post #541 of 2001 Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

What am I doing wrong? I have several movies with PCM soundtracks (like Descent) and the 92TXH only shows DD EX or PLIIx. I have the player set to bitstream on everything as suggested. My Onkyo 705 would show PCM but the Pio does not (with same setup, all HDMI).
Any suggestions? Do I need to change the BD30 settings? Pio tech support was less than helpful on this.

Try selecting audio button on the DVD player itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2001 Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonperk View Post

mridan,

Although setting the sub to "plus" didn't help, here's how to set it:
1. select "set-up" on remote
2. the on-screen menu will display
3. select "6. manual SP setup" then select "a. speaker settings"
4. change Front to "Large"
5.scroll to SW and use arrow keys to change from yes to "plus".
see page 47 of manual.

good luck!

Jon

You must hit the receiver button on the remote first!!
post #543 of 2001 Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 View Post

I believe you are correct - However:

By connecting via HDMI directly to the monitor, the SD channels will be up'ed by the monitor. I had it that way and SD was substandard; the 92 does a far superior job at upping and I haven't noticed any loss on HD channels.

One of my main reasons for buying the 92 was just for this purpose. There is a night and day difference. I can actually enjoy watching SD channels now.

When the 92 takes a SD 480p and ups it to 1080p then my Sharp does nothing to it.

When the Comcast box sends 1080i into the 92 then the 92 does nothing to it and it is sent directly to the Sharp to be up'ed to 1080p

Either way the signal is altered only once.

Someday all the Comcast channels will be in HD and I can get rid of some cabling - someday...

I have my cable(charter cable) running into a Belkin pf60 surge protector, then a cat5 cable(jumper) running to the Motorola DCH-6200 cable box, hdmi cable running to the 92 Pioneer, hdmi from the 92 to a Pioneer Fhd1 plasma. I am blown away by the picture on sd and hd. I have everything plugged into the Belkin surge protector.

The cable box i have 4:3 to default to 480i and hd 1080i. I think that is how it is set up. I am now going to dig in the 92 receiver manual and try to program the cable box channels and the cable remote to the 92 remote. I need to cut down on remotes. If i can't, i guess i'll buy a Harmony.
post #544 of 2001 Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

I was trying to use my 92 remote with a Pioneer Pro-Fhd1 plasma. I was on page 77 of the 92 manual and was pressing receiver and setup, going thru the steps to ty to use most of the things my fhd1 remote does. I can bring up the menu, exit or return and go in the menu and make selections. I haven't been able to choose standard, pure, etc or screen size or etc.

Anyone in here played around with the 92 remote and should i use the learning process? I want to try to use the 92 remote and do away with my fhd1 remote and maybe see if i can do away with my charter cable remote. Will the 92 remote show menu, info, and alot of things my charter remote will do? If not, maybe i need to get a Harmony remote.
post #545 of 2001 Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

I need to replace my 72TXV that the UPS man crushed for me, and I was thinking about getting the 92TXH. Reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of people still having various issues hooking up their gear, getting the LFE to sound right, etc. Should I be concerned? Should I go with a different brand/model? The last thing I want is to get this receiver and then find out it is buggy, and I need to get the firmware upgraded or something.

I will be hooking up the following, all via HDMI:

Panny AE900U Proj
Toshiba A3 HD DVD
HD DVD Cable Box
XBOX 360
PS3

I have an Oppo HDMI switch to give me the extra required HDMI inputs. Does anybody anticipate my having issues with this receiver? Or are the lots of happy 92TXH owners out there?
post #546 of 2001 Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajandrew View Post

I need to replace my 72TXV that the UPS man crushed for me, and I was thinking about getting the 92TXH. Reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of people still having various issues hooking up their gear, getting the LFE to sound right, etc. Should I be concerned? Should I go with a different brand/model? The last thing I want is to get this receiver and then find out it is buggy, and I need to get the firmware upgraded or something.

I will be hooking up the following, all via HDMI:

Panny AE900U Proj
Toshiba A3 HD DVD
HD DVD Cable Box
XBOX 360
PS3

I have an Oppo HDMI switch to give me the extra required HDMI inputs. Does anybody anticipate my having issues with this receiver? Or are the lots of happy 92TXH owners out there?

