post #1891 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

John...I don't go off and put down other mfg speaker, equipment, ETC. NHT....now you bad mouth them. Sounds like the NHT regional manager abused you like the B&W rm abused you.

I've always disliked how NHT principles ran the company since Bill Bush left in 2000. Their products are still among the best, arguably the best in some cases, in their price range. I genuinely dislike most B&W products and still would if they were half the price, but the company is run brilliantly. Neither of these opinions changed when I was an NHT dealer or worked for a B&W dealer or afterwards. In fact, I could point to many cases where I badmouthed NHT leadership as a dealer and complimented B&W's leadership. There are a lot of brands that I used to sell that I still love (C-J, YBA, JMLab Utopia, NHT, Pass Labs, etc, etc), even if a 'regional manager abused me'. B&W's RM never abused me, I just never liked any of their products using Kevlar since the days when they were beginning to use it more and more. So your statement holds no water.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

B&W700guy,

I don't know who you are, and I am absolutely certain you have no idea who I am. My name is not John, and I do not know the John you refer too.

My opinions are based on my ears, and a couple decades of experience with quality audio gear. If you disagree with me, fine. Simply counter my opinions with your direct observations and experiences with the same products and provide enough detail to back it up.

Calling me names or accusing me of being someone who I am not makes it pretty clear that you have nothing useful or constructive to add to the discussion. You are arguing against me and not my argument.

If I were the NAD fanboy you accuse me of, I wouldn't have posted all of the issues I have had with my original T765 and the T775 that replaced it under warranty. I've been through multiple firmware updates, ghosting over component video (T765), corrupted DSP firmware that required NAD to write a special software update routine to correct (T775), 1080p HDMI issues (had to get the hardware update), ticks and pops (tested the hardware update and opted not to go with it). I'm on a first name basis with NAD customer support and I have provided lots of feedback about the various issues and results of the extensive testing I have done. Read the entire thread to see, and also the T175 thread.

More than once through all of this, I almost decided to dump NAD and go with something like the Denon 3808ci, Onkyo/Integra, or even Arcam. But ultimately, sound quality, simplicity of design, ease of use, and flexibility of configuration won out. I stuck with the T775 despite all the issues because I simply could not find anything else that sounded better for anything close to the price, and it's not for a lack of looking either. And yes, NAD's custom implementation of Audyssey MultEQ XT factored very highly in that determination. As I have repeatedly said, with my ears, in my room, with my speakers, it makes a huge difference in getting my system to sound closer to reality.

No, you must be John....you love to listen to yourself

I disagree with most of what you say. I have done in home testing of 8002, 885, 3808. Also, have listen to the NAD Prepro vs. the 3808, I felt the NAD sounded better, but not by much. Furthermore the NAD setup was with a NAD Amp. I agree with you, Ears are different. But, when you read that, I also read the rant on how NAD sounds better, works better then Denon. Oh, and I have almost 40yr experience in Audio...Like that matters I am not impressed with you or I because of time.

I am very interested in their next gen product, we will see. Maybe I will buy one.
post #1893 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I've always disliked how NHT principles ran the company since Bill Bush left in 2000. Their products are still among the best, arguably the best in some cases, in their price range. I genuinely dislike most B&W products and still would if they were half the price, but the company is run brilliantly. Neither of these opinions changed when I was an NHT dealer or worked for a B&W dealer or afterwards. In fact, I could point to many cases where I badmouthed NHT leadership as a dealer and complimented B&W's leadership. There are a lot of brands that I used to sell that I still love (C-J, YBA, JMLab Utopia, NHT, Pass Labs, etc, etc), even if a 'regional manager abused me'. B&W's RM never abused me, I just never liked any of their products using Kevlar since the days when they were beginning to use it more and more. So your statement holds no water.

You got me John....well, really no. You have always spoken so highly of NHT. You have even stated how they have used your Marketing ideas. Then, I think it was 6 months ago you started to bash...well in front of me how NHT was not very good. Like I have said in the past, I can't believe your principals have not pulled your sales agreement. Ops, sorry, it sounds like NHT did

Sorry, again, I am not going to drink the Jim Jones kool-Aid, John.

Have a Merry Christmas
post #1894 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

You got me John....well, really no. You have always spoken so highly of NHT. You have even stated how they have used your Marketing ideas. Then, I think it was 6 months ago you started to bash...well in front of me how NHT was not very good. Like I have said in the past, I can't believe your principals have not pulled your sales agreement. Ops, sorry, it sounds like NHT did

Essentially everything you just said is untrue. I'd break it down with the facts, but you clearly don't care about those.

