3Likes

post #2251 of 4311 Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

Then I came accross a product made by PPC/Ottovonmo that looks like it would actually work, it locks into existing female hdmi jacks with no modification necessary, check it out;
http://lockinghdmi.com/

I actually bought this PPC cable from Bettercables.com, I have to say it is only marginally better at holding tight than standard HDMI connectors, I was expecting too much I guess because it does get displaced if I try to move my entertainment center too close to the wall. My 785 is close to the back of the EC and the radius is just too tight if I want to move it up close to the wall. It does work fine as far as signal goes.

Accell has a locking cable coming out with a t-bar and sliding sleeve to release rather than a push button. I'd like to try those but I can't find any retail outlet yet, they were announced at 2009 CES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 4311 Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
any of you UK NAD owners ?

just wondered if the UK Versions had similar teething problems ?

I'm so tempted with a T775 - but put off by comments on here - my only source is a PS3

the popping noises etc - are they really bad - or just annoying ?

my AVR350 Arcam used to make some noises (static/pop noises) on changing say from 2 channel to D.Digital etc etc - it was annoying but could live with it

anyone in the UK - how have NAD beeen with regards to offering up fixes, firmware patches etc ?

I've been looking at processors, say an Arcam AV9 + Power amp, but would love the combination of support for HD, Audysey EQ correction etc than the NAD offers

Also - anyone know which DACs the 775/785 use please ?
post #2253 of 4311 Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

anyone in the UK - how have NAD beeen with regards to offering up fixes, firmware patches etc ?

I'd like to add another question in this vein - anyone have experiencce converting a NAD receiver (or any other receiver for that matter) from running in the US to running in the UK? The things that I can think of being tricky are not just the voltage, and the fact that everyone uses DAB rather than satellite radio but also maybe the video format. I''m thinking of un-emigrating.
post #2254 of 4311 Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Ney

Looks like there is both a european and american version. So you need to get a voltage converter to convert the 230v 50hz uk signal to the amircan standard 110v 60hz? But they are fairly inexpensive like this:http://bargainoffers.com/catalog/sev...ter-p-155.html
Radio I know nothing about. But I am fairly sure you can buy a european NAD DAB module for the T7xx series.
As to video you should have no trouble at all (especially if you are using hdmi). Hope that helps.
post #2255 of 4311 Old 04-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks. The NAD FAQ say that it should be possible to get one converted by a technician, though it's a generic FAQ, and might be refering to more straightforward gear. Certainly, the US version has a connector for XM (not useful), while the European version has a socket for a DAB connector (useful), so that module would need to be swapped out. Good news about there being no picture format issues - has HDMI made the whole PAL/NTSC issue a thing of the past, to be replaced as an annoyance to people switching continent by region-coded DVDs?
post #2256 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I actually bought this PPC cable from Bettercables.com, I have to say it is only marginally better at holding tight than standard HDMI connectors, I was expecting too much I guess because it does get displaced if I try to move my entertainment center too close to the wall. My 785 is close to the back of the EC and the radius is just too tight if I want to move it up close to the wall. It does work fine as far as signal goes.

Accell has a locking cable coming out with a t-bar and sliding sleeve to release rather than a push button. I'd like to try those but I can't find any retail outlet yet, they were announced at 2009 CES.

That's good to know, was not sure how good they were. I appears that the Accell version with the t-bar has the locking points at about the same distance as the PPC, so not sure if it will be any better:

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/6271/962
VS.
http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/6243/962

Has anyone tried this method by Blue Echo Solutions (hd EZ Adapter)?:
http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/6244/962
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/hd-ez-lock.php

These guys (Torrent's MagLoc) uses a magnetic connector, suppose to improve the strength by 5 times, curious:
http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/6275/962

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #2257 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringcorp View Post

Thanks. The NAD FAQ say that it should be possible to get one converted by a technician, though it's a generic FAQ, and might be refering to more straightforward gear. Certainly, the US version has a connector for XM (not useful), while the European version has a socket for a DAB connector (useful), so that module would need to be swapped out. Good news about there being no picture format issues - has HDMI made the whole PAL/NTSC issue a thing of the past, to be replaced as an annoyance to people switching continent by region-coded DVDs?

