 480p over component unless I tell the tv to stretch it. TV says it is getting 4:3 signal. thanks!

Phil Tomaskovic
post #908 of 4310 Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got a very old Pioneer Elite DVD player, no progressive anything so output is 480i @ 4:3 which is what is being received by the TV. It's the widescreen version of the movie and it's displayed as such with the black bars on top and bottom. TV is Sony KDS-50A2000 if I remember model # correctly. Not sure I'm in a position to be able to help test your scenario...?

doesn't your player have a setting to say whether the tv is 4:3 or 16:9? I think you should still get a widescreen signal over 480i if the dvd is a widescreen disc. thanks

Phil Tomaskovic
post #909 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Have a question about doing the Audissey setup. Probably due to my room conditions, but I get a different reading almost every time I do a setup with the mike from the same location. Sometimes it thinks the speaker is out of phase, sometimes I get "unknown type" which I don't even know what it means... My sub is next to my RF speaker and the distance was computed as 16' for the RF (accurate) and 6' for the sub! May be because the sub is blocked by a couch?

Anyways, once I get a good reading from the initial/main position, I'm wondering if I really want to do a 2nd and 3rd position measurement? If I get a bad reading from the 2nd or 3rd measurement (which you can't even tell since it doesn't give any readout), how much can it screw up the final result? Do the followup measurements affect the levels and distances or are those only generated from the first measurement?

There's a link on this forum a few pages back with Q&A from someone at NAD that mentions some of these issues. The 'unknown type' message means the mic 'heard' full range sound coming out of a surround speaker. The message implies you hooked up your surround speakers to the wrong outputs on the receiver. Or maybe it's in a corner where bass became enhanced. I got same message but it went away when I moved the mic a few inches. And after you confirm the speaker are in fact wired correctly, you can ignore the phase warning. The mic is hearing some out-of-phase echoes.

The Q&A also says you should perform all 8 samplings to achieve the best results. Even if you only move the mic around a few feet each time. If you think about it like how digital music is recorded using different sampling rates... a higher sampling rate means a more accurate sound. Right?

The levels and distance measurements are made from 1st sampling.

I got better and more reliable Audyssey results with my 775 after upgrading firmware to 1.12.
post #910 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmstrong1 View Post

Hi all - new 775 owner here. happy generally and the tips on here are great - had a couple of goes at audessey but gave up after bad results - may have another go after reading whats on here.

I have a question on surround modes (listening modes)

i have t515 dvd player (component & optical), topfield dvr (rgb - component inc audio), PS2 connected (analogue).

if i set the listening mode to PLII for the DVR source then switch to tuner - it stays on PLII whereas i want to switch to stereo or maybe enhanced stereo?

anyone give me any tips on how to make this happen? how make it remember the listening modes for the various sources is the question?

You have two options:
1. Set the surround mode from the Listening Mode setup menu -- not for each source but only for types of sources. For example, you set any analog source to be stereo but 2-channel Dolby digital sources to PLII. Or any Dolby digital surround source to PLII Music. The 'Other Digital' option at the bottom of that screen takes care of non-Dolby digital sources. For example, I play music CDs on my Blu-Ray DVD player. Since it is hooked up via HDMI, that source is considered 'Other Digital'.

2. You can pin it down even further by using AV Presets. For example, if I also had a CD player hooked up via optical digital connection and wanted it to have a different listening mode from my BD player when I play music CDs, I would create a AV Preset called 'Digital Stereo' and one called 'Digital EARS'. First set up 'Other Digital' option in the Listening Mode page to Stereo. Then go back to AV Presets and save the 'Digital Stereo' preset. Then go back to Listening Mode, set 'Other Digital' option to EARS. Then go back to AV Preset page and save 'Digital EARS' using that listening mode.

Finally, go to Source Setup page and tell it which AV Preset each source should use.

Is that convoluted enough for you?
post #911 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

So far, three Blu-ray players have been announced which internally decode all formals, inc. DTS-MA. Panasonic, Pioneer, and (I think) sharp.

BTW, only 6% ofBlu-ray discs use DTS-MA.
post #912 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaxMan View Post

There's a link on this forum a few pages back with Q&A from someone at NAD that mentions some of these issues. The 'unknown type' message means the mic 'heard' full range sound coming out of a surround speaker. The message implies you hooked up your surround speakers to the wrong outputs on the receiver. Or maybe it's in a corner where bass became enhanced. I got same message but it went away when I moved the mic a few inches. And after you confirm the speaker are in fact wired correctly, you can ignore the phase warning. The mic is hearing some out-of-phase echoes.