I wanted the 94 but BB was out of stock and I didn't want to wait a week. After a month I am really pleased with the outcome. I have no issues with this receiver other than the fact that it has a ton of options that are going to take a long time to master. The LFE thing is non existent to me. I had to set the LFE to plus after I set my front speakers to large, otherwise it was hardly audible. Otherwise it has been perfect and I am completely happy with it.
post #547 of 2001 Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to order my 92 from a company called Authorized Electronics.com. Does anyone know anything about them, good or bad? Their price is with shipping is about $860. Does anyone know of a better deal?

Also, I have a question about the player. I've been reading comments here about the 95 vs panny. My projector is the JVC RS2 onto a 110" studio tek 130. Until I get a Blu ray, I would like to have something to play all of my kids dvds on (Cars, Monsters Inc., etc..) My current dvd player is over six years old. Does a dvd player that says it upconverts to 1080 improve the picture of these SD dvds? What will happen to picture quality just by plugging my older dvd player into the 92, does it upconvert the sd dvds? My kids have a lot of these dvds and I would like to have something to get the best performance out of them. Do you guys just use your BR player for these sd dvds, does that even work?

Sorry for all the questions. This is probably pretty basic stuff for you guys, but it's my first real HT. I bought my FP and 92 after reading these forums. Thanks for the help.
post #548 of 2001 Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

I love mine. I have the 92, have front speakers set to small. This receiver has so much on it, it will take us all awhile to learn everything on it or it does me. I do not have a dvd player yet but i have the cable box running thru this and sd and hd looks fantastic on my Pioneer plasma. Everything is hooked up thru hdmi.

I have a Sony 200 disc changer hooked up and alot of cd's was ripped at 128 bit rate and even at this low bit rate i like what i am hearing from the 92 receiver and b&w speakers and sub. Not all my cdr's are ripped this low but it seems to do good on even lower bit rates. The reason i did not get a 94 was because i wanted a Squeezebox or Sonos. $860.00 sounds good to me as i payed alot more for mine but i got mine from a retail store but they cut alot off my plasma, so i went ahead and got the 92. I am not having any probs with mine and it sounds great to me.
post #549 of 2001 Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates released for this receiver?
post #550 of 2001 Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I am not sure on any firmware updates. I wanted to mention in an earlier post about programming my 92 remote. Now i see why you need a seperate or Harmony remote. I have a motorized mount to turn my plasma and i programmed this remote in the 92. So one remote done with, then i programmed my fhd1 plasma remote into the 92 remote, 2 remotes down, now my charter cable remote and it has alot of things to program and i have rum out of spots to program. I got most of it, so looks like a Harmony remote at some point.

I am guessing on any firmware updates you would probably have to send the reveiver back in or back to where you got it from, i am guessing.
post #551 of 2001 Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by worduphod View Post

Does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates released for this receiver?

There haven't been any firmware releases yet.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #552 of 2001 Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Does anybody have a BD30 hooked to their 92 and use it for SD dvds? The BD30 forum has several posts that say it's a great BR player but not very good with SD discs. I should receive mine next week and wondering if I would do better to have the 92 do the upconversion. Does this make sense and what is the setting. Thanks, I'm still learnin'.
post #553 of 2001 Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon802 View Post

I just replaced my Denon AVR3801 with a VSX92 and I have the Samsung BDUP-5000. I am running a 7.1 configuration as with my 3801 receiver. The Samsung is connected to the vsx92 via the HDMI. Do I need to have any other audio cables connected besides the HDMI in order to receive Dolby true audio? I have played a DVD and have selected Dolby true audio on the DVD and the vsx92 display does not seem to display Dolby true HD audio.
Does anyone know what settings I might be missing or need to do? The Denon was a piece of cake to setup this one seems like a completely different beast.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce.

