Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2001 Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello ron
i was working with sam for the last few days, he did mention a fella who used to be on the job, who he took care of pretty well.
Here is what we're working out---pio 92, kef 6001 (3), supercube III, and the bd30 panny bluray
i need to work on the aesthetics of the rears (waf ya know)
package so far - around 3K
Geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2001 Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Hey gang;

I tried some PCM uncompressed 5.1 audio track blu rays and they tended to sound flat when compare to DD HD or DTS HD MA audio tracks. I am going hdmi from the PIo bdp-95fd to the PIo vsx-92 avr and selecting auto surround. It seems that I am getting hardly any bass. Where or how can I adjust the bass for PCM tracks without changing the way it sounds for the DD HD and DTS HD MA audio tracks.

I feel the same way. Uncompressed when selected from a blu-ray disc lacks bass and regular ole DD sounds better. It's probably because we need to change the output on our blu-ray player or hd-dvd player to LPCM. If this is true then it would be a pain in the arse to have to go to setup on our players because it didn't have Master audio or TrueHD.
post #363 of 2001 Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Just got my 92 and love it,but can't seem to figure out multi in. I have my Pan 10a hooked to HDMI and 7 ch input. When I select multi in through input select the screen goes black and I get sound and no picture. Select BD again and picture comes up and sounds back though HDMI. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
post #364 of 2001 Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Have had a 92 for a few weeks and everything was doing well until today...

I have a PS3 as my content source and a XBR5 as the display. Until today 1080P via HDMI (with or without 24 fps enabled) worked fine. Today I fire up the PS3 and see a "NOT SUPPORT" in the Pioneer display. I reset the PS3 display modes and via the menus I can see that selecting the 1080P mode now shows "NOT SUPPORT" for the pioneer (and of course does not display anything).

The recent change was a couple days ago I updated to Sony PS3 2.0.1 software. Since then I watched (last night) Pirates AWE on blu-ray (at 1080P I assume) and the PS3 worked fine (as did the pioneer).

So my base assumption is that Sony updated there HDMI support which now makes the pioneer not understand the 1080P mode. I of course can confirm this but since I specifically got the 92 to support a 1080P display it is pretty worthless if it now fails to do this.

Going directly to the display works fine at 1080P. So it is clear it is some problem with the Pioneer 1080P support.

Any insights, similar reports. I did an internet search and found no info or reports on it but since it involves a few components I am not sure I would be able to find similar setups.

Geoff Stahl
San Jose, CA
post #365 of 2001 Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstahl View Post

Have had a 92 for a few weeks and everything was doing well until today...

I have a PS3 as my content source and a XBR5 as the display. Until today 1080P via HDMI (with or without 24 fps enabled) worked fine. Today I fire up the PS3 and see a "NOT SUPPORT" in the Pioneer display. I reset the PS3 display modes and via the menus I can see that selecting the 1080P mode now shows "NOT SUPPORT" for the pioneer (and of course does not display anything).

The recent change was a couple days ago I updated to Sony PS3 2.0.1 software. Since then I watched (last night) Pirates AWE on blu-ray (at 1080P I assume) and the PS3 worked fine (as did the pioneer).

So my base assumption is that Sony updated there HDMI support which now makes the pioneer not understand the 1080P mode. I of course can confirm this but since I specifically got the 92 to support a 1080P display it is pretty worthless if it now fails to do this.

Going directly to the display works fine at 1080P. So it is clear it is some problem with the Pioneer 1080P support.

Any insights, similar reports. I did an internet search and found no info or reports on it but since it involves a few components I am not sure I would be able to find similar setups.

Okay I bit more info. Seems the Pirates AWE left the PS3 in 24 fps mode (note setting the 24 fps mode in the PS3 takes a restart to take effect thus why I did not see this previously). The Pioneer 92 does not seem to recognize 1080P/24fps and will not pass it through. Does anyone else see this? One might need a movie that actually uses 24 fps as I think the PS3 does not normally run the UI in this mode (as I have always had it on/auto but until playing Pirates did not see a Pioneer HDMI issue).

So if anyone else has data on Pioneer 92 support for 1080P/24 would love to hear it. Thanks so much.

Geoff

Geoff Stahl
San Jose, CA
post #366 of 2001 Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay I bit more info. Seems the Pirates AWE left the PS3 in 24 fps mode (note setting the 24 fps mode in the PS3 takes a restart to take effect thus why I did not see this previously). The Pioneer 92 does not seem to recognize 1080P/24fps and will not pass it through. Does anyone else see this? One might need a movie that actually uses 24 fps as I think the PS3 does not normally run the UI in this mode (as I have always had it on/auto but until playing Pirates did not see a Pioneer HDMI issue).

So if anyone else has data on Pioneer 92 support for 1080P/24 would love to hear it. Thanks so much.

Geoff

I send 1080P/24 from my Tosh XA2 to the 92 and it's passed on to my Pio Plasma, which can accept 1080p/24.
It's not the Receiver.
THere is a problem with the new Pirates BRD and Disney/sony is working on a firmware fix.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #367 of 2001 Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My Pioneer Elite 92 passes 1080p24 just fine both from Toshiba XA2 & Pioneer Elite 94HD even without forced mode.

