2Likes

post #1081 of 4310 Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post

Anyone here using any of the Zones in their NAD receivers? Anyone figure out the proper way to set them up - the manual is kinda lacking/unclear. I tried posting this same question in the dedicated T175 thread but no response there.

I'm using the "surround back" amp to power speakers in Zone 2, anything in particular you wanted to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4310 Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone who's applied the 1.13 firmware update provided in this thread help confirm something for me?

If you cycle the tuner section of your unit, it should toggle between FM, AM and XM. Since I've done the update, XM was replaced by DAB european digital radio. Not that it really matters, but the AM section too was changed to cycle in 9khz steps, which is also a European standard. I'm curious if this is just my unit, or others also see the same results. I've submitted the info to NAD, but not heard anything.
post #1083 of 4310 Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_N View Post

Can anyone who's applied the 1.13 firmware update provided in this thread help confirm something for me?

If you cycle the tuner section of your unit, it should toggle between FM, AM and XM. Since I've done the update, XM was replaced by DAB european digital radio. Not that it really matters, but the AM section too was changed to cycle in 9khz steps, which is also a European standard. I'm curious if this is just my unit, or others also see the same results. I've submitted the info to NAD, but not heard anything.

When you did the power cycle, did you use the Source with the arrow facing left or Source with the arrow facing right? For the US use the Source with the arrow facing left. This is the US reset function. If you used the Source with the arrow facing right, then you chose the European reset.
post #1084 of 4310 Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Many thanks Leo. I did the reset with the left source and XM came back.
post #1085 of 4310 Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post

Yes, I am seeing a similar issue. I have the T785 with version 1.10 firmware. I am running component output from my cable box (SA Explorer) into the NAD and component output from the NAD to my monitor (panasonic plasma).

I did not have this problem with my previous Denon gear (which died). So, I know it is an issue with the NAD. It appears to happen whenever the "white" content of the picture is particularly high. I have seen the image "flash" out and then restore itself on some material.

I have yet to talk with NAD about this, but, have initiated the conversation. Sorry to hear the latest update did not solve the issue. While I find this a pain. I am hopeful it can be cured via a software/firmware update.

Now if we can only figure out how to fix the issues with the sensor for the remote. That is the most irritating problem I have with the gear. Love the sound though!!! No strain, no grain!

jk

Running video through HDMI in/out seems to resolve the component in/out picture problems. However, now I can't seem to hold a 1080p signal. If I set XBox Elite to 1080p, picture breaks up. If I set it to 1080i, perfectly stable.

I've spent some time talking, emailing, and photographing the component issue. In all fairness, NAD's representative has been super. However, it doesn't change the fact that the video section of this receiver just does not work properly. I must say, I'm pretty disappointed at this point and I have no expectation of a quick fix.
post #1086 of 4310 Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupp View Post

I'm using the "surround back" amp to power speakers in Zone 2, anything in particular you wanted to know?

I'm trying to use the official Zone 2 setup to relay audio/video signal to my 2nd room and have yet to figure out the proper setup - manual is rather lacking. I'm using Zone 4 (audio only) to send a audio signal to my GamePod chair and that works fine. Just problems with getting Zone 2 up and running. Anyone who has gotten video/audio running to Zone 2 feel free to chime in. Thanks.
post #1087 of 4310 Old 02-03-2008, 04:08 AM

Hi all -just a quick tip .. the other day i noticed i could get nothing but stereo or analogue bypass as the dsp modes ?) strange i thought.

Figured it out today.. someone had turned on the b speakers!

