post #1981 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 View Post

I think you will notice a different due to the Audyssey. But if you already have Rotel separates, why not look at T175 and keep the Rotal amp? I am currently run a T175 with a Rotel RMB 1075 amp.

How does your RSP1069 working? I was considering it for a while as I formally own the RSP1068 but it had its own set of issues at the time and for other reasons I decided to go with the NAD processor

does the 775/785 have more features than the 175?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:

How does your RSP1069 working? I was considering it for a while as I formally own the RSP1068 but it had its own set of issues at the time and for other reasons I decided to go with the NAD processor

The 1069 is a great sounding processor but when I play the new Hi-rez codecs through a Panasonic BD-50 decoding them internally I'm not getting that wow factor with blurays, so I keep wondering if I had a processor that decodes the new codecs and has Audyssey, will work better.
And the idea of modular construction seems great, I really looked into the T175 but since initially it had so many issues and no local dealers I decided to go with the 1069 even though it was only an hdmi 1.1. Rotel really pist me off too!! Right after I buy the 1069 they release the 1570 which had hdmi 1.3 and decodes the new codecs.
post #1983 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxviii View Post

I did the firmware upgrade - quick and painless. Unfortunately still having the popping issues, but not nearly as bad as before. The popping was absolutely brutal before, now it's just annoying.

Unfortunately the firmware update (latest) did not resolve the problem of playing multi-channel through the NAD. I still only get 2.0 at 48 kHz.

I'm also having the same issue with SACD on an OPPO player, so I did a search on the forum and it appears I bought an early unit the only supports 2-channel LPCM over HDMI. Hopefully NAD will correct this as they have in the past.

mcmlxviii, I too have the Oppo 983 (not sure which one you have) connected to my T785 and I have no problems with SACD, DVD-A's or DVD's playing in full 5.1. I am not sure what you read about buying the unit early being the problem, but I know I was one of the first to own the Oppo 983 and have not had to update my firmware to correct the LPCM over HDMI. When I am playing DVD-A's or SACD the "Direct" lights up on the the 785 automatically. My connection is one simple HDMI wire connected into my NAD T785.

I left many of the standard settings alone, some of the HDMI settings I have are TV Display: 16.9 Wide, Down mix: 5.1 CH, Speakers all set to large, Bass: on (since NAD T785 has bass management), HDMI Audio: Auto, Digital Output: Raw and my HDMI resolution is set to 720p since my tv resolution is 768. You may have a defevtive HDMI Board, but hopefully you dont and it is just software/firmware adjustments. Good Luck.
post #1984 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Just to weigh in on the positive side...I have a Jun 2008 purchased T785 with an Oppo 981. Audyessy Pro was set up by my dealer, Stereo Unlimited in San Diego. Marvelous transformation of sound in my lousy room.

Playing Diana Krall SACD on Oppo via HDMI shows up as "Direct" and display indicates 3.2.1 @ 88khz. No problems clicks, pops, fan noise, nothing.
Firmware 1.06 v. 1.17
post #1985 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

mcmlxviii, I too have the Oppo 983 (not sure which one you have) connected to my T785 and I have no problems with SACD, DVD-A's or DVD's playing in full 5.1. I am not sure what you read about buying the unit early being the problem, but I know I was one of the first to own the Oppo 983 and have not had to update my firmware to correct the LPCM over HDMI. When I am playing DVD-A's or SACD the "Direct" lights up on the the 785 automatically. My connection is one simple HDMI wire connected into my NAD T785.

I left many of the standard settings alone, some of the HDMI settings I have are TV Display: 16.9 Wide, Down mix: 5.1 CH, Speakers all set to large, Bass: on (since NAD T785 has bass management), HDMI Audio: Auto, Digital Output: Raw and my HDMI resolution is set to 720p since my tv resolution is 768. You may have a defevtive HDMI Board, but hopefully you dont and it is just software/firmware adjustments. Good Luck.

The issue is with the NAD, not the OPPO.
post #1986 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the NAD can pass a below black signal?

I tried a DVE DVD disc and a Blu-ray DVE disc on my Oppo & Panasonic respectively noted that the bars for below black (Pluge) weren't showing. I know for certain that the Oppo is able to pass below black from my previous setup. So either the NAD or HDMI to component video converter is clipping black and probably white also.

I'm not inclined to move my equipment around again to determine the culprit. I did enough of that yesterday trying to figure out why I was only getting 2 LPCM channels on the NAD while my DVD & Blu-Ray players were outputting multi-channel LPCM. So I wondering if anyone is able to confirm if the NAD is able to pass below black info and not clip the signal?
post #1987 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
"does the 775/785 have more features than the 175?"