The Q&A also says you should perform all 8 samplings to achieve the best results. Even if you only move the mic around a few feet each time. If you think about it like how digital music is recorded using different sampling rates... a higher sampling rate means a more accurate sound. Right?

The levels and distance measurements are made from 1st sampling.

I got better and more reliable Audyssey results with my 775 after upgrading firmware to 1.12.

Thanks! That helps alot. I wasn't how to determine all the sampling locations. I tried one spot in the 'L' section of the room about 4' to the left of the LF and it kept giving me an "ambient noise" error. I guess the mic was too close cause there wasn't any other noise.

Not sure why NAD doesn't put this type of info in the manual or a separate leaflet. Although not sure if any receiver brand with Audissey does...

Phil Tomaskovic
post #913 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks! That helps alot. I wasn't how to determine all the sampling locations. I tried one spot in the 'L' section of the room about 4' to the left of the LF and it kept giving me an "ambient noise" error. I guess the mic was too close cause there wasn't any other noise.

Not sure why NAD doesn't put this type of info in the manual or a separate leaflet. Although not sure if any receiver brand with Audissey does...

One other quick tip I found on the Audyssey forum that seemed to help is to make sure you have approximately 20 seconds of complete quiet before hitting the start button. I found this to be a problem I was having (or at least I think I was having) because after I did this I did not have any more errors.
post #914 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

One other quick tip I found on the Audyssey forum that seemed to help is to make sure you have approximately 20 seconds of complete quiet before hitting the start button. I found this to be a problem I was having (or at least I think I was having) because after I did this I did not have any more errors.

Thanks! I have to shut off all the power to my aquarium so that the fans (hot MH lighting) and water circulation sounds don't affect it. Then I have to keep the dog from barking everytime the Audissey sounds start

Phil Tomaskovic
post #915 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 03:18 PM

thanks mr taxman

yes i worked out how to save the presets - its not very clear in the manual that when you go into the a/v presets menu it is saving all the settings in the current configuration.

however now when you switch between say source 2 (dvd) and src 3 (dvr) it switches src 3 to enhanced when the preset is set to PLII - its only when you go to tuner then back to src 3 that it switches correctly - maybe it is something to do with the "other digital" setting ?

well i'm off to try the audessey setup again

HANG ON .. i just checked my firmware and MCU is 1.08 .. Is alliman's link for worldwide and is it for the 775 as well? should i update?

cheers
ken
post #916 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:

doesn't your player have a setting to say whether the tv is 4:3 or 16:9? I think you should still get a widescreen signal over 480i if the dvd is a widescreen disc. thanks

Well the DVD player has a wide output setting which is what I choose if I have a 16:9 display, but my understanding of that is that it isn't changing the signal from 4:3 to 16:9 but rather simply "pre-stretching" the 4:3 signal to better fit the 16:9 display since there is extra space...thereby decreasing the size of the black bars. As you've said, regardless of what ouput mode I select on the DVD player I do always get the signal on my TV as 4:3. I choose full as the display setting rather than normal which would preserve the original signal format as 4:3.
I also played with the output and display settings of both. If I use letterbox or pan&scan on DVD player, and full on the TV, the people look stretched. If I change display to normal the people look right but now I've got black bars on the sides too. If I choose wide on the DVD player and normal on the TV the people look extra skinny, but choosing full they look normal with smaller black bars on top. So at least for my DVD player, the settings don't seem to change the signal from 4:3 to 16:9 but rather just stretch it or not to better fit whatever the display size?
I'll also play with the DVR and change output to component to NAD from HDMI since I know with HDMI to NAD to TV I do get 16:9 setting displayed on TV. If what you fear is happening is true then my switching to component should mean that if I adjust from 1080 to 480 the 16:9 display on TV turns to say 4:3 on the same signal even if my DVR is set to 480 @ 16:9.
post #917 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the DVD player has a wide output setting which is what I choose if I have a 16:9 display, but my understanding of that is that it isn't changing the signal from 4:3 to 16:9 but rather simply "pre-stretching" the 4:3 signal to better fit the 16:9 display since there is extra space...thereby decreasing the size of the black bars. As you've said, regardless of what ouput mode I select on the DVD player I do always get the signal on my TV as 4:3. I choose full as the display setting rather than normal which would preserve the original signal format as 4:3.
I also played with the output and display settings of both. If I use letterbox or pan&scan on DVD player, and full on the TV, the people look stretched. If I change display to normal the people look right but now I've got black bars on the sides too. If I choose wide on the DVD player and normal on the TV the people look extra skinny, but choosing full they look normal with smaller black bars on top. So at least for my DVD player, the settings don't seem to change the signal from 4:3 to 16:9 but rather just stretch it or not to better fit whatever the display size?
I'll also play with the DVR and change output to component to NAD from HDMI since I know with HDMI to NAD to TV I do get 16:9 setting displayed on TV. If what you fear is happening is true then my switching to component should mean that if I adjust from 1080 to 480 the 16:9 display on TV turns to say 4:3 on the same signal even if my DVR is set to 480 @ 16:9.