PAL/NTSC is really a thing of the past, and thank god for that (a few old CRT monitors may still have issues, but I havnt encounceted an LCD or Plasma display that couldnt handle both signals). Region coded DVD's are pretty easy to get around as well, most players already are region free, or can be made it (ask you local dealer , they usually do it for a small fee). Sadly most bluray players are still region encoded to my knowledge. If anyone know of a region free BD player feel free to post a link
post #2258 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Has anyone tried this method by Blue Echo Solutions (hd EZ Adapter)?:
http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/6244/962
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/hd-ez-lock.php

Was actually going to suggest looking into this as a good solution to locking HDMI. I purchased 3pr for my 785 but have only attached to my TV and cable DVR thus far. I didn't want to put on the 785 just yet as I don't have full resolution to the issues and wanted to wait 'til either the issues are finally fixed or I upgrade to HD or add new boards, etc. I was having some issues with the HDMI cable into my TV where the signal was lost and simply wiggling the cable brought it back, with the HD EZ Lock on there I have had no problem at all and it's a nice tight fit and easy install, I'd recommend it. I've not heard of the magnet solution until seeing this post but something seems odd about putting a magnet on the back of a piece of a/v equipment where a cable is being connected?
post #2259 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughej View Post

Was actually going to suggest looking into this as a good solution to locking HDMI. I purchased 3pr for my 785 but have only attached to my TV and cable DVR thus far. I didn't want to put on the 785 just yet as I don't have full resolution to the issues and wanted to wait 'til either the issues are finally fixed or I upgrade to HD or add new boards, etc. I was having some issues with the HDMI cable into my TV where the signal was lost and simply wiggling the cable brought it back, with the HD EZ Lock on there I have had no problem at all and it's a nice tight fit and easy install, I'd recommend it. I've not heard of the magnet solution until seeing this post but something seems odd about putting a magnet on the back of a piece of a/v equipment where a cable is being connected?

Hughej,

Nice to know someone that actually used it and have it working, I may get a couple to try. Yes, I'm also wondering about the magnet (can it interfere with the signal? Does the magnetism transfer to the equipment casing causing interference with nearby cables? Don't know).

Thanks,
Ray

Ray

post #2260 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:

This looks like the best solution so far. Gefen makes a cable with the screw built-in which also looks good. In my opinion all those that claim 5, 7, even 10 lbs pressure to fall out are just not good enough in many applications (like mine). anything that screws into the equipment should be full proof.
post #2261 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This looks like the best solution so far. Gefen makes a cable with the screw built-in which also looks good. In my opinion all those that claim 5, 7, even 10 lbs pressure to fall out are just not good enough in many applications (like mine). anything that screws into the equipment should be full proof.

Agreed! Every piece of equipment with an HDMI connection should include a built in nut to receive this locking screw - then maybe all HDMI cable manufactures would include the locking screw, what a thought...

Ray

post #2262 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM

fwiw, and I haven't made any attempts, but I don't think the 785 has the set screws to be able to attach the HD EZ Lock to the chassis for each HDMI connector. There are screws near the right location that may do the trick, but again I haven't tried anything yet. With my TV I had the same issue and so used the adhesive that accompanied the fasteners - I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy they seemed to be and won't feel at all uncomfortable if that is the route I end up taking with the 785 when the time comes...
post #2263 of 4311 Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

fwiw, and I haven't made any attempts, but I don't think the 785 has the set screws to be able to attach the HD EZ Lock to the chassis for each HDMI connector. There are screws near the right location that may do the trick, but again I haven't tried anything yet. With my TV I had the same issue and so used the adhesive that accompanied the fasteners - I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy they seemed to be and won't feel at all uncomfortable if that is the route I end up taking with the 785 when the time comes...

Hughej,

I think you're right (I'm at work, so cannot look at the back of my 785). The newer adhesives are pretty strong, so that may be more than enough. If the warranty weren't an issue, I'd probably drill and add screws, but won't go there because of that. I'm definitely going to try the HD EZ out (at least one pair as they are sold). If it works well, then I'll fix the other connections with them. I figure it's an investment from having the board fry because of a loose connection. They should have figured out this issue long before HDMI was released (there was already a lot of past experience with the inferior connection of SVHS connectors and just made a multi-pin connector with the same problematic unsecure issue, but worse since you just don't loose a signal, but can cause equipment damage!).