RTFM
post #554 of 2001 Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Well, I ordered my 92TXH on Friday, should be here Tuesday, unless I am able to run to the UPS dist center tomorrow evening and pick it up. I was looking at the Onkyos, but all the talk about them running hot made me nervous. Then I looked at the Denons, but you tend to get less for more with those, as compared to the Pioneer. I liked my old 72TXV a lot, so I decided the 92TXH would probably be best for me.

Anyway, I am stoked to get it all hooked up. Hopefully the UPS man can refrain from dropping this one on my porch...
post #555 of 2001 Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Has anyone had the problem with the receiver locking up? I mean I have no control at all. I can't change any setting at all and can't even turn power off or change anything with the remote or input dial. The screen is lit but unchangeable. It seems to happen when trying to change to different surround modes or by pressing the THX button. Receiver is turned on first then HD DVD player. The only way to power off was to unplug and reset. I have sucessfully watched a couple HD DVD's in standard surround. I have a Toshiba Hd DVD player hda2ku connected with HDMI and optical cable. Any ideas or has anyone had this problem? Receiver is new and manufactured in Nov. 2007.
post #556 of 2001 Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I would reset back to factory settings and then check your inputs. Also, does this only happen when you use the remote? If so, I would put new batteries in it.

Bill
post #557 of 2001 Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjetpilot View Post

Does anybody have a BD30 hooked to their 92 and use it for SD dvds? The BD30 forum has several posts that say it's a great BR player but not very good with SD discs. I should receive mine next week and wondering if I would do better to have the 92 do the upconversion. Does this make sense and what is the setting. Thanks, I'm still learnin'.

I use the 92 with the BD 30 and it works great, the BD 30 like virtually any receiver will not upscale HDMi, so unless you want to also hook it up with component to your system, you're stuck with the upconversion it does not not rely on the 92. Your TV may do some upconversion/clean up of the signal that comes in as well. The blu-ray on it is great and in the 3 weeks I've had it I've tried to only rent blu-ray ;-)....That being said the SD upconversion looks OK.
post #558 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM

I have just purchased the 92txh receiver. I have some aperion speakers on the way. And, I hope real soon to have my blu-ray player and 6010fd Kuro Plasma. I have two questions:

1. Is there a need to have a power conditioner? Or will a surge protector do? And does anyone have any good suggestions on conditioners/protectors (whichever I need)?

2. I believe I'm gonna be purchasing my cables from monoprice. My question is there a difference from one hdmi cable to the next? Do I need a certain type of hdmi cable based on the equipment I will have?

Any suggestions on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #559 of 2001 Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I posted this in another thread reguarding all of the Pioneer Elites, but I should have posted here first.

I've been eyeballing a "open box" 92 at Best Buy that is priced at $999, is this a good deal? It is complete with original box and sealed with BB tape. What do new 92 ususally go for?
post #560 of 2001 Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I went to Magnolia yesterday and the 92 was going for $999. Not open box. You should be getting a better deal than that, IMO.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #561 of 2001 Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

If your subwoofer has a "phase" control knob, where should it be set at during MCACC? I'm pretty sure the receiver takes care of everything with the "standing wave" auto-cal but just in case, any opinions?
post #562 of 2001 Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
To "zero".
post #563 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfarris View Post

1. Is there a need to have a power conditioner? Or will a surge protector do? And does anyone have any good suggestions on conditioners/protectors (whichever I need)?

2. I believe I'm gonna be purchasing my cables from monoprice. My question is there a difference from one hdmi cable to the next? Do I need a certain type of hdmi cable based on the equipment I will have?

1. - I personally believe the power conditioners are worth the expense. I've got one on both of my receiver / TV HT setups (VSX-94 in the living room and a VSX-92 in the game room) and have noticed better quality sound and picture on each after installation. When I say better quality, I mean it removed pops and hisses in the audio and occasional static on the picture. As soon as I post this, the next guy will come along and say that power conditioners are a waste of money. Do your research and decide for yourself, but I for one recommend one if you've spent several thousand bucks on a nice home theater setup. If you decide to get one, shop around as you can find some units from authorized resellers that are last year's model for really cheap. I used Panamax on my setups and found last year's $800 top of the line unit at Crutchfield selling for $325 recently. Also Check Best Buy's open box stuff too if there is one in your area.

