The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2431 of 4310 Old 07-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fwiw - I'm not finding the dynamic volume or dynamic eq very useful. I suppose the dynamic eq could be useful if you frequently listen at lower volumes and really feel the sound is lacking dynamics, but I never listen @ low volume so not really a concern for me. The dynamic volume setting on light already starts to "muffle" the sound a bit and offers no real noticable improvement on loud commercials, and using medium or especially heavy settings start to ruin the sound quality IMO. I'm going to have to take another look at the differences between AM100 and AM200 as I'm not sure if it's just the addition of the dynamic eq/vol and the extra DSP if it's worth the extra money...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 4310 Old 07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughej View Post

fwiw - I'm not finding the dynamic volume or dynamic eq very useful. I suppose the dynamic eq could be useful if you frequently listen at lower volumes and really feel the sound is lacking dynamics, but I never listen @ low volume so not really a concern for me. The dynamic volume setting on light already starts to "muffle" the sound a bit and offers no real noticable improvement on loud commercials, and using medium or especially heavy settings start to ruin the sound quality IMO. I'm going to have to take another look at the differences between AM100 and AM200 as I'm not sure if it's just the addition of the dynamic eq/vol and the extra DSP if it's worth the extra money...

But you will lose some Audissey (see earlier postings) functionality going from the 785 to the am100.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2433 of 4310 Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

But you will lose some Audissey (see earlier postings) functionality going from the 785 to the am100.

Well that's too bad, if it means losing the Mult EQ XT or whatever it's called that has the NAD curve, that definitely helps in my room. I can't imagine how someone would be able to correct for loud commercials w/o also inhibiting the dynamics of the program material itself. Luckily most of my viewing is catching up with the DVR so it only matters when I hit play or rew/ffw inaccurately
I'm also still trying to figure out what the display settings are going to do for me, but for the most part the picture already does look outstanding. I should prob get the TV professionally calibrated anyway if I can find the right person locally to get it done through the VXP...
post #2434 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Dear All i finally received a new t775 upgraded with the cards (am 200 Vm 100). No popping sound experienced, my blue ray player is a PS3 and a pioneer 696 dvd player is also connected through HDMI to a pioneer 6 gen plasma panel. I had a T762 and from what i heard till now it seems to me that there wasn't a great change in sound from my old receiver.

Any way i have a probelm how can i make the receiver output an s video signal through HDMI? i have a ps2 connected using Svideo on input number 1. and i cannot find a way how to cros convert it to output using the 1 HDMI cable i have connected to the TV.

Also i can't find a way of what's being decoded by the receiver. I am outputting bitstream from the PS3 using HDMI. The nad is displaying the Dolby logo on the front OSD. When i enter the menu it says Direct. From the Blue ray i am selecting Dolby Digital HD (transformers)

Thanks
Robert
post #2435 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt767 View Post

Also i can't find a way of what's being decoded by the receiver. I am outputting bitstream from the PS3 using HDMI. The nad is displaying the Dolby logo on the front OSD. When i enter the menu it says Direct. From the Blue ray i am selecting Dolby Digital HD (transformers)

Thanks
Robert

I am not sure about the S-video up-convert, maybe its only on vm200 board?

If you push the display button on your remote several times, the Receiver's display will cycle through a few information displays and get you info on the material that is being decoded.

I'm still waiting on my am200 and vm200 upgrade cards
post #2436 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengazor View Post

If you push the display button on your remote several times, the Receiver's display will cycle through a few information displays and get you info on the material that is being decoded.

If the NAD is saying Direct then you aren't bitstreaming, it's getting LPCM. Do you have secondary audio enabled? I think that cancels bitstreaming. Also don't the 7x5 non-HDs convert s-video to hdmi? If the vm100 doesn't, that sounds like a loss of functionality. Can you try a composite video too?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2437 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie Parker View Post

Hey Ray... fancy seeing you in this thread.

I ...

Hi Sonnie, I just realized which 'Sonnie' you were. Good seeing you here also...

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #2438 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All of the video sources should automatically up-convert to HDMI (at least it does with the standard T-785). Maybe with the board upgrade you need to go into the software (settings) and set it to upconvert all video automatically.