Vinod
post #368 of 2001 Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Geoff

It is a problem with the PS3 the work around is to disable the 24p on the PS3 and it will play.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #369 of 2001 Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenarchik View Post

hello ron
i was working with sam for the last few days, he did mention a fella who used to be on the job, who he took care of pretty well.
Here is what we're working out---pio 92, kef 6001 (3), supercube III, and the bd30 panny bluray
i need to work on the aesthetics of the rears (waf ya know)
package so far - around 3K
Geo

Geo:
yep I'm that guy. Retired 11 yrs. Sam is great guy. Plus that store is outta sight. I think their displays and media rooms blow BB away. In fact its the best BM store I've been to. Very impressive. Hope you enjoy your new equipment. I'm still working on finding the best in-walls. Haven't made a decision yet. Or might go with Diamond Case Systems Evolution furniture with built-in RBH LCR speakers...
Regards...

\\\\|////
~(.) (.)~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON
post #370 of 2001 Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 AM

Liked: 11
The wire FM antenna that comes with the 92 just won't work in my environment. I have a nice large outdoor antenna that I have been using for years and it ends in a regular coaxial F connector. How are we connecting from the coax to the back of the receiver? The included wire antenna has a little push on connector for the center pin only. For the coax I would like to continue the shielding up to the unit if possible.

What's the secret?
post #371 of 2001 Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Is anyone getting dialnorm applied to DTS-MA tracks on BD?

post #372 of 2001 Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

^ yes, its normal.
post #373 of 2001 Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll54 View Post

I just picked up my 92 today. I tried to hook up my Bryston 4B to run the fronts, but the hum was unbearable. Does anyone have any suggestions.

RLL

Hey, Just got my new VSX92 and have the same hum issue. Called both the vendor (Authorized Electronics) and Pioneer. My hum originates from the HDMI inputs -- all of them. Tried switching cables, outlets, etc., no improvement. Thought it might be a grounding issue but just have the house thoroughly inspected and all outlets are properly grounded. Pioneer told me IMMEDIATELY that the unit was defective, there should be no hum. Authorized Electronics tried to convince me the problem was grounding issues, but when I told them my electrician story, they very quickly agreed to send a replacement the very same day. Have you resolved your problem? Would like to know. Thanks and good luck. PS, other than the hum, the receiver seems fantastic.
post #374 of 2001 Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM

I just got the 92 and I'm having trouble with the video output to my display.

I've got all connections via HDMI. (DirecTV HR-20, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BD10AK, and Pioneer Elite DVD DV-48AV into receiver - and out to my TV) The receiver is not passing the image through to my TV correctly. It looks like its taking a 4:3 image and stretching it and it certainly doesn't look HiDef. The only thing I can find in the manual is the video options on page 72 about selecting "Video Parameters" but when I try to access these it won't let me past V.Conversion (the first menu item there). I assume I need to adjust some other settings in 'RES' and 'ASP' to correct my problem. Am I right and how do I get there? (There is a note in this section of the manual that says "Depending on the current status/mode of the receiver, certain options may not be able to be selected." I'm unsure what that means.) Thanks for the help.
post #375 of 2001 Old 12-15-2007, 07:58 AM

Got it.....sorry to bother you guys.......when I turned my equipment off then on again with my display being last.....it then recognized the HDMI connection.....trial and error!
post #376 of 2001 Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM

I own a onkyo 805 had it for a week sounds great but can't stand pause in audio when changing stations (HD) on D* hr20.When you go from one hd channel to another there is a slight delay before you hear any sound.Does the pioneer 92 have any audio delay when canging channels?Please someone chime in I am returning Okyo tonight a want to exchange it for pioneer.
post #377 of 2001 Old 12-17-2007, 12:02 PM

I do not experience any delays with my 92.
post #378 of 2001 Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 PM

I have a 92 & a 94 an have no delays on either receiver, both have D* HD boxes attached via HDMI.

HD Junkie
post #379 of 2001 Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridan View Post

I own a onkyo 805 had it for a week sounds great but can't stand pause in audio when changing stations (HD) on D* hr20.When you go from one hd channel to another there is a slight delay before you hear any sound.Does the pioneer 92 have any audio delay when canging channels?Please someone chime in I am returning Okyo tonight a want to exchange it for pioneer.

A buddy of mine has a new Onkyo and it does the same thing. (I don't recall the model number but he paid about $2k) Horrible audio lag after switching channels. (He has DTV as well, although I doubt that has anything to do with the issue.)
post #380 of 2001 Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello All,

I just picked up this receiver on Sunday from 6ave. My girlfriend got it for me as an early Christmas gift. I got a great deal on it at just around the four figure mark. I thought this to be an excellent price from an authorized dealer.

Anyway, I connected it yesterday and ran MCACC. It did a pretty good job calibrating for my room acoustics. I still have to compare what the receiver came up with against my own finds using the trusty old Radio Shack meter. I plan on doing this over the weekend.