A/B speaker switching and ability to switch the surround back amps to power zone 2 speakers.

But I might be mixing that up with the Sherwood Newcastle R-972.

Noah
post #1988 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hery19 View Post

The 1069 is a great sounding processor but when I play the new Hi-rez codecs through a Panasonic BD-50 decoding them internally I'm not getting that wow factor with blurays, so I keep wondering if I had a processor that decodes the new codecs and has Audyssey, will work better.
And the idea of modular construction seems great, I really looked into the T175 but since initially it had so many issues and no local dealers I decided to go with the 1069 even though it was only an hdmi 1.1. Rotel really pist me off too!! Right after I buy the 1069 they release the 1570 which had hdmi 1.3 and decodes the new codecs.

I'm still not convinced that the new lossless codecs are noticeably better than the lossy. I haven't tried it with the receiver decoding it though (theoretically it should be the same?). I do agree with many people on here that the Audyssey NAD equilization sounds better than not having it and better than the regular audyssey curve. When I first tried it out it was hard to tell the difference. But now after listening for a few months I easily notice between the settings. With it turned on (in stereo), what it did for me was bring the vocals up front and higher at eye level. Without it the vocals were set back in the sound stage and lower in visual height. Some of the instruments also pop out more with the audyssey turned on. What I've been wondering is if the audyssey destroys sound stage depth perception or not. I want to say no since some of the sounds I've heard set in the back of the stage are still there, and that the problem was that too much of the music was recessed/set back without the equilation. What are some of your experiences?
post #1989 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You may have a 24/96 'bucket' with TruHD and MA, but you probably don't have anything that truly fills it. Most it would be lucky to be 20/48. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sound on some BDs gets sourced from upconverted DD.

I think NAD's version of Audyssey is pretty useful for the typical home theater, but I don't generally like to use it with stereo. It's amazing how pissy Denon/Onkyo people get when you tell them that your Audyssey sounds better than theirs

John
post #1990 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM

John, now that it has been confirmed that firmware 1.06 v1.17 exist, do you know what has been changed from 1.05 v1.16? I have emailed Bob to get the upgrade, but I was curious if you knew the changes that may have been implemented? Thank you.
post #1991 of 4310 Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know. I believe it to be a 'beta', but not sure. If not, then I'm thinking that it's may have to do with subtle hardware changes that happen as the platform evolves. I don't think it's for general release or has anything for current users of 1.16 on it. I'll see if I can find out, but it's a bit easier for me to wait through CES and then they're more forthcoming about this stuff.

John
post #1992 of 4310 Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

does the 775/785 have more features than the 175?

I have not look too much into the receivers but I believe feature wise I they are the same outside of the amp section. Maybe the receivers do not employ the relay switching that causes the clicks between sources if I recall correctly. Somebody else can correct me if i am wrong.

that being said, if I already had a 5 channel power amp, I would look into the processor instead of the receiver unless you really think the NAD amp (from receiver) is better sounding then the Rotel.
post #1993 of 4310 Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not look too much into the receivers but I believe feature wise I they are the same outside of the amp section. Maybe the receivers do not employ the relay switching that causes the clicks between sources if I recall correctly. Somebody else can correct me if i am wrong.

that being said, if I already had a 5 channel power amp, I would look into the processor instead of the receiver unless you really think the NAD amp (from receiver) is better sounding then the Rotel.

what would be a good combo with the T175
post #1994 of 4310 Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

what would be a good combo with the T175

Wait for new model T175HD next month, will be loaded with new features; recommend T975 7 ch amp, very nice & powerful unit.

The orig T175 is too buggy, not recommended.
post #1995 of 4310 Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

Wait for new model T175HD next month, will be loaded with new features; recommend T975 7 ch amp, very nice & powerful unit.

The orig T175 is too buggy, not recommended.

cool. is the t175 upgradeable to the HD?
post #1996 of 4310 Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
"The orig T175 is too buggy, not recommended."

Why do you think the newer on e will be less so, w/more features=more things to be buggy

Noah
post #1997 of 4310 Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We're having great luck with ours Maybe 3 total 'buggy' units, all replaced with units that work great. So while I'm sure there is an issue, I'm also sure that there are lots of people out there digging these units that never bother to post. But we're going to take a look at the new boards and try it out on a unit that has an issue before sending it back and see what happens, if the boards show up in time, anyway.

John
post #1998 of 4310 Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

As I've mentioned before, I'll be buying either a new NAD (my preference) or Denon (backup plan) AVR this spring for a new house. The house is extensively pre-wired with Ethernet and speaker wires, so I have lots of options. (In hindsight, the Ethernet was a waste of money given how rapidly wireless has taken everything over - oh well!)

