AVS Forum banner

Onkyo 605,705,805 for prepro?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  amheck 
#1 ·
I need a new receiver for hdmi 1.3 and the new audio formats. I have an ATI 2505 powering all my speakers. I just need a solid receiver for a prepro basically, and these seem to be best choices. If not needing the amp section is there any real benefit to getting a 805 instead of a 605 or even a 705. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Chuck

I now see the 605 doesnt have preouts. So 705 or 805

#2 ·
As a Prepro and not needing the amp section I think the things that may interest you are the 805 has a better THD number .05 vs .08, the highly regarded Burr Brown DACs and THX Ultra. The 705 has Cirrus Logic DACs (no slouch either, but short on WOW factor) and THX Select. My gut reaction would be, if the power isn't an issue but the wallet is, then 705. If you can throw the bucks at it and you believe the the aforementioned specs are really worth it than 805. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. Of course if you really need to throw bucks at it the Integra 9.8 would be an excellent option.

#3 ·
Yeah I think the Integra 9.8 might be a touch out of reach. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-82TS Elite right now, just have to sell it I guess. Im thinking the Onkyo's are a little more solid with the new features. Unless I just have a decent hd player do the audio and send it to LPCM. I need some advice on the whole thing in general. If my current Elite will be sufficient I wouldnt have a problem sticking with it. Like I said any more suggestions would be great.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.