I have the receiver connected to my Def Tech speakers: 7002,CLR2500,BP2X, and Super Cube 1. I am VERY pleased with the sound thus far. I can't imagine how much better everything will sound with a little more tweaking.

BTW, MCACC set my fronts and center as large (which they are) I then took the advice from a couple of people in this thread and made my sub Plus. So I get sweet thunder from ALL three front speaker PLUS my Supercube. It sounds fantastic.

I will post more findings later in the week. But initially, I really like the sound. I do have to crank the volume to -15 to get it at a decent level, but this may be some characteristic of this particular brand/model. My 5 year old Denon didn't have to go past -20 to produce the same volume. Anyway, more on that later when I do more testing and tweaking.

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread,
Joe
post #381 of 2001 Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthx View Post

A buddy of mine has a new Onkyo and it does the same thing. (I don't recall the model number but he paid about $2k) Horrible audio lag after switching channels. (He has DTV as well, although I doubt that has anything to do with the issue.)

92 owners thanks for the replys about no audio lag with your units. I returned my okyo 805 yesterday and am now the proud owner of a pioneer 92.Guess what no audio lag like the onkyo,must be the processor in the onkyo ,poor design and very annoying.
post #382 of 2001 Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Finally decided which receiver to go with after much debate. It came down to the Marantz 7002, Pioneer 94TXH, and Pioneer 92TXH. I ruled out the Onkyo because I just think they are very bright. I was willing to give them a shot this time, but after reading all the audio lag and video issues; I scratch them off the list. The Marantz I didn't get to demo and was going to go with it until I found the Pios at a great price. I demoed the Pio's and they sound the same, so it came down to price/value as to whether I would really use the Ethernet port or need the extra HDMI and watts of the 94TXH. I do not, so the 92TXH it is.
post #383 of 2001 Old 12-20-2007, 04:09 AM

me too tech
THE SHOPPING IS OVER
I went with:
Pio EliteVSX 92
KEF 6000 and 6001 l/r/c
KEF psw 2500
Panny BD30 Blu Ray
4 Kef in ceiling sats (160QSI)
$3875
WISH ME LUCK SETTING IT ALL UP!
geo
Thanks to all the guys on these threads for all the help.
post #384 of 2001 Old 12-20-2007, 06:06 PM

I have just added a Toshiba A35 HD DVD player to my 92, but cannot get the DolbyTruHD to play. Even when bitstreaming it only gets DD+. Any ideas on how to set up correctly?

Thanks,

Scott
post #385 of 2001 Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mat View Post

I have just added a Toshiba A35 HD DVD player to my 92, but cannot get the DolbyTruHD to play. Even when bitstreaming it only gets DD+. Any ideas on how to set up correctly?

Thanks,

Scott

I do not know, I just picked up an A30 and it sends everything PCM. I assume you have chosen that track to play, because most discs have both tracks on them. I am curious about one thing: When I use my Panny BD30 or PS3 and play any BD disc, the sound level is always near -30 or -32 and it is loud enough. Now since I have the A30, all the discs play at -23 to -25. With the BD discs, this would be too loud, but not with the A30. Any thoughts as to why the A30 would output sound at a lower level?
post #386 of 2001 Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Why does the auto calibration select LARGE for speakers? I don't understand this. It sounds much better when I put it at small. Using paradigm studio 40's. Anyone prefer Large over Small and if so why? I do understand that I get more bass out of front speakers but my sub isn't as strong even if I put it at the PLUS setting.
post #387 of 2001 Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

Why does the auto calibration select LARGE for speakers? I don't understand this. It sounds much better when I put it at small. Using paradigm studio 40's. Anyone prefer Large over Small and if so why? I do understand that I get more bass out of front speakers but my sub isn't as strong even if I put it at the PLUS setting.

I have NHT floors, center and a Velodyne sub and I leave them set to large. I noticed that when set to small, I felt like I lost some of the tightness of the bass that the NHT's give me. At large, the NHT's do their job and I send only the LFE to the velo. This seems to sound the best for me. Sometimes the sub can muddy the bass and makes normal bass sounds , not LFE, not as crisp as I want them.
post #388 of 2001 Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Scott Mat,
To bitstream on the A35 set
spdif: pcm
hdmi: auto
Digital D audio mode : on

post #389 of 2001 Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
jcs913 ,
What NHT speakers do you have. I'm running 2 NHT VT 1.2 towers, 2 VS satellites, 2superzero and VA-2a as center channel.

post #390 of 2001 Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM

thanks in part to this thread i'm the proud new owner of an elite vsx92
thrilled with the sound so far - but i've been farting around with buttons on the lower part of the remote - s.direct, SBch and the like and now I get no real sound thru the sub- playing movies on the BD we have tons of subwoofer and it's awesome ---and befrore i futzed around - at first - my HDTV broadcast had all kinds of sub...i musta messed something up....any ideas?
g
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Sony Bdp S1 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Yamaha Rx V995 Surround Receiver With Dolby Digital And Dts Decoding , Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page