I just noticed that Denon now has wirelessly networked RF/IR repeaters that effectively turn their AVRs (with multi-zone support) into an alternative to whole house systems such as Sonos and Logitech Duet. (See the Denon RC-7001RCI.)

Does NAD have any similar products coming? If not, what would the NAD fans here suggest as an alternative?

I must admit the Denon approach is more appealing to me than Sonos, except it appears you must use the Denon remote and I'm aware that it doesn't have a lot of fans.

Dave Ings,
Toronto, Canada
post #1999 of 4310 Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM

I have a very simple setup that could be seen as whole house, but my needs/desires in this regard are simple so it's a great solution for me. And I think you hit on the alternatives with Sonus/Squeezebox. I have a Squeezebox Duet that runs into my T785 and I also have an NAD amp (9060 I believe?) that currently takes Zone 2 output from the T785 and powers the upstairs speakers as my main system is in the basement. I plan some day to put speakers outside and also in the workout room, these will all be run out of either the 7.1 channel (only 5.1 setup currently) on the 785 or the other 2 channels on the amp. This allows me to listen to any analog input upstairs while someone is watching TV or movie downstairs (can only listen to one digital input at a time).
I have a Harmony 890 that allows me to control everything from upstairs since it sends RF to the converter downstairs which sends IR signals into the 785, CD player, etc. But if listening to the Duet I just set the volume level for Zone 2 and use the Duet controller from there. The controller is great and my only complaint with it so far is short battery life. Anyway, when talking whole house audio it really depends on how elaborate you want your setup to be, for me simple audio interface with the best quality sound was what I wanted and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I can send the audio for any of the inputs into the 785 (duet, cd, blu-ray, cable, tuner). I have no desire to stream video and figure by the time HD streaming is a viable reality there will be a solution for me if I want it. I've only had the Duet for a month or so and while it sounds good, I'm looking into mods to improve the sound and bring it closer to CD quality or better if possible - love the convenience of not having to change discs. Hope this helps in a small way at least...
post #2000 of 4310 Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

We're having great luck with ours Maybe 3 total 'buggy' units, all replaced with units that work great. So while I'm sure there is an issue, I'm also sure that there are lots of people out there digging these units that never bother to post. But we're going to take a look at the new boards and try it out on a unit that has an issue before sending it back and see what happens, if the boards show up in time, anyway.

When you say "new boards", do you mean the HD upgrades or newer revisions of boards in the current receiver?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2001 of 4310 Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

He's referring to the upgrade cards which add additional functionality, pricey so only order what you really need.

For the record the T175 is the best processor avail, until maybe M15HD surfaces, but it has been plagued in some cases with instability...only reason I say to wait until new units are avail then we know for sure what the score is.
post #2002 of 4310 Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He's referring to the upgrade cards which add additional functionality, pricey so only order what you really need.

For the record the T175 is the best processor avail, until maybe M15HD surfaces, but it has been plagued in some cases with instability...only reason I say to wait until new units are avail then we know for sure what the score is.

even better the the anthem D2?
post #2003 of 4310 Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

What kind of instability? We just installed one today. Haven't completed the Audyssey Multi Eq Pro yet. Tomorrow sometime.
I noticed that when using the volume control on the front panel, it could not seem to keep up with fast volume changes.Seemed to revert back to a lower level or not change at all. The remote volume seemed fine.
Anybody else notice a finicky volume control? Thanks
post #2004 of 4310 Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Liked: 11
Any 754/755 owners? Sorry, unable to find the appropriate thread.

Denon 988 owner here. I have a friend I talked into T754 who took delivery today. My 988 is a $500 experiment using BD and HDMI. I'm about 50/50 for music/movies, as my friend. HDMI/Audyssey is nice but we both think alike when the foundation of any sound system are high current amps.

Needless to say he is thrilled with the SQ over his old Sony ES. Tomorrow I'll drive the 40 minutes to hear how bad the T754 spanks my 988

We had a question with the T754 VS T755. The T754 weighs in at 45lbs with 420 watts total but the T755 with 400 watts weighs in at 15lbs less. We were curious why the big difference in weight or build quality of the xformers/supplies for near identical output.

Thx
post #2005 of 4310 Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 AM

I have been using a Rotel 1065 5 channel AVR with a 100 watt amp rating since 2003. I replaced it with a new T-785 AVR and was disappointed with the NAD's amps which have an even higher True Disclosure rating in output at 7 channels. They sound very clean but IMHO, they don't have the Rotel's full soundstage that I've been used to. I found a 5 month old Rotel RMB 1095 200watt x 5 channel on Audiogon and whew....what an improvement!

