The "Official" Lexicon MV-5 thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have not been able to find out a lot of mention concerning the new Lexicon MV-5 pre/pro. I spoke with Lexicon yesterday to get a little info out but was wondering if others on here have heard more.

I know it will handle multi channel audio via HDMI and pass the PCM signal which is just fine for the new audio codecs found in BD and HD DVD.

It seems to have 2 HDMI inputs. I also see that it will upconvert std def sources to 720P and 1080I not 1080P nor will it take a 1080P source like BD or HD DVD and pass it through. This is a little surprising.

Has anyone heard if the LOGIC 7 is the same in the MV-5 as the MC12 or 8 or 4. I have heard conflicting info regarding this. Someone mentioned that the Logic 7 is no different than what is found in the Harmon Kardon receivers.

I doubt Lexicon would put out a Lexicon processor even at this price point and not utilize the exact same LOGIC 7. Any info on this would be great.

I am looking for a reasonable cost seperate solution for a second set up and this looks promising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"Has anyone heard if the LOGIC 7 is the same in the MV-5 as the MC12 or 8 or 4. "

Per the owners manual Logic 7 in the MV-5 has none of the adjustments that it has in the MC processors.

And as far as L7 goes it isn't necessarily the same between the MC-12/8/4. L7 in v5 on the MC-12 (or the HD) is different then what is in MC-8/4 when running on 5.1 channel sources such a DD/DTS, the 5.1a input or LPCM over HDMI on the MC-12HD.

Shawn
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

1080P nor will it take a 1080P source like BD or HD DVD and pass it through. This is a little surprising.

Has anyone heard if the LOGIC 7 is the same in the MV-5 as the MC12 or 8 or 4. I have heard conflicting info regarding this. Someone mentioned that the Logic 7 is no different than what is found in the Harmon Kardon receivers.

This "processor" is already out of date and if you want logic 7 just buy a HK receiver so you can get 1080p ontop of it.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Some think it's just a repackaged HK 745; AFAIK there are no functional differences that indicate otherwise.

Noah
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Lexicon seems to have so many products now it is hard to keep it straight as to which one does what etc.

At this price point for the features included in the player it seems like they short changed you with not including the 1080P stuff. Oh well.

-- CUE
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
nor will it take a 1080P source like BD or HD DVD and pass it through.

If it can't do that, it's retarded. I did scan the manual in the video processor section and I didn't even see the number "1080p" printed. It's like it's not even addressed. Maybe someone with better eyes can read thru it too.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Just thought I would bump this thread as I just received and hooked up my MV-5 on Monday of this week.

I see where a lot of people are bashing this product for not having 1080p output. For me it is not a big deal since I have a first generation SXRD that will only accept 1080i and then upconvert internally to 1080p. In the future I will either get something outboard or hope that they do a software upgrade (not sure if this is even possible).

This is my first foray into Lexicon. I was already familiar with the MC1 as a couple of my friends have them and I was always impressed with the sound quality. Going from a B&K reference 200.7 amp and using a Sony ES receiver as a processor to the same amp and now the Lexicon to me has been a huge improvement.

Furthermore I was fortunate to get the unit at cost + 10% from a friend so I really can't complain.

When it is all said and done I am extremely happy with this unit and have no regrets whatsoever. Playing it for my wife was a thrill as I didn't even have to ask, just the look on her face told me she could hear a huge improvement, was in approval and was excited to hear more.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I spoke to Lexicon / Harman tech support and they said it is only HDMI 1.1 with no near term plans to upgrade. It comes with a single microphone and does "basic" equalization -- they feel customers using this piece are looking for improvement for speaker diffeciencies, not room correction. For a $2999 MSRP, and not doing 1080p, I may replace my MC-1 with a Yamaha 3800 and save the difference.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 

post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Any other MV-5 owners out there? I'm considering one of these units also. I haven't seen posts from many owners, but the few owners that have posted seem very pleased.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM

I got one. It's definitely a step up from my Rotel RSP 1068.

I feel like I should have done more research though, as that Integra 9.8 which seems to have lit everyone on fire sounds like it has fantastic sound quality and every feature the Lexicon is missing.

I think the MV-5 will serve me well for the time being but once I get a full 1080p set or a projector I am going to want something that can pass 1080p.

Also I am interested in hearing the new sound formats like DTS HD, which I guess my Lexicon cant decode.

Other than the distinct lack of features I really like how this thing sounds. The imaging is more accurate and the soundstage is absolutely huge compared to the old Rotel. It has a lot more grip on the Bass too. My subwoofer (Martin Logan Descent i) sounds noticeably deeper and tighter.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have an MC-8 for several years now, and I love the unit, however now that I have gone Blu-ray I am also looking for HDMI switching in 1080p.

Somebody mentioned the MV-5 will not do the new audio codecs via HDMI is that right?

I also have to agree Lexicon now has a lot more products, and good quality as well, but it looks like the are coming out with the products behind the power curve. I think ever since HK purchased them they have been pushed to the back burner.

What other hi quality processor should I look at that will pass all the new audio codecs (plus 7.1) and 1080P via HDMI?
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

Somebody mention the MV-5 will new due the new audio codecs via HDMI is that right?

No, to the best of my knowledge it is a HDMI 1.1 device with six channel (5.1) PCM support only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

What other hi quality processor should I look at that will pass all the new audio codecs (plus 7.1) and 1080P via HDMI?

The current list of SSPs supporting advanced high bit rate codecs is being tracked in the SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM or HBR Decoders thread. Its a very short list right now. By 2Q08, we should be able to add Denon, Cary, Krell, Marantz & B&K as shipping. However, the track record on release dates so far is very poor, due to issues with HDMI 1.3 chipset availability, and now with the most recent Cirrus DSP chipset approval from Dolby.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Any possibility that the MV-5 will be upgraded to pass a 1080p signal?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page