John
post #1895 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Essentially everything you just said is untrue. I'd break it down with the facts, but you clearly don't care about those.

Thank you John. Now we don't want you to go Postal like the other time we discussed this

Enjoy
post #1896 of 4310 Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM

I think you're all named John and just like to argue with yourself...and you're all too old for your ears to hold merit ha ha...
post #1897 of 4310 Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 AM

LOL - thank you AVImpulse for that, was getting tired of the banter myself. It's an NAD thread, meant to be a place where owner's can share issues and opinions about the NAD equipment stated in the thread title and how it's fairing in their system, even what it seems to bring out in their other components or how it compares to our experience with similar equipment. I for one welcome and value all of those opinions only for what they are...opinions. I agree someone I don't know stating on a thread how long they've been in the industry is meaningless. Anyone with half a heart for audio knows it's all in what you personally like or dislike and through my ownership of the 785 this last year have found this thread very helpful (thank you for posts like #1879), even if most of the time I'm just lurking.
NAD Paradigm and Alimentall are names I quickly recognize as making a meaningful contribution to this thread and in the 175 thread. IMO the opinions offered on NAD vs Denon are not far from my own experience after setting up Audyssey for my father's AVR-2808 last weekend and giving it a listen vs the 785 in my home. I'd offer more, but it's moot since these are not "comparable" pieces in their respective lines and equipment was set up in totally different environments, I'd hope the 3808 would sound much better...
post #1898 of 4310 Old 12-20-2008, 03:37 AM

I want change the subject to NAD marketing. Or, more specifically, ask the question why we don't see more of it? I peruse various on-line audio magazines where they occasionally list the best of various categories. I almost never see NAD in the AV categories, and certainly never the T7xx5 line -- even when they have a separate category for receivers in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. And I don't remember if I ever saw a dedicated review in any of the major magazines for this line.

Didn't NAD use to be more prominent in years past? The 775 was the first NAD I ever bought so I don't the whole history but I do remember 15-20 years ago that NAD was known to be among the 'best of the best' and something I wanted to own when I had the income to actually afford it.

Did NAD purposely keep this line from the press because of all the known problems we've discovered over the past 12-14 months? They fixed most of those issues... so doesn't NAD need to gain more visibility and take back some of the market share from the high-end Onkyo and Denon lines that most consumers are considering when looking for an audiophile AV receiver?

Anybody know NAD's marketing strategy with this line?
post #1899 of 4310 Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Maybe it's because you have to spend a lot of money advertising in a magazine to get a good review from them. And since they almost never give bad reviews, you have to spend a lot just to get a review. Magazine reviews in almost every industry are like this - which is why I have given up on enthusiast magazines for almost all my interests and rely on public forums like this one.

I've never seen NAD do much in the way of advertising or magazine reviews, they have always been more of a word of mouth type of product, which explains why the average person that asks about my HT system has never heard of NAD.

The other problem is that NAD is a "tweener" brand. Offering higher-end performance at midrange prices at the expense of cool styling or lots of features. It's too expensive for mass market fans and lacking in features for those who obsess about having all the latest doo-dads. I find it humorous that a lot of new mass market AVR's have logos splashed across the entire width of the front panel.

But for some people that like high end gear it's all about the whole package - machined aluminum front panels with billet milled knobs - and all kinds of high-priced exotic internals. They also like it to be manufactured in England or the US, and not in China. In this realm, NAD is too cheap, except the Master's Series.
post #1900 of 4310 Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's because you have to spend a lot of money advertising in a magazine to get a good review from them. And since they almost never give bad reviews, you have to spend a lot just to get a review. Magazine reviews in almost every industry are like this - which is why I have given up on enthusiast magazines for almost all my interests and rely on public forums like this one.

I've never seen NAD do much in the way of advertising or magazine reviews, they have always been more of a word of mouth type of product, which explains why the average person that asks about my HT system has never heard of NAD.

The other problem is that NAD is a "tweener" brand. Offering higher-end performance at midrange prices at the expense of cool styling or lots of features. It's too expensive for mass market fans and lacking in features for those who obsess about having all the latest doo-dads. I find it humorous that a lot of new mass market AVR's have logos splashed across the entire width of the front panel.

But for some people that like high end gear it's all about the whole package - machined aluminum front panels with billet milled knobs - and all kinds of high-priced exotic internals. They also like it to be manufactured in England or the US, and not in China. In this realm, NAD is too cheap, except the Master's Series.

Agreed 100%. I have had the Masters Series for about 19 months now. They are a fantastic kit in their price range.