The NAD's processor is awesome! I had my Rotel 1065 upgraded with all of the newest boards recently and the NAD blows it away in processing quality. I'm using my NAD's AVR as the processor and am only using two of the amps for my two center back speakers, and I am so happy with it. Sunday, I spoke with a rep from Modia Home Theater and he told me they have done the same thing.

He said they had a high end Denon AVR on display, but used the Rotel 1095 as the amplifier because it is so much better than the Denon's amp. Many will argue with this, but I coughed up a bunch of bucks to buy both units and am so happy with my end results. Dealers that don't sell Rotel say that they only sell high end stuff like Bryston and others, discounting Rotel's true quality, simply because they don't sell them. The RMB 1095 is one of Rotel's longest production amps they have ever built, starting production in 2000 and still going strong.

I'll admit I'm driving some difficult loads. I have built most of my own speakers.

You won't be disappointed with this setup.

Mike

[Originally Posted by jdc115

what would be a good combo with the T175]
post #2006 of 4310 Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 AM

You are correct about the relays. The receivers use solid state switching with no relays. That's why they usually don't get the louder pops when changing sources. The receivers do have clicks and tick noises, when changing functions on sources (ie changing channel on cable box).
post #2007 of 4310 Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 AM

My dealer contacted me from Florida yesterday and said the expected shipping date for the 4 new upgrade boards for our Next Generation receivers is around March 1st.

Mike
post #2008 of 4310 Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishmike View Post

I have been using a Rotel 1065 5 channel AVR with a 100 watt amp rating since 2003. I replaced it with a new T-785 AVR and was disappointed with the NAD's amps which have an even higher True Disclosure rating in output at 7 channels.

You previously wrote in the Onkyo TX-SR875 forum the following:

"I ended up with the NAD T-785 and have a "real AVR" now. It has true power ratings unlike the FTC power ratings of the 875 and can drive my home theater speakers to 120 db with ease and I have plenty of headroom to go." and

"...I purchased the NAD as my main AVR and it sounds and performs great."

So, what changed your mind regarding the T785? "...120 db with ease and I have plenty of headroom..." implies that you were more than satisfied with the power amp section of the receiver. Just curious what changed your mind, if in fact it was changed.

BTW, I've replaced the 905 with a T775 for a wickedly good price. And customer service is beyond reproach.
post #2009 of 4310 Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxviii View Post

You previously wrote in the Onkyo TX-SR875 forum the following:

"I ended up with the NAD T-785 and have a "real AVR" now. It has true power ratings unlike the FTC power ratings of the 875 and can drive my home theater speakers to 120 db with ease and I have plenty of headroom to go." and

"...I purchased the NAD as my main AVR and it sounds and performs great."

So, what changed your mind regarding the T785? "...120 db with ease and I have plenty of headroom..." implies that you were more than satisfied with the power amp section of the receiver. Just curious what changed your mind, if in fact it was changed.

BTW, I've replaced the 905 with a T775 for a wickedly good price. And customer service is beyond reproach.

After making that post, I remembered that when I ran the dB test, it was with the Rotel 1065. I should have updated that statement. My mistake!

I'm only getting about 110-112 tops with the NAD. I can turn the NAD up to its maximum gain for minutes at a time, and I wouldn't dare do that with the 100 watt Rotel.

After I made the post, I listened to a lot more music DVDs and the more I listened to them, the more I could realize that my mains weren't putting out what they used to and I was missing something. I don't know if it is because I'm now driving 7 channels vs the 5 of the RSX 1065 Rotel.

Anywho....I'm very pleased with the NAD regardless of it's output, and for the average and better home theater systems, it's amplifiers should be more than adequate for 99% of the people. Unfortunantly, I like cranking it up and have built some speakers that can stand up to that kind of spl.

They drive the Martin Logans very well and they are hard speakers to drive as many ML owners will tell you.

Congrats on your good deal....I got my T-785 for $1,960 or close. I called Bob Moran and went through the display menu and it has the latest of the upgrades and HDMI board. I'm very happy with my purchase too.
post #2010 of 4310 Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
nek

I owned 2 Nad Siverline S200 Power amplifiers - incredible power and sound quality from these and hooked them up to the T785 for a while - I have to say the difference between the internal amps of the T785 and the S200's was not massive at all - slightly more punch with the S200's - hence me selling them

The power from the T785 is more than enough in my room - even with relatively in - efficient speakers (87dbs)

Ken
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page