Ray

Ray

post #2439 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I use a PS3 as well. If you choose bitstream in the PS3 you are forcing only Dolby Digital or standard DTS. The PS3 cannot bitstream the HD codecs so choosing bitstream means the PS3 is downconverting everything to the legacy codecs. If you get into the onscreen menu of the PS3 while a disc is playing you can see what format the PS3 is outputting (I believe you press the top triangle button and then the selection is the farthest to the right in the 2nd row up?). It will tell you what audio and video format are being output, and it will say Dolby Digital there even if you are choosing the TruHD track - because you told the PS3 to bitstream. You'll want to select PCM from PS3 if you want TruHD and MA, or get a blu-ray that bitstreams the HD codecs in order to have the NAD handle it...
post #2440 of 4310 Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM

People re wired the PS2 and its now working flawlessly, also the conversion is perfect no problems with it.

I think NAD is finally polishing its receivers to a competitive level. i will soon be looking into procuring maybe a pansonic or a pioneer blue ray player.

Thanks all
post #2441 of 4310 Old 07-30-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:

People re wired the PS2 and its now working flawlessly, also the conversion is perfect no problems with it.

I think NAD is finally polishing its receivers to a competitive level. i will soon be looking into procuring maybe a pansonic or a pioneer blue ray player.

Thanks all

You should consider the Oppo player as well if you are considering another player.
post #2442 of 4310 Old 07-31-2009, 05:36 AM
nek

I have posted this also in the audyssey thread.

Hey all long time no post!!

I have the Nad T785 AV receiver just powering a centre and surround back channel of a pair of HHB Circle 3 monitors - and Parasound Halo A51 powering 4 Mission 780 Argonaut floor standing loud speakers. These vintage speakers are legendary for their forward, bright detailed sound.

The issue I have is when I calibrate the speakers using audyssey - whilst the bass is dialed in perfect with my twin paradigm Servo 15's, there is a distinct loss of detail/high frequency through my argonauts - so much so that its almost unlistenable using the audyssey configuration!?

It states in the Manual 'MultEQ XT is designed to tame room acoustics without changing the sonic character of your loudspeakers' - well it certainly is cutting out a lot of high frequencies in my room?

Any ideas??

Ken
post #2443 of 4310 Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

nek,

On the Audyssey thread there is a very well put together guideline for running Audyssey, did you look at it? It has a lot of info on mic placement and issues. If you high freq are being cut out, I would assume that some of the mic positions used for setup may have been out of the speaker's range/axis (usually tweeters freq drop drastically beyond ~ 30deg point). Try the setup again and keep the mic positions placed between the speakers. Also, what curve are you using? The T785 and an extra curve (NAD) which slightly rolls off the highs for movies but may not be suited for music. Try the Audyssey curve for music.

Ray

Ray

post #2444 of 4310 Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm finding that the Flat EQ can work well for music when played at low to medium levels.

Remember that Audyssey is designed to make movie soundtracks sound like you are in a theater. The soundtracks are usually recorded bright to make up for the fact that the speakers are behind the screen and the fact that all the people, seats, and carpet in the theater absorb a lot of high frequencies. Audyssey tones down some of the exaggerated highs.

I still like NAD EQ a lot because it really gets the bass and mids right. No boom but still good impact and very smooth mids.

Try experimenting with the other EQ controls: Bump the treble a bit to compensate. I like bumping the "center dialog" about 4 dB on movies to improve voice clarity - it works in the mid to upper mid region and really helps clarity without sounding unnatural.
post #2445 of 4310 Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Saturday Audio http://saturdayaudio.com/ is now listing the upgrade cards on their site. It documents that the vm100 only has 3 hdmi ports. I've emailed them to see if they are in stock and to confirm the number of hdmi ports. I've seen conflicting information.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2446 of 4310 Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Saturday Audio http://saturdayaudio.com/ is now listing the upgrade cards on their site. It documents that the vm100 only has 3 hdmi ports. I've emailed them to see if they are in stock and to confirm the number of hdmi ports. I've seen conflicting information.

I ordered my AM200 and VM200 cards from them 3 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped from NAD
post #2447 of 4310 Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ordered my AM200 and VM200 cards from them 3 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped from NAD

They replied to my email that the cards haven't started shipping yet but expect them any day. He will verify on the number of hdmi ports on the vm100.

He confirmed the vm100 has 4 hdmi ports.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2448 of 4310 Old 08-03-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Phil,

Looks like you'll the be beta tester for us. Keep us posted on the value of adding these cards. It'll be interesting to read your report on both the audio and video side.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray

post #2449 of 4310 Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM

vm 100 4 hdmi in and one out Plus am 200 works flawlessly for me and i am very happy with the unit no pops or any bugs reported else where
post #2450 of 4310 Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
nek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

I'm finding that the Flat EQ can work well for music when played at low to medium levels.

