Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadLover View Post

Man after coming back to this thread after more than half a year, still the 1080p problems arent solved. Especially with the PS3.

This really makes me think about getting the onkyo 906, while I know the NAD will sound better. I'm only using stereo, I dont do 5.1

With the last firmware upgrade, I am not having any problems with 1080p on my T775. I don't own a PS3, though. Remember that for every report of a problem, there are probably many others who are not having problems...and hence, do not post. For me, sound trumps all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've watched about 80-100 BD's so far on my NAD t785 with firmware 1.16 @ 1080p on my 151FD pdp and I have yet to have a single issue other than a handshake error when I powered up the unit once that was remedied quickly when I did a simple power cycle on the t785. What 1080p problems are we supposed to be having? If you're talking about the little ticks and clicks once in awhile, yes that is present but other than that, for me it has been grins from ear to ear every time I watch a BD with the ps3.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post

If you're talking about the little ticks and clicks once in awhile, yes that is present but other than that, for me it has been grins from ear to ear every time I watch a BD with the ps3.

How bad is the little ticks and clicks with the PS3. Thinking about getting a 775 and already have a PS3. How often and when does it occur?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM

it's not bad @ all, I just lower the volume significantly during the times it'll happen because it's predictable. It's usually when you first start a movie or when you turn on the ps3....u know, when it keeps cutting the hdmi signal in and out or switching resolution. How often does it happen? I'd say fairly rarely but it does happen and if you have ur volume on too loud, u'll get sound clicks and once in awhile good boom on the sub. To me, this is far from being a severe problem....too many receivers out there have this issue or far worse issues to deal with.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM

thanks sensui!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM

I've read through and cannot see this answered anywhere:

What frequency range does the enhanced bass mode copy to the subwoofer?

The mode is only available when a pair is set as large (full range). There does not seem to be any adjustment available when this mode is enabled and there does not seem to be any indication in the manual of where the cutoff lies.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post

it's not bad @ all, u'll get sound clicks and once in awhile good boom on the sub. To me, this is far from being a severe problem....too many receivers out there have this issue or far worse issues to deal with.

So you get an expensive receiver for audio, and it makes 'clicks' on bassbooms and other occassion, and you dont think that is a 'severe' problem?

It all depends on what you expect! I would expect this from a 200$ receiver, not a 1200$ one, but that is just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM

From the other problems I see on other threads of other receivers, I don't see this as a deal breaker. Is there a perfect receiver out there free of flaws? If so I have not heard it or hear people mentioning such a unit. If these little clicks and booms (that come on once in a blue moon) is the only thing I have to worry about armed with great power output, clean sound, nice warm sq when auditioning cds....then yes I don't think it's a severe problem and it's worth the money for my usage. That's how I feel anyway, I'm type A personality and I'm very anal about all things but the benefits of this receiver greatly outweighs the small insignificant annoyances imo.

P.S. Like I mentioned earlier, it's very predictable when it happens, it's when the hdmi signal cuts in and out or when resolution changes back and forth....so I just have my volume on low during these stages and crank it up when the movie starts. I've never heard anything out of the ordinary during playback of movies.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM

I have beeen able to mostly eliminate the "booms" during HDMI switching and resolution switching be doing an HDMI reset.

Mostly, the problem occurs with a PS3. My HDTV is a Sony XBR4. Just cut power to everything (unplug from wall), unplug every HDMI cable, wait 15 minutes or so, then re-plug and power back up. Usually it fixes the problem. If I do any further swapping of HDMI cables, the problem usually comes back until I do another full reset.

Also, some ports on the T775/T785 seem to be less susceptible to it than others. My PS3 likes Port 1 on my T775 best.

This all sounds kind of silly and doesn't make much sense. I think it's all just a slight timing issue affected by impedance stackup in all the cables and connections. The "right" stackup allows the NAD to switch correctly and keep the sound muted until the switching is completed.

I also agree that even with these residual issues, the NAD is still an excellent choice. I went against my better judgement and bought a Sony receiver first figuring it would integrate better with the Sony HDTV and sources (I had a Sony standalone Blu-ray before the PS3), but it was a major disappointment. No other receiver has an Audyssey room correction implementation that sounds as good as NAD's, and the 100% assignable input configuration with full editing on source names is also superior to anything else I've seen.