I really believe that once the M15HD comes out in a couple of months, NAD and Masters will finally get their due in the press and with new users of NAD.

The Masters was so good but with HDMI 1.0 it was not a contender for most. This is about to change and the M15HD may be NAD's most important release to date. It could change the landscape for NAD in the market place.
I can't wait to try and hear the M15HD.

Getting so close now

Rick
post #1901 of 4310 Old 12-21-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's because you have to spend a lot of money advertising in a magazine to get a good review from them. And since they almost never give bad reviews, you have to spend a lot just to get a review. Magazine reviews in almost every industry are like this

One thing that has caught my attention the past 2-3 years is that Sound & Vision (which I've read on and off since the early 70s, in its various incarnations) is now being direct in its reviews with negative comments aplenty. There was a time when you would never see a negative review in this magazine, now you do, and quite regularly, which makes me think this was a conscious (and welcome) change in editorial policy.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1902 of 4310 Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:

The other problem is that NAD is a "tweener" brand. Offering higher-end performance at midrange prices at the expense of cool styling or lots of features.

The was certainly the case historically and is what attracted me to NAD many years ago.

However given what they are doing with the latest AVRs (the announced $1000 price uplift for a video processing feature of arguable utility) it seems to me someone at NAD is trying to reposition the brand and go upmarket. I wish them luck, as I doubt I'll be following them.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1903 of 4310 Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ings View Post

The was certainly the case historically and is what attracted me to NAD many years ago.

However given what they are doing with the latest AVRs (the announced $1000 price uplift for a video processing feature of arguable utility) it seems to me someone at NAD is trying to reposition the brand and go upmarket. I wish them luck, as I doubt I'll be following them.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada

I think they are just reacting to a market they misread.

Assuming you have a high quality HDTV and video sources, extra video processing in the AVR is unnecessary, and perhaps detrimental in some cases. This goes along with decoding of the HD audio formats being unnecessary as long as the AVR can receive Linear PCM from a source with built-in decoding.

I agree with both of these ideas, and it follows NAD's long standing philosophy of leaving out unnecessary (and costly with respect to licensing) features that provide no real benefit. That's how they get great performance at lower cost - put the money where it does the most good and leave out everything else.

But it seems many AVR buyers just HAVE to have all those buzzword features. They want the best video processing whether or not they really need it. They want to bitstream the HD codecs instead of decode in the player. NAD did not understand this and has gotten a lot of flak even on this forum. So they are adding the requested features and charging more. And to beat out the competition on specs, they are going for some of the best video processing available.
post #1904 of 4310 Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Assuming you have a high quality HDTV and video sources, extra video processing in the AVR is unnecessary, and perhaps detrimental in some cases. This goes along with decoding of the HD audio formats being unnecessary as long as the AVR can receive Linear PCM from a source with built-in decoding.

That exactly describes my situation. I do not have a large library of "legacy" standard definition video material to consider, as I almost always rented it. And now that most of what I rent is Blu-ray I am perfectly happy to live for the time being with the Blu-ray players upconversion where I'm forced to watch a standard defintion DVD.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1905 of 4310 Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:

That exactly describes my situation. I do not have a large library of "legacy" standard definition video material to consider, as I almost always rented it. And now that most of what I rent is Blu-ray I am perfectly happy to live for the time being with the Blu-ray players upconversion where I'm forced to watch a standard defintion DVD.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada

I have found that my main HDTV - Sony XBR4 46" internally scales/upconverts DVD's as well as any Blu-ray player, as long as it's an HDMI connection. I tested this by setting the Blu-ray player to pass the DVD through at 480i and verified the XBR was getting a 480i signal. Still looked exactly the same.

I doubt many AVR's could do any better, and a lot will do worse.
post #1906 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM

I purchased the T785. The software is version 1.17.

It sounded better than anything else I listened to. It lacks the main feature I wanted. I wanted to bitstream the new audio codes.

I don't like the remote and I can hear the fans from across the room.
post #1907 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post

A lousy remote for an otherwise decent AVR seems to be par for the course these days. Given the frequency with which magazine reviewers comment upon this, you would think the designers would invest some effort here.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1908 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:

The software is version 1.17.

So NAD has officially released firmware over 1.16 now? Thought they were still in a beta testing state. How loud are your fans, mine have always been nearly dead silent...
post #1909 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A lousy remote for an otherwise decent AVR seems to be par for the course these days. Given the frequency with which magazine reviewers comment upon this, you would think the designers would invest some effort here.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada

All of my customers either like the remote or love the remote. I've heard nothing but positive comments about it. Try a Denon or Yamaha or Onkyo and you'll find out what a lousy remote is! But also consider the idea that they need to keep the remote reasonably price because no matter how good they are, they're likely going to be replaced by something even cooler. We usually do an MX500 or MX810 with them.