Remember that Audyssey is designed to make movie soundtracks sound like you are in a theater. The soundtracks are usually recorded bright to make up for the fact that the speakers are behind the screen and the fact that all the people, seats, and carpet in the theater absorb a lot of high frequencies. Audyssey tones down some of the exaggerated highs.

I still like NAD EQ a lot because it really gets the bass and mids right. No boom but still good impact and very smooth mids.

Try experimenting with the other EQ controls: Bump the treble a bit to compensate. I like bumping the "center dialog" about 4 dB on movies to improve voice clarity - it works in the mid to upper mid region and really helps clarity without sounding unnatural.

I have tried re calibrating using the audyssey thread settings and still the high frequencies are being cut - thats not for me im afraid - i prefer to listen close to the original source as possible - Im am also having issues with the T785 with no output with the back surround channel and am having to reset the unit for it to come on all the time

It is going back to Nad for repair - whilst its back there can someone tell me what the fixes are for the popping issue (capacitor fix??) although I do not get this problem as i have no bluray or 1080p source at the moment - may as well get it done whilst its there

I just dont want Nad here in the UK to say that they have never heard of the issue - is Bob Moran over here admitting the popping issue and the fix

Cheers Guys

Ken
post #2451 of 4310 Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

So if I got the new cards for my 785, is there any market value for the old cards? I'm guessing the 775 & 785 shared the same cards, so maybe the 765 is the only model that may benefit from them. But could one take the cards out of a 775/785 and put them in a 765 or would the 765 firmware not recognize them or be able to use the 4th hdmi port, for example?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2452 of 4310 Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting thought Phil. Not sure if they share the same main (mother) board, so it may or may not work. The 765 is shorter than the 775 and 785, so may not have the physical room height-wise.

Ray

Ray

post #2453 of 4310 Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Interesting thought Phil. Not sure if they share the same main (mother) board, so it may or may not work. The 765 is shorter than the 775 and 785, so may not have the physical room height-wise.

Ray

765 and 775 are the same height - the 785 is taller. I think all the cards are cross compatible, but the firmware might be a problem. Call/email Bob Moran and ask...
post #2454 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

765 and 775 are the same height - the 785 is taller. I think all the cards are cross compatible, but the firmware might be a problem. Call/email Bob Moran and ask...

Hrm, this might be interesting if I could get some old t785 boards and get hdmi/pcm capability in my t765 cheaper than the brand new boards!!
post #2455 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 AM

I would be very surprised if you could get a T765 to process HDMI audio with any cards (either upgrades or from an old T775/T785).
post #2456 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

I would be very surprised if you could get a T765 to process HDMI audio with any cards (either upgrades or from an old T775/T785).

I would think so too, hardware and software wise
post #2457 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would think so too, hardware and software wise

Since there is a 765HD, I think you can upgrade to at least the am100 & vm100 cards with the new firmware, but I'm guessing the 765 firmware may not like the 775 cards.

But I sent Bob an email just to confirm... I'm sure they would prefer 765 owners buy the new HD cards from them vs an old 785 card from me

Phil Tomaskovic
post #2458 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Could you elaborate? Didn't realize at the time of purchase that the 765 was unlike its two bigger brothers and could not pass HDMI audio. My last NAD was a 3140 and it drove the Celestion Ditton 442's just fine. The 765 was more than FOUR times the rated output in stereo + Five more channels. How could I possibly need anything more? We live and occasionally learn...
post #2459 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia View Post

Could you elaborate? Didn't realize at the time of purchase that the 765 was unlike its two bigger brothers and could not pass HDMI audio. My last NAD was a 3140 and it drove the Celestion Ditton 442's just fine. The 765 was more than FOUR times the rated output in stereo + Five more channels. How could I possibly need anything more? We live and occasionally learn...

Since the 765 wasn't designed to deal with HDMI audio from the start it's nothing that say it will be able to do it now, hopefully NAD will confirm it soon for those who have asked about it. I nearly got the 765 myself but luckily I found this forum thread before I ordered it so I went for the 775 instead.
post #2460 of 4310 Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob Moran has confirmed that the old 785 cards would only work in 775 & 785. 765 software and board are not compatible.

Phil Tomaskovic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page