2. - I use HDMI cables from Monoprice and have been since I went HD back in 2006. At first I was unsure about them, but then I tested them side by side against a $100 Monster cable on my Sony XBR3 LCD and could not tell one bit of difference in PQ. At that point I stuck with the $12 monoprice cable and returned the Monster one to Best Buy and never looked back. I am sure if you hooked up some electronic metering device to the cables and tested them, there might be a slight difference between the two, but not visible to the common person. Just make sure you order the latest HDMI specification available (i.e. 1.3*). I have also heard good things about Blue Jeans cable.

Hope that helps.

HD Junkie
post #564 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:

I have just purchased the 92txh receiver. I have some aperion speakers on the way. And, I hope real soon to have my blu-ray player and 6010fd Kuro Plasma. I have two questions:

Any suggestions on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No and no. In 40 years of audio I still haven't heard a single objectively reported case of a component failing because of "unconditioned" power, surges or sags. It appears to me to be a masterful marketing job on the part of people who manufacture these things. They sell protection for things that appear not to need it. It is a solution looking for a problem in my experience. The only thing I know that will damage your equipment is a lightning strike and no amount of conditioning or protection will prevent that. So you might want to unplug your equipment during electrical storms.

Digital cables are digital cables. All those that work at all, work the same. You can worry about bandwidth if that appeals to you but I'm not aware of anything in current home audio technology that requires anything more than any digital cable that works at all.

Two non issues. Good luck with the system.
post #565 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info. That was what I was thinking, but just thought I would ask for another opinion. Do you have any recommendations on a good surge protector that would serve my system well?
post #566 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 PM

I've read through this whole thread and didn't see this mentioned. Also, I can't get the manual to load on my computer so I will ask the question.

Does the 92 have two sub inputs and can they be set indepently of each other? (output and crossover)

Thank you!
post #567 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Assuming you mean two sub OUTPUTS, the answer is no. And that answer would also apply to every other receiver on the market. You are going to have to look into an outboard x-over to achieve that (why?).
post #568 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. That was what I was thinking, but just thought I would ask for another opinion. Do you have any recommendations on a good surge protector that would serve my system well?

Too Funny - just like I said, the next guy would do... Just be sure to do your homework and get all the facts before leaning one way or the other so you are confident in your decision. We all offer lots of opinions in these forums, but I'd recommend not make any decisions solely based on what we post here.

Good luck!

HD Junkie
post #569 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

No and no. In 40 years of audio I still haven't heard a single objectively reported case of a component failing because of "unconditioned" power, surges or sags.

What? It happens all of the time in the computer world and in the audio world as well (less frequently). I know for a fact that my Panamax does filter the AC line as it prevented various forms of interference on my system before I ran a dedicated circuit to my living room.

Now I won't argue that the Panamax filter actually improved the audio and video quality when no interference was present, but it DID prevent interference from happening.

And I can't believe anyone would argue against the use of a surge protector. Line conditioner, yes. Surge protector, no.
post #570 of 2001 Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Assuming you mean two sub OUTPUTS, the answer is no. And that answer would also apply to every other receiver on the market. You are going to have to look into an outboard x-over to achieve that (why?).

Thanks for the reply rynberg! Yes, I meant outputs. Actually, the Sony ES receiver I have now (old) has 2 sub outs, although no way to indepently adjust crossovers. I have an Anthony Gallo Acoustics surround speaker system with the small orbs and their sub designed with that package. I was wanting to upgrade my sub and retain their sub and run as a "pseudo" mid bass sub with reduced output and a higher cross over. I'm afraid if I take the Gallo sub out of the mix there will be a big hole to fill. More than anything I was wanting options to be able to play with. I think the best option will be to wire the front left and right into the sub, effectively running them full range (using the Gallo sub crossover) with the other sub ran off the receiver. Oh, the "other" sub will be a AV123 MFW-15. I just figured the more options I had the better!

Thanks again for the response!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Sony Bdp S1 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Yamaha Rx V995 Surround Receiver With Dolby Digital And Dts Decoding , Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page