John
post #1910 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It sounded better than anything else I listened to. It lacks the main feature I wanted. I wanted to bitstream the new audio codes..

That can be added.

Also, get a felt pad or thin strip of foam and slide it under the receiver (no more than about 1/8" thick) and it will help quiet the fans.

John
post #1911 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You will be able to order the unit without this feature. There will also be some new, lower priced receivers that are quite nice coming next year.

John
post #1912 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

This is about to change and the M15HD may be NAD's most important release to date

yeah, I can't wait!
post #1913 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Try a Denon or Yamaha or Onkyo and you'll find out what a lousy remote is!

Just to clarify, my comment about shipping a poor remote with a decent AVR was meant to apply to the general AVR market, not NAD in particular. It seems to be true of the HDTV market as well (wild generalization!)

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1914 of 4310 Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:

There will also be some new, lower priced receivers that are quite nice coming next year.

I'm excited to hear that, as I'll be buying a new AVR in the spring. I don't do much other than listen to music and watch Blu-ray discs, so all I want/need is excellent audio paired with simple HDMI switching. Oh, and GUI configuration over HDMI! (I ain't going to be running two cables to the HDTV!)

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1915 of 4310 Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughej View Post

So NAD has officially released firmware over 1.16 now? Thought they were still in a beta testing state. How loud are your fans, mine have always been nearly dead silent...

I checked the firmware again and it is ver. 1.17.
Using my Radio Shack meter, from 6 inches away, the fans measured
56/57 dB.
post #1916 of 4310 Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

I checked the firmware again and it is ver. 1.17.
Using my Radio Shack meter, from 6 inches away, the fans measured
56/57 dB.

You may want to have your unit looked at. I think most people on this forum will tell you their fans are extremely quiet. I know on my 785 I cannot hear it at all from approx. 10 feet away. To tell you the truth I cannot even notice it when I am sitting directly in fornt of the unit to the point I wonder if it is actually on? I am sure it is working and have never had any heat issues. Does your unit heat up quickly? I have had mine on for 8-10 hours at a time and does not even feel "luke-warm" after all of that time.
post #1917 of 4310 Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

You may want to have your unit looked at. I think most people on this forum will tell you their fans are extremely quiet. I know on my 785 I cannot hear it at all from approx. 10 feet away. To tell you the truth I cannot even notice it when I am sitting directly in fornt of the unit to the point I wonder if it is actually on? I am sure it is working and have never had any heat issues. Does your unit heat up quickly? I have had mine on for 8-10 hours at a time and does not even feel "luke-warm" after all of that time.

The fans on my T775 are pretty quiet, but they are always on and the speed never changes. The unit gets only a little warm, even though it is in an enclosed but ventilated cabinet. Fan cooling is one of the reasons why I went with NAD - many other AVR's get very hot and cannot be put in a cabinet.

Occasionally, the fans make a louder buzzy noise when turning the unit on. Turning it off for a few seconds and then turning it back on usually solves the problem. There is probably some dust buildup on the blades that occasionally causes an imbalance. Sooner or later I'll pull it out and clean the fans. Hopefully it's nothing major.
post #1918 of 4310 Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
nek

My T785 fans are near silent with a faint wisp - only if i crank it up and then quickly mute do i hear the fans go to work.

The remote on the T785 is a fantastic device and controls all my gear

Ken
post #1919 of 4310 Old 12-25-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post

My T785 fans are near silent with a faint wisp - only if i crank it up and then quickly mute do i hear the fans go to work.

The remote on the T785 is a fantastic device and controls all my gear

Ken

I have never noticed the fan speed to change on my receiver to change. They are running at the same level even after 10 hours of use.

Can you change the source using your remote without having the TV on. I have not noticed a button for this on mine.

Merry Christmass to everyone.
post #1920 of 4310 Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have never noticed the fan speed to change on my receiver to change. They are running at the same level even after 10 hours of use.

Can you change the source using your remote without having the TV on. I have not noticed a button for this on mine.

Merry Christmass to everyone.

I never hear the fan on mine, but it is also entirely open on top of my cabinet.

I don't understand your question on the remote. Why do you need the tv on? If the remote is in amp mode, then you just select the input with the corresponding number on the keypad.

Phil Tomaskovic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page