Thanks. appreciate your help. I called NAD support today and left a message with the tech. See if I hear back tomorrow or maybe call before I leave for work in case he wants me to check anything else on the system in realtime.

Funny about your dvd settings... How old is it? What if you play a dvd that isn't a widescreen disc? Do you have to change the setting so it isn't stretched and look funny?

I think the 785 is receiving the picture correctly from the dvd since putting the tv in full mode manually gives a proper widescreen image. I think it's just the bit that the 785 is not outputting which the tv detects that causes it to go into full display (vs normal) automatically.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #918 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

well here we are, Pioneer has announced a new Elite BluRay product:
BDP-05FD
No price or intro date yet (We will release price and date soon).

BonusView (Profile 1.1)
Internal Decoding of all audio formats (yes, even DTS-HD Master)
Wolfson Audio DACs
Center Load Tray
New Advance Video Scaler
12-Bit video output over HDMI
New Core Chipset for improved Power On, Power Off and Disc Loading.
Capacitance Touch Buttons
7.1 Channel Analog Outputs with additional CD Stereo Outputs

There are bunch of other features that I am not allowed to disclose yet...

We (NAD T-Series pre-amp/receiver owners) will be really happening now. This unit could be priced under $1000.00, we'll see shortly.

Where's the Ethernet port on this player? Doesn't Profile 1.1 say there should be an Ethernet port?
post #919 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:

HANG ON .. i just checked my firmware and MCU is 1.08 .. Is alliman's link for worldwide and is it for the 775 as well? should i update?

I know alimentall's link is for USA, but not sure if the same for the rest of the world. It is for the T775/785 and T175. Knowing the problems prior to 1.10, I would update, but there is also the common sense thing to not fix if there isn't a problem. I flashed to 1.12, now 1.13 is available, but I have no problems currently, so don't see the point in flashing again, especially because I would have to set up the whole receiver all over again including Audyssey.
post #920 of 4310 Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post

Where's the Ethernet port on this player? Doesn't Profile 1.1 say there should be an Ethernet port?

funny you ask. The last I checked that thread they're claiming, apparently, that this model may not include an etherNET port. There are also claims that this model (BDP-05FD) may not pass the decoded output as LPCM over HDMI. So you may want to check out the thread for yourself:

Moreover there is a really interesting link (from the UK) that matrices all the popular brand/model BD players in terms of their specs/functionality:
http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html
post #921 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:

The upgrade is for 755/765/775/785 and 175. Although for 755 only (whatever that is) this 1.13 release only contains v1.12. No idea on differences between models in different countries. Only Alimentall can answer that.

Given the dramatic difference 1.12 made over my 1.06, I would suggest you upgrade without a doubt. I plan on applying the 1.13 in next few days. I'm glad to see NAD putting out monthly updates and they're very easy to apply, but it sure is a big pain when it wipes out all of your saved settings, presets, Audyssey, etc.
post #922 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And I can't even answer that (yet)

Well, actually, it probably is only going to come down to language and video type, I should think, so if you use NTSC and are comfortable with English, then it should probably be okay. I hope. Maybe.

John
post #923 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=jnc1;11895169]NAD is apparently not alone in this little SNAFU. While looking for information about SACD for the PS3, I found the PS3 SACD FAQ and it has one particular question regarding a problem hearing multichannel SACD only in stereo...here is the response:

to all the new questions about the NAD's sound quality -- I have a t775 and these issues aside, I am extremely impressed with its sound quality. It is head and shoulders above other receivers that I auditioned (new onkyo's--including integra, yamaha, denon).