Ray

post #2264 of 4311 Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 AM

Has anybody heard any recent news about the availability of the new HD cards for the x75 receivers?

post #2265 of 4311 Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanjpc View Post

Has anybody heard any recent news about the availability of the new HD cards for the x75 receivers?

Sadly no, I am waiting impatiently myself.
post #2266 of 4311 Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:

I had a reply from NAD that the cards should be available in june/july. I don't know if there are any differences between europe and the us.
post #2267 of 4311 Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

if these cards also sort all the HDMI issues out - do you think NAD should provide them for free for people with problems ? or at least at a heavily reduced price ?

people with hte 775/785 - would you still buy another one if you had the choice ?

considering one - but really put off after reading through these threads !
post #2268 of 4311 Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:

if these cards also sort all the HDMI issues out - do you think NAD should provide them for free for people with problems ? or at least at a heavily reduced price ?

people with hte 775/785 - would you still buy another one if you had the choice ?

I have never had any HDMI issues with the 785 and it's so much better a receiver than most I have heard. For 2 channel CD it's in another league compared to Denon. I have a 2807 and they are not in the same league.
I would buy another today without doubt.
post #2269 of 4311 Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I had HDMI Problems before I started using the T785, and ever since I hooked up the NAD, my ticks and pops have been reduced to nothing. Remember, it takes 2 to make an HDMI handshake. I think these recievers have taken the fall for the PS3. Most of the problems between 775/785 and other equipment that I've read here, happen to be with Sony pieces, after all Sony has a long history of going out of their way to make their equipment only play well with their own euipment.

Listen to Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, then listen to Rotel, NAD or even B&K, if you can't hear the difference between the first group and the 2nd, then consider yourself lucky and buy the cheapest one out there that has the features you want.

I have no stake in NAD other than I am a happy owner.
post #2270 of 4311 Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

mmm I only have 2 sources, and one of those is a PS3 ! as a complete media server

thing is PS3 has been perfect with 4 receivers I've tried so why would it be a problem with the NAD ?
post #2271 of 4311 Old 05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was watching Sun morning tivo HD and then my Sony BluRay via hdmi on my 785 with hdmi to my Sony tv. No problems. Went out and came back a few hours later, turned on the tv with the 785 on the Tivo input and no picture or sound. Turned tv and receiver on and off a few times and got sound but no picture. If I try my Motorola dvr also on hdmi, I'd get a brief picture and sound but then get the "flash" when the hdmi sync occurs and the sound and picture goes away. The bluray also will sometimes give sound but no picture. If I play the tuner or my dvd player which is connected as component to the 785, I get video over hdmi to the tv fine. Tried to switch the tivo output to 480p but that didn't seem to help.

Do people think my hdmi inputs on the 785 went bad? I tried a full reset and no help.

Now the only other funny thing is I tried switching my Motorola dvr and tivo hd's hdmi cables to go directly to the tv vs into the 785. When I did that both said the the tv didn't support hdcp and to use component instead. When I do that both work fine. Now before I got the 785, I used hdmi from the Motorola dvr to the tv and it worked fine and never got that message before. I got the tivo hd after the 785 so this is the first time I ever tried going hdmi from the tivo direct to the tv.

So is it possible, it's a problem on the tv side? It's a Sony SXRD 50XBR1. Again this is the first time this has happened and everything was fine this morning.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2272 of 4311 Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It has been a relatively common problem with the Sony SXRD TV's. I believe the problem is in the "Q" or the hdmi circuit. Check out the links here and here.

Be seeing you!
post #2273 of 4311 Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

It has been a relatively common problem with the Sony SXRD TV's. I believe the problem is in the "Q" or the hdmi circuit. Check out the links here and here.

thanks, I got it from Abt with an extended warrantee so I hope to have good service from them.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2274 of 4311 Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

thanks, I got it from Abt with an extended warrantee so I hope to have good service from them.

And I just verified that the NAD is working fine connected to my Sharp LCD,I have 26" in the bedroom that was easy enough to bring down to the family room.

update: and of course the tv is now working ok when I tried it Monday morning. I think I will report it so it's on record on my warrantee. and of course I called and they can't report anything on my file unless a service call is made which is useless if the tech can't reproduce it.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2275 of 4311 Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone think the VM100 card would have any improvement over what's in the T785 now?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2276 of 4311 Old 05-07-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Does anyone think the VM100 card would have any improvement over what's in the T785 now?