HK's latest receivers have had a LOT of trouble. Onkyo and Integra sound harsh to me and run way too hot. Yamaha is OK but sounds a little less harsh, but still runs pretty hot. Sony is overpriced and ladened with useless features. Denon is about the best next to NAD, but still very "Japanese" with far too many extra features I won't use.

Perhaps when Arcam and other higher-mid-level companies get their HDMI receivers out there will be a better option than NAD, but for now I haven't seen it.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 AM

I have another question about firmware. The T175 is gaining the ability to decode TrueHD and DTS MA via a new card. Does anyone know if the T775 will be able to upgraded to decode these formats?

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New cards for the receivers are supposed to ship in January of 09. Two Audio options one is $400 the other is $600 the diff is in the Audessy implementation. Two Video options one $400 the other $950. The diff is in one just does switching the other is a total Video solution. NAD press release link on upgrades.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/527318.html

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Another comment from having lived with my T785 for a while: the fan noise is diabolical. Quite amazing that NAD would release such a noisy product.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laager View Post

Another comment from having lived with my T785 for a while: the fan noise is diabolical. Quite amazing that NAD would release such a noisy product.

I don't hear my 785 at all and it is very cool to the touch. However mine sits on top of the audio cabinet, so it has nothing to block it from any side. Is yours enclosed in a rack? Maybe that causes the fan to kick in from heat build up?

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

I have beeen able to mostly eliminate the "booms" during HDMI switching and resolution switching be doing an HDMI reset.

Mostly, the problem occurs with a PS3. My HDTV is a Sony XBR4. Just cut power to everything (unplug from wall), unplug every HDMI cable, wait 15 minutes or so, then re-plug and power back up. Usually it fixes the problem. If I do any further swapping of HDMI cables, the problem usually comes back until I do another full reset.

Also, some ports on the T775/T785 seem to be less susceptible to it than others. My PS3 likes Port 1 on my T775 best.

This all sounds kind of silly and doesn't make much sense. I think it's all just a slight timing issue affected by impedance stackup in all the cables and connections. The "right" stackup allows the NAD to switch correctly and keep the sound muted until the switching is completed.

I also agree that even with these residual issues, the NAD is still an excellent choice. I went against my better judgement and bought a Sony receiver first figuring it would integrate better with the Sony HDTV and sources (I had a Sony standalone Blu-ray before the PS3), but it was a major disappointment. No other receiver has an Audyssey room correction implementation that sounds as good as NAD's, and the 100% assignable input configuration with full editing on source names is also superior to anything else I've seen.

HK's latest receivers have had a LOT of trouble. Onkyo and Integra sound harsh to me and run way too hot. Yamaha is OK but sounds a little less harsh, but still runs pretty hot. Sony is overpriced and ladened with useless features. Denon is about the best next to NAD, but still very "Japanese" with far too many extra features I won't use.

Perhaps when Arcam and other higher-mid-level companies get their HDMI receivers out there will be a better option than NAD, but for now I haven't seen it.

Hey NAD Paradigm;
Thanks for the suggestion, but it happens so rarely on my setup currently right now I would be reluctant to even "fix" the issue since I don't see it being broke. Literally if I had to guess, I'd say it happens once out of every 20 movies I watch. And I agree completely about your statements about the other brands....in general, too many features that are useless and not enough SQ to please the ears. It was a close run between getting a 5308/4308 denon receiver and after hearing the NAD, to me it was the better choice for the $$.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laager View Post

I've watched movies back to back (4 hr sitting running BD input from ps3 or DVD input from the oppo 983h) driving my psb platinum setup and I have yet to hear the fans from the t785. In fact, I couldn't even notice it when I walked by it (about 2-3 feet) during breaks to get a drink or go to the bathroom. At that distance however (3 feet away), I can hear the nice buzzing from my 151fd pdp.....thank god it's not audible once I take a couple steps back. Mine is sitting on my entertainment rack with open circulation.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM

I just received my T775 today and was eager to hook it up. I have a PS3 with a Mits 1080P DLP. All is hooked up with HDMI and for some reason I cant get the 775 to lock on to 1080P games and the PS3 Menu screen. I have audio via HDMI but with the 1080P menu Screen it just flickers on and off. I stuck in a game and muddled my way through the flickering screen to start the game and what do you know it started with video but it's resolution is 720P also I stuck in a Blu-Ray Movie and it worked fine (other the the clicks and pop's) so I'm not sure what's going on here. Anyone have a clue? Oh Yeah and I have 1.16 firmware.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM

The fans on my T775 are on all the time, and keep the heat down in an enclosed but ventilated cabinet. I usually leave the glass door on the cabinet open a little bit when running it, just to be safe. The fan noise is a constant whirr, similar to a computer, but not as loud as on many computers. I have only noticed the single constant speed.

My PS3's fan is louder when it comes on. As long as the movie volume is up at preferred listening levels, the fans in both components aren't a problem. At night when I'm trying not to wake the kid up and the volume is low, I can hear them during quiet passages.

I was shocked at how hot most other AVR's run. There is no way I would buy one and put it in my cabinet without an outboard fan of some sort.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

The fans on my T775 are on all the time, and keep the heat down in an enclosed but ventilated cabinet. ... The fan noise is a constant whirr, similar to a computer, but not as loud as on many computers. I have only noticed the single constant speed.

That describes my situation with the T785 too. Mine is not in a cabinet. It's quite well ventilated with a CD player a couple of inches above it.

Once there's something playing it's not noticeable. However, I have noticed it during particularly quiet passages. In a quiet room at idle once you turn it off the difference is quite amazing.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 AM

Last week I just purchased the T-785 and am very happy with it's performance. The audio quality and the amps are impressive. I had a Rotel and it was fantastic except it had to go back to the factory and had/has decoding problems. I also had to personally put in a new EPROM chip and it's motherboard a couple of years ago. I finally gave up on it when the decoding started messing up again even though Rotel said send it back. They just did $830 worth of free upgrades for me. I thought it was time to go ahead and buy the latest technology and sell the Rotel.

I'm somewhat disappointed reading your post that now that I've spent all of this money on a "fantastic receiver", I'll be needing to spend between $400 to $950 "per board" in a couple of months to upgrade it. Mine does have the Audessy setup and also has an upgraded HDMI board according to Bob Moran at NAD.

Any idea which boards I'll have to purchase to keep it current with the decoding, HD audio, and etc?

Current menu version display:
MCV- V 1.16
DSP- V 1.04a
UART- V1.04

Also, is the board upgrade as simple as ordering it/them and installing ourself or do we have to fork out more money and down time by shipping or taking it in for the upgrading?

Thanks,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 View Post

New cards for the receivers are supposed to ship in January of 09. Two Audio options one is $400 the other is $600 the diff is in the Audessy implementation. Two Video options one $400 the other $950. The diff is in one just does switching the other is a total Video solution. NAD press release link on upgrades.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/527318.html

Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 AM

Those prices are MSRP so maybe your dealer will help you out. They may do the work for free. In order to get the new HD decoding you just need the $400.00 audio board it keeps the same Audessy functions you have now. The $600 board adds all the fancy Audessy functions, dynamic volume and stuff, plus decoding of the HD formats.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
Old 11-22-2008, 06:41 AM

I just emailed my distributor. I was under the impression that it had all of the latest upgrades.

Thanx,
Mike
Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM

You don't need to do any upgrades.

Your T785 is fully up-to-date. The upgrades people are talking about will update the T785 to the level of the announced, but as yet unreleased T785 HD, which will replace the T785 next year. The new model includes new features but costs $1000 more at retail list. Are the new features worth the extra $1K? In my opinion, the answer is no for most people. The new video processing will be useful to people with dedicated video projectors and/or very large screens, and the new audio processing adds features that aren't necessary.

All you need is a Blu-ray player that decodes all HD audio formats and outputs them as Linear PCM and you will be fine. The Sony PS3 and the new Sony BDP-S550 standalone player both do this. The NAD can do full Audyssey processing on 8 channels of linear PCM up to 96 KHz @ 24 bits so there is no need for HD audio decoding in the receiver.