So it looks like when you have B speakers turned on you lose all dsp modes

Ken
post #1088 of 4310 Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post

I'm trying to use the official Zone 2 setup to relay audio/video signal to my 2nd room and have yet to figure out the proper setup - manual is rather lacking. I'm using Zone 4 (audio only) to send a audio signal to my GamePod chair and that works fine. Just problems with getting Zone 2 up and running. Anyone who has gotten video/audio running to Zone 2 feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Follow up (for anyone that cares), I ran a set of analog a/v cables from the sat receiver to an open set of inputs on the T175, ran some a/v cables from Zone 2 output to the gym room display. I then defined and open source on the T175 using the assigned input for the extra a/v cables from the Sat receiver and now I have a video signal in Zone 2 location. Don't know if this is the correct way, but we still have a call into NAD tech support. For now all things are running.
post #1089 of 4310 Old 02-03-2008, 07:10 AM

I've had the 775 for several weeks now (no complaints, until now) and finally got around to using Audyssey. Besides the finicky "check phase" which seems to move to different speakers each time I try it, I got the much more serious issue of the loud popping each time I switch sources or channels. I tried coax/optical for all audio which had no impact. I haven't tried video via component only (no hdmi at all), but I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with hdmi. The eventual solution was to just reset the unit and do manual speaker configuration. Any word on a fix here? (I already have 1.13)
post #1090 of 4310 Old 02-03-2008, 12:00 PM

I too have owned a T775 for a little over a week now, and it was performing wonderfully until I decided to set up Audyssey. Detected fronts and speakers, then when it was time to detect the surround I got a loud pop, the receiver went dead, and it could not be revived. The dealer's suggestion is that it is a faulty audio board and firmware version, and both will need to be upgraded. Looks like a taxi trip to the NYC service center will be in order. The day of the Superbowl party, too.

Keeping the faith, just.
post #1091 of 4310 Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1K View Post

Hi folks.

I own a T175 and have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to get answered on the thread dedicated to it, so I thought I'd ask here since I believe the menu/set-up are close. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Has anyone figured out how to mute the main speakers when you use the front headphone jack?

2) Has anyone figured out how to change the video output that it uses for a particular source? I may be missing something really, really obvious, but I can't figure out how to do it in the set-up menu. For all of my video sources except one I need to use the HDMI out. However, for that other one I need to use Component out (this is due to a Wii design quirk). I can't figure out how to tell the T175 to do that.

Thanks for the help,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

don't know about #1, i HAVE A 785. Does the 175 have A & B speaker selction buttons? If so just turn off both of them. For #2, doesn't it just always send to all video outs, so you just have to switch the tv to which its corresponding video input you want.

Thanks so much for responding, Phil. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, there's no speaker selection buttons on the T175 so that doesn't work. As for always sending to all the video outs, I haven't experienced that with the T175. Changing the TV to the corresponding video input didn't do a thing...

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Regards,

Peter
post #1092 of 4310 Old 02-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoo View Post

I've had the 775 for several weeks now (no complaints, until now) and finally got around to using Audyssey. Besides the finicky "check phase" which seems to move to different speakers each time I try it, I got the much more serious issue of the loud popping each time I switch sources or channels. I tried coax/optical for all audio which had no impact. I haven't tried video via component only (no hdmi at all), but I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with hdmi. The eventual solution was to just reset the unit and do manual speaker configuration. Any word on a fix here? (I already have 1.13)

I've been working on this with my dealer and NAD, they know of the issue but are having trouble recreating it in their tests when working on a fix. As someone said in earlier post, I'd fw as much info as possible to your dealer so that they can fw on to NAD so they can get it narrowed down more quickly for a fix. For my 785, I get the pop from my sub via DVD when Audyssey is on and I've adjusted the speaker setup away from the Audyssey values (I didn't agree with large setting for my fronts/center). When I reset to Audyssey values I do not get the pop. Also interesting to see when Audyssey is on and values are set away from it's defined values that there is a red square to the right of the word Audyssey on the front display, when set to the Audyssey defaults and on there is a small green square to the left of the word...almost as if it's trying to tell us it isn't set up properly.
The other much smaller pop/click I was getting via cable DVR box was resolved for me when changing from HDMI to component video and coax dig audio and having speaker levels set to my preference vs the Audyssey default values - regardless of whether Audyssey was off or on. So I have 2 popping issues, one which to me seems severe and is Audyssey related and the other which to me is minor and IMO related to HDMI and the broadcast from DVR as opposed to the 785 or Audyssey. I had the small click when changing channels before the NAD changeover, esp when watching NBC for some reason (Heroes was esp the worst). Will be interesting to see going fw if I hear that click anymore after having switched away from HDMI - which consequently had no advantage other than one connection vs 2 since max output is dolby digital and 1080i...so far though, so good.
post #1093 of 4310 Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, on the T175/T775/T785, because the component video converts to HDMI, you can't run those circuits in parallel, like you can on the m15/T765. IOW, you can't run component/HDMI off the same machine to two different TVs, nor can you use component video as a source with HDMI audio, and, because of HDCP restrictions, you generally can't output HDMI over component, though sometimes it should work.