I have actually seen some written sources describe VM100 has having only 3 HDMI outputs, but I have also seen it listed as 4. All sources that I have read show specs for VM200 as 4 HDMI's. If VM100 comes with 3 that would be a downgrade for current owners.

Phil, to your queston, If you get an AM200, then the VM100 will allow you to decode the BD lossless codes in the reciever/pre-pro. So thats an upgrade. Videowise, I think the only other thing you get is upconversion to 1080p on lower res sources. To my knowledge lower res is left at lower res currently.

Its worth noting that you cannot upgrade to any video card without a corresponding audio card and vice versa. Whether your after a 100 or 200 for Audio or Video, you have to get at least a 100 counterpart to make it all work.

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this;
There are a total of 5 cards on the back of the T785, if you upgrade to VM100 with AM200, do you get 5 cards or just 2, or is it something in between?
post #2277 of 4311 Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 AM

I have now had the T775 for a bit over 1½ a year, and are quite satisfied. I updated pretty much everything - except my subwoofer as I can't decide what to get - as part of the change to the T775 and this newfangled "Digital Age" (God I feel old now). I have been very satisfied with the sound that comes out of this thing, and has actually begun using it a lot more than my old system.

About 5 months ago, I got a BluRay player, and then began experiencing the pops. I sent the receiver to the store to get fixed, and got it back with 1.16 firmware, and a lot less pops, so now i'm not that worried about destroying my speakers...

This leaves me with the problem of listening to CD. It seems I can only listen to CD via analogue input, as all my players seems to start a new stream every time a new track begins. It takes a small amount of time for the receiver to get out of mute between each track, which means that the first bit of each number is cut. I have a nice track with Scatman John called "Time", which starts immediately with the word "Time". This track is cut to start with "ime", with maybe a hint of the "T" at the beginning.

Is there a fix for this issue, or do i need to go back to analogue again?

I have tried the following digital transports (cut beginning):
NAD C545BEE (coax, optical)
Oppo 983 (hdmi)
Panasonic BD55 (hdmi)
Sony RDR-HX820 (hdmi)
Sony CDP-970 (optical)

I have tried the following analogue transports (no problem):
Sony CDP-970
NAD C545BEE
post #2278 of 4311 Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Nope. The firmware and hardware resistor mods both dumb down the response time of the DSP. I ended up having my entire unit replaced by NAD after the hardware modification due the slow response time to sudden input signals just like you describe. The new 775 I have does not seem to have the response time problem and is at V.1.18 so maybe an firmware update for you will help.

Now the only issue I have is with the PS3. I honestly believe now that there is an incompatibility between the TI DSP and the PS3 specifically and don't blame NAD since they don't design and engineer the DSP. The new HD cards coming out use a different DSP altogether so I'm holding out for an eventual fix at that time. Fingers crossed.

Jason.

post #2279 of 4311 Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Its worth noting that you cannot upgrade to any video card without a corresponding audio card and vice versa. Whether your after a 100 or 200 for Audio or Video, you have to get at least a 100 counterpart to make it all work.

Now WHERE exactly does this information come from - besides these threads.

I asked about this exact issue in the shop regarding upgrade of a T775, and they seem to think that decoding of new codecs (DTS MA and DD TruHD) and audyssey is a function of the AMx00 card. As the HDMI already supports 1.3a and transfer of the stream to the receiver, it shouldn't be necessary to upgrade to the VMx00 card. Likewise, If you just want the extra video processing options, You should be fine with just the VMx00 cards.

This is of course just what the shop thinks, and is not supported by any actual information we can point to as a definitive source.
post #2280 of 4311 Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Nope. The firmware and hardware resistor mods both dumb down the response time of the DSP. I ended up having my entire unit replaced by NAD after the hardware modification due the slow response time to sudden input signals just like you describe. The new 775 I have does not seem to have the response time problem and is at V.1.18 so maybe an firmware update for you will help.

Okay... Back to the shop it goes - as soon as the new boards get here.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page