Always interesting to read notes like this. - The NAD is "head and shoulders" above all the other AVRs auditioned. Meaning, of course, that the audio was so superior that there was simply no question as to the NAD's dramatic superiority. Of course, we don't know which model of these other AVRs you listened to, or how, exactly, you auditioned them.

What is the basis for your conclusion? Assuming the other AVRs were driving speakers that were were compatible with the particular AVR amps, did you by any chance conduct listening tests, WITH VOLUMES LEVEL-MATCHED TO WITHIN .1 dB, listening to the same material, on the same system, with the same speakers, in the same room, during the same listening session? Did you by any chance compare these AVRs in some sort of blind listening session (or did you know exactly which unit was playing at any given time)? If not, and particularly if the components were not LEVEL MATCHED TO WITHIN .1 dB, then your conclusions are questionable to say the least. (On the othe hand, if you did follow basic listening methodologies such as these, I certainly woudn't question your conclusions.)

I post this note because of the fact that dogmatic, opinionated statements such as yours tend to become circulated and evenually accepted as dogma, despite the lack of any substantive basis whatsoever for the conclusions reached. Opinions based on sighted listening "auditions" are known to be highly suseptable to the placebo effect and are often mysteriously altered when repeated under controlled conditions.

Jim
post #924 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Can we do the 1.13 update without zapping all of the stored settings?
post #925 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it will save your settings *if* you save them as a preset. I think. I haven't tried it myself yet, but will be updating a few people this weekend.

John
post #926 of 4310 Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I think it will save your settings *if* you save them as a preset. I think. I haven't tried it myself yet, but will be updating a few people this weekend.

WHich do you mean, the Audissey or anything associated with an A/V Preset? I think you still have to at least redo your source settings and radio presets. I didn't see anything saved after I updated with your 1.13 files. I didn't rename any of the AV Presets. Maybe if you rename one, you can see if the new name is still there. I did see my 1 FM preset still there until I did reset mentioned in the last step. I guess it depends whether that last reset is really required with the update. The purpose of a reset is to be able to clear all your settings if you want to so if it's required then there's probably no way around it. They need to provide some type of "soft reset" that will re-init the system without losing the stored parameters. If you have a good relationship with them, maybe you can provide that as a suggestion?

PS, on the instructions, it mentioned that after finished installing the firmware and the receiver goes in standby, you were supposed to turn it on from the front panel and then do a reset. Well, I couldn't turn it on from the front, just stayed in standby. I had to switch the rear power off and on and then power on from the front in order to do the reset.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #927 of 4310 Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:

And I can't even answer that (yet)

Well, actually, it probably is only going to come down to language and video type, I should think, so if you use NTSC and are comfortable with English, then it should probably be okay. I hope. Maybe.

Hi John,

I owned a T776 some weeks ago. As I live in Germany I don't use NTSC. The language is no problem. Do you have the possibility to find out, if the update is also O.K. for Germany?
I hope, that I don't bother you with such kind of question.

Michael
post #928 of 4310 Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Considering that the last step in the firmware update process is to perform a factory reset, absolutely no settings can be saved. Wiped out all of my presets, source settings, and Audyssey.
post #929 of 4310 Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIME View Post

Hi John,

I owned a T776 some weeks ago. As I live in Germany I don't use NTSC. The language is no problem. Do you have the possibility to find out, if the update is also O.K. for Germany?
I hope, that I don't bother you with such kind of question.

I'm going to say "no". You should contact a German dealer to get you the appropriate firmware. Now, the language/video *could* be stored elsewhere and not affected, but I'd prefer to let that to the local dealer to know. I start asking questions about Germany and I'm going to get hit up with "uhhhh, what are you doing?!?"

John
post #930 of 4310 Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I'm going to say "no". You should contact a German dealer to get you the appropriate firmware. Now, the language/video *could* be stored elsewhere and not affected, but I'd prefer to let that to the local dealer to know. I start asking questions about Germany and I'm going to get hit up with "uhhhh, what are you doing?!?"

John, Can you tell me if the firmware upgrade (1.13) will have any problems if I am using a computer with Vista as the operating system?

I was also wondering if I do not keep up with the firmware upgrades, is there going to be a time when I may try to upgrade but I wont be able to because I am 4-5 versions behind? I currently have version 1.10 on my 785 and I am not sure what benefit I will get out of the 1.13 upgrade? Thanks.

Scott
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page