John
post #1094 of 4310 Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

BTW, on the T175/T775/T785, because the component video converts to HDMI, you can't run those circuits in parallel, like you can on the m15/T765. IOW, you can't run component/HDMI off the same machine to two different TVs, nor can you use component video as a source with HDMI audio, and, because of HDCP restrictions, you generally can't output HDMI over component, though sometimes it should work.

Do you really mean that you can't get 2 different sources output to 2 different tv's? I assume you can watch the same src on 2 tvs over comp & hdmi? I have component and hdmi both connected to the same tv (basically to test the widescreen problem that I had to see whether it was happening on both outputs) and both work when selected on the tv; I can't see both at the same time on my tv (Sony with twinview can only see HD in the left window). I supposed the receiver could turn off the hdmi output if it doesn't see a handshake from the tv when the tv is not on the hdmi input?

There's no way to say which video output you want associated with a src, so all the video outs have to show the same output. You can't tell zone2 which video output to select. So having multiple zones with different srcs selected is strictly an audio use.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #1095 of 4310 Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is anyone bi-amping with either the T775 or the T785? If so, do you need an external crossover or is the capability in the receiver?

Be seeing you!
post #1096 of 4310 Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Is anyone bi-amping with either the T775 or the T785? If so, do you need an external crossover or is the capability in the receiver?

I just did it with my B&W 703s and 785. Just set the the menu to use the rear surrounds jacks in bi-amp mode.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #1097 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"Just set the the menu to use the rear surrounds jacks in bi-amp mode."

I believe that's biwiring; true biamping uses electronic XO's.

Noah
post #1098 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"Just set the the menu to use the rear surrounds jacks in bi-amp mode."

I believe that's biwiring; true biamping uses electronic XO's.

I think you are right Noah, but if you use separate amps to drive each speaker section, its biamping cause you are using two amp channels for each speaker, but absent an electronic crossover, you lose much/most of the advantage of the second amp. Some speakers seem to benefit more from this passive biamping than others. I heard a set of B&W 803s in a showroom where the dealer went from stereo to biamplification with the same kind of amps and the improvement in sound quality was quite striking.
post #1099 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I suppose what I am considering would be called bi-wiring, but I want to use 2 amps for each front speaker. My front speakers (Magnepan 1.6QR's) have separate inputs for the low and high panel sections, but I can't eliminate the internal crossover components without taking them apart.

So if any of you have used the T775 or T785 for bi-wiring to speakers, how did it turn out? I'm considering replacing my Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver with one of these and the bi-wiring/bi-amping capabilities are very attractive.

I'm also a little concerned about amplifier capabilities to drive what are essentially six 4 ohm loads if I do that. I also have a pair of Magnepan MMG's that I stored after replacing them with the 1.6QR's and want to use them for the rears when I get my media room. Would these receivers have a problem driving them all?

Be seeing you!
post #1100 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's really passive bi-amping, which is different from bi-wiring or active bi-amping.

John
post #1101 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone here able to get DVD-A over HDMI in a 7.1 system? If so, does the unit convert 5.1 PCM to 7.1 with PLIIx or anything? Haven't been able to try that yet as I am doing 5.1 at the moment.

John
post #1102 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

It's really passive bi-amping, which is different from bi-wiring or active bi-amping.

That makes sense. I'm hoping that by doing that I can drive the front speakers a bit harder and perhaps even have some control over the relative power fed to each panel section by adjusting the "balance" between the 2 amps.

I assume that I will still have assignable power amplification for the 2 rears and a center channel on the T775 or T785. Is that correct?