There is no advantage to bitstreaming HD codecs to the receiver and having the receiver decode, except that you will get to see a "Dolby True HD" or "DTS-HD MA" message on the NAD's front display, instead of "Direct". Since I use a PS3 for Blu-ray (superior to any standalone player on the market) and it can only output in Linear PCM (no bitstreaming of HD codecs) I would get virtually nothing from an "upgrade".

The only sound quality improvement would possibly come from the addition of Audyssey Dynamic Volume, which only comes into play at lower volumes. It's like an intelligent continuously variable "loudness" control. Is it worth the upgrade? I have no idea since I haven't heard that feature yet.

Upgrade boards, when available, will be installed by service centers and will require a firmware update. Dealers might be able to do the job too, but it will not be a consumer level install. I think there would be too many warranty issues to deal with if consumers do it themselves.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I heard back from my distributor and he will cut me a special deal on the boards and confirmed what you said....my unit is the latest of everything available.

The commercials blast the living room with extremely high dBs, so that's a board I've got to get regardless. I have to "run" across the living room to hit the mute or volume button it when the commercials come on!

I appreciate your very detailed response.

Best regards,
Mike Cason
Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM

This happened to me once before, the sound from my speaker outputs stopped working. Sub-woofer and pre-outs still work (I have my main speakers going thru a separate NAD amplifier, so my center & surrounds are not working).
Last time this happened I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.15 at the time) and afterwards everything started working again.
Another thing I should mention is that I setup (thru the OSD) zone 2 to main amp (as I am not using these speaker-outs since I am using the pre-outs for my mains). Both times that the sound went dead seem to happen shortly after I turned on zone 2. Otherwise everything was working fine (for months) before I turned on zone 2. Maybe just a coincidence?!?

Has anyone else experienced this ?
Also can someone send me the latest firmware (1.16 I believe), much appreciated it.

cliff.strass@shaw.ca

Regards, Cliff.

Calgary, Alberta
Old 11-26-2008, 07:03 PM

in one paragraph than I have found in pages and hours of reading and searching.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking to get a new receiver. I'm selling off my Onkyo TXSR805. I've narrowed my choices down to either NAD or a new Marantz receiver.

NAD T744
Marantz SR5003

I don't think I can swing the cash to for an NAD with HDMI audio, which is what I would really like. My question is how does NAD compare to a brand like Marantz? I'm using PSB T45 speakers.

My system is used mostly for Movies.....some music.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would wait until next year if you want an affordable NAD. The T744 is a nice performer, but don't sell a working receiver if you're not going for full HDMI capability.

John
Old 11-27-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xericmx View Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking to get a new receiver. I'm selling off my Onkyo TXSR805. I've narrowed my choices down to either NAD or a new Marantz receiver.

NAD T744
Marantz SR5003

I don't think I can swing the cash to for an NAD with HDMI audio, which is what I would really like. My question is how does NAD compare to a brand like Marantz? I'm using PSB T45 speakers.

My system is used mostly for Movies.....some music.

Thanks,
Eric

If you are using mostly for movies, I wouldn't go for a receiver now without HDMI. I'd either go for the Marantz now or wait and save more if you are really wanting an NAD.

Does the Onkyo really not satisfy you? I am not that familar with the Marantz or Onkyo but I wouldn't think there is that much of a difference in overall performance?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Onkyo runs really hot and pulls 850watts while in use. There are so many bells and features on it that I will never use. I just want a simple receiver with the best possible audio quality. At this point, I wouldn't mind waiting another year to get HDMI. If the marantz isn't different in audio quality with NAD then I will just get the Marantz. Audio quality is my biggest selling point right now. I was even thinking about getting a simple NAD and a record player (trying to get into music listening too). Thanks for the advise!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM

After listening to various AVR's, the only "mass market" brand I'd consider over NAD is Denon. Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, etc, are all lacking in audio quality. Denon is the best of the Japanese brands, but still not up to NAD overall, and there are WAY too many features to wade through. The Denon AVR's also don't seem to run as hot as the others (except NAD which run very cool due to the fans).

A Denon AVR as a pre-pro with an NAD multichannel power amp would not be a bad setup.

But given the two-year warranty on our NAD AVR's, I'm pretty sure they will have everything worked out before the warranty expires.