Be seeing you!
post #1103 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM

I am not sure if this is on the same topic of biamping, but I am interested in the idea of connecting a NAD amp (like the T975) to my T785 but I am not sure just how much benefit I will get out of it. I have never had seperates (pre/pro) and that is why I purchased the 785 rather then the 175/975 combo. However, I am always looking to improve my sound if possible and was wondering if anyone has hooked up a seperate amp to the T785? If not any opinions? I have Monitor Audio GS speakers and I know they could handle more power. Thanks for any advice.
post #1104 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

was wondering if anyone has hooked up a seperate amp to the T785?

I would imagine the T785 pre-amp section is exactly the same as the T175, so they should share the exact same sound "signature". Having said that I would recommend an amp with minimum 200W per/chan for the GS-60's, I think it really provides for better control and articulation (more current). That's why I went for a Parasound Halo A51.
post #1105 of 4310 Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I would imagine the T785 pre-amp section is exactly the same as the T175, so they should share the exact same sound "signature". Having said that I would recommend an amp with minimum 200W per/chan for the GS-60's, I think it really provides for better control and articulation (more current). That's why I went for a Parasound Halo A51.

Its funny that you mention Parasound. I was actually debating on getting the Parasound 7100/5250 combo at one time. I agree with you in the fact that I think the GS60's would really shine with more watts per channel. I really like the look and specs of the 5250, so maybe that will be the way for me to go. Although I sure like that Halo A51 as well. However, since I cannot take advantage of the balanced input jacks with the NAD I was leaning to towards the 5250.

Of course there is always the NAD M25 as well. So many choices.
post #1106 of 4310 Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

since I cannot take advantage of the balanced input jacks with the NAD I was leaning to towards the 5250

definitely good power

Quote:

Of course there is always the NAD M25 as well

a very nice sounding amp

Can't go wrong with either............
post #1107 of 4310 Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunderscc View Post

Running video through HDMI in/out seems to resolve the component in/out picture problems. However, now I can't seem to hold a 1080p signal. If I set XBox Elite to 1080p, picture breaks up. If I set it to 1080i, perfectly stable.

I've spent some time talking, emailing, and photographing the component issue. In all fairness, NAD's representative has been super. However, it doesn't change the fact that the video section of this receiver just does not work properly. I must say, I'm pretty disappointed at this point and I have no expectation of a quick fix.

My problem is that I do not have an HDMI-capable monitor. The best I can do is run HDMI from the cable box into the receiver and then component to the monitor. I was under the impression that the HDMI spec did not support this type of setup. I REALLY need to resolve this as it is quite annoying!

I might still give it a try and see what happens. I have some HDMI cables on order.

jk

-- jdkJake
post #1108 of 4310 Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My problem is that I do not have an HDMI-capable monitor. The best I can do is run HDMI from the cable box into the receiver and then component to the monitor. I was under the impression that the HDMI spec did not support this type of setup. I REALLY need to resolve this as it is quite annoying!

I might still give it a try and see what happens. I have some HDMI cables on order.

jk

I think I tried this. You can't take an HDMI input and then view it over the component output. Basically, it sees this as a way of getting around the copy protection built into hdmi and you get an error on the screen when viewed over component. Not sure if it is dependent on the source material like a dvd vs cable.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #1109 of 4310 Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried this. However, I was able to duplicate on command the component video problems using an XBox 360 and the HDDVD add-on. NAD is aware of this and they can now duplicate the problem. So, they're specifically aware of and working on the component video issue.

I can't wait to replace HDMI cables everywhere there's no 1080p signal--basically everything except XBox 360 and PS3.

As for the issues I now have with passing 1080p without issue through the T785, I can duplicate that problem on command and have provided details to NAD.

Hopefully, these video issues will be resolvable via firmware updates. Currently, 1.14 beta hasn't fixed them.
post #1110 of 4310 Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here tried running four or six 4-ohm speakers on a T775 or T785? Will the receiver handle that kind of load? I plan to biamp / bi-wire two Magnepan 1.6QR's for the front speakers and use Magnepan MMG's for the rears. I am also considering a Magnepan center speaker, which would make it seven 4-ohm speakers.

Be seeing you!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page